Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

Will a Buffalo pro or college team in any sport be a winner? I recently got into a cab and was asked by the driver where do you want to go. I said Losersville. He turned the meter on and said Buffalo here we come. :bag:

UB basketball won their conference two years in a row and went to the NCAAs. So you got your wish.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

UB basketball won their conference two years in a row and went to the NCAAs. So you got your wish.

I salute them. The coach did a fantastic job. They deserve more local recognition for their accomplishment. In addition to being good they play an entertaining brand of ball. They are fun to watch.

I'm not declaring the situation a disaster. Has Murray made mistakes? Of course. Any GM who makes a lot of deals and personnel decisions is not going to have all of them working out in his favor.

Murray gave up a first round pick to Ottawa for Lehner, a goalie they didn't even want to keep. The first round pick was used for one of the top prospects in the league. The Kulikov deal certainly hasn't work out.

The biggest miscalculation the GM made was how he stocked his blue line. He was basically trying to buy time with declining veteran players who were past the point of expiring. So unquestionably that is on him,

Entering the season the Sabres were considered a fringe wild-card contending team. That is exactly what they are. What has magnified the frustration over the rebuild is that Toronto, who was considered behind us, has catapulted ahead of us on its way to the playoffs. That gets a lot of people mad who had different expectations for these teams.

The Sabres are where they are for the simple reason that they don't have enough talent. There are players in the pipeline and additional deals have to be made to rework the roster. I'm as frustrated as anyone else but in reality we are where we should be, on an upward trajectory that isn't high enough and hasn't come fast enough for most people.

If one doesn't have enough patience then get off the bus and ride on another mode of transportation. That's life: Expectations not catching up to reality. If you think it is bad in the hockey world it could be worse. Buffalo Bills fans are in a much perilous position with no end in sight to their normal state of chaos and futility.

Upward trajectory?

There are 6 teams in the NHL that can't match our point total with their games in hand. 2 of those 6 recently kicked our butts.

I'll grant you that we are a fringe WC contender but only if he playoffs are expanded to 24 teams.

A few mistakes are fine and acceptable for any GM. Other than Eichel, who every person on the planet would have selected, what has Murray done right? Yes there are a few good players like ROR but every team has a few good players. What move has Murray made....ONE MOVE.....that has improved the team and wasn't something obvious like tanking for Eichel? If he has stockpiled so much talent in Rochester maybe he should go GM them to a Calder Cup until he is ready for the NHL. The Sabres have one of the top 3 or 4 young players in the league to build around and they are absolutely horrible.

And stop it with the Toronto and get off the bus crap. I could give a crap either way about Toronto and make no comparisons when thinking about the Sabres and I'm not jumping ship on the Sabres. Being a Sabres fan does not have to mean being a fan of this prick GM who is clearly waaaaaaaaaay over his head and yet still talks down at everyone. GTFO.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Uhhhh, no. This is my bus as much as it's yours. The fact that we have a bus driver and mechanic who can't figure **** out gives us the right to B word and moan all we want.

Things haven't worked out at the pace that people expected. I understand why expectations were raised. The rebuild is going to take more time. That's a reality that many people don't want to face. As I said before entering this season this team was a fringe playoff team. That is exactly where they are at.

Not all the deals that Murray made have worked out. But in the real world any GM who makes a lot of deals is going to have some of them not work out as well as expected. I rather have him be an active GM than a passive GM. It would be a horrible mistake to get so frustrated and get rid of the GM or coach or both and start the process over. Being patient is sometimes tough to take. That's life.

Things haven't worked out at the pace that people expected. I understand why expectations were raised. The rebuild is going to take more time. That's a reality that many people don't want to face. As I said before entering this season this team was a fringe playoff team. That is exactly where they are at.

Not all the deals that Murray made have worked out. But in the real world any GM who makes a lot of deals is going to have some of them not work out as well as expected. I rather have him be an active GM than a passive GM. It would be a horrible mistake to get so frustrated and get rid of the GM or coach or both and start the process over. Being patient is sometimes tough to take. That's life.

If Murray remains our GM, Vegas may make the playoffs before we do.

The trade deadline came and went...by sitting on his hands, was he passively active in dealing away the flotsam and jetsam? I admire your consistency and knowledge of hockey...just can't understand how he couldn't at least do something to improve our team.

