Titans Release Zach Mettenberger; Claimed by the Chargers

Haha. That's not my intention. Taylor protects the ball much better and he deserves to be the starter.

But it's so funny that everyone treats EJ like a POS and he had 2 of our 5 highest passing yardage games this year.

I know it wasn't and your analysis is spot on that 'not quite good enough' (reality) is twisted into 'the worst attempt at playing QB in the games history'.

EJ had some flashes of very good, it was inconsistency that ultimately relegated him to "never gonna be the guy" category.

But we have seen FAR worse QB play around the NFL and in buffalo.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mett and EJ both looked great this preseason. While EJ was maddening in his regular season play, he still made some good plays. We can talk about how EJ lost us that Jacksonville game, but I remember him taking back the lead before our defense gave up a quick TD to finish the game. Mett, on the other hand, just looked plain bad. It was boring to watch.

The funny thing is that EJ, now and again, has uncorked some really nicely thrown long balls completely immune to criticism.

Mettenberger dumped
The Tennessee Titans on Monday waived backup quarterback Zach Mettenberger, their sixth-round draft pick from 2014. What's next for the strong-armed signal-caller?

Mettenberger, 24, sports a big arm and prototypical size -- he's 6-foot-5 and 224 pounds -- but he was comprehensively inconsistent in his second season. Throwing for just 5.6 yards per attempt in four starts last year, Mettenberger turned the ball over in big spots before he was essentially yanked in Week 17 for Alex Tanney.

Here's where we remind you that Cassel isn't about to save the day, either, if Mariota again succumbs to injury. The aging veteran was a disaster in Dallas last season and offers little inspiration at this stage in his career. As for Mettenberger, he's bound to find another job before long.

I'll be the guy who prefers EJ, specifically because he's relatively similar to Tyrod in style, and has a year of experience with the offense, and better chemistry with the guys on the team, also seems to be very well liked.

I'm really not into the idea of another offseason of QB competitions. I want to see what happens with everyone going into the season with a set spot, so they can focus on doing their role the best they can.

If Mett was worth anything, there's no way he gets cut in favor of Matt FN Cassel when you consider how young he is and how inexpensive he would have been to the Titans.

I'm not sure that's correct. The Titans have Mariota filling the "quarterback of the future" niche. They have Alex Tanney filling the "cheap young wild card who might be something someday" slot. And they have Matt Cassel filling the "veteran mentor backup" niche.

That kind of leaves Mettenberger as the "odd man out", but I don't think he's competing with Cassel, he's competing with Tanney.

What it might say is they think Tanney >> Mettenberger. Or, it could be a courtesy thing - maybe they think Tanney is cheaper and Mettenberger deserves a shot to catch on elsewhere. Or maybe they can PS Tanney but they can't PS Mettenberger, PS rules still make my head hurt.

Would rather have this guy over Cardale Jones, thats for dam sure.

Why did we draft a QB again?

And you'd be in the extreme minority.

As for Mettenberger, it has really got to stink when you lose your job to the guy who is only known for throwing footballs into garbage cans on moving trucks.

I'm not sure that's correct. The Titans have Mariota filling the "quarterback of the future" niche. They have Alex Tanney filling the "cheap young wild card who might be something someday" slot. And they have Matt Cassel filling the "veteran mentor backup" niche.

That kind of leaves Mettenberger as the "odd man out", but I don't think he's competing with Cassel, he's competing with Tanney.

What it might say is they think Tanney >> Mettenberger. Or, it could be a courtesy thing - maybe they think Tanney is cheaper and Mettenberger deserves a shot to catch on elsewhere. Or maybe they can PS Tanney but they can't PS Mettenberger, PS rules still make my head hurt.

Put it however you'd like. The bottom line is that Zach Mettenberg sucks.

Ok give me 5 back up qbs with more touchdowns, wins, and higher completion percentage and I will never ride the EJ horse in public ever againLook at this nonsense from last summer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000501986/article/ranking-backup-qbs-from-no-1-to-32

That's pretty funny, actually. If ever there was a piece demonstrating Whaley's comments that media pundits don't have accountability, that would be high on the list.

FWIW:

@ChrisWesseling

From that @PaulKuharskyNFL article: Mettenberger’s 16.5 Total QBR is worst of any QB with > 10 starts since the metric’s birth in 2006.

@LRiddickESPN

I wouldn't b 2 quick to jump on the "I told you so" wagon w/Mettenberger. It isn't like #Titans are setting the standard for QB development.

Have seen how relationships & confidence can change trajectory of a career, particularly @ QB. Mettenberger has to be smart about next team.

@PaulKuharskyNFL

.@LRiddickESPN raises a fair point. And Mariota and Mettenberger are not of the same class. But Mariota developed fine in his first year.

FWIW:

@ChrisWesseling

From that @PaulKuharskyNFL article: Mettenberger’s 16.5 Total QBR is worst of any QB with > 10 starts since the metric’s birth in 2006.

@LRiddickESPN

I wouldn't b 2 quick to jump on the "I told you so" wagon w/Mettenberger. It isn't like #Titans are setting the standard for QB development.

Have seen how relationships & confidence can change trajectory of a career, particularly @ QB. Mettenberger has to be smart about next team.

@PaulKuharskyNFL

.@LRiddickESPN raises a fair point. And Mariota and Mettenberger are not of the same class. But Mariota developed fine in his first year.

Wish more fans realized how important solid development is to most young QBs. Sure there's a small handful that can be amazing coming into the NFL regardless of the situation, but the vast majority depend on NFL level development. Mettenberger, EJ, Geno, etc were all failed in that regard, imo.

So they go to camp with Geno/Petty/Hackenberg/Mettenberger? What a mess!

Yes, that is exactly what's already happening in this thread. Like 100% accurate.

Or not.

Are you still sticking by that "Or Not"?