Jim Kelly on Jim Rome Today... win or else for Rex and other

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim is either drinking the Vic Carruci kook-aid or was his source.

Anyone who has any familiarity with the Pegulas knows that it is not their style to fire someone for merely not making the playoffs after year two.

Edited by Peter

Anyone who has any familiarity with the Pegulas knows that it is not their style to fire someone for merely not making the playoffs after year two.

:thumbsup:

The Bills are idiots if they feel keeping loosing coaches indefinitely is the way to success.

Let me know when we do that the first time. Every Bills coach is gone within three seasons. Meanwhile the Bengals stuck with "loser" Marvin Lewis from 2006-2010 when he went 8-8, 7-9, 4-11, 10-6 and 4-12. How did that work out for them?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

What team had more talent in their first full year of ownership?

Would the Bills have gone to a super bowl if they had kept Greg Williams as head coach for up to five years or for Fourteen years? Or Mike Mularkey for 11 years? Or Dick Jauron for 9 years? Or Chan Gailey for 6 years? Or Doug Marrone for 3 years?

I'm thinking that without question that none of those men take the Buffalo Bills to the playoffs much less a championship. Two of those men outright quit the team and it was the best thing that could happen at that time. Every single one of those choices for head coach got worse at the end of their reign before being fired with the exception of Marrone and without Kyle Orton, (who retired and was a big reason Marrone quit) he would have fallen too.

The real problem with the teams process in finding the right head coach is that the same person who helped make the wrong choices the last eight years is still with the team and still has a major influence over what head coach gets hired.

I can only hope at some point that this new owner realizes his mortality as a human and puts an end to the team's love affair with being mediocre. Furthermore, I just don't get why some fans are so afraid of change when it's clear as glass that the guy the team hired isn't ever going to get it done. Every season it starts out with far, far too many mistakes to build a great team.

It all starts at the top and until the team hires a top "NFL football man" to run the football side of the organization. Then this team will continue to spins it's wheels year after year.

Would the Bills have gone to a super bowl if they had kept Greg Williams as head coach for up to five years or for Fourteen years? Or Mike Mularkey for 11 years? Or Dick Jauron for 9 years? Or Chan Gailey for 6 years? Or Doug Marrone for 3 years?

I'm thinking that without question that none of those men take the Buffalo Bills to the playoffs much less a championship. Two of those men outright quit the team and it was the best thing that could happen at that time. Every single one of those choices for head coach got worse at the end of their reign before being fired with the exception of Marrone and without Kyle Orton, (who retired and was a big reason Marrone quit) he would have fallen too.

The real problem with the teams process in finding the right head coach is that the same person who helped make the wrong choices the last eight years is still with the team and still has a major influence over what head coach gets hired.

I can only hope at some point that this new owner realizes his mortality as a human and puts an end to the team's love affair with being mediocre. Furthermore, I just don't get why some fans are so afraid of change when it's clear as glass that the guy the team hired isn't ever going to get it done. Every season it starts out with far, far too many mistakes to build a great team.

It all starts at the top and until the team hires a top "NFL football man" to run the football side of the organization. Then this team will continue to spins it's wheels year after year.

lol wut.

There is a lot that can happen this year. If he gets his defense playing well, and has his team clean up the penalties, and improve on their record from last year with a much tougher schedule, you keep him and give it time.

If he goes 5-11, it's a hard call to stick with him.

Yup. As I said earlier, we can't be scared of turnover just because we've had it. We have to judge him on his resume, for better and worse, not on whether past GMs were hard on past coaches

There is a lot that can happen this year. If he gets his defense playing well, and has his team clean up the penalties, and improve on their record from last year with a much tougher schedule, you keep him and give it time.

If he goes 5-11, it's a hard call to stick with him.

How much hand do you think he has on Offense ? serious question that might deserve a thread.

I am thinking more and more. that evaluating the defense should be telling enough as to whether he can affect change. And then, has the league passed him by ? As some posters have suggested

lol wut.

Both Mularkey and Marrone chose to walk away rather than stay as the Buffalo Bills head coach and in my view, and that was a good thing. Marrone wasn't going anywhere near another 9-7 year without Orton and with Hackett as his OC even if Schwartz had stayed as DC.

Ralph Wilson wanted to retain Mike Mularkey as HC after he fired Tom Donahoe for a 5-11 season. Yet Mularkey stated the guy who hired me is gone and he didn't feel the same support structure was there for him to stay. Besides, he babied out stating that his kids were getting crap at school in Buffalo from other kids. The point is that Mularkey without Drew Bledsoe at QB the offense went into the toilet as did the defense under Jerry Gray. That 5-11 season his offense was 28th in yards and the defense was 29th.

