Bills Working on extensions for Gilmore & Maybe Tyrod

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's interesting to me to think about where the NFL is going with the cap. We have to money to sign two high profile positions this year and a QB next year. With the cap increase over the years, we should be able to fit Sammy in without having to make too many cuts.

I feel like teams couldn't afford this many premium positions before and we will start to see teams rewarded for drafting well, by having a competitive advantage of re-signing them.

Fortunately, we have a GM who's drafting the right guys in the first place and we are locking up good, young players of a premium.

It's interesting to me to think about where the NFL is going with the cap. We have to money to sign two high profile positions this year and a QB next year. With the cap increase over the years, we should be able to fit Sammy in without having to make too many cuts.

I feel like teams couldn't afford this many premium positions before and we will start to see teams rewarded for drafting well, by having a competitive advantage of re-signing them.

Fortunately, we have a GM who's drafting the right guys in the first place and we are locking up good, young players of a premium.

It's a great point and the last labor agreement finally got it right. How many millions were thrown away on Jamarcus Russels, Mike Williamses, etc? Even if a player doesn't perform for his 2nd contract it's on the FO for not figuring that out instead of a rookie crapshoot. If we had given Byrd his money we would have lost A. Williams or not been able to afford McCoy, etc. Dominoes working against the future.

By the time Sammy's contract is due up 3 years from now (2 more years left on his deal plus you assume they have a 5th year option) there will be plenty of space to fit him in even if TT, Glen, and Gilmore are on huge deals. First off as you said the cap increases are a plus but players will decline and their will be cuts, the McCoy's, InCog's, E.Woods, Kyle Williams, Jerry Hughes, and Clay's currently on big deals will likely decline and their bigger numbers be off the team at least that will be the case for most of them.

I would worry about trying to fit Glenn, Gilmore, and TT onto next years roster as the amount of fat to cut next season will be a lot less and TT's contract could be huge. If they can make it with those three next year, I would feel very comfortable about fitting players onto the team soon after.

I dont think they'll commit to $15M for Taylor right now. But if they could find room to bump him up this year and throw a couple extra million his way, I bet that would be appreciated across the entire locker room, and hopefully if/when it comes time to work out the expensive long term deal.

Right now, everything needs to be focused on getting Gilmore done. If they could do that before camp... holy cow, what an offseason that would be.

I don't get this at all. How would it benefit the Bills to "bump him up this year" without it being part of a long term deal? And how would that be appreciated across the locker room?

It seems to me it would send discontent across the locker room for every player who is under contract at less than they think they're worth on the open market. Everyone currently under contract would expect to be "bumped up" as a friendly 'lil gesture, without any new committment on the players part.

I don't get this at all. How would it benefit the Bills to "bump him up this year" without it being part of a long term deal? And how would that be appreciated across the locker room?

It seems to me it would send discontent across the locker room for every player who is under contract at less than they think they're worth on the open market. Everyone currently under contract would expect to be "bumped up" as a friendly 'lil gesture, without any new committment on the players part.

This sums it up. I love the sentiment of the "top-up" on the contract, but that would come back to bite the Bills in a big way. Players, no matter how things turn out, should honor the contract they agree to. That's how the rest of the world works. Regardless, I can hardly pity someone making more than $1million annually, despite the knowledge that their contemporaries are making ten times as much. It's a million bucks to play sports!

I don't see how. Yes you can get Gilmore done because his 5th year option and long term contract aren't far away in terms of money this year. How in the world would they find an extra 15-20 million this year for Tyrod?

You do it with a 2nd year option for the Bills to pick up rest of contract where the Bills give him a raise this year and guarantee his salary; as an example the salary cost for Gilmore's 5th year does not reflect into cap until they pick up option.

The question is can Bills and Tyrod's representation team come to a deal now with understanding that if Tyrod doesn't that being tagged is an option next year and following year if necessary?

Even Revis is not Revis island anymore

I remember when Stevie Johnson had a private yacht off Revis island.

I just read that the Bills now have north of $14mil in cap space. That does not include rookie deals I believe, so they will eat some of that up.

Theoretically if the Bills could work out a new deal for Gilmore how much more space would they free up?

I know Bandit seems to be the best at this stuff. Take it we sign Gilmore to a top 5 corner deal.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

It's an acknowledgement that TT deserves starter money, even if you can't afford to pay him the full boat. It's also some insurance if Taylor sustains a career ending injury, he has some money to live on. It's really a gesture of goodwill. It shows the Bills want to do right by him, even if they won't give him a long term deal now.

Here's a $3MM bump for 2016. Show us you are worth more and we'll unlock the vault for you.

It's an acknowledgement that TT deserves starter money, even if you can't afford to pay him the full boat. It's also some insurance if Taylor sustains a career ending injury, he has some money to live on. It's really a gesture of goodwill. It shows the Bills want to do right by him, even if they won't give him a long term deal now.

Here's a $3MM bump for 2016. Show us you are worth more and we'll unlock the vault for you.

Let's bump Sammy and Darby too. They aren't getting starter money.

I just read that the Bills now have north of $14mil in cap space. That does not include rookie deals I believe, so they will eat some of that up.

Theoretically if the Bills could work out a new deal for Gilmore how much more space would they free up?

I know Bandit seems to be the best at this stuff. Take it we sign Gilmore to a top 5 corner deal.

How much more space do we need? if after rookies we still have $7M...that should be enough for injuries and maybe 1 or 2 more players....

The issue is that his agent has said that TT has already shown himself as a Pro-Bowl player.

The issue is that his agent has said that TT has already shown himself as a Pro-Bowl player.

Damn it, you made me agree with Buffalo Barbarian. I will never forgive you for this.

TT's pro bowl appearance means nothing. They mean nothing in general, but as a replacement it means even less

This is just embarrassing.

How much more space do we need? if after rookies we still have $7M...that should be enough for injuries and maybe 1 or 2 more players....

I don't think we 'need' that much. It is more or less just a question in how much would get free'd up by getting a deal done w Gilmore.

Very much so, yes.

Exactly.

I'm a big believer in Gilmore, but Sal is flat-out wrong.

Richard Sherman has started 16 games in 5 consecutive seasons. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14086/richard-sherman

Patrick Peterson has started 16 games in 5 consecutive seasons. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13980/patrick-peterson

Gilmore has missed a combined 11 games in his last 3 seasons. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14942/stephon-gilmore

No sir... you have to cherry pick stats. If you do it just right.... sal will be right