The trade deadline came and went...by sitting on his hands, was he passively active in dealing away the flotsam and jetsam? I admire your consistency and knowledge of hockey...just can't understand how he couldn't at least do something to improve our team.

Without a doubt the GM scanned the market and didn't see any deals that could be made to help the team. He is not a passive GM. He's not going to make a deal that hurts the team just for the sake of giving the appearance that he is doing something. He did field some offers for Kulikov but teams backed off because they were concerned about his health status.

Let's face it the Sabres don't have a surplus of talent that can be parlayed for good players in deals. However, I wouldn't be surprised if prior to the draft there were some deals.

Make no mistake I'm disappointed how the season has unfolded. As frustrating as it may seem not making transactions out of frustration and desperation is smart course of action to take.

Without a doubt the GM scanned the market and didn't see any deals that could be made to help the team. He is not a passive GM. He's not going to make a deal that hurts the team just for the sake of giving the appearance that he is doing something. He did field some offers for Kulikov but teams backed off because they were concerned about his health status.

Let's face it the Sabres don't have a surplus of talent that can be parlayed for good players in deals. However, I wouldn't be surprised if prior to the draft there were some deals.

Make no mistake I'm disappointed how the season has unfolded. As frustrating as it may seem not making transactions out of frustration and desperation is smart course of action to take.

I have no problem with the lack of transaction at the deadline or whatever time. The problem is that there is nothing with which to transact. I don't think he is a passive GM at all. He is aggressive, I'll give him that. He blows, but he's aggressive.

Upward trajectory?

There are 6 teams in the NHL that can't match our point total with their games in hand. 2 of those 6 recently kicked our butts.

I'll grant you that we are a fringe WC contender but only if he playoffs are expanded to 24 teams.

A few mistakes are fine and acceptable for any GM. Other than Eichel, who every person on the planet would have selected, what has Murray done right? Yes there are a few good players like ROR but every team has a few good players. What move has Murray made....ONE MOVE.....that has improved the team and wasn't something obvious like tanking for If he has stockpiled so much talent in Rochester maybe he should go GM them to a Calder Cup until he is ready for the NHL. The Sabres have one of the top 3 or 4 young players in the league to build around and they are absolutely horrible.

And stop it with the Toronto and get off the bus crap. I could give a crap either way about Toronto and make no comparisons when thinking about the Sabres and I'm not jumping ship on the Sabres. Being a Sabres fan does not have to mean being a fan of this prick GM who is clearly waaaaaaaaaay over his head and yet still talks down at everyone. GTFO.

I think the O'Reilly trade, the Kane trade and the Okposo signing all improved the team. I think signing Gionta added some much needed leadership and helped to improve the team. I think trading Miller and getting Carrier plus all the other assets that cam from that trade helped improve the team, and I think the Faching trade will pay off in time, but that's yet to be seen.

I also think/hope his drafts will improve the team in time. I loved that Asplund pick, and it looks like Cliff Pu might have been an absolute steal in the 3rd. Gulhe in the 2nd looks like another great pick. Borgen looks legit, especially for a 4th round pick. Fitzgerald also looks great for a 3rd rounder. I could name more draft picks I like, but we are still in wait and see mode with the drafts. We don't know what players will make it to the NHL and what one's won't.

I don't like everything Murray has done. He's had his hits and misses, but every GM does. Im not crazy about the value he gets in his trades. I don't like how many picks he traded away, some of the contracts he's given out, the shape the blue line is in, his cap management and I am still very up in the air on his coaching hire, just to name a few things.

But overall, I think the Sabres are about where they should be at this point in the rebuild. These types of rebuilds usually take a good 5 years or more before you start seeing any real success. I think you really have to take into consideration the team he took over. They were historically bad. They literally set records for terribleness. They were one of the worst teams the NHL has seen in a long time, and that even includes terrible expansion teams. Murray was only hired in Jan. of 2014 and took over during a burn-it-to-the-ground, scorched earth type rebuild. He was left with barely an AHL caliber team. I think there were even something like 5,6,7 players on the team that, once he got rid of them, didn't even play in the NHL anymore.

