Rob Quinn on How Ragland & Brown Can Thrive Together

I thought the WILL/JACK was on the weakside (right of the MLB).

Link won't work on this computer.

But from my understanding, In a 3-4, a lot of times the strong OLB will go weakside to become the blitzing LB. In these situations the Jack/Will needs to be strong side.

I guess I'm sipping the Kool Aid because the more articles I read, the more I think about our draft class, the more I find myself getting excited about this defense. :thumbsup::beer:

It clarifies in the article. The Will essentially plays fullback taking out blockers, so the Mike can run free and make plays. That's the position Ragland will be filling.

yeah, there's not really a true WILL in Rex's scheme, it was originally called the TED with the Ravens, but went to W with the Jets. They're basically flipped but the roles can be switched depending on off. personnel, motion, etc.

yeah, there's not really a true WILL in Rex's scheme, it was originally called the TED with the Ravens, but went to W with the Jets. They're basically flipped but the roles can be switched depending on off. personnel, motion, etc.

Let me ask this? Are Ragland and Brown somewhat interchangeable in this defense?

And on another note, Z Brown is going to give one of these twp positions more coverage ability i theory, is that correct?

Thanks Young Mr Quinn for your help and knowledgeable insight. Very helpful to a fellow like me, and others i bet !!

:thumbsup:

7 men in the box, 5 man front, 4 linebackers at 250 or more. They are going to stifle every single team - whose playbook came from 1978

Of course. Because they'll be in the exact same front on every play regardless of down and distance with the personnel in the same positions from play to play to make it easy for QBs to attack. :rolleyes:

7 men in the box, 5 man front, 4 linebackers at 250 or more. They are going to stifle every single team - whose playbook came from 1978

The wheel is the wheel.

Minor improvements have been made but it's task is the same.

I have so much trouble rating your sarcasm : )

Must be one hell of a poker player over 20 !

Of course. Because they'll be in the exact same front on every play regardless of down and distance with the personnel in the same positions from play to play to make it easy for QBs to attack. :rolleyes:

It's a good base to work from. Nothing like shutting down those HoF RB's in the division.

It's a good base to work from. Nothing like shutting down those HoF RB's in the division.

The Jets and Dolphins both run a lot. I see the Bills continuing their success against them.

NE is able to attack any weakness.

The Jets and Dolphins both run a lot. I see the Bills continuing their success against them.

That's the key word, no? Didn't we sweep both those teams last year? Are they the ones we need to be changing things up for?

That's the key word, no? Didn't we sweep both those teams last year? Are they the ones we need to be changing things up for?

Don't forget, they got two more guys to get after Brady and a good cover LB in free agency.

NE is always going to be tough, no matter who you have on your side.

Except in the 2nd game in 2015 where the Bills had Brady looking confused and flustered.

Except in the 2nd game in 2015 where the Bills had Brady looking confused and flustered.

Rex has definitely had his share of success vs Brady. I'm not worried about this scheme vs any offense.

The players just need to be...all in!

Well the Bills did just draft a strong pass rusher in Shaq, added an interior D-lineman in Washington who's best at rushing the passer up the middle (You know, probably the first thing people say you must do when trying to beat Brady), and added a LB in free agency (Zach Brown) who plays well against the pass. It's not like the Bills have done nothing to try and get better against the pass.

Edited by elroy16

took the words straight out of my mouth. Yes its exciting when we know the team can't pass but if you're lining that front up against me I'm going no huddle and I'm running pass routes across the middle and let my tight end run the seam and with our d you won't be able to stop me. Chances are I'll get the quick passes to the wrs and I might get the te deep a few times.

took the words straight out of my mouth. Yes its exciting when we know the team can't pass but if you're lining that front up against me I'm going no huddle and I'm running pass routes across the middle and let my tight end run the seam and with our d you won't be able to stop me. Chances are I'll get the quick passes to the wrs and I might get the te deep a few times.

All they have to do is not let us sub, and they can get a quick 30 yard pass every time.

Edited by FireChan

Look at New England's front 7.

Let me ask this? Are Ragland and Brown somewhat interchangeable in this defense?

And on another note, Z Brown is going to give one of these twp positions more coverage ability i theory, is that correct?

Thanks Young Mr Quinn for your help and knowledgeable insight. Very helpful to a fellow like me, and others i bet !!

:thumbsup:

I'd say they're someone interchangeable. Preston Brown is a bit more athletic, but I also think that Zach Brown will have a pretty significant role as well. Remember, Ragland played a lot of DE on third and long situations at Bama in subpackages, so I think the whole "three down LB" thing is overblown. Rex's D is pattern matching so even if he has to cover a Gronk or a slot, he eventually passes him off to the next defender at the top of the route stem. Also think people forget just how good Preston was in coverage as a rookie. Look at all the fake double A Gap pressures Rex had him and Nigel showing last year. Hard to get depth in your drop when you're constantly on the LOS pre-snap. Just my thoughts, and as always, thanks for reading!

All they have to do is not let us sub, and they can get a quick 30 yard pass every time.

that is why Bills got the players they did FC. All our D lineman can move. and do not shortchange the LBs this year.

You are correct, Bills need to plan on no time to sub out

bingo. Rex Ryan D's play out like chess.

Today's NFL is more of a game of war. There is no stopping and every move is a ripple. There is no tit for tat...

But something Rex Ryan is a gneis or samrt or something. Right? Cuz ... I read it here? Right? Cuz like 4 yrs ago he got 2nd place in a 2nd place contest!

Look at New England's front 7.

