Jim Kelly on Jim Rome Today... win or else for Rex and other

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at Fisher and Snead?

so whats the answer then?

Should there be a fixed timeline?

I have considered 3 full years to be a minimum for a HC and GM to have to dial the program in.

But there is no way Pegula and Ryan did not have a firm plan going in.

You do not bring in someone at that level to adjust on the fly. You let them run their method.

Knowing full well there is a line in the sand and agreed milestones.

Maybe fixing the offense was the first goal ?

So,now fix a defense that wasn't broken til Rex broke it.

Let's also not forget the "We're going!" spiel, meaning the playoffs. Which was just another in a very long list of broken promises to fans, to Jets fans for years and now in Buffalo.

The few good things Rex Ryan brought into Buffalo that has been absent for years and years is a real, genuine, bonafide NFL offensive coordinator who actually knows what he is doing in Greg Roman. The next was Rex who was the one vouching for OG Richie Incognito when nobody else in the NFL would. Whaley had his chance the previous season in which the Bills fielded the very worst O-line in the league. Cogs, while making the pro bowl also made the two guys next to him so much better. The last time an OG made the pro bowl in Buffalo was Ruben Brown in 2003.

Ryan also went after OT/OG La'el Collins who went undrafted in 2015 but alas he signed with Dallas and he became a valued starter for the Boys all last year. Finally, it was Ryan who wanted QB Tyrod Taylor to be brought into Buffalo to compete for the starting job.

So, Rex Ryan wasn't a complete waste of space for the Buffalo Bills as he just destroyed the best defense the team has had the last 10 years because he had to run his scheme down everyone's throats. Should he go, the Bills will still have Cogs, Roman and Taylor.

Indeed.

Let's also not forget the "We're going!" spiel, meaning the playoffs. Which was just another in a very long list of broken promises to fans, to Jets fans for years and now in Buffalo.

The few good things Rex Ryan brought into Buffalo that has been absent for years and years is a real, genuine, bonafide NFL offensive coordinator who actually knows what he is doing in Greg Roman. The next was Rex who was the one vouching for OG Richie Incognito when nobody else in the NFL would. Whaley had his chance the previous season in which the Bills fielded the very worst O-line in the league. Cogs, while making the pro bowl also made the two guys next to him so much better. The last time an OG made the pro bowl in Buffalo was Ruben Brown in 2003.

Ryan also went after OT/OG La'el Collins who went undrafted in 2015 but alas he signed with Dallas and he became a valued starter for the Boys all last year. Finally, it was Ryan who wanted QB Tyrod Taylor to be brought into Buffalo to compete for the starting job.

So, Rex Ryan wasn't a complete waste of space for the Buffalo Bills as he just destroyed the best defense the team has had the last 10 years because he had to run his scheme down everyone's throats. Should he go, the Bills will still have Cogs, Roman and Taylor.

That's still a net negative to me unless Taylor takes another step forward.

Jim Kelly has said a lot of things over the years.

He certainly has. One of my favorites was not taking a QB from California or Florida.

Jim needs to think before speaking.

As an aside, Rex has supported Jim's charity the past two years. I would not be surprised if Rex finds something else to do rather than take the whole team to Batavia for the golf tournament.

We get it.

Rex could cure cancer and it would still be a negative for you and some others because he did not do it soon enough.

To me if we win 9 games again and the defense is real good and we miss it, Rex gets another chance.

If we have injuries and/or it's just kind of a bad year (e.g., Pats win a million games and the WC spots go to team with 10+ wins) then we would be fools to fire him.

If, on the other hand, he suck and win 7 or 8 games having not been that injured then he's gone.

It's stupid to just say "win or you're out."

To me if we win 9 games again and the defense is real good and we miss it, Rex gets another chance.

If we have injuries and/or it's just kind of a bad year (e.g., Pats win a million games and the WC spots go to team with 10+ wins) then we would be fools to fire him.

If, on the other hand, he suck and win 7 or 8 games having not been that injured then he's gone.

It's stupid to just say "win or you're out."

I really do not think you do more than watch for progress.

First year should always be a wash, second year hopeful and some forward momentum. third year you need to really dig down and see whether the system is working. The foundation is solid and the negatives have been and are being addressed appropriately. Continuous improvement should have begun second half of year one and charted during year two

Great post, how did we miss Greg Williams, Dick Jauron, Chad Gailey, Greg Marone and there SB coaching ability. They are showing Buffalo what they had all over the NFL!