I am more/less still in wait and see mode with him. I am definitely not sold on him, but I also don't think he's terrible either. I haven't given up on him by any means though. He does seem to have a clear plan, and all the players he acquires seem to fit that vision. He That's a nice change from the total randomness of Darcy's "plan".

Murray seems to be building a team to compete in the West though, and with the Eastern conference seeming like it's going more in the skill & speed route, I'm not sure how well it'll work out. I haven't looked in a while, but earlier this season out record showed it - against the West our win-loss record was much better than it was against the East. And although you have to beat a western conference team to win the Cup, you have to get through a bunch of playoff rounds against Eastern conference teams first...

I think the O'Reilly trade, the Kane trade and the Okposo signing all improved the team. I think signing Gionta added some much needed leadership and helped to improve the team. I think trading Miller and getting Carrier plus all the other assets that cam from that trade helped improve the team, and I think the Faching trade will pay off in time, but that's yet to be seen.

I also think/hope his drafts will improve the team in time. I loved that Asplund pick, and it looks like Cliff Pu might have been an absolute steal in the 3rd. Gulhe in the 2nd looks like another great pick. Borgen looks legit, especially for a 4th round pick. Fitzgerald also looks great for a 3rd rounder. I could name more draft picks I like, but we are still in wait and see mode with the drafts. We don't know what players will make it to the NHL and what one's won't.

Completely absent from your description here is NHL-level defensemen. That's exactly why they're struggling right now. Fortunately, even the most inept GM in the world would have to be aware of this problem. Where he goes moving forward to address this issue is going to make or break his stay with the Sabres.

The day the Sabres hired Murray I was able to speak with the Binghamton Senators owner, Tom Mitchell. I asked him if the Sabres were getting a good one and he laughed and said, "good riddance to him."

ONV2izwP_200x200.jpgVS. 7x0FMbmZ_200x200.jpg

FLYERS (30-26-8) at SABRES (27-27-12)

TUE MAR 7, 2017 @ 7:30 PM ET

TV: NBCSN

RADIO: WGR 550

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 319)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clots, Oct. 13; injured reserve) – 66 games
Johan Larsson (wrist, Jan. 3; injured reserve) – 30 games
William Carrier (knee, Feb.4; injured reserve) – 16 games
Kyle Okposo (ribs, March 4) – 2 games
Dmitry Kulikov (upper body, March 5) – 1 game

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
3/1: Assigned G Linus Ullmark to Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Friday, March 10: Buffalo at Columbus, 7 p.m.
Saturday, March 11: Columbus at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, March 14: Buffalo at San Jose, 10:30 p.m.
Thursday, March 16: Buffalo at Los Angeles, 10:30 p.m.
Friday, March 17: Buffalo at Anaheim, 10 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

FLYERS at SABRES
This is the third and final meeting between the Sabres and Flyers this season.
Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Philadelphia 4-1 in Buffalo on Jan. 10
The Sabres are 4-5-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Flyers; 5-4-1 at home.
This is the 173rd game all-time between Buffalo and Philadelphia; Buffalo has a 67-81-24 series record.
The Sabres are 42-32-10 at home against the Flyers all-time.

Morning Skate: March 7, 2017 at 10:00 am – 11:00 am at KeyBank Center

@BuffaloSabres

Sabres looking for answers after another lead gets away - "It's hard to say one exact reason as to why" - http://bufsabres.co/NkH2VM

C6Q58YQWQAALqr8.jpg

Completely absent from your description here is NHL-level defensemen. That's exactly why they're struggling right now. Fortunately, even the most inept GM in the world would have to be aware of this problem. Where he goes moving forward to address this issue is going to make or break his stay with the Sabres.

I did mention that I don't like the shape of the blue line in the small paragraph right below the one you quoted.

But I agree. It is definitely a HUGE area of need and a big concern. I am really hoping Brendan Guhle can maybe stick with the Sabres next year, but you can't plan on that. Even if he's able to, we still need at least 1 top 4 defenseman, preferably 2, but that's a tough ask.

I am hoping that the expansion draft will shake loose a few good defenseman. At the very least, it looks like Anaheim and Minnesota both have to get rid of a d man before expansion or they will most likely lose them for nothing. Hopefully Murray can snag one...

