A Look Back at the Stevie Johnson Trade

The Trade  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Was it a good trade?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Could we have used SJ13 on the 2014/15/16 Bills?

• Yes
    • No

Why did we ever trade Bobby Chandler? Why didn't we re-sign Joe Cribbs? Why did we let Biscuit and Conlan go? Who the !@#$ decided to let Bruce, Thurman, and Andre walk the same year? Did we HAVE to trade OJ to SF? :ph34r: Why did we let Chris Spielman go to Cleveland for "past considerations"? Did we really let James Lofton walk? Why did Don Beebe not get re-signed... he won a SuperBowl. And how in the Hell did Ron McDole ever get away? We drafted Tom Cousineau and let him get away. Seriously? :wallbash:

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did we ever trade Bobby Chandler? Why didn't we re-sign Joe Cribbs? Why did we let Biscuit and Conlan go? Who the !@#$ decided to let Bruce, Thurman, and Andre walk the same year? Did we HAVE to trade OJ to SF? :ph34r: Why did we let Chris Spielman go to Cleveland for "past considerations"? Did we really let James Lofton walk? Why did Don Beebe not get re-signed... he won a SuperBowl. And how in the Hell did Ron McDole ever get away? We drafted Tom Cousineau and let him get away. Seriously? :wallbash:

I find it funny that those who deride topics on TBD the most are the ones who never have anything to add.

Your crusade is TBD's least entertaining. But what it lacks in entertainment it makes up for in volume, ten fold.

Crusade is right... What do you think about the Stevie trade? Well Whaley is an idiot, Watkins too fragile and expensive, blah blah blah #1 blah blah.

Some facts pertinent to the op:

- we have already witnessed SJ13s production in Greg Romans offense. It was not even half of the production of Anquan Bolden.

-while SJ13 had three 1000 yard seasons with fitz, he has not gotten anywhere near that production without. (Perhaps it takes a Harvard degree to figure out where the hell he is going)

- several independent football coaches and/or players noted his "unique" route running as problematic to their offense

Imo- getting something for him in trade was worthwhile. I expect this could be his last season based on his production trend.

He may have also logged 1,200 yards, we don't know, do we. That's like saying that DeMarco Murray would have played just as poorly on Dallas again as he did last season when it's a leap in logic to say something as such. Johnson did better under Manuel than any other WR we've had, including Sammy.

Most teams just don't trade away a reasonably priced player like Stevie that set a franchise record for a 4th rounder that nets a backup RB in another trade that eventually gets cut.

We should have drafted a WR in this draft and to think that instead of letting Ryan's son do our scouting we could have had Treadwell had Whaley had any balls to do his job correctly, instead of Lawson who's injured and unlikely to do anything this season, maybe we wouldn't have our entire offensive season rely on the health of a single player that hasn't even remotely proven the ability to stay healthy for even half a season.

Poor planning, poor management, idiotic vision.

What you call "volume" is actually substance, which includes data, facts, and substantiation for the opinions and positions that I render.

Beats most of what gets posted here for content. I'd take a whole lot more "volume" from most posters in a NY second rather than merely unsubstantiated opinions as if opinions lacking any substantiation, much less actually contrary to facts that are out there yet not presented, as if those same opinions are facts merely because the poster says so.

No, its a litany of terrible opinions. Any "substance "you provide in the way of facts are either cherry picked to suit your agenda or so completely (often comically) misinterpreted that occasionally I suspect you're just trolling. But since I've read this diatribe so many times over the past few months, in so many different threads, I can only conclude that you're serious.

Marrone and SJ never got along which is why SJ was traded. There isn't much more to it. Instead you're blasting away at Whaley, per usual. Now you're criticizing the Lawson pick in favor of Treadwell and using that as the basis to criticize the Bills front office. More of your unadulterated, agenda driven, BS and speculation, or as you call it "substance".

Given that the Bills made the trade with the Browns to move up in the draft, ask yourself -- would the Bills be better if they'd selected Kahlil Mack and kept SJ; if they'd selected Sammie and kept SJ and let someone else go because of too many $ spent on WRs; or if they did what they did.

My preference ALWAYS was that they should have taken Mack. I realize the D was awesome at that point, but a lot of those D players are gone and suddenly they're looking for depth or starters at LB and DE.

Mack >>> Watkins

This was Whaley's least talked about moves in recent years, but it keeps coming back to me while thinking about the Bills' struggle to find a solid #2 WR who is consistent.

Was the trio of Watkins, SJ, and Woods not going to work in 2014? Was there something to the idea that it was "Sammy's team" after the 14 draft and SJ had to go? Was a conditional 4th rounder really worth a receiver who just finished the year as the #1?

Would you feel better in the 2016 offseason with SJ on this team?

Banging the ole Whaley hate drum from anew angle I see. SJ was the number one among nothing. Fitz had no choice but to throw to him because of that. His drop in the Steelers game is epic.and would have been the worst in Bills history if it was a playoff game like Ronnie Harmon. Your name sake Chan Gaily had enough of his crap and sat him in games. No it was time to sweep the trash out the door and he lived up to being a good 7th round pick, nothing more.

Are we analyzing the trade or just whining about past glory? In the past two years SJ has played in 23 games, gaining just over 900 yards and has 6 touchdowns. These are Chris Hogan like numbers. The Bills received a third round draft choice in 2015 for him, which turned out to be John Miller. Call me crazy, but I do not see how SJ is any better than the mix of receivers on the roster now. I would rather have Miller. As long as we are being nostalgic about the past, let's put the band back together and bring in Fitz and Gailey. SJ could post some numbers, but we would lose 10 games. Just like old times.

Stevie and Chandler are the same type of player for me. Good guys, played hard, but were not winners. When given the opportunity to effect the outcome of a game in a positive manner, they would fail. I mean late in the game and make a big play. Not just the drops, but also not getting open.

SJ just doesn't run discipline routes and that was a thorn in the side of our OC's and QB's after Fitz

SJ proved how good of a WR he was when he was traded. Do not miss him and the trade was fine

It was a thorn for disciplinarian Marrone mostly.

Can't wait to see Woodsy shut a lot of people up this year.

FWIW.......people like Ryan L couldn't wait for Stevie to shut up the haters when he was traded to his hometown, SB runner-up 49ers.

Stevie is irrelevant now.

Woods has been a disappointment the last two seasons.....if he's ever going to have a breakout year it will be this one........but there is still the matter of doing something he hasn't done in the 3 years he's been in the league.......play up to the hype.

Loved Stevie, didn't miss him then don't miss him now.

something like this.

I do not now how he would have done under Roman.

But would he have added value in the slot over Hogan or a # 4 option?

Maybe.

I do not miss him either.

Not sure how folks got ranting about Watkins and Whaley though.

For Bryce Brown straight up ? Nope not good.

For a 4th

about right.

Marrone did not want that kind of player is all it was really. Even though Bills had nothing better to offer at the time

Edited by 3rdand12

Im not a fan of trading up for a WR, no matter how good Watkins becomes. I wont support the move. Trading Stevie however was a good move. Time to move on.

The Bills still do things that I dont understand, trading up for WRs and spending big assets on RBs.

That's an obnoxious statement

Johnson was shot, good trade.

Im not a fan of trading up for a WR, no matter how good Watkins becomes. I wont support the move. Trading Stevie however was a good move. Time to move on.

The Bills still do things that I dont understand, trading up for WRs and spending big assets on RBs.

and skimping out on QB an HC