Jim Kelly on Jim Rome Today... win or else for Rex and other

Not to mention that those were all wildcard games that were lost with not one division title in all that time.

I dunno about the rest of the Bills fans out there but with this new owner I was expecting building a super bowl contending team and not another plodding along mediocre team hoping to eventually get into the playoffs.

Great head coaches can be found if the people looking actually know what they're doing.

So you're disappointed that Terry Pegula hasn't built a Super Bowl winner in a season and a half as owner? I guess spending $91MM on free agents last season was a real drag, huh? Also can you share with us where the great head coaches are? You must have an idea.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're disappointed that Terry Pegula hasn't built a Super Bowl winner in a season and a half as owner? I guess spending $91MM on free agents last season was a real drag, huh?

And that worked out great. Throw in an extra $25M for an HC and we're going!

So you're disappointed that Terry Pegula hasn't built a Super Bowl winner in a season and a half as owner? I guess spending $91MM on free agents last season was a real drag, huh? Also can you share with us where the great head coaches are? You must have an idea.

There was one who just won a SB in Denver in his first year....

Not to mention that those were all wildcard games that were lost with not one division title in all that time.

I dunno about the rest of the Bills fans out there but with this new owner I was expecting building a super bowl contending team and not another plodding along mediocre team hoping to eventually get into the playoffs.

Great head coaches can be found if the people looking actually know what they're doing.

Or are (many) "great" coaches made by really great QBs?

2nd year for Pegses

I hear you, I do.... But Marrone lov em or hate em, had the best season of any coach since Mike Mularkey in '04... That's just brutal

it hurts. it is truth and really really smarts.

One full season as owner, FC. Bills "fans" are nothing if not patient.

Its a matter of pride. our patients are without equal.

:w00t:

http://jimrome.com/2016/06/09/jim-kelly-talks-playoffs-rex-ryan-and-more-on-the-jim-rome-show/

Jim Rome ‏@jimrome 5m5 minutes ago

Jim Kelly told me that if the Bills miss the playoffs “I think Rex will probably be looking for another job.”

That's BS if Rex gets fired after only 2 seasons ! His first season was one game better than Morons seeing as the Pats game was a throw away game that meant nothing.

Shoot Gailey got 3 seasons & Rex should get at least 3, especially seeing as his first year he tried to keep some of Schwartz scheme as to not upset the apple cart to much .

But i think it will be all for not because we will go to the play offs this year !! Even if they don't go past the wild card round ...

That's BS if Rex gets fired after only 2 seasons ! His first season was one game better than Morons seeing as the Pats game was a throw away game that meant nothing.

Shoot Gailey got 3 seasons & Rex should get at least 3, especially seeing as his first year he tried to keep some of Schwartz scheme as to not upset the apple cart to much .

But i think it will be all for not because we will go to the play offs this year !! Even if they don't go past the wild card round ...

Holy cow....where to begin?

What I'm disappointed about is the fact that the same stuff that was going on under the first owner of the team is still ongoing with a new owner and that is an owner making the choices for head coach. Then someone with a non-football background advising him. This new owner was somehow persuaded to not hire the football czar that many were talking about which means the people making the football decisions at the top of the flow chart have no real NFL experience in building a winning NFL franchise.
Russ Brandon was the pseudo-GM after Merv Levy retired as GM in 2008 and how did the team fare in all that time? Now he is still having an influence over these new owners as he was the one so impressed with Rex Ryan's interview he told the Pegula's to...
"Team president Russ Brandon was so impressed that he told owner Terry Pegula not to let Ryan out of the building." http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/22828/playoff-promise-among-rex-ryan-statements-that-will-likely-prove-false
For those that still think that Brandon has never been involved in the football side of things. from Leroi,
"Leroi Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:12 PM
Russ has a big part in scouting and the draft process. He is definetly involved.
The guy is a sports genius, we are lucky to have him as the president of Buffalo sports.
Remember he was our GM not that long ago.
Imo "
At first, it was talked about that Bill Polian or someone like him would take control of the football hierarchy and Polian himself stated he didn't want the job long term and would advise who to hire to run the Buffalo Bills football operations side of the team. Now that didn't happen so the head coach, GM both report to an owner who has vast NFL experience of watching the games on TV.
Both Dan Snyder and Jeffery Lurie have proven it's not how much money you spend on players but rather the quality of head coach you hire is what wins. Then you need the proper support staff above him with a clear vision of what it takes to build a winning franchise in today's NFL. Constantly changing schemes every few years with the changing of coaching staffs is not the way to go. But! If you clearly hire a bad head coach it's never too soon to make that change.
Discipline or lack thereof is something that plagued the 2015 Buffalo Bills who were the second worst team in the NFL penalties. So, this is one of a few primary concerns and no more hiring of "players coaches". The team needs a disciplinarian like a Tom Coughlin or a Bill Cowher! Plus, both those men have experience in building a super bowl caliber team. You also need someone who is secure enough in his own ability to hire the very best and brightest assistants and a this would allow the HC to be just the HC.
Edited by Nihilarian

Or are (many) "great" coaches made by really great QBs?

