Jim Kelly on Jim Rome Today... win or else for Rex and other

it's going take a full-on **** truck slamming into a fireworks store for Ryan to be fired.

635900312852315544-canals1.jpg

violent-explosion-at-fireworks-factory-n

_58089919_jex_1300340_de28-1.jpg

November 14, 2014

"A pickup truck crashed into a fireworks store in Rindge on Friday morning"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/video/no-one-injured-truck-crashes-173234987.html?ref=gs

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same Russ Brandon who chose not to go to the NHL Draft Lottery to make phone calls to UDFAs after the draft ended? Sure, it's not a big thing, but Smithers is involved and every time his name pops up I think of this:

Russ' personality isn't one to take a back seat and he's not changing.

:lol::lol::thumbsup:

The Bills are idiots if they feel swapping coaches every two-three years is the way to success.

In general I'd agree but Rex was an awful hire. There is no reason to allow him to double his Jets failure and make it a full decade. One of the articles about Dareus on the front page seems to foreshadow how Rex will screw up circa 2016. If we lose it is one thing. If we lose in Rex's disorganized and disarrayed manner it is another.

Even if his role changed, the chump he hired is still the GM. Continuity of failure.

His "two cents" on the Ryan hire were not for building a team but to enhance marketing value. It is a shame how involved he is with the organization. Purely marketing ok, but his input on operations is a disaster. He is the President but does not contribute to football decisions... right! He is a continuous ball and chain on this team.

Grow up as a steelers fan. It's too late for us, but we can still save the next generation.

Noble in thought my Friend. And I am ready able and willingly to make The Sacrifice.

Sounds like being a Parent !

Should we start a Go Fund Me page?

what exactly should the Title be ?

His "two cents" on the Ryan hire were not for building a team but to enhance marketing value. It is a shame how involved he is with the organization. Purely marketing ok, but his input on operations is a disaster. He is the President but does not contribute to football decisions... right! He is a continuous ball and chain on this team.

In specific regard to Kelly on this.

Not pleased. I realize he is not all that sharp when speaking. And i also realize he is a Buffalo legend looked at passionately by the fans.

He is now a Brandon guy.

And because he has become a seeming Voice of the Bills, he should not have spoken of such matters in public if at all.

It has brought a negative light upon the Bills. I thought that was solely the media's task at hand !

If I was Pegula Rex or Whaley i would be a bit pissed at Kelly right now.

Noble in thought my Friend. And I am ready able and willingly to make The Sacrifice.

Sounds like being a Parent !

what exactly should the Title be ?

In specific regard to Kelly on this.

Not pleased. I realize he is not all that sharp when speaking. And i also realize he is a Buffalo legend looked at passionately by the fans.

He is now a Brandon guy.

And because he has become a seeming Voice of the Bills, he should not have spoken of such matters in public if at all.

It has brought a negative light upon the Bills. I thought that was solely the media's task at hand !

If I was Pegula Rex or Whaley i would be a bit pissed at Kelly right now.

It isn't Kelly's fault that Rex is a good guy but a terrible coach.

The Bills are idiots if they feel swapping coaches every two-three years is the way to success.

I hear you but they might also be considered less than smart if they know Rex isn't "the guy" and let him hang on, especially if they see an opportunity to land "the guy"

The reason they are in the situation they are in is because they haven't found him. That is what makes them idiots.

After Rex gets fired (hopefully soon), he will never again be a head coach in the NFL. I don't really think many teams would allow him to coach their defense either.

Then again, maybe if we show the other 31 owners a few color coded charts they will think that Rex deserves another shot.

After Rex gets fired (hopefully soon), he will never again be a head coach in the NFL. I don't really think many teams would allow him to coach their defense either.

Then again, maybe if we show the other 31 owners a few color coded charts they will think that Rex deserves another shot.

I agree with that.

Look, I am one of those who loathes Rex in every aspect, and not just his coaching. I would not be surprised if he is gone before the first game, or before the last one. But for now he's here, he's the HC, and the fate of the Bills is in his hands for now so I'm hoping he goes at least 11-5 while knocking off the Pats twice, and grabbing at least one win in the post season. That won't make me loathe him less as a person but winning sure would be a fair trade off.

And you know within two years if a coach can have success with a team or not?

And you think you can't make that determination either?

Sometimes it can break either way, or be a question mark.

But holding onto a guy you don't believe in because you made bad hires previously is not a winning strategy. Rex needs to be judged on his merits and not the weight of jauron, mularkey, Williams etc...

When Marvin Lewis took over the Bengals in 2003, were they supposed to be good? He went 8-8 the first two years and they stuck with him. I think that as long as the season is not a total dumpster fire (6-10 record with no major injuries or something like that) have Rex come back for at least one more.

Count me in this camp. I don't think we give Rex a shorter leash because Rex is Rex.

The Steelers have had 3 coaches since 1969. That approach seems to work.