I'd say they're someone interchangeable. Preston Brown is a bit more athletic, but I also think that Zach Brown will have a pretty significant role as well. Remember, Ragland played a lot of DE on third and long situations at Bama in subpackages, so I think the whole "three down LB" thing is overblown. Rex's D is pattern matching so even if he has to cover a Gronk or a slot, he eventually passes him off to the next defender at the top of the route stem. Also think people forget just how good Preston was in coverage as a rookie. Look at all the fake double A Gap pressures Rex had him and Nigel showing last year. Hard to get depth in your drop when you're constantly on the LOS pre-snap. Just my thoughts, and as always, thanks for reading!

yeah. And I see who is coaching them and the ability he gets from the talent that was far less than the Bills. Wins and losses they do better.

You can't, in any way, balance one team against another when it comes to talent due to scheme. Only results. So when you can bring the facts of how new England's front 7, who was worse than buffalos, did better than buffalos I will listen. Spare me Mario Williams. Spare me injury. Even without both Williams and Mario slacking we still had more talent than NE .

So what's your point?

We can talk d if you want but bring your a game or I will just yawn.

that is why Bills got the players they did FC. All our D lineman can move. and do not shortchange the LBs this year.

Rex Ryan can't succeed on defense because she can't plan for defense. Welcome to mediocre 2017

bingo. Rex Ryan D's play out like chess.

Today's NFL is more of a game of war. There is no stopping and every move is a ripple. There is no tit for tat...

But something Rex Ryan is a gneis or samrt or something. Right? Cuz ... I read it here? Right? Cuz like 4 yrs ago he got 2nd place in a 2nd place contest!

yeah. And I see who is coaching them and the ability he gets from the talent that was far less than the Bills. Wins and losses they do better.

You can't, in any way, balance one team against another when it comes to talent due to scheme. Only results. So when you can bring the facts of how new England's front 7, who was worse than buffalos, did better than buffalos I will listen. Spare me Mario Williams. Spare me injury. Even without both Williams and Mario slacking we still had more talent than NE .

So what's your point?

We can talk d if you want but bring your a game or I will just yawn.

Rex Ryan can't succeed on defense because she can't plan for defense. Welcome to mediocre 2017

I am not sure you are addressing whatever point i was making.

but whatever you have decided the future to be, limits what the future could be.

Closed mind offers no opportunity.

Enjoy the season in misery .

:wub:

@RQUINN619

ILB Roles in Rex Ryan's D & Why Reggie Ragland, Preston Brown Can Thrive Together http://buildingtheherd.com/commentary/rex-ryan-defense-reggie-ragland-preston-brown/

Thanks nice find as always!

Who was the Buffalo OG Scott blew up? Yikes

LOL that **** was ugly he got mashed

I guess I'm sipping the Kool Aid because the more articles I read, the more I think about our draft class, the more I find myself getting excited about this defense. :thumbsup::beer:

The more REAL STATS come out about Ragland, the more it diminishes the narrative people who didnt like the pick try to push on us.

Rex has definitely had his share of success vs Brady. I'm not worried about this scheme vs any offense.

The players just need to be...all in!

All in and fully pregnant Goatski!

Agree, another year in the system and Rex simplifying the defense a little should go a long way to seeing improvement this year. Those plays need to come in on time tho, I can remember KC and the Texans sneaking us for TDs last season while our defense was screaming "we werent ready!" Only time will tell but the whole "Ragland cant cover for ****, hes a 2 down LB" narrative gets weaker and weaker as more facts and game footage come out. Good signs for the koolaid bar. drink up!

In general, I think all the focus on personnel is misplaced. The Bills had excellent personnel last season. The issue is scheme. Rex's scheme depends on confusing the offensive blocking schemes. Not only did that not happen last season, it was the defense that was confused much of the time. Until that changes none of this matters.

Edited by vincec

In general, I think all the focus on personnel is misplaced. The Bills had excellent personnel last season. The issue is scheme. Rex's scheme depends on confusing the offensive blocking schemes. Not only did that not happen last season, it was the defense that was confused much of the time. Until that changes none of this matters.

I think this thinking may be a deterrent to moving forward in fans perception of Ryan.

Don't forget, they got two more guys to get after Brady and a good cover LB in free agency.

NE is always going to be tough, no matter who you have on your side.

I have a theory, they were so hyped to sign washington bc he has pass rush ability and we all know to stump the Brady pressure up the middle works best, I think they believe he can make that happen after some development.

ok, i am still confused with why rex ryan is going to start rushing from the outside?!!?!?!

and why is rex ryan goign to employ the cover 3 so much? i saw some cover 3 but now that both gilmore and darby are proven man up cover corners, why not do that?! its what he did the last few games and let a high over cover 0 safety.

re-re-reread it. still so much kool aid in this that it is too much. believing that our two inside guys were the reason we failed last year to amount to anything on defense is understandable to the layman. it's not the sole reason. we couldn't hold the press on the dl to allow our lbs to scrape and fight to the play. dareus and other dl wore down as it is not their skillset. washington may be better at sitting there - but i doubt it. isaw enough of him play to know he's not high motor, OL energy consuming type of trenches player. dareus will get it done in any scheme since he is that good but if rex ryan employs this defense mentioned in the article that rob grasped to write... we're !@#$ed six way to sunday and getting it hard in the rear on sunday.

i see better options, outside of the box, employing better sets against nickel and dime with personnel we do not have since we looked up front to try to create this system rex needed. yes we went bpa and yes we fulfilled needs but i would rather have got an inside linebacker like Lee to pair with Ragland inside (not knowing then that we would get him). we could have also got a top notch safety or cornerback - on the larger side - to play in a 33 system that some nickels create after running a hybrid 34.

Edited by Boyst62