Also, How can anyone miss Gregg Williams, Chan Gailey and Doug Marrone.

I think I recall you posting many times about how the Bills should sign Ritchie Incognito during that 2014 season and that signing for 2015 was extremely important for the success of the offense.

To me, that signing of a decent OG was a godsend in helping the teams run game and also protecting a young QB. The stupidity this franchise has embraced the last decade about having a multitude of scrubs being fine for the O-line. The most important position on the field is the QB and if he doesn't succeed at his job the team loses games. Again, to me, building a solid elite offensive line is equally as important as having an elite defensive line.

Tyrod Taylor is another godsend should he develop into a top 15 starting QB and with the right side of the offensive line still so suspect I have my doubts that will happen.

Finally, new OC Greg Roman is also a godsend considering the unbelievably bad offensive coordinators this team has had to endure the last 10 plus years.

As it stands the Bills could remove Ryan and his entire defensive staff while hiring a disciplinarian like Tom Coughlin as HC. Coughlin also knows how to build a top 4-3 defense and who to hire to run it for him. Meanwhile retaining Roman as OC and the Bills would have a super bowl coaching staff in the making. Just my opinion.

I think I recall you posting many times about how the Bills should sign Ritchie Incognito during that 2014 season and that signing for 2015 was extremely important for the success of the offense.

To me, that signing of a decent OG was a godsend in helping the teams run game and also protecting a young QB. The stupidity this franchise has embraced the last decade about having a multitude of scrubs being fine for the O-line. The most important position on the field is the QB and if he doesn't succeed at his job the team loses games. Again, to me, building a solid elite offensive line is equally as important as having an elite defensive line.

Tyrod Taylor is another godsend should he develop into a top 15 starting QB and with the right side of the offensive line still so suspect I have my doubts that will happen.

Finally, new OC Greg Roman is also a godsend considering the unbelievably bad offensive coordinators this team has had to endure the last 10 plus years.

As it stands the Bills could remove Ryan and his entire defensive staff while hiring a disciplinarian like Tom Coughlin as HC. Coughlin also knows how to build a top 4-3 defense and who to hire to run it for him. Meanwhile retaining Roman as OC and the Bills would have a super bowl coaching staff in the making. Just my opinion.

you were good up until Coughlin.

Nice shout out to FC. I did not recall that.

Hate giving him Kudos. But if he has earned em. :worthy:

Cogs is a Beast for the Bills

Jim is either drinking the Vic Carruci kook-aid or was his source.

Anyone who has any familiarity with the Pegulas knows that it is not their style to fire someone for merely not making the playoffs after year two.

I listened to Carucci on the radio Saturday and he was very confident in repeating his initial report from January about the "ultimatum". He said that he did report that Pegula denied it, but then he also said that after the denial, his sources again confirmed that it absolutely happened. He said his source would have much to lose if Rex was fired, so it's not a disgruntled staffer.

Let me know when we do that the first time. Every Bills coach is gone within three seasons. Meanwhile the Bengals stuck with "loser" Marvin Lewis from 2006-2010 when he went 8-8, 7-9, 4-11, 10-6 and 4-12. How did that work out for them?

7 straight playoff losses.

I listened to Carucci on the radio Saturday and he was very confident in repeating his initial report from January about the "ultimatum". He said that he did report that Pegula denied it, but then he also said that after the denial, his sources again confirmed that it absolutely happened. He said his source would have much to lose if Rex was fired, so it's not a disgruntled staffer.

7 straight playoff losses.

Not to mention that those were all wildcard games that were lost with not one division title in all that time.

I dunno about the rest of the Bills fans out there but with this new owner I was expecting building a super bowl contending team and not another plodding along mediocre team hoping to eventually get into the playoffs.

Great head coaches can be found if the people looking actually know what they're doing.

Agreed.

I understand the point that hiring a new head coach every 2 or 3 years isn't a recipe for success, but either is maintaining status quo with mediocrity which is what Rex has been for the majority of his head coaching career.

My guess is if the team goes 8-8/9-7 he will be back. (Obviously anything better then that he will definitely be back)

7-9 is 50/50. 6-10 or less and he is a goner. IMO.

We would not know if sticking with a HC would work......the bills have never actually tried it except for a chosen few