RD 4, Pick 139: QB Cardale Jones, Ohio State

Rex's response was, in his own words, to junk the hybrid system and install more of his own system. Again in his own words, he felt that this was a turning point and that the defense started to play better and more consistently.

If we take the off-season moves made, we see the Bills have invested significantly in the defense this year. So, while Rex did say the defense improved over the course of the season, we might read between the lines and understand that it wasn't anywhere near good enough for him.

I think it's ironic that you mention Pettine, who ran the same defense that Ryan runs. Why was it that some players were able to run the defense under Pettine and not under Ryan? Odd that they couldn't remember the defense they ran only two seasons earlier, no?

Bottom line: bring back the same old Schwartz isn't going to happen.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex's response was, in his own words, to junk the hybrid system and install more of his own system. Again in his own words, he felt that this was a turning point and that the defense started to play better and more consistently.

If we take the off-season moves made, we see the Bills have invested significantly in the defense this year. So, while Rex did say the defense improved over the course of the season, we might read between the lines and understand that it wasn't anywhere near good enough for him.

I think it's ironic that you mention Pettine, who ran the same defense that Ryan runs. Why was it that some players were able to run the defense under Pettine and not under Ryan? Odd that they couldn't remember the defense they ran only two seasons earlier, no?

Pettine worked under Rex but the defense he ran was somewhat different from the one Rex ran in his first year. But that isn't the point. The defense under Pettine was much more effective than it was under Rex. Explain that disparity! I'm not absolving the players of their culpability with the decline of their collective performance but there was a disconnect between the players and Rex that didn't exist between the players and Pettine and with the players and Schwartz. That's my basic point. Again, if Pettine's approach was so similar to Rex's then why did it underachieve so much last year?

Of course that Schwartz defense isn't going to be brought back. That's obvious. The reconstruction of the defense, as demonstrated by the draft, is going on full throttle in order to prop up a coach who mismanaged the players he worked with. In other words tear it down to build it back up. Instead of being down the road you go back to the starting point to begin all over again. That's not a smart way to run an operation.

Edited by JohnC

At least Rex and Whales have a QB Coach already in place and they're not relying on a rookie NFL OC to pull double duty as OC and QB position coach. And hopefully the starting QB won't slip on a wet mat and pull his ganubie forcing the rookie to be thrown into action instead of riding the pine and holding a clipboard for a couple of years.

I think the Jests would have picked EJ in the second instead of Gene 0 if The Bills hadn't. JMHO.

At least Rex and Whales have a QB Coach already in place and they're not relying on a rookie NFL OC to pull double duty as OC and QB position coach. And hopefully the starting QB won't slip on a wet mat and pull his ganubie forcing the rookie to be thrown into action instead of riding the pine and holding a clipboard for a couple of years.

I think the Jests would have picked EJ in the second instead of Gene 0 if The Bills hadn't. JMHO.

no qb coach and go into the season with only 2 rookies at QB on the active roster, which stays that way until week 6 when one gets hurt. 2013, ya'll. :sick: Edited by YoloinOhio

• 2 weeks later...

Fast forward to late August: CJ has put up gaudy stats throwing to the 6th and 7th string wideouts in the 3rd and 4th quarters of games against future grocery baggers.

TSW is all aflutter with how the Bills should cut EJ and put TT on a short leash.

Watch it happen.

Fast forward to late August: CJ has put up gaudy stats throwing to the 6th and 7th string wideouts in the 3rd and 4th quarters of games against future grocery baggers.

TSW is all aflutter with how the Bills should cut EJ and put TT on a short leash.

Watch it happen.

Come on man! You know TSW is far too football savvy for that kind of discussion.

Congrats Cardele!!

Just show a little confidence and the backup position is yours.

Imo

Based on what a few of us have heard out of OTAs, he needs to show a helluva lot more than confidence. He's lost out there right now

Based on what a few of us have heard out of OTAs, he needs to show a helluva lot more than confidence. He's lost out there right now

The guy is set up to over-achieve. We should all be excited for him.

He is not as raw as the media is making him out to be. He is more talented than our current backup and just needs to show confidence. I will not be surprised to see him as our 2.

Imo

He is not as raw as the media is making him out to be. He is more talented than our current backup and just needs to show confidence. I will not be surprised to see him as our 2.

Imo

I actually hope not.

C. Jones has an excellent opportunity to be brought along really slowly and work on all those mechanical things that need coached up. Just use the year that we have with EJ Manuel as a clipboard holder.

Imo

I half agree: he's got as much physical ability as anybody; I've seen him play in person more than once. The arm talent is obvious.

I actually wasn't referring to media when I referenced his performance in OTAs. There were multiple accounts from people in attendance (two from this board that PM'd me separately) that aren't media that said he's simply lost out there.

Now, that's not to say that he can't eventually become the backup, but he's got a long way to go in terms of getting up to the speed of the game before picking up Roman's offense even becomes his #1 priority.

I just hope D.Lee is CJ's best buddy and spends 50% of his day coaching up CJ to become the best he can be this year.Don't waste too much effort on EJ. He met his ceiling a long time ago and hit it hard enough to require the concussion protocol.

I just hope D.Lee is CJ's best buddy and spends 50% of his day coaching up CJ to become the best he can be this year.Don't waste too much effort on EJ. He met his ceiling a long time ago and hit it hard enough to require the concussion protocol.

Except that given where Cardale is in the developmental process, it's quite probable that EJ will still be the first guy off the bench if Tyrod has an injury (**crosses fingers**), so EJ's going to need as much coaching as anyone.

Not to mention that Tyrod is hardly a savvy vet at this point, so he'll need coaching points as well.

no qb coach and go into the season with only 2 rookies at QB on the active roster, which stays that way until week 6 when one gets hurt. 2013, ya'll. :sick:

Queue the Four Seasons' hit song: "That's why we call him... Moroon".

I actually hope not.

C. Jones has an excellent opportunity to be brought along really slowly and work on all those mechanical things that need coached up. Just use the year that we have with EJ Manuel as a clipboard holder.

Yes, ideally C. Jones is brought along very slowly, and the only thing EJ holds all year is the clipboard. NOT game balls!

Yes, ideally C. Jones is brought along very slowly, and the only thing EJ holds all year is the clipboard. NOT game balls!

I respectfully disagree. I hope we go 14-1 and lock up home field advantage, and EJ gets the start in the meaningless finale against the Jets.

I respectfully disagree. I hope we go 14-1 and lock up home field advantage, and EJ gets the start in the meaningless finale against the Jets.

This is my kinda fun !

nice plot twist Hondo.

Jones is likely in good hands with a sound plan. No Seriously !

I dont mind EJM backing up this year. Who knows maybe Fitz will still be available mid season if things get ugly.

But let Jones get raised right. If he gets his footing sooner then later ? Great. but right now he is just calling the plays in. basic as it gets

Oh, your version wins! I guess that kind of optimism has been beaten out of me. But I love a good delusion as much as the next guy! :)

Oh, your version wins! I guess that kind of optimism has been beaten out of me. But I love a good delusion as much as the next guy! :)

I love you both. You're making me feel all....Hopeful. (but you're still not getting my Bud lite)

@JohnMurphyShow

We're live with #Bills QB Cardale Jones tonight at 730pm-just signed his contract today. @CJ12

CARDALE JONES: "I HAVE TO PROVE MYSELF" (12:10)

Bills fourth round selection, QB Cardale Jones called in to The John Murphy Show to talk about signing his rookie contract, his work so far during the offseason program, and his goal to develop into an NFL quarterback.