Bills Working on extensions for Gilmore & Maybe Tyrod

I see the "brittle" issue as legit. I also see the Bills have used gilmore as a PR/advertising "shutdown corner" for several years. Problem is, I haven't see much of that behavior on the field. He is not a Patrick Peterson or Richard Sherman. He might yet be, but not yet.......so, my view, the contract offer should be incentive laden......which reduces that hit if he doesn't perform. Frankly, I think the Bills have believed their own PR a little to much. I see a lot of parallels here to the Nate Clements situation a few years ago....Nate was B grade CB....and got megabucks...elsewhere. In retrospect, it was a good call to let him got to the 49's (I think) He finished in Cince if I recall correctly. Anyhow, Gilmore has not yet done the all pro thing....he is a very good CB...but hasn't shown A player status yet imho. He wants A player cash......I hope Whaley can sort this out and limit what they pay to what is justified based on performance. Rex, of course, wants all the D he can get to resurect his reputation as a D genius, so he won't mind overpaying. And, if it comes down to getting one only, I want TT...not Gilmore!!!

You have a hell of a writeup. Was nodding my head all the way until the end. I would say clements was a slightly better cb. But as much as im a gilmore critic. If i had 1 13 mil contact. It would go to gilmore

Sherman and Peterson have more INTs than Gilmore. It's splash plays, combined with being in a bigger market that keep Gilmore out of the general public's discussions. Same reason Peters beat Darby for DROY.

You are completely correct. Its even the threat of a splash play that will get you into that category. I honestly dont think interceptions when the ball is thrown his way. I dont think he takes over a game. and as a top 10 pick. There should be whispers about you. People who make the claim that its becauae we are small market. I bet the nation knows who 2013 - 2014 Mario Williams is. I bet Lesean was a probowler Incognito Dareus K Will pro bowler. Even Tyrod made it. In 5 years. You have to have made a probowl ATLEAST to be considered elite. Yeah Probowl is was voted by the fans... lets look at the players... where did gilmore find himself on the top 100, voted by the players? He is NOT elite. Solid, even a necessity given his experience in the league. But, lets not make him something he isnt.

I just read that the Bills now have north of $14mil in cap space. That does not include rookie deals I believe, so they will eat some of that up.

Theoretically if the Bills could work out a new deal for Gilmore how much more space would they free up?

I know Bandit seems to be the best at this stuff. Take it we sign Gilmore to a top 5 corner deal.

Wouldnt that increase the cap hit? He is on for 11 now and if we paid him 13 or 14... unless we pushed the majority of it to next year

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No he was a replacement and played horribly

Couldnt find your rose colored glasses that sunday night huh

Damn it, you made me agree with Buffalo Barbarian. I will never forgive you for this.

TT's pro bowl appearance means nothing. They mean nothing in general, but as a replacement it means even less

I did it too. But when hes right hes right

-kudos barbarian

I don't get this at all. How would it benefit the Bills to "bump him up this year" without it being part of a long term deal? And how would that be appreciated across the locker room?

It seems to me it would send discontent across the locker room for every player who is under contract at less than they think they're worth on the open market. Everyone currently under contract would expect to be "bumped up" as a friendly 'lil gesture, without any new committment on the players part.

Well, here's how Glenn Parker looks at it, maybe that will help your understanding: http://bills.buffalo...rice-was-right/

“That’s the dirty secret that fans hate,” Parker said. “They love one side, but they hate the other. If you sign a contract, it’s the value at the time of the contract. If I play less than the value of the contract, I get cut. If I exceeded the value of the contract, I should be able to hold out and get more money. It’s Economics 101.”

We're not going to renegotiate rookie contracts like Watkins and Darby because the economic model is that once you prove yourself in the NFL, your big payday is that second contract. Veterans would realize renegotiating rookie contracts shrinks the cash pool available to them. TT is not on a rookie contract, if he has far exceeded the value of his contract then there's a legit argument to renegotiate.

Please add me to the list who doesn't get all the Gilmore-love from OBD. He has some very good plays but plenty of bad ones too and hasn't stayed healthy. I just don't see him as a truly elite corner they should be spending a fortune on. Honestly by the end of the season, wasn't Darby already better?

It is good to have a guy with size who can cover, but I'm worried they are going to handcuff themselves with the cap treating him like he's top 10 at an expensive position.

I'd rather see them spend that money on TT - he's not a 100% sure thing either, but he may turn out to be over this next year, and the importance of a real QB >>>>> CB

Please add me to the list who doesn't get all the Gilmore-love from OBD. He has some very good plays but plenty of bad ones too and hasn't stayed healthy. I just don't see him as a truly elite corner they should be spending a fortune on. Honestly by the end of the season, wasn't Darby already better?

It is good to have a guy with size who can cover, but I'm worried they are going to handcuff themselves with the cap treating him like he's top 10 at an expensive position.

I'd rather see them spend that money on TT - he's not a 100% sure thing either, but he may turn out to be over this next year, and the importance of a real QB >>>>> CB

I'd like to see the "plenty of bad plays".

He's a CB. CBs get beat sometimes.

More often than not, you want them to go unnoticed, which is usually what he does.

Darby did not play all that well after around game 11. He himself admitted that he hit the rookie wall.