If we look at some good coaches in the league recently we would see some men who came in and improved the entire team. Jim Harbaugh first comes to mind in San Fran. A man who took over a 6-10 team loaded with talent and took them to 13-3 in his first season. He also brought Greg Roman in with him from Stanford and resurrected a broken QB in Alex Smith. Smith was thought to be a wasted first round overall pick at QB before this and never had a winning season before Harbaugh got to San Fran. Just by allowing the QB to be a game manager while pounding the rock and playing great defense they allowed Alex Smith to play like he was a worthy top QB.

Another good head coach is Bruce Arians who took a 5-11 team and went 10-6 his first year in the toughest division in the league. (NFC West) Arians hired the right coordinators and resurrected someone who was thought to be a broken QB in Carson Palmer. A QB who stunk it up in Oakland for two years prior to going to Arizona. In 2014, Palmer only played in six games because of an injury and Drew Stanton (who?)replaced him by going 5-3 and then once he went out injured Ryan Lindley 0-2 started in the last two games of the season against Seattle and San Fran.

So, there are good coaches out there that can make a QB look great rather than the QB making the coach look great.

What I'm disappointed about is the fact that the same stuff that was going on under the first owner of the team is still ongoing with a new owner and that is an owner making the choices for head coach. Then someone with a non-football background advising him. This new owner was somehow persuaded to not hire the football czar that many were talking about which means the people making the football decisions at the top of the flow chart have no real NFL experience in building a winning NFL franchise.

Russ Brandon was the pseudo-GM after Merv Levy retired as GM in 2008 and how did the team fare in all that time? Now he is still having an influence over these new owners as he was the one so impressed with Rex Ryan's interview he told the Pegula's to...

"Team president Russ Brandon was so impressed that he told owner Terry Pegula not to let Ryan out of the building." http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/22828/playoff-promise-among-rex-ryan-statements-that-will-likely-prove-false

For those that still think that Brandon has never been involved in the football side of things. from Leroi,

"Leroi Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:12 PM

Russ has a big part in scouting and the draft process. He is definetly involved.

The guy is a sports genius, we are lucky to have him as the president of Buffalo sports.

Remember he was our GM not that long ago.

Imo "

At first, it was talked about that Bill Polian or someone like him would take control of the football hierarchy and Polian himself stated he didn't want the job long term and would advise who to hire to run the Buffalo Bills football operations side of the team. Now that didn't happen so the head coach, GM both report to an owner who has vast NFL experience of watching the games on TV.

Both Dan Snyder and Jeffery Lurie have proven it's not how much money you spend on players but rather the quality of head coach you hire is what wins. Then you need the proper support staff above him with a clear vision of what it takes to build a winning franchise in today's NFL. Constantly changing schemes every few years with the changing of coaching staffs is not the way to go. But! If you clearly hire a bad head coach it's never too soon to make that change.

Discipline or lack thereof is something that plagued the 2015 Buffalo Bills who were the second worst team in the NFL penalties. So, this is one of a few primary concerns and no more hiring of "players coaches". The team needs a disciplinarian like a Tom Coughlin or a Bill Cowher! Plus, both those men have experience in building a super bowl caliber team. You also need someone who is secure enough in his own ability to hire the very best and brightest assistants and a this would allow the HC to be just the HC.

I think you are delusional if you think the Bills under Pegula are the same as the Bills under Ralph. But you sure display some creativity connecting some imaginary dots. As for not hiring Polian, I think we dodged a bullet. The guy is an old fool living off the fumes of his reputation. He's more interested in getting jobs for his kid than winning at football.

Also when was it established that Leroi works at OBD and has inside knowledge of the team? When he guessed one hire correctly?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I think you are delusional if you think the Bills under Pegula are the same as the Bills under Ralph. But you sure display some creativity connecting some imaginary dots. As for not hiring Polian, I think we dodged a bullet. The guy is an old fool living off the fumes of his reputation. He's more interested in getting jobs for his kid than winning at football.

Also when was it established that Leroi works at OBD and has inside knowledge of the team? When he guessed one hire correctly?

Delusional? Please explain to me how things are any different in the hiring of the last head coach than we saw in the last 10 years with the team president involved in making the call. Didn't the Pegula's make the call on hiring Rex Ryan and didn't the team president influence that decision?

Just FYI, Buddy Nix didn't hire whomever he wanted as he had to run it by the owner first. His first desire at head coach in 2010 was a very experienced man who had a strong history of taking over broken teams and building them quickly into winners. That man also wanted the Buffalo Bills head coaching job very badly to redeem himself in the eyes of the NFL. His name was Marty Schottenheimer. http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/9487/marty-schottenheimer-wanted-bills-gig

Ralph Wilson shot that down because he said he wasn't "comfortable" with him as head coach. Which means he probably felt he couldn't micromanage Marty like he did with Jauron by being on the phone from Detroit with him for hours every day during the season. The result of finding someone who Wilson was comfortable was with at HC was someone who had been fired in his last job as an OC after the team went 2-14 and he was out of the NFL for a year. Then Nix / Wilson hired and promoted him to a head coach position.