The next time the Pittsburgh HC position opens up, it'll be the most sought after coaching position in the NFL. Coaches want a fair chances to succeed and the Steelers provide that. So they attract the best candidates.

If we start firing coaches for mediocre records after two years, no one decent will want to coach here.

Count me in this camp. I don't think we give Rex a shorter leash because Rex is Rex.

The next time the Pittsburgh HC position opens up, it'll be the most sought after coaching position in the NFL. Coaches want a fair chances to succeed and the Steelers provide that. So they attract the best candidates.

If we start firing coaches for mediocre records after two years, no one decent will want to coach here.

The Steelers have had three coaches since 1969 because all three have been winners who have gotten their teams to the Super Bowl!!! Chuck Knoll 4x SB wins! With a .566 winning percentage! Knoll took a 1-13 and made them better every year until 11-3 in four years.

In Bill Cowher's 15 seasons, 8 div titles, 10 playoff berths, 21 playoff games, 6 AFC Championship games, and two super bowl appearances while winning one. a 618 winning percentage! This with mostly scrubs at QB that entire time as Big Ben got there in 2004 and Cowher retired in 2006! Cowher went to the playoffs his first year with Pitt.

Mike Tomlin took over in 2007 and been to the SB 2x won one and lost one with a .639 winning percentage. Tomlin went to the playoffs his first year with Pitt.

You simply can't compare the ownership between the Buffalo Bills and Pittsburgh because the Bills were very, very lucky to find Bill Polian as GM who came in as an offshoot of hiring Chuck Knox back in 1978. Knox brought his director of scouting with him from the Rams and that man suggested hiring Polian. The Bills had their owner Ralph Wilson as team president who was an insurance man who liked to dabble in horse racing and the NFL. He was more "hands on" than he should have been. Now the Bills have Russ Brandon filling that role and he doesn't even own any part of the team.

The Steelers, however, have the Rooney family and those people know the NFL inside and out in every aspect. Most are great talent evaluators at every level from the players to coaches they hire to the front office people.The team founder, Art Rooney was an exceptional athlete who applied for an NFL franchise in 1933.

The thing is if you find a winning head coach or great GM you keep them which is something the first owner of the Buffalo Bills wouldn't do. Chuck Knox was allowed to leave for Seattle because the owner didn't want to give him a raise. Which is crazy to think about how much that man transformed the team and city. Bill Polian was fired because of some run-in with the owners daughter who worked as a scout for the team. John Butler was fired because he didn't care to re-sign with the Bills right away. If I can't hire you, then I'll fire you! He Fired Wade Phillps because Wade refused to fire his special team coach.

The Steelers have had great success the last 47 years because they have had the intelligence and great football acumen to hire the right people in the first place and keep them once they find them!

The last 15 years the Buffalo Bills have made all the wrong choices from team president in Tom Donahoe who was fired as GM in Pittsburgh only to be hired by Buffalo and promoted to a job he had never done before. GM Marv Levy was never a GM before being hired as one in Buffalo. Same thing with Buddy Nix who was a retired head scout before being hired out of retirement to be the GM. Then Nix hires a coach who had been fired as an OC on a 2-14 team and was out of the NFL for a year and then promoted him to HC. Current GM Doug Whaley was never a GM before Buffalo and he has a man above him guiding him who is a baseball / marketing man.

Now, Buffalo Bills team president Russ Brandon has managed to manipulate these new owners into thinking that they have the football acumen needed to hire the head coaches because of all their expertise from watching the games on TV. Of course, he will interject his wealth of football knowledge because the team has done so as well the last eight years. From Russ To Terry..."don't let Rex Ryan leave the building"!

Should the Bills not make the playoffs in 2016 Rex Ryan should be fired, no question. It wasn't just the bad defense for half the year as it was also all the penalties on both sides of the ball. The looked team unprepared to play and mismanaged for some games. Bad special teams. The only part of last season that was enjoyable to watch was the part that the head coach had no involvement in and that was the offense. This team doesn't need a buddy, buddy type players coach like Ryan who won't bench players not giving 100%.

These new owners will have no problem hiring anyone as head coach provided they hire that football czar at the top of the flow chart and step away from the involvement of the football side of the operations.

I look at the Arizona Cardinals with envious eyes as HC Bruce Arians takes over a 5-11 team in the toughest division in the NFL and takes them to 10-6 in his first year as head coach. 11-5 his second year and then 13-3 last year while taking the division away from Pete Carrolls Seahawks. The Bills need to find their Bruce Arians!

It's the modern NFL. It's a league of parity. Honestly what the Bills are doing is nearly impossible to do. The league is made for teams to get lucky for a year and make the playoffs. 2 years is more than enough time to see if a team and coach is headed In the right direction. This wasn't a garbage team he took over. This was a team with a dominant defense and very real playoff aspirations. Anything less than that is a failure.

And stop with the no one would coach here. It's a NFL job that pays millions of dollars with a owners that will spend whatever it takes. Buffalo fans need to stop having little man syndrome. The Pegulas will get who they want.