Both Mularkey and Marrone chose to walk away rather than stay as the Buffalo Bills head coach and in my view, and that was a good thing. Marrone wasn't going anywhere near another 9-7 year without Orton and with Hackett as his OC even if Schwartz had stayed as DC.

Ralph Wilson wanted to retain Mike Mularkey as HC after he fired Tom Donahoe for a 5-11 season. Yet Mularkey stated the guy who hired me is gone and he didn't feel the same support structure was there for him to stay. Besides, he babied out stating that his kids were getting crap at school in Buffalo from other kids. The point is that Mularkey without Drew Bledsoe at QB the offense went into the toilet as did the defense under Jerry Gray. That 5-11 season his offense was 28th in yards and the defense was 29th.

I guess I just don't see how losing a HC who got us to our best record in a decade while realizing the full potential of our defensive personnel en route to a worse record with a worse HC who dismantled it all was a "good thing."

Should the Bills not make the playoffs in 2016 Rex Ryan should be fired, no question. It wasn't just the bad defense for half the year as it was also all the penalties on both sides of the ball. The looked team unprepared to play and mismanaged for some games. Bad special teams. The only part of last season that was enjoyable to watch was the part that the head coach had no involvement in and that was the offense. This team doesn't need a buddy, buddy type players coach like Ryan who won't bench players not giving 100%.

These new owners will have no problem hiring anyone as head coach provided they hire that football czar at the top of the flow chart and step away from the involvement of the football side of the operations.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to get past the following buffoonery:

1. Rex boasts that he will make the #5 defense into the #1 defense and they finish 18th after makes pass rushing D-Linemen go back in pass coverage and the pass rush goes from 1st to worst

2. Rex shows up at a press conference wearing a Clemson helmet

And the coup de grace...

3. Rex responds to a question as to why he didn't challenge a key official's call with "because they didn't show the replay on the board"

I guess I just don't see how losing a HC who got us to our best record in a decade while realizing the full potential of our defensive personnel en route to a worse record with a worse HC who dismantled it all was a "good thing."

If you're talking about Marrone, once Kyle Orton retired, St Doug wasn't going anywhere in 2016 with EJ or Mr Meh as his starter at QB on offense no matter how great the defense was going to be. Doug Marrone was married to Nathaniel Hackett as his OC and that man was on par with AVP, Turk Schonert as both should have stayed as QB coaches. Which is just what Hackett was doing last year and this upcoming year with the Jags.

If Mularkey, who also fielded a top 10 defense in 2004, #8 in pts, #2 in yards. DC Jerry Gray fell on his face the next year and Mularkey was pretty much useless on offense without Bledsoe. Mularkey, like Chan Gailey, if the talent wasn't already in the QB then neither of those men would be able to coach up anyone.

I kinda feel Rex Ryan is the exact same way with defensive players. If the talent, skill, character isn't already in the player then don't expect Ryan to coach them up to any degree.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to get past the following buffoonery:

1. Rex boasts that he will make the #5 defense into the #1 defense and they finish 18th after makes pass rushing D-Linemen go back in pass coverage and the pass rush goes from 1st to worst

2. Rex shows up at a press conference wearing a Clemson helmet

And the coup de grace...

3. Rex responds to a question as to why he didn't challenge a key official's call with "because they didn't show the replay on the board"

Let's also not forget the "We're going!" spiel, meaning the playoffs. Which was just another in a very long list of broken promises to fans, to Jets fans for years and now in Buffalo.

The few good things Rex Ryan brought into Buffalo that has been absent for years and years is a real, genuine, bonafide NFL offensive coordinator who actually knows what he is doing in Greg Roman. The next was Rex who was the one vouching for OG Richie Incognito when nobody else in the NFL would. Whaley had his chance the previous season in which the Bills fielded the very worst O-line in the league. Cogs, while making the pro bowl also made the two guys next to him so much better. The last time an OG made the pro bowl in Buffalo was Ruben Brown in 2003.

Ryan also went after OT/OG La'el Collins who went undrafted in 2015 but alas he signed with Dallas and he became a valued starter for the Boys all last year. Finally, it was Ryan who wanted QB Tyrod Taylor to be brought into Buffalo to compete for the starting job.

So, Rex Ryan wasn't a complete waste of space for the Buffalo Bills as he just destroyed the best defense the team has had the last 10 years because he had to run his scheme down everyone's throats. Should he go, the Bills will still have Cogs, Roman and Taylor.