Doug Whaley comments going viral

No, you are NOT an idiot. The comment was true.

That said, would you be happy that he said this if you owned the team and had billions of dollars that someone could sue you for?

Yeah, I know the game was violent well before he made these comments. But this will be used in court some day, or so I think.

It was an ill advised comment by a rank amateur.

Go ahead, categorize me. :)

already have. but if there is a box you would more prefer i would gladly oblige : )

I think Whaley is in WAY over his head as a GM, but this in-and-of-itself does not really bother me. He really should stay away from the microphone though for his own good, or Pegs may wake up.

Both of them need sock puppets stand ins or something if they keep this silliness up !

you're so vain. You probably think this thread is about you. Don't you.

well..

usually i do.

But you did not need to get all harshaboutit.

and i have never been to Nova Scotia.

wait. yes i have.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But this will be used in court some day, or so I think.

First of all using it in court would be idiotic - it carries no weight.

Secondly it means absolutely nothing. In fact I had heard the interview before everyone latched onto it and it didn't even cause me to raise an eyebrow.

Whaley is not a natural public speaker.... luckily for him it isn't a pre-requisite for being good at his job.

Secondly it means absolutely nothing. In fact I had heard the interview before everyone latched onto it and it didn't even cause me to raise an eyebrow.

Whaley is not a natural public speaker.... luckily for him it isn't a pre-requisite for being good at his job.

funny. I listened to it live and the comment did not register with me either.

I think Whaley is in WAY over his head as a GM, but this in-and-of-itself does not really bother me. He really should stay away from the microphone though for his own good, or Pegs may wake up.

You rank PR skills over finding NFL talent when judging a GM??

No, you are NOT an idiot. The comment was true.That said, would you be happy that he said this if you owned the team and had billions of dollars that someone could sue you for?Yeah, I know the game was violent well before he made these comments. But this will be used in court some day, or so I think.It was an ill advised comment by a rank amateur.Go ahead, categorize me. :)

Nobody pretends Doug knows his way around a microphone. He does not. I've said as much here several times.

But I believe you are drastically overstating the consequences of what he said. Used in court how? To demonstrate what?

You rank PR skills over finding NFL talent when judging a GM??

I don't think he can afford to have any of his many flaws magnified.

Like I said, this doesn't really bother me though. He does remind me of Hank Bullough: if those teams would've won, his style (or lack of) wouldn't have mattered either.

That said, would you be happy that he said this if you owned the team and had billions of dollars that someone could sue you for?

Yeah, I know the game was violent well before he made these comments. But this will be used in court some day, or so I think.

Exactly.

funny. I listened to it live and the comment did not register with me either.

Funny how things sound in context. :lol:

I think it is fairly obvious what he meant: players get injured because the human body isn't designed for some of the contact that occurs. And this happens to everyone, not just Sammy Watkins. This is true with athletes in other sports also. He obviously did not mean that human beings should not play football. That is an absurdly literalist reading of his comment. NFL journalists must be desperate for something to talk about.

That being said, there really are serious questions about whether human beings should play football as it exists today.

Edited by buffalonian

Oye, new owners, some new management and this organization still can't avoid embarrassing themselves.

GM says humans shouldn't be playing football.

Head coach is a buffoon.

Players claimed off waivers don't report and won't even communicate with the team.

Assistant coach attacks kids on a beach.

Yeah I'm curious to hear any reasonable explanations for what legal gravity his comments hold. Because he admitted the human body isn't equipped to handle the rigors of football? Hasn't the helmet requirement been making that admission for decades?

On what grounds would anyone sue? That they were deceived into thinking football wasn't a physical contact sport with injury risks? What could possibly be presented to any judge in this universe to convince him/her Pegulas organization was culpable in that deception.

How many times have we heard--from coaches, GMs, pundits and players--"it's a violent game for violent men."

Exactly what was Whaley's admission today that was in any way new or revealing as to carry legal muster?

I listened to it on my app live and didn't think anything of the comment. It's not exactly rocket science the human body is not made for all of those collisions, and hence why we have all of the equipment. Again, this is nothing more than "it's summer, and we have nothing better to make a mountain out of a mole hill season".

With that said, Dougey fresh would benefit from staying away from the microphone. He's getting nailed because of the 1st day starters comment, and Lawson going out.

Complete nonsense that this is a story. Douch* B*gs like Rodak etc. just like to stir the pot when there is nothing to report about. Any person with a tiny bit of intelligence understood what he meant. ie that football is a rough and tough game that causes injuries. Big Whaley fan! Go Doug!

Complete nonsense that this is a story. Douch* B*gs like Rodak etc. just like to stir the pot when there is nothing to report about. Any person with a tiny bit of intelligence understood what he meant. ie that football is a rough and tough game that causes injuries. Big Whaley fan! Go Doug!

yep

I cannot believe how poor he is thinking on his feet. Public speaking isn't optional for people with a public position.

:thumbsup:

trial lawyers are fist pumping at Doug's comments

Not really. Since Whaley has a history of misusing words in his statements, it will be an easy defense to show that this was a characteristic misspeak.

Of course the PR damage has been done, and the meme will go on, but this is negligible from a legal standpoint.

All the guy meant was it's unnatural for humans to be purposely and continuously smashing into each other at high velocity. It's been said a thousand different times before. One thing yesterday showed me was who the real journalists are, and who the thin-skinned butt-hurt, unimaginative whiny bitches are. I wish they would take their pens and go home.

Edited by stevewin