My biggest gripe with Gilmore is his tackling technique; he puts himself in position to get injured far too often by leading with his shoulder rather than wrapping a guy up. If I were a secondary coach I'd pay Antoine Winfield to come in an put on a tackling clinic for DBs. I hope Ed Reed can get some of this across as well.

Well, here's how Glenn Parker looks at it, maybe that will help your understanding: http://bills.buffalo...rice-was-right/

“That’s the dirty secret that fans hate,” Parker said. “They love one side, but they hate the other. If you sign a contract, it’s the value at the time of the contract. If I play less than the value of the contract, I get cut. If I exceeded the value of the contract, I should be able to hold out and get more money. It’s Economics 101.”

We're not going to renegotiate rookie contracts like Watkins and Darby because the economic model is that once you prove yourself in the NFL, your big payday is that second contract. Veterans would realize renegotiating rookie contracts shrinks the cash pool available to them. TT is not on a rookie contract, if he has far exceeded the value of his contract then there's a legit argument to renegotiate.

TT hasn't proven himself. Much less to justify giving him a contract that makes him the 16th highest paid player in the NFL. I can't name a single player that got a large pay raise (much less to the 16th highest in the NFL) after 1 season played under a contract, rookie or veteran.

You have a hell of a writeup. Was nodding my head all the way until the end. I would say clements was a slightly better cb. But as much as im a gilmore critic. If i had 1 13 mil contact. It would go to gilmore

You are completely correct. Its even the threat of a splash play that will get you into that category. I honestly dont think interceptions when the ball is thrown his way. I dont think he takes over a game. and as a top 10 pick. There should be whispers about you. People who make the claim that its becauae we are small market. I bet the nation knows who 2013 - 2014 Mario Williams is. I bet Lesean was a probowler Incognito Dareus K Will pro bowler. Even Tyrod made it. In 5 years. You have to have made a probowl ATLEAST to be considered elite. Yeah Probowl is was voted by the fans... lets look at the players... where did gilmore find himself on the top 100, voted by the players? He is NOT elite. Solid, even a necessity given his experience in the league. But, lets not make him something he isnt.

Wouldnt that increase the cap hit? He is on for 11 now and if we paid him 13 or 14... unless we pushed the majority of it to next year

I am guessing it depends on how the Bills would structure the deal. What does Whaley and Co value more? The Bills could bump up Gilmores hit this year and next(from what I read here the cap goes up next year and the Bills have room to spare next year already). This might provide them with more flexibility for other key signings in 2018 and 2019?

Darby is showing himself to be one of the best in the league. We can settle for top and mid tier CB. That is the way it works.

My biggest gripe with Gilmore is his tackling technique; he puts himself in position to get injured far too often by leading with his shoulder rather than wrapping a guy up. If I were a secondary coach I'd pay Antoine Winfield to come in an put on a tackling clinic for DBs. I hope Ed Reed can get some of this across as well.

I'll say one thing though about some of our new LBs and DLinemen... they wrap 'em up and knock 'em down! I've never been a fan of the pinball "tackle" that so many DBs use. It seems that about 1/3 of the time the receiver gets bounced forward for additional yards. :thumbdown:

Darby did not play all that well after around game 11. He himself admitted that he hit the rookie wall.

Very true.

Once Gilmore went out, teams started lining up their #1 WR on Darby's side more often, so as not to give up half the field.

Darby still did alright, but when faced with tougher matchups more consistently--combined with the "rookie wall"--his play definitely declined.

Gilmore is already one of the best corners in the NFL right now and he's not even in his prime yet. He's going to get his money.

The Bills can afford to wait to see how Tyrod performs this season before rewarding him with a new contract. That is the prudent approach.

I don't understand how people can watch the Giants game from this past season and still not understand how good Gilmore is.

Odell Beckham terrorized the league--again in 2015. From weeks 1-16, he scored a TD OR topped 100 yards in 12 of 15 games. He topped 100 AND scored in 7 of those games. The 3 games in which he didn't top either mark? Twice against Dallas (Brandon Carr) and Buffalo (Gilmore.) Carr allowed 5 for 44 in week 1 and 4 for 35 in week 7. Gilmore allowed 5 for 38 in week 4. Not only that, but Beckham was so frustrated by Gilmore that he was throwing punches by the end of the game. The kid is good. Period. He shut down the WR that everyone, fans and media alike, drools over.

Edited by JM57

@sn_nfl

Ch8a-qYXAAAQQAv.jpg
Give the defense more Rex appeal. It’s clear that Jim Schwartz’s leftover base 4-3 personnel didn’t mesh with Rex Ryan’s hybrid scheme, including Mario Williams and Nigel Bradham. So he went out to draft his type of guys, including two new starters at end and weakside linebacker — Shaq Lawson and Reggie Ragland. Ryan needs to get his front seven up to speed after it struggled both rushing the passer and stopping the run in his first year.

Lock up Stephon Gilmore. The Bills took care of left tackle Cordy Glenn a few days after the draft, so now they can turn their attention to make sure their best cornerback gets a long-term deal ahead before he becomes a free agent in 2017.

Keep an open mind at quarterback. Tyrod Taylor is only under contract through 2016, and the lack of action toward a new deal is an indication the Bills aren’t completely sold on him as a long-term starter. To that end, they can’t afford to lag with their development of rookie fourth-rounder Cardale Jones. Taylor also had some durability issues last season because he absorbed some wear as a runner.