Wondering why we are not looking at NT's

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we'd draft a NT.

I don't get the freak out over drafting one. They tend to be undervalued so I'm sure that they could get a starter in rounds 2-4.

They also might want to get someone to be a 5 tech and use Dareus at a 1 technique NT like Ngata.

I would much rather see a stud linebacker.

Because we'd rather put a DT from a 4-3 whose a double digit sack guy at DT in a 4-3 at nose so he can go from ten sacks to two. It's a brilliant strategy that only the most astute football mind could comprehend.

We run a base defense less than 50 % of the time. Having kyle back will free up Dareus.

Ace in the hole is Dean Edwards. Bring him in for 34DT 43DT or 43DE.

You need a NT in rexs system. But its.noT easy to find d one

Dee I agree with Boyst on this

I am for anything that moves Marcel and his 100 million contract out of the NT position to the 5 tech and have him making plays....not tieing up blockers

I feel like a true NT is absolutely needed....but there are several good candidates coming out of the draft.

Rob Ryan will turn things around.

True or not the hiring signifies the organization is all in. As does Mario and Nigel's departure.

The real question here should be is Rex really good enough at the nuances of player selection to know what he needs and/or what to ask for?? (Not evident by the Jets defensive glide path from start to finish of his tenure there). And secondly if he doesn't ask for a big space eater NT, does Whaley prompt the discussion and deliver one for him?

I give Whaley Credit for improving the overall talent level of the defense since he stepped formally into the role, but can he evaluate talent relative to Rex's system and emphasize the right traits and positions?

With Kyle Williams restructure, we have $ 7.5 mil for the cap. That is about 4.5-5 mil for the draft balancing we have 8 picks vs. 7, and we are picking mid round. You need about $3 mil for emergencies, so unless someone else takes a pay cut, we cut someone(s), or find another to restructure, we have nothing to bring in any free agents. Not at this time. We'll probably grab some undrafted free agents on the cheap, and see if Whaley finds 1-2 gems.

That's why I'm not hyped about any of these free agents still on the market. Basically, anyone we take means we cut a person who makes the same as we offer. So if you say we should sign this guy, follow it with, I'll cut this guy in his place after you look at Spotrac, and se what is his salary as we're still paying anyone's dead money.

A lot of you guys are smarter than me so maybe you guys see a guy worth it worth the same a as guy you want to cut. I'm not being sarcastic. I'm genuinely interested in thoughtful opinions about trade offs.

I'm not sure that they won't sign a NT.

They very well may be in communication with Knighton, Cam Thomas, etc.

I also think it's not prudent to spend serious money or a high draft pick on a nose tackle; they are far more easily found than that.

For example, the guys that look like ideal 0-techs from the draft include the likes of DJ Reader and Vincent Valentine, both of whom will most likely be available on Day 3.

you and that DJ Reader :thumbsup:

i think that is agreat spot to pick one up. and after reading up some more. A fine person to play that role

You don't think Knighton is a lesser talent than the 1st round DL studs in this class?

I think that taking a guy you have rated lower based on need is a mistake.

you dont take a rotational DT/ NT in the first round anyways.

Pot roast would be a sweet pick up to man the a/b gap or drive the center

Edited by 3rdand12

Because we'd rather put a DT from a 4-3 whose a double digit sack guy at DT in a 4-3 at nose so he can go from ten sacks to two. It's a brilliant strategy that only the most astute football mind could comprehend.

This! LOL theres a lot of good Lbs in the draft, take one in the 1st and a DT/NT in the 2nd or 3rd to free up Dareus and let Marcell go ham on the QBs this season.

I think we'd draft a NT.

I don't get the freak out over drafting one. They tend to be undervalued so I'm sure that they could get a starter in rounds 2-4.

They also might want to get someone to be a 5 tech and use Dareus at a 1 technique NT like Ngata.

Bingo.

