Bills Astro-Mock

Astrobot

There's a great article on Reed in the Buffalo News where he addresses his pass rushing abilities.

“The pass rush is there,” Reed said. “I played within a system at Alabama. I know I can pass rush. I can be an every-down player. You plug in the Senior Bowl film and you’ll know I can pass rush. … I know I can pass rush and that’s not even a question.”

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/04/25/dl/

I've come around on Reed. I know everyone loves to point out it's a passing league, but people also run the ball a lot. It's not like they changed the rules to CFL or something where there's only 3 downs, they expanded the field, and teams throw all the time. You still need to stop the run.

Darron Lee worries me because I think the run D will suffer and with such a small LB group, teams could pound the ball against the front 7 all day.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Missing from logical thinking here is what's already on the Bills roster. Last year, the Bills used Dareus primarily as a three technique two-gap run stopper. Anyone that knows anything about football would tell you that you do not give a $100m contract to a defensive lineman to be a two-gap run stopper. Reed IMO represents the perfect pick for the Bills. Put him in the middle and bump Dareus to the outside. You also already have Hughes on the outside along with Kyle Williams. At #19, and for what he's actually done in his college career, he's a perfect fit. Could they still pick an OLB with that first pick in the draft? Sure they could. They did visit Darron Lee (who should be gone well before #19) and Leonard Floyd. At the end of the day, I see Floyd as a fallback position if they don't get their guy.

Yes! This!

Thank you for expanding what I was trying to say.

Except Reed is a so-so player for #19 overall. As was mentioned, I would trade down and still get him.

It's not a given that Lawson will be gone by #19 overall.

I would take Rankins over Reed as well.

The Bills would be "settling" if they were to take Reed at #19 overall.

I would agree with this.

He might have been a great run stuffer at Alabama but then they pulled him out on 3rd downs. Then the NFL level is an entirely different animal where those two-gapping rush stuffers need to be 325lb+ monsters who are far more athletic than this guy. If anything, this fire hydrant kid reminds me of a William "refrigerator" Perry type who could only play in a 6 sq yard area and he was 335 lbs. Kind of outdated in today's game.

The biggest reason Im excited for this draft is that the Bills can play out any of what seems to be hundreds of scenarios, and Ill be ok with it.

The last time that happened to me, I turned to my friend right before the pick and said something very similar, about it doesn't matter who they pick, I'm totally good with it. And then from the podium came the words, "With the 8th pick of the 2006 draft, the Buffalo Bills select Donte Whitner."

The last time that happened to me, I turned to my friend right before the pick and said something very similar, about it doesn't matter who they pick, I'm totally good with it. And then from the podium came the words, "With the 8th pick of the 2006 draft, the Buffalo Bills select Donte Whitner."

haha, so true, such is the life of a Bills fan :beer: :beer:

Bastard! :lol: Where you been?

That was slightly better than "the Buffalo Bills select Aaron Maybin"!

(were have you been dude?)

Who is most like this guy ( http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JenkKr00.htm) or this guy ( http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RichSh00.htm )-- Reed or Butler?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1999382/vernon-butler

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/jarran-reed?id=2555238

If the Bills go interior d-line, I suspect they'll want either a Jenkins or Richardson type - both of whom could get to the QB. But what do I know?

Edited by dave mcbride

My sig line hasn't changed for weeks. Still worth considering.
But here goes:
RD1 Jarran Reed DT34,DE. You had dinner with him in front of God and Everybody.
Other candidates: Fuller, Michael Thomas, Shepard---We need a WR, Fuller=speed, Thomas=size. Shep=separation Watkins=can he last a season?
Dark horse: Ragland ILB. Rex needs his David Harris, and the way the draft falls, he offers the most value
RD2 Cravens OLB (4 visits). Hybrid LB-S too cool a toy for Rex.
Other candidates: Washington DT/DE if Reed-Rankins not selected; Chris Jones, Bronson Kaufusi EDGE
Other candidates: Germain Ifedi ROT, Kamalei Correa Cover LB, Vonn Bell SS
Dark horse: Cook QB but I'm pretty sure he's not the guy.
RD3 - Next Available WR of Shepard, Carroo, Thomas, or Boyd still on the board.
Other candidates: Kyler Fackrell, Cyrus Jones CB (may be there RD4 but they like him)
Dark horses: Hackenberg QB or Christian Westerman OG. I'll be a genius if they take him.
RD4A – Yannick Ngakoue OLB34.

Dark horses: Cardale QB, Killebrew SS, DeAndre Houston-Carson Listenbee WR

RD4B – Kevin Hogan QB
Dark horses: Spencer Drango or Pearce Slater run-blocking OGOT, Nile Lawrence-Stample DT
RD5 –S goes here: SS Byard, SS Kearse, FS T.J. Green, FS Deiondre' Hall.
Dark horse: Charone Peake WR (Sammy's roomie), Joe Dahl run-blocking OGOT, Dominique Alexander ILB
RD6A -Fill-in pick.
---------Aguayo if he's still here,
---------Brissett if no QB taken yet,

---------Caleb Benenoch run-blocking ROT

---------Curt Maggitt OLB
---------Tajae Sharpe or Ricardo Louis WR
---------Thomas Duarte or Ryan Malleck TE
---------Elijah Shumate SS
---------Josh Tupou DT34
RD6B – ILB Antonio Longino. Another one where I look like a genius or a fool.
Dark horses: Nick Ritcher, Gronkowski, Devon “Rockhead” Johnson FB/RB, Tavon Young CB
--------Henry Krieger-Coble TE
We're still planning on updating our mock after EVERY PICK! http://www.drafttek.com/2016-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp Go Bills! -Astro, DraftTek

Like it! Think Sterling Shepard is perfect for this O and helps Tyrod over middle. Jarran Reed at the nose lets you move Dareus around. Ngakoue would be perfect situational rusher early and bring some depth

Nice work Astro!