Tim Murray did just say on WGR the other day that the blue line is in desperate need of an upgrade and that it will be his number 1 priority this offseason. He emphasized that the blue line is the weak spot of the team, and said it was his fault and on him to fix. So he's definitely aware of the problem. Hopefully he's able to address it in a meaningful way this offseason.

3-7: DAN BYLSMA ON WGR (18:16)

#Sabres head coach Dan Bylsma joins Howard and Jeremy next on WGR! Tune in:

Bylsma - we've had opportunities to win hockey games recently. We're still learning how to win in tight games like we've been in #Sabres

Bylsma - we want to grab another lead like we have been doing lately and deal with it appropriately tonight #Sabres

Bylsma - we have to have the mentality of going over the boards and killing off penalties. We have been better on the PK #Sabres

Bylsma - our PK has let us down in 65 games this season, but we're working to get back to the 80% range #Sabres

Bylsma - we've changed Lehner's approach to the shootout. Saturday was first shootout in a while, just came out on the wrong end #Sabres

Bylsma - we have some good career shootout players. But sometimes we may have to throw a wild card in there to switch things up #Sabres

Bylsma - Kulikov is day-to-day right now with his upper-body injury. Okposo has a rib injury and remains week-to-week #Sabres

Bylsma - if they want us to score more goals, make us play more defense. Which means call more penalties, give full 2 minute PPs #Sabres

Bylsma - Jack has the puck on his stick a lot. He's learning how dangerous his shot can be, he's continuing to develop his game #Sabres

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I did mention that I don't like the shape of the blue line in the small paragraph right below the one you quoted.

But I agree. It is definitely a HUGE area of need and a big concern. I am really hoping Brendan Guhle can maybe stick with the Sabres next year, but you can't plan on that. Even if he's able to, we still need at least 1 top 4 defenseman, preferably 2, but that's a tough ask.

I am hoping that the expansion draft will shake loose a few good defenseman. At the very least, it looks like Anaheim and Minnesota both have to get rid of a d man before expansion or they will most likely lose them for nothing. Hopefully Murray can snag one...

Tim Murray did just say on WGR the other day that the blue line is in desperate need of an upgrade and that it will be his number 1 priority this offseason. He emphasized that the blue line is the weak spot of the team, and said it was his fault and on him to fix. So he's definitely aware of the problem. Hopefully he's able to address it in a meaningful way this offseason.

You are illuminating, astute and perspicacious. You bring a lot to the table. :thumbsup:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to cherry pick only your first paragraph. I just thought it was a perfect illustration of the holes in this team. Most reviews of Murray's work are always the same: this forward's good... that forward's good. It's going to be a tough spot to correct though. The cost of a top 4 d-man is through the roof at this point.

As for the expansion draft and the trades it should bring on, there's one angle I haven't seen mentioned so far. Teams like Anaheim or Minnesota could very easily make a deep run in the playoffs. That would wind up giving their GMs less time to work out a deal. Tim Murray will be able to make a trade the second the season is over, but Bob Murray and Fletcher could very well have to wait until very close to the end of the line. Sure, they could talk deals behind the scenes, but the results of those games could wind up changing things. That or they could come to a quiet agreement, but then two weeks later someone else swoops in with a better offer.

Oh how I'd love to be a fly on the wall during some of these trade talks.

I get to watch these mofo's again tonight...least the wings at the Gate will be good!

Call me a neanderthal...but how bout some old-time Flyers-Sabres hockey tonight with a few good individual bouts, and one line brawl with a goalie fight...be great to see Lehner get in a scrap.

I get to watch these mofo's again tonight...least the wings at the Gate will be good!

Call me a neanderthal...but how bout some old-time Flyers-Sabres hockey tonight with a few good individual bouts, and one line brawl with a goalie fight...be great to see Lehner get in a scrap.

Hopefully he gets kicked in the groin...maybe it'll force him to close the five hole.

I hate the Flyers more than any other team in the league. Irrational I suppose but true none the less.

I used to as well, but it's fizzled out of late. I'd probably go with Toronto due to interactions with their fans at the arena.

Did they make a serious play for Shattenkirk? That would have been a nice pick up.

Did they make a serious play for Shattenkirk? That would have been a nice pick up.

