Bills Working on extensions for Gilmore & Maybe Tyrod

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very much so, yes.

Exactly.

I'm a big believer in Gilmore, but Sal is flat-out wrong.

Richard Sherman has started 16 games in 5 consecutive seasons. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14086/richard-sherman

Patrick Peterson has started 16 games in 5 consecutive seasons. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13980/patrick-peterson

Gilmore has missed a combined 11 games in his last 3 seasons. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14942/stephon-gilmore

I see the "brittle" issue as legit. I also see the Bills have used gilmore as a PR/advertising "shutdown corner" for several years. Problem is, I haven't see much of that behavior on the field. He is not a Patrick Peterson or Richard Sherman. He might yet be, but not yet.......so, my view, the contract offer should be incentive laden......which reduces that hit if he doesn't perform. Frankly, I think the Bills have believed their own PR a little to much. I see a lot of parallels here to the Nate Clements situation a few years ago....Nate was B grade CB....and got megabucks...elsewhere. In retrospect, it was a good call to let him got to the 49's (I think) He finished in Cince if I recall correctly. Anyhow, Gilmore has not yet done the all pro thing....he is a very good CB...but hasn't shown A player status yet imho. He wants A player cash......I hope Whaley can sort this out and limit what they pay to what is justified based on performance. Rex, of course, wants all the D he can get to resurect his reputation as a D genius, so he won't mind overpaying. And, if it comes down to getting one only, I want TT...not Gilmore!!!

Part of the contract should be whether he "fits" in Bills plans. How many D coordinators have the Bills had since he got here?

Stephon has been pretty steady and keeps improving each year imo.

Does not shine with gold and glitter. just plays ball.

I hope he wants to rise up with the Bills and be part of the run to greatness.
he might have other plans and less patience then us Fans

I see the "brittle" issue as legit. I also see the Bills have used gilmore as a PR/advertising "shutdown corner" for several years. Problem is, I haven't see much of that behavior on the field. He is not a Patrick Peterson or Richard Sherman. He might yet be, but not yet.......so, my view, the contract offer should be incentive laden......which reduces that hit if he doesn't perform. Frankly, I think the Bills have believed their own PR a little to much. I see a lot of parallels here to the Nate Clements situation a few years ago....Nate was B grade CB....and got megabucks...elsewhere. In retrospect, it was a good call to let him got to the 49's (I think) He finished in Cince if I recall correctly. Anyhow, Gilmore has not yet done the all pro thing....he is a very good CB...but hasn't shown A player status yet imho. He wants A player cash......I hope Whaley can sort this out and limit what they pay to what is justified based on performance. Rex, of course, wants all the D he can get to resurect his reputation as a D genius, so he won't mind overpaying. And, if it comes down to getting one only, I want TT...not Gilmore!!!

Part of the problem is the idea that there's such a thing as a shutdown corner; it doesn't exist in today's NFL. All corners get beat.

I maintain you'd be hard pressed to find more than a handful of corners better than Gilmore, and if you're a top 10 corner, then you're elite (considering nickel is the most common defense, so there's effectively 96 starting corners in the league).

Part of the problem is the idea that there's such a thing as a shutdown corner; it doesn't exist in today's NFL. All corners get beat.

I maintain you'd be hard pressed to find more than a handful of corners better than Gilmore, and if you're a top 10 corner, then you're elite (considering nickel is the most common defense, so there's effectively 96 starting corners in the league).

Came here to post the same. I see people saying Gilmore isn't a lockdown corner all the time on twitter, etc. I just have to speculate they don't watch a lot of non-Bills games. Sherman gets beat. Norman gets beat. There's never going to be another Revis island.

Came here to post the same. I see people saying Gilmore isn't a lockdown corner all the time on twitter, etc. I just have to speculate they don't watch a lot of non-Bills games. Sherman gets beat. Norman gets beat. There's never going to be another Revis island.

Even Revis is not Revis island anymore

At the same time - Rex clearly likes corners he can put out there without a ton of safety help.

You guys beat me to it too. Gilmore is definitely on par with Sherman. Norman is a completely different type of CB. Even Peterson gets beat sometimes.

I dont know if it has to do with being in a smaller market, or that folks up here are so hyper-focused on our teams, but watching/following other teams (or even 1 other team) can do wonders for a Bills fan's sanity. Listening to Falcons radio in Atlanta, I was floored and then trilled when I heard them making the same complaints Ive heard from Bills fans over the years. All GMs miss on players, all Coaches make a couple bad calls every game, all WRs drop balls, all CBs get beat. It's not just us.

Sherman and Peterson have more INTs than Gilmore. It's splash plays, combined with being in a bigger market that keep Gilmore out of the general public's discussions. Same reason Peters beat Darby for DROY.

was that before the Norman deal?

i would guess he wants to hit FA, if he wants the money.

Hope you are right Bandit, love to lock him up.

They're actually pretty close with Gilmore. Both sides get along well and are on the same page as far as expectations. They've just got to inch a little closer together and this should be done sooner rather than later. I think everybody involved would be stunned if it didn't work out.

that's prob the way it works out as you can't pay both of them what they can get elsewhere.. i truly believe gilmore is gone, not for lack of trying... someone will pay him Revis $$

They're actually pretty close with Gilmore. Both sides get along well and are on the same page as far as expectations. They've just got to inch a little closer together and this should be done sooner rather than later. I think everybody involved would be stunned if it didn't work out.

thanks for the calming report.

I have already been preparing for his exit since he was drafted. Thats how the Old Bills did business.

These last two years have given me hope that mindset has changed. and more recently i think i might believe it true !

Even Revis is not Revis island anymore

More like Revis Sand Bar, and the tide is coming in. Time conquers all.....

He'll be 31 next season. Prime time for QB's. Up there for CB's. Not over the hill by any means, but......

More like Revis Sand Bar, and the tide is coming in. Time conquers all.....

He'll be 31 next season. Prime time for QB's. Up there for CB's. Not over the hill by any means, but......

well he did have that injury, and he is a smart cookie.. But time waits for no man

I'm just afraid of him wanting Norman money.

I don't see that happening

Whether it's fair or not, Norman has a pro bowl under his belt and Gilmore doesn't.

I think he slots in between Peterson/Sherman and Janoris Jenkins, so right around $13.5M AAV