I had just commented earlier this week that I wasnt big on Reed, but I think part of that has been not wanting to be a Bama homer and second guessing it. As we approach the draft, Im much more on board with landing Reed to play the middle and let Dareus and Kyle wreak havoc around him.

Reed and Cravens would be a great start to our draft!

Cant wait to get round 1 started tomorrow! :thumbsup:

I would love this draft, though not the biggest Hogan fan. I think Sheppard has a chance to be really good.

You come back to the board with this? Mods give him a warning point :flirt:

Welcome back

Astro I noticed Gil Brandt had Jacoby Brissett as his #64 rated prospect in the draft. I think he'll end up being a 3rd or 4th round pick. I'm pretty sure the Bills would have to take him with one of their 4th round draft choices if they had an interest in Brissett.

My sig line hasn't changed for weeks. Still worth considering.

But here goes:

RD1 Jarran Reed DT34,DE. You had dinner with him in front of God and Everybody.

Other candidates: Fuller, Michael Thomas, Shepard---We need a WR, Fuller=speed, Thomas=size. Shep=separation Watkins=can he last a season?

Dark horse: Ragland ILB. Rex needs his David Harris, and the way the draft falls, he offers the most value

RD2 Cravens OLB (4 visits). Hybrid LB-S too cool a toy for Rex.

Other candidates: Washington DT/DE if Reed-Rankins not selected; Chris Jones, Bronson Kaufusi EDGE

Other candidates: Germain Ifedi ROT, Kamalei Correa Cover LB, Vonn Bell SS

Dark horse: Cook QB but I'm pretty sure he's not the guy.

RD3 - Next Available WR of Shepard, Carroo, Thomas, or Boyd still on the board.

Other candidates: Kyler Fackrell, Cyrus Jones CB (may be there RD4 but they like him)

Dark horses: Hackenberg QB or Christian Westerman OG. I'll be a genius if they take him.

RD4A – Yannick Ngakoue OLB34.

Dark horses: Cardale QB, Killebrew SS, DeAndre Houston-Carson Listenbee WR

RD4B – Kevin Hogan QB

Dark horses: Spencer Drango or Pearce Slater run-blocking OGOT, Nile Lawrence-Stample DT

RD5 –S goes here: SS Byard, SS Kearse, FS T.J. Green, FS Deiondre' Hall.

Dark horse: Charone Peake WR (Sammy's roomie), Joe Dahl run-blocking OGOT, Dominique Alexander ILB

RD6A -Fill-in pick.

---------Aguayo if he's still here,

---------Brissett if no QB taken yet,

---------Caleb Benenoch run-blocking ROT

---------Curt Maggitt OLB

---------Tajae Sharpe or Ricardo Louis WR

---------Thomas Duarte or Ryan Malleck TE

---------Elijah Shumate SS

---------Josh Tupou DT34

RD6B – ILB Antonio Longino. Another one where I look like a genius or a fool.

Dark horses: Nick Ritcher, Gronkowski, Devon “Rockhead” Johnson FB/RB, Tavon Young CB

--------Henry Krieger-Coble TE

We're still planning on updating our mock after EVERY PICK! http://www.drafttek.com/2016-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp Go Bills! -Astro, DraftTek

Reed too much like Dareus for me. What does he have read like 2 career sacks? I want a pressure guy not a run stuffer as to me Dareus is getting bigger every year and looks now like a NT and not a rushing end or tackle.

Missing from logical thinking here is what's already on the Bills roster. Last year, the Bills used Dareus primarily as a three technique two-gap run stopper. Anyone that knows anything about football would tell you that you do not give a $100m contract to a defensive lineman to be a two-gap run stopper. Reed IMO represents the perfect pick for the Bills. Put him in the middle and bump Dareus to the outside. You also already have Hughes on the outside along with Kyle Williams. At #19, and for what he's actually done in his college career, he's a perfect fit. Could they still pick an OLB with that first pick in the draft? Sure they could. They did visit Darron Lee (who should be gone well before #19) and Leonard Floyd. At the end of the day, I see Floyd as a fallback position if they don't get their guy.

I love when someone types out my exact thoughts and saves me the time. Thanks Lux

I love when someone types out my exact thoughts and saves me the time. Thanks Lux

The logic is fine but this isn't in a vacuum. The issue is value - you can get a space-eater like Reed later in the draft. Your top-20 pick needs to be a long-term disruptive player. You don't draft a guy at 19 because of the way that Rex used Dareus last year. That's wayyyy too short-sighted. BADOL keeps banging the table about this and he's right: take the best playmaker at an impact position in Round 1. You can address more specific needs later on in the draft.

Reed is a good player and I suspect the Bills like him a lot. But at 19, they can do better - take a guy with a higher ceiling and more scheme versatility (Jones, Butler). If they trade down to the low 20s, then Reed would make more sense.

And I'll add: Floyd isn't a "fallback" - Floyd is going top ten, mark my words.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I also think Floyd is gone very early. No one on this board likes him it seems, but most of the draft analysts have him ranked very high and also think he's a good fit with bills scheme.

@jasoncoleBR

Have had 3 GMs say that Georgia LB/DE Leonard Floyd will end up in the top 10 tonight. Project him as best potential right end/pass rusher

Edited by YoloinOhio