Titans Release Zach Mettenberger; Claimed by the Chargers

Good point. You gotta wonder if the Titans know something about Mettenberger that the rest of us don't.

You mean besides the "rest of us" thinking he isn't very good? Why does anyone think this kid is any good? Titans proved immediately he wasn't starter material as they went out and got Mariota rather than invest development time into him. Now they have flat out cut him rather than keep him on as a quality backup.

What has Mett done on the field to indicate he is any good? The team who drafted him has at no point showed any confidence in him, he wasn't that great a prospect coming out of college, and he's done squat when he's had opportunities to play in the NFL.

Be dumb to sign him when we have EJ, who isn't a great choice either if Taylor goes down, but at least he knows the players and system here and the staff knows his strengths and weaknesses to try and build a winnable game plan with him if Taylor went down.

Look for an EJ replacement next year when EJ isn't resigned. You will know more how Cardale is coming along as well, if at all. Adding another low end project QB like Mett makes no sense right now as he's not an upgrade over EJ and we already have a project in Cardale.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah really---why don't we just keep developing the sucky QB's until they don't suck anymore??

I mean isn't that what Indy did? Wait, no....it's what Denver did. Crap....it's what Carolina and the Giants and NO did. Dang, no--it's what Detroit, Ravens and Seattle did. Oh man, hold on...it's what Tenn and TB are doing.

What was the question again?

True it wont work every time but clearly hoping you draft someone who is ready to take you to the Superbowl day one doesn't work either. At some point you have to point the finger somewhere else and ask yourself " Self, why are there only 5 good QB s in the league" My prediction is EJ signs a contract to be some teams decent but unspectacular back up QB ( and they will be lucky to have him) and if Tyrod regresses that team will be the Bills

Edited by Dayzofglory

True it wont work every time but clearly hoping you draft someone who is ready to take you to the Superbowl day one doesn't work either. At some point you have to point the finger somewhere else and ask yourself " Self, why are there only 5 good QB s in the league" My prediction is EJ signs a contract to be some teams decent but unspectacular back up QB ( and they will be lucky to have him) and if Tyrod regresses that team will be the Bills

Wow, still riding that EJ horse. Amazing!

I predict your prediction doesn't happen.

I think EJ is absolutely done here after this season.....and he is only here because it doesnt save us money to cut him.

EJ has all those physical traits that make GMs salivate......someone will think they can "fix him"......and he will sign a modest contract with another team.

Ok give me 5 back up qbs with more touchdowns, wins, and higher completion percentage and I will never ride the EJ horse in public ever again

Look at this nonsense from last summer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000501986/article/ranking-backup-qbs-from-no-1-to-32

The sixth-round QB becomes expendable after signing of vet Matt Cassel.

At one point Mettenberger was considered both a potential sleeper to develop under then-coach Ken Whisenhunt -- the tall statue-esque quarterback fits the physical profile of guys who thrived in his system.

But Mettenberger barely completed more than 60 percent of his 345 passing attempts as a Titan, never managed to really put his team in a position where it actually won a game (QB wins get too much attention but Mettenberger wasn't blameless in the team not winning when he started) and managed just 12 touchdowns to 14 interceptions.

Oh my god! The myth of Mettenberger continues! It's amazing how much love a 6th rounder who gets cut after 2 seasons get. He wasn't even that great in college playing with a NFL receiving core.

But even though EJ has better numbers across the board, ZM is clearly better. That makes total sense.

Actually, in the second half he threw a horrible should-have-been easy pick in the end zone that was dropped. The play that gave the Bills the lead was a defensive interception returned for a TD. And he totally choked on the Bills' final possession. Let's not blow up what he did in that half as Montana-esque.

It's funny how no one mentions McCoy fumbling inside the 10 or our starting Wrs were Chris Hogan and Robert woods.

Ok give me 5 back up qbs with more touchdowns, wins, and higher completion percentage and I will never ride the EJ horse in public ever again

Look at this nonsense from last summer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000501986/article/ranking-backup-qbs-from-no-1-to-32

EJ is the worst qb in the history of the NFL (even though he averaged more passing yards and points/ game than our starter last year!)

No we should just stick with the QB's we have drafted in the past 20 years. They have had such success so why mess with it or have your own opinion on the subject

we still have QBs on the roster from 20 years ago?

You mean besides the "rest of us" thinking he isn't very good? Why does anyone think this kid is any good? Titans proved immediately he wasn't starter material as they went out and got Mariota rather than invest development time into him. Now they have flat out cut him rather than keep him on as a quality backup.

What has Mett done on the field to indicate he is any good? The team who drafted him has at no point showed any confidence in him, he wasn't that great a prospect coming out of college, and he's done squat when he's had opportunities to play in the NFL.

Be dumb to sign him when we have EJ, who isn't a great choice either if Taylor goes down, but at least he knows the players and system here and the staff knows his strengths and weaknesses to try and build a winnable game plan with him if Taylor went down.

Look for an EJ replacement next year when EJ isn't resigned. You will know more how Cardale is coming along as well, if at all. Adding another low end project QB like Mett makes no sense right now as he's not an upgrade over EJ and we already have a project in Cardale.

Just do a Zach Mettenberger search in the TSW archive. You'll find plenty who did.

Does that really apply at ten consecutive losses? That's hard to do. Also, the team won with Mariotta at QB. This guy is a total loser.

The Marriota led team won so much that they got the first overall pick in the draft.

Bottom line - Tennessee sucks at the QB thing.

Oh now you did it... Next will come the "how can you say EJ is better than TT" posts..

Haha. That's not my intention. Taylor protects the ball much better and he deserves to be the starter.

But it's so funny that everyone treats EJ like a POS and he had 2 of our 5 highest passing yardage games this year.

All the Board geniuses love Mett more than EJ.

Only a guy with 0 wins in 10 starts is better than EJ who at least won close to half his 16 starts.

Only on the Bills message boards

I refuse to have my intellect questioned by someone that quotes wins as an individual stat.

Also by someone that can't spell Mariota. :rolleyes:

Our fate this season is going to rest on the sustained health and continued progress of Tyrod Taylor, and no other QB.

If Tyrod goes down for an extended time, or substantially regresses, it won't matter who the #2 holding the clipboard at the time is.

Mett and EJ both looked great this preseason. While EJ was maddening in his regular season play, he still made some good plays. We can talk about how EJ lost us that Jacksonville game, but I remember him taking back the lead before our defense gave up a quick TD to finish the game. Mett, on the other hand, just looked plain bad. It was boring to watch.