Thoughts on Georgia's OLB Leonard Floyd at #19?

I don't think Floyd is the guy they portray him as. He's a bit light for his frame, has trouble getting off of blocks, and relies on his athleticism because he lacks the strength others possess. That may have worked in college, but it won't in the NFL. 2nd? Maybe. #19? No. Just my 2.

I don't think Floyd is the guy they portray him as. He's a bit light for his frame, has trouble getting off of blocks, and relies on his athleticism because he lacks the strength others possess. That may have worked in college, but it won't in the NFL. 2nd? Maybe. #19? No. Just my 2.

Yeah that's what I got too. I watched tape from the Auburn game and he had 2 sacks (1 was clean up of someone else). He didn't get too much pressure (usually just ran past the QB). In run support he had a couple of nice back side stops, but also lost the edge a couple of times. Throw on top of that the swing he took at someone and the PF that did get called in the 4th quarter for a drive continuing 1st down. I hesitate.

Jack of all trades master of none for me. Okay at rushing the passer, okay in run support, okay dropping into coverage but doesn't excell at anything. Share the concerns about him physically.

Situational player at the NFL level in my opinion. 2nd round talent that will get pushed up. The best fits for him (in my opinion) are Arizona and the Jets who run similar defences with lots of situational personnel groupings I could see him being effective in that scenario but not an every down contributor for my money.

Edited by GunnerBill

Would be nice to find a tall LB who can cover Gronk and Bennett somewhere in this draft.

They will probably line Gronk and Bennett up on opposite sides of the field so way will anyone be able to cover them both.

As for this guy, I don't know much but if the consensus is true why bother taking him in the 2nd? So Mel Kiper says we got a steal? Maybinot would have been a bad pick in the 5th as it turned out. Why repeat that mess in any round?

I'm not sure exactly where he fits, classic tweener type.

No doubt that he's a really good athlete, but his weight density isn't ideal for playing SLB. I don't particularly like him as a pass rusher either. Lacks the instincts to play ILB full time right now.

One of the players that Mockdraftable have him athletically similar to is Kyler Fackrell. If we're going to draft an athletic profile in need of refinement, why take Floyd in the 1st when Fackrell will likely be there in the 3rd? Too many questions about Floyd to take him at 19 for me.

I'm not sure exactly where he fits, classic tweener type.

No doubt that he's a really good athlete, but his weight density isn't ideal for playing SLB. I don't particularly like him as a pass rusher either. Lacks the instincts to play ILB full time right now.

One of the players that Mockdraftable have him athletically similar to is Kyler Fackrell. If we're going to draft an athletic profile in need of refinement, why take Floyd in the 1st when Fackrell will likely be there in the 3rd? Too many questions about Floyd to take him at 19 for me.

Agree on Floyd. Was looking for someone who knew more about Fackrell - what is your overall evaluation of him Blokestradamus? I'm going to try and find some clips of him today to watch.

Manny Lawson 2.0, no thanks

Actually, a young Manny Lawson is exactly what this team needs--a great athlete that can cover TEs and rush the passer when asked.

Unfortunately, Floyd doesn't compare well with Lawson IMO. Floyd is a classic athlete that wears football pads to me; I'm not a fan of him at 19 at all.

I'd much rather wait until round 2 and take a guy like Correa or Fackrell if they're still around, or even wait until the 3rd and take Floyd's teammate--Jordan Jenkins.

This is a good profile for Floyd from NFL.com. Pretty much sums up the consensus here.. Way too thin (even though he put on some lbs since the season) but seems to be a very well rounded athlete. I wouldn't take him in the first but obviously if he fell to us in the second I would be intrigued.

