2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if Cleveland wants Trubisky we can land Mahomes. Time for us to figure out what is happening and not be left standing when the music stops.

I think we are clueless. Usually look forward to the draft -- what else is there for Bills' fans?

This year, I am expecting to be disappointed and angry. My expectations are lowered to the point where not taking a cb at #10 will seem like a small victory.

And we will probably take a cb.

I think we are clueless. Usually look forward to the draft -- what else is there for Bills' fans?

This year, I am expecting to be disappointed and angry. My expectations are lowered to the point where not taking a cb at #10 will seem like a small victory.

And we will probably take a cb.

Well now the Bills seem to know how to scout QB's. Question remains if they value the position properly and realize other teams want these players too.

Well now the Bills seem to know how to scout QB's. Question remains if they value the position properly and realize other teams want these players too.

I am going to maintain some stealth hope, but my official position is going to be glum. Smokescreen :lol:

I think they're trying to make sure that they get both of the guys that they want.

They absolutely must take Garrett at 1 if they want him, because there's no conceivable way he gets passed 2 as the best player in the draft.

So if they want Trubisky as well, and they want to make sure they get him, they should trade up in front of any team that looks likely to take a QB. They obviously feel that SF and Chicago won't, so logically you'd look at Tennessee, who has Mariota and has a history of draft-day trades with Cleveland.

Shanahan loved Kirk Cousins in Washington and had nothing but contempt for Griffin. A number of scouts are comparing Trubisky to Cousins. So it isn't so outlandish to believe that San Fran and Shanahan would have a desire to draft the qb prospect. Shanahan and Lynch are both on very long term contracts. So getting their franchise qb early in their contract lifespan might be a reasonable approach to take.

What Buffalo has never learned is that getting the qb position secured sooner rather than later is the best approach to take when building a roster. Dithering and hesitating is an act of self-sabotage that always leads to staffing changes.

Edited by JohnC

I don't see Trubisky going to SF, but John Lynch has no draft record, so SF is a bit of a wildcard.

That said, with reports running rampant that SF wants to move down from the 2 slot, it makes me believe that they don't love any QB enough to take him there.

Suppose, however, that they do take Trubisky at No. 2...I would guess that Chicago would take Thomas. I feel fairly certain that he'd never get passed Tennessee at No. 5

I do think SF is playing it tight and intends to pick Tru. Just my hunch.

I think that I have 2017 draft depression. I am struggling to see any way that the Bills can improve significantly from last season's cluster-f*ck, even with a good draft.

Bills are many players away from being competitive, chiefly a QB - but I am not a believer in anyone in this QB class. If I HAD to take a chance on a QB, my pick would likely be on Watson, but I think he was bailed out A LOT by the incredible WR/TE talent around him. Watching the National Championship comeback, the receivers made him look good rather than the other way around. Next up would be Trubisky, but his lack of starting experience is a red-flag to me. I am not a fan of Mahomes, but I can at least see why some like him so much. I just see a turnover machine early that will be run out of town for not succeeding instantaneously.

There will be a very good WR available - whether your preference is Mike Williams or Corey Davis, one or both will be there. Still, without a decent starting QB, neither will have much of an impact.

There will be a very good DB available - be it a CB or one of the 2 highly rated Safeties, there should be a good DB prospect available. However, with the Bills' abysmal 2016 defensive performance and the losses of Gilmore and Aaron Williams, they will at best be treading water with a DB pick.

I really like Stanford's Thomas, but I can't see him being available. Even if a TOP DL prospect such as Jonathan Allen is available, he won't transform this woeful defense into enough of a strength to make a difference.

In short, I don't see the possibility of a savior in this class and the first few picks will likely be spent treading water filling in for offseason losses of Gilmore and Williams and/or filling the gaping hole at WR.