The Sabres couldn't afford to give up any of their limited assets for a rental. There should be some trade action at the time of the draft. More activity will be stimulated because of teams maneuvering to handle the expansion draft.

The Sabres couldn't afford to give up any of their limited assets for a rental. There should be some trade action at the time of the draft. More activity will be stimulated because of teams maneuvering to handle the expansion draft.

Right, and with Shattenkirk, they might as well just wait until the offseason if they're interested. Washington won't be keeping him anyway, so there's no concern about him signing an extension.

Right, and with Shattenkirk, they might as well just wait until the offseason if they're interested. Washington won't be keeping him anyway, so there's no concern about him signing an extension.

I'm not looking for the cap draining splash top tier defenseman additon to the roster. I would prefer getting maybe two good young defensemen who not only add talent to the barren group that we have but also add numbers to the backside that turn a major liability into at the minimum credible. If you add in Guhle then defense grouping will have undergone a major upgrade.

There is another story that doesn't get enough attention when discussing our defensive problem. The forwards also are contributing to the defensive lapses with their own defensive lapses. A little more responsible play by them will also enhance our overall defense.

I'm not looking for the cap draining splash top tier defenseman additon to the roster. I would prefer getting maybe two good young defensemen who not only add talent to the barren group that we have but also add numbers to the backside that turn a major liability into at the minimum credible. If you add in Guhle then defense grouping will have undergone a major upgrade.

There is another story that doesn't get enough attention when discussing our defensive problem. The forwards also are contributing to the defensive lapses with their own defensive lapses. A little more responsible play by them will also enhance our overall defense.

I'm with you. The price for any free agent d-man, let alone Shattenkirk, is going to be through the roof. I think it's going to have to be via trade if you want to add a higher end guy.

I'm with you. The price for any free agent d-man, let alone Shattenkirk, is going to be through the roof. I think it's going to have to be via trade if you want to add a higher end guy.

Don't you dare bring up Evander's name! :D

Unfortunately, any discussion with other teams about parting with a top 2 defenseman, is gonna start with "Reinhart +", I'm afraid.

Geez...now reading through the consensus here it seems harder to get a defenseman than to get a HOF QB. And yet our "trajectory" is upward?

So....no playoffs for the Sabres in 17-18 either?

1. What is a reasonable expectation.....not hope....expectation....of when the Sabres will.....not might....be in the playoffs. is the 20-21 season about right?

2. When it is reasonable to expect the Sabres to be a legitimate Cup contender?

I think the answers are:

1. 2 years

2. 4 years

but that is only if Murray is fired pronto. Add a year for every year he stays and if he stays more than 2 years the entire thing will be done. Including Eichels departure.

You do NOT have to be a hockey genius to see that this guy is an unmitigated disaster.

Geez...now reading through the consensus here it seems harder to get a defenseman than to get a HOF QB. And yet our "trajectory" is upward?

So....no playoffs for the Sabres in 17-18 either?

1. What is a reasonable expectation.....not hope....expectation....of when the Sabres will.....not might....be in the playoffs. is the 20-21 season about right?

2. When it is reasonable to expect the Sabres to be a legitimate Cup contender?

I think the answers are:

1. 2 years

2. 4 years

but that is only if Murray is fired pronto. Add a year for every year he stays and if he stays more than 2 years the entire thing will be done. Including Eichels departure.

You do NOT have to be a hockey genius to see that this guy is an unmitigated disaster.

It's hard to get a first pair D man since teams just don't trade them away.

But I don't think our situation is as dire as some may think on the blue line.

The best stretch of games our defense played collectively this year was when Falk, Fedun, and Guhle were in the lineup when Gorges, Bogo, and Kulikov were out. IMO, if we simply replace those guys with the three that took their place previously, we will be improved. That said, I think GMTM will bring in another middle pair defenseman.

This was predictable after blowing the game on Sunday.

Great response to the challenge of making a run after their bye week by going 1-8.

Lehner blows. Enough said. GMTM needs to swallow his pride, admit he made a mistake and replace him. Simple as that.

Rest ROR and Risto as much as possible moving forward. They are worn out from the clueless Bylsma's abuse. Enough Dan.

Only things left to cheer for are Eichel to continue his point streak and for Kane to break 30.

Phuck this fragile team.