6'6". 244lbs

COMBINE RESULTS

40 YARD DASH: 4.60 SEC

VERTICAL JUMP: 39.5 INCH

BROAD JUMP: 127.0 INCH

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Unique combination of length and athleticism. Extremely rangy with great chase speed from sideline to sideline. Good change of direction for taller player. Long limbs and twitch to spring into a tackle from a mile away. If unblocked, will chase down line of scrimmage from backside and foil run plans. Elusive in open space dodging blockers and sifting through traffic in pursuit of the ball. Has the traits to be highly effective in man coverage. As an edge rusher, able to shoot out of the starting blocks and cover substantial ground with long second and third strides. Not a great bender, but has ankle flexion necessary to lean at 45-­degree angle and buzz inside the rush arc. Substantial pass rush potential with a variety of options to the quarterback. Pet move is upfield burst followed by jump­-cut inside tied with inside club. Able to dip and rip around the corner. Dangerous on T/E twists and blitzes underneath. Able to worm his way through the A-­gap as standup blitzer.

WEAKNESSES

All thin everything. Gangly frame produces marginal play strength. Built like a wide receiver and needs to live in a team cafeteria and weight room. Not an edge-­setter. Gets long arms into defender effectively, but struggles to gain extension. Loses fight for neutral zone at point of attack. Issues shedding blocks forces him into downfield tackler rather than backfield playmaker. Drag-­down tackler with little pop behind pads as a hitter. Must work to keep pad level lower on inside rush move.

NFL COMPARISON

Eli Harold

BOTTOM LINE

Floyd is painfully thin and will struggle to matchup with the strength of NFL players, but he is rangy in space, plays with a good motor and has traits as a pass rusher that would be a mistake to ignore. Floyd?s ability to cover close to five yards in three strides is rare for edge rushers. Add to that his inside counter and ability to play in space and you have a prospect who will be heavily scrutinized. Floyd?s lack of functionality could limit him to sub­-packages unless he proves he can add more beef to his frame.

Agree on Floyd. Was looking for someone who knew more about Fackrell - what is your overall evaluation of him Blokestradamus? I'm going to try and find some clips of him today to watch.

The tape I've watched on him is 2 years old so I don't feel qualified to give an evaluation. Rob Quinn has watched him though - http://buildingtheherd.com/scout-team/scouting-reports/kyler-fackrell-scouting-report-is-utah-state-edge-a-potential-buffalo-bills-target-in-2016-nfl-draft/

Haven't watched anything post ACL surgery myself. I know that he was a really good athlete before the injury.

The tape I've watched on him is 2 years old so I don't feel qualified to give an evaluation. Rob Quinn has watched him though - http://buildingtheherd.com/scout-team/scouting-reports/kyler-fackrell-scouting-report-is-utah-state-edge-a-potential-buffalo-bills-target-in-2016-nfl-draft/

Haven't watched anything post ACL surgery myself. I know that he was a really good athlete before the injury.

I'm a Fackrell guy for sure--I think he's a great fit as the Sam in Rex's scheme.

Would love to get him in round 2.

I'm with a lot of posters on this thread - No to Floyd at 19.

IMO, he's too lanky and thin. If he's getting eaten up by blocks some of the time in college, that will be all the time in the NFL.

Does it bother you that he turns 25 during his rookie year?

Not really--I think you're still anticipating him being a 2-contract guy, as he'll be 29 when his rookie contract expires.

For me, 25 is the break point to draft a guy...any older and you're talking about having to decide whether or not to give a guy his first big-money contract at 30 (assuming he's worth re-signing, which you universally hope your 2nd round pick will be IMO).

In the very least, it doesn't bother me enough to move him behind the remainder of EDGE guys in his tier like Correa, Floyd, Calhoun, & Jenkins.

I don't know a lot about him either. I've heard good things, but the "tweener" aspect scares me. We need a surefire pick at #19 (or as close to it as you can get in the draft). At 19 one (or more) of the following players may be available. I'd take one of them:

Eli Apple (CB).

Mackenzie Alexander (CB)

Either one can play this year, as well as provide insurance for Gilmore potentially leaving.

Ogbah (DE-OK State). Mario's replacement. Dodd is still available, but Ogbah has a longer track record of production.

Decker (OT-Oh. State).

Conckin (OT-Mich State).

While we need a pass rusher, we also need to upgrade the T position in a big way. Our entire offense depends on a solid line that can help the run game. More pass rushers are likely available in the 2nd round. Tackle is not a terrible idea.

Lee (OLB--Oh State)