Best case scenario, IMHO, would be a trade down or two for an extra pick(s) in the 2nd/3rd round where reinforcements might be found. However, I think this is a long-shot in terms of finding a trade partner in a draft where there is a reasonably deep class with not a steep drop-off in key positions like DB in early round 1. If the Bills are lucky, some teams will not agree that this is a weak QB class and want to trade up, but given that there is no obvious pecking order for QBs, it is hard for me to believe that a team will have enough conviction for one of the QBs to trade up for them.

Shanahan loved Kirk Cousins in Washington and had nothing but contempt for Griffin. A number of scouts are comparing Trubisky to Cousins. So it isn't so outlandish to believe that San Fran and Shanahan would have a desire to draft the qb prospect. Shanahan and Lynch are both on very long term contracts. So getting their franchise qb early in their contract lifespan might be a reasonable approach to take.

What Buffalo has never learned is that getting the qb position secured sooner rather than later is the best approach to take when building a roster. Dithering and hesitating is an act of self-sabotage that always leads to staffing changes.

Of course, they STILL don't understand that QB is important - yet you get it!

QBs are hard to find and they really have had few opportunities in the draft. Some here cling to pointing out missing on Derek Carr and Russel Wilson as proof that the Bills don't know what they are doing at QB, but realistically, if ANY team that doesn't already have a very good starting QB (about 2/3 of the league) knew that either of these guys were going to be what they've become, then they would have been selected in the first round.

I guess that I am not a pessimistic as some. Rex was abysmal IMO and the defense will be better based on his disappearance. Rob was worse. I expect a bounce back from the DL. They are missing a LB and a CB but hopefully they can scheme around it and add some talent in the draft. They gave up TDs on 17 of 18 RZ possessions. It's hard to win games like that. The DVOA for the defense was like 28 last year. I wouldn't be shocked to see them go to like 16. The offense DVOA was 9. I think that if you add a weapon like Corey Davis the offense may actually improve. They scored a lot of points last year and I don't see that changing with improved skill players. I'd like to match MG but the offense has a chance to be really good.

I just don't see the doom and gloom that others do. I don't see rainbows and lollipops either. They need some things to go their way but the coaching alone offsets a ton of it. Let's hope McDermott and his staff are up to the task.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I think that I have 2017 draft depression. I am struggling to see any way that the Bills can improve significantly from last season's cluster-f*ck, even with a good draft.

Bills are many players away from being competitive, chiefly a QB - but I am not a believer in anyone in this QB class. If I HAD to take a chance on a QB, my pick would likely be on Watson, but I think he was bailed out A LOT by the incredible WR/TE talent around him. Watching the National Championship comeback, the receivers made him look good rather than the other way around. Next up would be Trubisky, but his lack of starting experience is a red-flag to me. I am not a fan of Mahomes, but I can at least see why some like him so much. I just see a turnover machine early that will be run out of town for not succeeding instantaneously.

There will be a very good WR available - whether your preference is Mike Williams or Corey Davis, one or both will be there. Still, without a decent starting QB, neither will have much of an impact.

There will be a very good DB available - be it a CB or one of the 2 highly rated Safeties, there should be a good DB prospect available. However, with the Bills' abysmal 2016 defensive performance and the losses of Gilmore and Aaron Williams, they will at best be treading water with a DB pick.

I really like Stanford's Thomas, but I can't see him being available. Even if a TOP DL prospect such as Jonathan Allen is available, he won't transform this woeful defense into enough of a strength to make a difference.

In short, I don't see the possibility of a savior in this class and the first few picks will likely be spent treading water filling in for offseason losses of Gilmore and Williams and/or filling the gaping hole at WR.

Best case scenario, IMHO, would be a trade down or two for an extra pick(s) in the 2nd/3rd round where reinforcements might be found. However, I think this is a long-shot in terms of finding a trade partner in a draft where there is a reasonably deep class with not a steep drop-off in key positions like DB in early round 1. If the Bills are lucky, some teams will not agree that this is a weak QB class and want to trade up, but given that there is no obvious pecking order for QBs, it is hard for me to believe that a team will have enough conviction for one of the QBs to trade up for them.