If I'm not mistaken "Leroi" is an established person who is known to work inside the building at OBD and has several accurate predictions on what the team was going to do going forward.

Lastly, what is with the fear of hiring a senior adviser like Bill Polian as someone who would have come into Buffalo to set up the football side hierarchy? (His son Chris Polian already has an NFL job with the Jacksonville Jags as director of player personnel and was hired on May 2nd, 2013.) First off Polian stated he didn't want the czar job long term and would only come in to help stabilize a floundering franchise that he still loves.

I do believe that Bill Polian made mention of hiring ex-Charger GM AJ Smith to take over control of the football side of things.(not his son, as that was speculation from others) Smith is currently a senior executive with the Washington Redskins. But that wasn't set in stone as he never even spoke with Smith about the job. AFAIK.

What in the world would be the wrong thing to do in allowing the man that built a team that went to four super bowls back to the team he loves to help the team going forward?

What in the world would be the wrong thing to do in allowing the man that built a team that went to four super bowls back to the team he loves to help the team going forward?

Seems that some think he would undermine Russ Brandon and Doug Whaley, and all the great work they have done to bring winning football to town. Those people deserve them.

Seems that some think he would undermine Russ Brandon and Doug Whaley, and all the great work they have done to bring winning football to town. Those people deserve them.

After reading through this thread I come away thinking that most fans are afraid of change, any change to the head coach, GM or front office.

The way I look at things is even if the team manages to get to 8-8 it's still a losing season unless the team makes the playoffs. Perhaps it is better to bottom out a few years to obtain some of the top talent in the league. But! Sadly, as Cleveland has proven, that only works if you have a great scouting department to find those players and a great GM to select them. And of course, an owner who isn't butting in!

What I find interesting is that when Ralph Wilson hired Chuck Knox back in 1978 without knowing it he had hired the future nucleus for his team's future going forward. Knox brought with him his director of player personnel in Norm Pollom who was a pretty darn good talent evaluator and later on he was the one who advised hiring Bill Polian. Polian might be older now but I take exception when a fan calls the man who built three different teams into playoff teams in three years and two of them super bowl contenders pretty quickly ...an old fool.

If you look at his body of work as GM / team president he was the GM of the buffalo Bills from 1986 to 1992 and was instrumental in drafting and signing both Jim Kelly as director of player personnel(1983) and Bruce Smith 85). He acquired Kent Hull after the USFL folded and he was the most sought after center in the league. Andre Reed, Thurman Thomas, and the list goes on.

The Buffalo Bills owner wanted to draft Doug Flutie with that first overall pick instead of Bruce Smith and Polian fought with him over it and just like he would go on to fight with the owner and his money managers over many things in future years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1992/01/19/down-to-earth-polian-built-bills-from-ground-up/bf72fef6-1b4f-4c8b-85b5-c77210d9f53d/

Buffalo Bills GM 1986 Under Hank Bullough who Wilson hired to Marv Levy who Polian hired (2-14) 1987 (7-8) 1988 (12-4) from 2-14 to 12-4 in three years and the difference in player talent went from horrible to great once Polian was hired.

Carolina Panthers an expansion team in 1995 and Bill Polian was hired as GM to build the team. (1995 to 1997) Polian hired the head coach and brought in every player 7-9 his first year to 12-4 and a conference championship in his second year as GM. Two Years!

Because of his success in building that Carolina team so quickly Polian was hired by the Colts as GM and promoted to team president. The old owner of the team had passed away (Robert Irsay 1997)and his son (Jim Irsay)saw first hand what Polian had done for the Buffalo Bills and then the Panthers so he hired him away from Carolina.

In 1997 the Colts went 2-14, and in 1998 hired Polian and the team still went 2-14. In 1999 the Colts went 13-3! Two years!

There is a real reason as to why Bill Polian is one of the few the very few NFL executives in the NFL hall of fame as he was one of the greatest GM's the league has ever seen. I for one would love to see the man who's name is on the ring of honor return to Buffalo to direct these new owners in helping build a super bowl contender in Buffalo once again.

Edited by Nihilarian

• 4 weeks later...

That was just posted to Youtube yesterday. Could he have filmed that so recently or was it old? I know he went through all of that medical stuff just a few days back. Could he be looking and sounding that good already? If so.... :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edit: Just saw the other thread..... :thumbsup:

Edited by 4merper4mer

JK needed to walk that back. He clearly was wrong.

He doesn't walk it back in that clip. He was asked if Rex didn't make the playoffs this year, his job would be on the line. Jim doesn't say he was wrong when he said it previously.

And why is it "clearly wrong"?

He doesn't walk it back in that clip. He was asked if Rex didn't make the playoffs this year, his job would be on the line. Jim doesn't say he was wrong when he said it previously.

And why is it "clearly wrong"?

maybe because Jim is a spokesperson for the Bills.

When he said that it almost sounded threatening. As if he knew inside info.

That's the wrong part, If he does know stuff like that, he should not be sharing it. and if he does not, he should realize folks think he does