Wondering why we are not looking at NT's

was knighton that bad for the skins or was their entire def just that bad? if we have marcel and kyle on either side would he look better? I think the only guy i can name on the skins defense is kerrigan.

For whatever it's worth, I think that's an excellent point. On the OL side, Wood and Glenn sure looked a lot better with Cog in between them.

When it's a critical position and we don't have a clear starter on the team, I personally like Plan A and Plan B: draft someone with promise AND sign a competent vet

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how everyone takes Rex Ryan's quote about being "all in" and assume he means to run his specific defense. What he actually said was all in to play Buffalo Bills defense. What does that mean? The last couple of games last year, he took input from the players themselves turned that dominant defensive line loose to get after the QB. It payed off. Not only that, but the communication on the back end was better too.

Don't be so quick to think that our defense needs a true nose tackle. I am more inclined to believe that the Bills are looking for a DE and possibly a replacement for when Kyle Williams retires. I have been seeing a lot of comments about freeing up Dareus and we do need to let him get involved in collapsing the pocket. That is what he loves doing, but if you put Kyle next to him or pick up one of the promising DTs in the draft, that would go a long way toward freeing him up.

I can see all of the hand wringing over Nose Tackle and how everyone is going to react when we don't draft one. Things may not play out that way at all. There's going to be a lot of surprised people come draft week.

oh they will draft one. or fa on the cheap. but don expect a splash for a rotational player

Dareus will not play a 5-tech. He'll play the 3-tech DT in both the 4-3 'over' and 'under' fronts, and in a straight 4-3 front. asking him to play the closed side in either the under or over is wasting his ability to burst and disrupt the interior, and we have DEs on the roster who are better suited to rush/contain the edge against OTs. Darues will once again wreak havoc this year if the Barnes kid can be effective at the NT - or another big body is added to fill that spot. i'm thinking Kyle may be given chance to take the spot - he's bit light, but if his injury hasn't slowed him down, he could do well as an over/under 1-gap NT. otherwise,.he's probably going to get less reps in 2016 - spelling Dareus as the 3-tech, or joining him in traditional 4 DL beefy fronts. Wynn can definately handle the strong (closed) side DE spot if his knee's in good shape, but unless Whaley's got something cooking over there - it might be wise to make a modest offer to Carrington. Hughes is our open (weak) side DE/LB, to complete the front.

Carrington has value if healthy.

No nothing about Barnes honestly

For whatever it's worth, I think that's an excellent point. On the OL side, Wood and Glenn sure looked a lot better with Cog in between them.

When it's a critical position and we don't have a clear starter on the team, I personally like Plan A and Plan B: draft someone with promise AND sign a competent vet

yeppers! Knighton is winding down, but for a season he should be an immovable force

Edited by 3rdand12

I think regardless of how good the Bills management think the draft class is at that position they should have a veteran option in case the players they want don't fall and for depth. Seems like a fairly cheap vet NT that is a one dimensional run stuffer could be had for what the Bills need.

Notice the word JUST.

Drafting players that JUST fit Rex's system would be a disaster.

So if Rex fails and is fired and we have to switch schemes, we aren't stuck with guys that aren't restricted to the previous regimes scheme.

Signing cheap veteran guys that fit and understand what he wants is the more logical solution as opposed to drafting to fill needs in Rex's system when the guy could be on his way out the door in a year....Unfortunately we have little cap room to reconstruct a once very good defense that our coach couldn't work with.

You would prefer Rex to not draft good fits so if we get a new coach, he can implement his own scheme instead of keeping the prior staff's scheme? What if we go all in on D and turn that side of the ball around to be a top 10 D again, but the offense regresses? Edited by Tenhigh

thank you! esp if we grab another d tackle that can rush like the ole miss kid. we need a nice space eater in there to just take on the center and not move.

The Bills have zero cap space available at this point. Unless they can extend Gilmore or Glenn, they won't be signing anybody of consequence and all additions will need to come through the draft.

They have almost $7.5M available right now.

Even if they use it all right now (which they won't), they can clear the $5M they need to sign picks by extending Glenn and Gilmore.

The Bills have zero cap space available at this point. Unless they can extend Gilmore or Glenn, they won't be signing anybody of consequence and all additions will need to come through the draft.

Im not fully understanding why Cordy Glenn wasn't extended already. Its really the only failure by the Bills this offseason. Its possible they have little interest in free agency this year though. I have no problem with that.

Rex has had 3 primary NTs in his history:

Kelly Gregg, 6th round pick, practice squad on 2 teams before landing with ravens.

Sione Puoha, 3rd round pick, backup with jets for 4 years before he became regular starting NT with Jets.

Damon Harrison, undrafted, sat 1 year, then started every year until he left as free agent this off-season.

So I would imagine we will draft a guy in the later rounds, and roll with a combo of Barnes and Kyle Williams.