With respect to the first highlighted area in my eyes the Bills are in a second stage rebuilding mode. I see this team winning six or seven games next season. This team not only has overall average talent but what makes things very tenuous is the lack of depth. As the season advances and the inevitable injuries mount this team will be very vulnerable. The buffoonish Rex did a lot of damage to this franchise in his short stint. Cleaning up his mess is part of the rebuilding process

With respect to the second highlighted area I strongly believe that the Bills need to get a good qb prospect on board sooner rather than later. Although none of the qbs will be ready in their rookie year I believe that this is a good rookie crop. The scouts for teams are rating this class much higher than the superficial media analysts who have a tendency to follow their own crowd.

I don't believe that the Bills will use a high pick on a qb. That lack of urgency in addressing the qb position is the main reason why it is not only a failed organization but a long term irrelevant franchise in the league.

I guess that I am not a pessimistic as some. Rex was abysmal IMO and the defense will be better based on his disappearance. Rob was worse. I expect a bounce back from the DL. They are missing a LB and a CB but hopefully they can scheme around it and add some talent in the draft. They gave up TDs on 17 of 18 RZ possessions. It's hard to win games like that. The DVOA for the defense was like 28 last year. I wouldn't be shocked to see them go to like 16. The offense DVOA was 9. I think that if you add a weapon like Corey Davis the offense may actually improve. They scored a lot of points last year and I don't see that changing with improved skill players. I'd like to match MG but the offense has a chance to be really good.

I just don't see the doom and gloom that others do. I don't see rainbows and lollipops either. They need some things to go their way but the coaching alone offsets a ton of it. Let's hope McDermott and his staff are up to the task.

I'm not deliberately trying to be pessimistic but in my view this is a six to seven win team. The starting talent is average at best but what places this team in a very precarious state is its lack of depth. As the season advances and the injuries mount this team will precipitously fall.

One of the reasons I am staunchly advocating for using a high draft pick to select a qb is that I believe that this upcoming season is going to be a lost season from a competitive standpoint. Anyone who truly believes that this team is a playoff team is deluding themselves. As I stated in a prior post Rex did a tremendous amount of damage. It set this franchise back by years. The repeated change in systems on the defensive side of the ball will take its toll on this team.

Edited by JohnC

With respect to the first highlighted area in my eyes the Bills are in a second stage rebuilding mode. I see this team winning six or seven games next season. This team not only has overall average talent but what makes things very tenuous is the lack of depth. As the season advances and the inevitable injuries mount this team will be very vulnerable. The buffoonish Rex did a lot of damage to this franchise in his short stint. Cleaning up his mess is part of the rebuilding process

With respect to the second highlighted area I strongly believe that the Bills need to get a good qb prospect on board sooner rather than later. Although none of the qbs will be ready in their rookie year I believe that this is a good rookie crop. The scouts for teams are rating this class much higher than the superficial media analysts who have a tendency to follow their own crowd.

I don't believe that the Bills will use a high pick on a qb. That lack of urgency in addressing the qb position is the main reason why it is not only a failed organization but a long term irrelevant franchise in the league.

I'm not deliberately trying to be pessimistic but in my view this is a six to seven win team. The starting talent is average at best but what places this team in a very precarious state is its lack of depth. As the season advances and the injuries mount this team will precipitously fall.

One of the reasons I am staunchly advocating for using a high draft pick to select a qb is that I believe that this upcoming season is going to be a lost season from a competitive standpoint. Anyone who truly believes that this team is a playoff team is deluding themselves. As I stated in a prior post Rex did a tremendous amount of damage. It set this franchise back by years. The repeated change in systems on the defensive side of the ball will take its toll on this team.

I have them between 6 & 10 wins. I know that's kind of a weak answer but if things go their way I could see them as a playoff team. They are going to need to be healthy and get a few breaks but teams do that every year (just not the Bills). My guess is that they are around .500 (like every year).