In the games our defense performed best in the latter half of the year, MD was playing a fraction of the snaps at the 0 than he was earlier in the year. To run RR's version of a 34 front, you don't need to have a guy on the nose. Like the need for teams to have LBs that can play all three downs, teams need DLmen that can do the same and in multiple positions. The prototypical behemoth at the nose is ineffective in a league that is ever so increasingly pass happy, regardless of game situation.

We have the luxury of taking the best player available, especially on defense.

GO BILLS!!!

I would have thought Terrance Knighton would have been in for a visit by now?

He's not that good at dropping into coverage would be my guess.

Wait...drafting guys that fit the system that the head coach runs would be a disaster?

That one needs to be explained.

You don't want to give the guy the pieces he says he needs, and then you're going to condemn him to failure.

Do you not see the total and complete failure in that line of logic?

You may not like that he's the head coach--that's fine. To say that the team shouldn't acquire guys that can play his system amounts to the team shooting itself in the foot.

I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but the sentence prior to that statement pretty much explained the op's position( just read a little).

I love how everyone takes Rex Ryan's quote about being "all in" and assume he means to run his specific defense. What he actually said was all in to play Buffalo Bills defense. What does that mean? The last couple of games last year, he took input from the players themselves turned that dominant defensive line loose to get after the QB. It payed off. Not only that, but the communication on the back end was better too.

Don't be so quick to think that our defense needs a true nose tackle. I am more inclined to believe that the Bills are looking for a DE and possibly a replacement for when Kyle Williams retires. I have been seeing a lot of comments about freeing up Dareus and we do need to let him get involved in collapsing the pocket. That is what he loves doing, but if you put Kyle next to him or pick up one of the promising DTs in the draft, that would go a long way toward freeing him up.

I can see all of the hand wringing over Nose Tackle and how everyone is going to react when we don't draft one. Things may not play out that way at all. There's going to be a lot of surprised people come draft week.

He's not that good at dropping into coverage would be my guess.

I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but the sentence prior to that statement pretty much explained the op's position( just read a little).

Thanks for the snark

I read it, and thought it was remarkably contradictory, hence my post (read a little)

I think we'd draft a NT.

I am with you up to the stud LB preference. I don't see a good LB option that will be available to the Bills at pick 19. Darron Lee and Leonard Floyd look to be under powered options and Reggie Ragland looks like a run-down player only - and a run down player who was out lifted by several DBs at the combine. I am not saying that these LBs might not become ok starters, but I'm not seeing dominant players here. I am seeing some potentially very good DTs that could be available at the 19th pick.

Of the LBs, I like Floyd the least - I can remember many of these tall lanky supposed speed rushers that would provide defenses a lot of flexibility who never panned out - think Maybin, Barkeveous Mingo, Deon Jordan etc. I could see Ragland being a valuable run stopper and, possibly, Lee being a good coverage LB, but I'd rather take spend a high pick on a solid big-man on the DL like Jarren Reed, A'shawn Robinson, Sheldon Rankins, etc

Edited by OldTimer1960

Dareus will not play a 5-tech. He'll play the 3-tech DT in both the 4-3 'over' and 'under' fronts, and in a straight 4-3 front. asking him to play the closed side in either the under or over is wasting his ability to burst and disrupt the interior, and we have DEs on the roster who are better suited to rush/contain the edge against OTs. Darues will once again wreak havoc this year if the Barnes kid can be effective at the NT - or another big body is added to fill that spot. i'm thinking Kyle may be given chance to take the spot - he's bit light, but if his injury hasn't slowed him down, he could do well as an over/under 1-gap NT. otherwise,.he's probably going to get less reps in 2016 - spelling Dareus as the 3-tech, or joining him in traditional 4 DL beefy fronts. Wynn can definately handle the strong (closed) side DE spot if his knee's in good shape, but unless Whaley's got something cooking over there - it might be wise to make a modest offer to Carrington. Hughes is our open (weak) side DE/LB, to complete the front.

Edited by BackInDaDay