Rex has had 3 primary NTs in his history:

Kelly Gregg, 6th round pick, practice squad on 2 teams before landing with ravens.

Sione Puoha, 3rd round pick, backup with jets for 4 years before he became regular starting NT with Jets.

Damon Harrison, undrafted, sat 1 year, then started every year until he left as free agent this off-season.

So I would imagine we will draft a guy in the later rounds, and roll with a combo of Barnes and Kyle Williams.

Indeed.

I'm betting on (as I've said a bajillion times and people are tired of seeing it) DJ Reader or Vincent Valentine.

Dareus will not play a 5-tech. He'll play the 3-tech DT in both the 4-3 'over' and 'under' fronts, and in a straight 4-3 front. asking him to play the closed side in either the under or over is wasting his ability to burst and disrupt the interior, and we have DEs on the roster who are better suited to rush/contain the edge against OTs. Darues will once again wreak havoc this year if the Barnes kid can be effective at the NT - or another big body is added to fill that spot. i'm thinking Kyle may be given chance to take the spot - he's bit light, but if his injury hasn't slowed him down, he could do well as an over/under 1-gap NT. otherwise,.he's probably going to get less reps in 2016 - spelling Dareus as the 3-tech, or joining him in traditional 4 DL beefy fronts. Wynn can definately handle the strong (closed) side DE spot if his knee's in good shape, but unless Whaley's got something cooking over there - it might be wise to make a modest offer to Carrington. Hughes is our open (weak) side DE/LB, to complete the front.

It is interesting that you dont mention 3-4 Defense when that is part of Rex Ryan's bread and butter

I think that Marcel will play the 5 tech at times and I think it actually will play to his strengths

But....until we actually see it on the field....who knows

I do agree that Wynn and possibly Carrington could play big spots on this defense....I just get this feeling that we are gonna draft a big body in a year where there are quality available with that 19th pick

What I would really like to do is trade down and try to get Vernon Butler.....and another 2nd round pick.....there is gonna be quality players in the 2nd round of this draft.

oh they will draft one. or fa on the cheap. but don expect a splash for a rotational player

Don't hold your breath. I really do believe that Rex Ryan is committed to letting the defensive linemen do what they do best. He tried a bunch of different things throughout the year and it wasn't until the last couple of games that he actually turned them loose. It was so effective that he couldn't possibly be thinking of screwing with it. He can call it 3-4 all he wants but it is most definitely not a traditional 3-4 with a big fatty at the nose.

The defensive line will be collapsing the pocket with strait up bull rushes and with stunts. They don't want t a big nose because he will likely not have agility that is needed. People have been undervaluing the importance of having a guy like Kyle Williams next to Dareus. Now will we draft a DT? Probably. But it is going to be a guy that can get into the backfield consistently and who has the agility to run stunts and pulls. If they draft a DT it is going to be a clone of Dareus or Kyle. Both can get off the snap in a hurry and wreak havoc. Frankly, I don't want a big lumbering slow NT.

Edited by Rockinon

Don't hold your breath. I really do believe that Rex Ryan is committed to letting the defensive linemen do what they do best. He tried a bunch of different things throughout the year and it wasn't until the last couple of games that he actually turned them loose. It was so effective that he couldn't possibly be thinking of screwing with it. He can call it 3-4 all he wants but it is most definitely not a traditional 3-4 with a big fatty at the nose.

The defensive line will be collapsing the pocket with strait up bull rushes and with stunts. They don't want t a big nose because he will likely not have agility that is needed. People have been undervaluing the importance of having a guy like Kyle Williams next to Dareus. Now will we draft a DT? Probably. But it is going to be a guy that can get into the backfield consistently and who has the agility to run stunts and pulls. If they draft a DT it is going to be a clone of Dareus or Kyle. Both can get off the snap in a hurry and wreak havoc. Frankly, I don't want a big lumbering slow NT.

Well we shall see. every team needs a fat kid who can hold the line !

Kyle and Dareus are disruptive players for sure. Can Corbin or this guy Barnes just run stuff? i dont know.

I feel pretty strongly that Whaley will draft some immovable object if he can later in the draft. If he can drive the LOS backwards all the better!!

I get where you are coming from and I once thought that was how Rex was going to do business. Not sure about that now.

yeppers! Knighton is winding down, but for a season he should be an immovable force

He was gassed after being on the field for two consecutive plays. The only thing immovable about him is his gargantuan ass. What good is plugging the middle when after a play or two you are gasping for air so you won't collapse from exhaustion.

He was gassed after being on the field for two consecutive plays. The only thing immovable about him is his gargantuan ass. What good is plugging the middle when after a play or two you are gasping for air so you won't collapse from exhaustion.

immovable object. Which game were you watching ?

You don't want to give the guy the pieces he says he needs, and then you're going to condemn him to failure.

Do you not see the total and complete failure in that line of logic?

He will condemn to failure no matter WHAT happens so it makes no difference, right?