I have them between 6 & 10 wins. I know that's kind of a weak answer but if things go their way I could see them as a playoff team. They are going to need to be healthy and get a few breaks but teams do that every year (just not the Bills). My guess is that they are around .500 (like every year).

What you are essentially saying is that this team is likely going to be mediocre again. My belief is that our lack of depth is going to come into play as the season advances and the injuries mount. It is a perilously thin roster!

I honestly don't believe that this team is close to being a playoff team. Not a realistic chance. That's how I see it.

Until the qb issue is upgraded this team, as most teams are without a franchise qb, is built to be at best a .500 team. Dithering on the qb issue isn't a recipe for success---it is a baked in recipe for mediocrity.

Add a WR, match Gilly, stay healthy, keep the offense at a similar level of productivity, and fix what Rex broke. I can see 10 wins. I'm more optimistic than I was under the last coaching staff. (This is how they disappoint me every year.)

Add a WR, match Gilly, stay healthy, keep the offense at a similar level of productivity, and fix what Rex broke. I can see 10 wins. I'm more optimistic than I was under the last coaching staff. (This is how they disappoint me every year.)

That is where I am at Augie. They have some holes now but they can be patched in the draft if they draft well.

What you are essentially saying is that this team is likely going to be mediocre again. My belief is that our lack of depth is going to come into play as the season advances and the injuries mount. It is a perilously thin roster!

I honestly don't believe that this team is close to being a playoff team. Not a realistic chance. That's how I see it.

Until the qb issue is upgraded this team, as most teams are without a franchise qb, is built to be at best a .500 team. Dithering on the qb issue isn't a recipe for success---it is a baked in recipe for mediocrity.

They have gotten better QB play than Houston, KC and Miami over the last 2 years and all 3 were in the playoffs last year. I am not buying they can't be a playoff team with TT. He is 15-14 as a starter with this roster. I will buy that they aren't a Super Bowl contender but they can certainly be a playoff team.

:beer:

I'm on that train myself.

Stands out watching Gareon Conley that #OSU consistently left him 1on1 vs Mike Williams & Chris Godwin with no help

Some games posted here

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/gareon-conley/

Christian McCaffrey is going top ten. Put it in ink. #Panthers.

As I've said before, I'll happily take a 6-10 season. Just as long as I can see the roster evolve and see a plan unfolding.

#TrustTheProcess

Agree. A bit like Marrone's first year where I saw a bit of an identity despite the record staying stagnant and they reshaped the roster a bit to fit what he wanted, began to implement an aggressive pressure based D etc...

Just on the debate above I don't see any way this is a playoff team in 2017, but then I said the same about Miami in 2016....

The Bills have an abysmal record against good teams with winning records. (I don't have the stats but I believe they lose nearly 80% of the time against winning teams. Would appreciate it if someone can find the stat.) That is a good measure as to how good they actually are.

The system is designed for parity where the majority of teams to hover around the .500 range. That is done through scheduling. It is an artificial aid for the weaker teams to maintain interest through the appearance of a competitive balance. Or another way of putting it weaker teams are propped up while stronger teams are given more obstacles to succeed.

There are years where the results are aberrations. If you combine seasons in three or four year groupings you get a better idea where the team actually ranks. The Bills have been a consistent team. It is not too challenging to recognize where they rank.

Agree. A bit like Marrone's first year where I saw a bit of an identity despite the record staying stagnant and they reshaped the roster a bit to fit what he wanted, began to implement an aggressive pressure based D etc...

Marrone was not a very likable person. But he coached hard and his players played hard. When he left and Rex entered the door this franchise was dramatically set back. One wonders where this team would be if Marrone would have stayed longer?

The Bills have an abysmal record against good teams with winning records. (I don't have the stats but I believe they lose nearly 80% of the time against winning teams. Would appreciate it if someone can find the stat.) That is a good measure as to how good they actually are.

The system is designed for parity where the majority of teams to hover around the .500 range. That is done through scheduling. It is an artificial aid for the weaker teams to maintain interest through the appearance of a competitive balance. Or another way of putting it weaker teams are propped up while stronger teams are given more obstacles to succeed.

There are years where the results are aberrations. If you combine seasons in three or four year groupings you get a better idea where the team actually ranks. The Bills have been a consistent team. It is not too challenging to recognize where they rank.

Marrone was not a very likable person. But he coached hard and his players played hard. When he left and Rex entered the door this franchise was dramatically set back. One wonders where this team would be if Marrone would have stayed longer?

I think the defense would have remained strong for an extra year or two. But keep in mind Marrone had no idea what to do on offense. Anthony Lynn, a running backs coach guy who had never called NFL plays, was 20 times better than Nate Can't Hackett. Probably would have made playoffs in one year with Orton and great defense. Roster would still eventually fall off as Mario broke down and our poor drafting caught up to us.

Yep. It is hard to project because had Marrone stayed in 2015 who would have been the Quarterback? We know that Rex was a major factor if not the only one pushing for Tyrod. If you had the 2015 roster with Marrone as Head Coach and Schwartz as DC the Bills are a playoff team in my opinion, but you likely wouldn't have had Tyrod at QB and that might well have kept them out.

Yep. It is hard to project because had Marrone stayed in 2015 who would have been the Quarterback? We know that Rex was a major factor if not the only one pushing for Tyrod. If you had the 2015 roster with Marrone as Head Coach and Schwartz as DC the Bills are a playoff team in my opinion, but you likely wouldn't have had Tyrod at QB and that might well have kept them out.

We'd probably have Garrett Grayson instead of Ron Darby

@lancezierlein

If you missed Path to the Draft over the last three days, one of the most interesting rumors circulating is that Jaguars could go QB at #4.

That would be Trubisky. Marrone and Coughlin too conservative to go Mahomes.

I doubt Marrone was up for going the rookie route again. Nick Foles or Sam Bradford would have been his likely targets in my opinion before those two swapped teams.

Marrone is Coughlin's puppet.

I think the defense would have remained strong for an extra year or two. But keep in mind Marrone had no idea what to do on offense. Anthony Lynn, a running backs coach guy who had never called NFL plays, was 20 times better than Nate Can't Hackett. Probably would have made playoffs in one year with Orton and great defense. Roster would still eventually fall off as Mario broke down and our poor drafting caught up to us.

Hackett has deservedly received a lot of criticism for his play calling. What did he have to work with?

With respect to the highlighted section that's the essence of the problem with this team: talent evaluation and acquisition. Over time strategy will never trump the lack of talent. You are only as good as your are.

@lancezierlein

If you missed Path to the Draft over the last three days, one of the most interesting rumors circulating is that Jaguars could go QB at #4.

Wouldn't surprise me. Bortles was Osweiler-bad last year. What's becoming clear is Cleveland will have to trade up from 12 if they want Trubisky.

Wouldn't surprise me. Bortles was Osweiler-bad last year. What's becoming clear is Cleveland will have to trade up from 12 if they want Trubisky.

my uninformed opinion is that Trubisky to Browns is the new Nassib to Buffalo. A lot of assumptions based on very little actual knowledge. They might draft him, but the odds are not higher than them taking any of the other QBs or trading for a QB. Edited by YoloinOhio

my uninformed opinion is that Trubisky to Browns is the new Nassib to Buffalo. A lot of assumptions based on very little actual knowledge. They might draft him, but the odds are not higher than them taking any of the other QBs or trading for a QB.

Kind of agree with this. Wouldn't surprise me if Watson goes before Trubisky, but I think if Cleveland wants to be sure of getting their first choice, they have to trade up from 12. I think Bills would be happy to have their pick of QB's at 10.

Kind of agree with this. Wouldn't surprise me if Watson goes before Trubisky, but I think if Cleveland wants to be sure of getting their first choice, they have to trade up from 12. I think Bills would be happy to have their pick of QB's at 10.

again, no knowledge here, but if the Browns are truly analytics-driven, they won't take one at 1 or 12.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.