Nigel Bradham's comments about Rex Ryan's defense

3 of front 4 in pro bowl. 4th overall defense in the NFL pts yards etc... Forced career worst performance from Rodgers. Led NFL in sacks. Unquestioned strength of a 9-7 team with a poor offense.

Dominant may be a stretch, but it's not completely unfounded.

Dominant defense are superior at all three levels. We were superior in one, our DL. We had our moments, but at no time did I ever have the sense we could stop a team whenever we had to. They were good, not dominant.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's is a whole bunch of assumptions rolled into one post. I can make some as well, here goes; Rex taught the defense his scheme during training camp and saw there was some "push-back" or reluctance of some players to 'get into" the new scheme. Rex knowing that the defense was stout the last 2 years under Pettine and Schwartz decides to do a mix between his own scheme and that of the Pettine/Schwartz scheme to mollify players. Rex understands that even though his scheme has proven successful, so has Pettine and Schwartz's recent schemes as well. The season starts and our defense for the beginning part of the year is "ok". Rex tries to install a little more of his scheme to the mixed scheme they are running to improve the defense, but it makes it worse. He backs off a bit and uses a little more of the prior regime's scheme and it doesn't seem to help as well. As the season progresses and the clearer the picture becomes to who can and/or will do the Rex scheme becomes apparent, as well as our playoff hopes are finalized. Rex finally goes "all in" on his own scheme the last 2 games and our defense plays some great ball. Thinking about the season in retrospect, Rex realizes that he should have stuck with his full out scheme from the first game and endeavors to not only bring the current players up to full speed on the scheme but also bring in new players, as well as drop existing players, to solidify that scheme for the upcoming season.

Sounds like anything but solid coaching to me. "Well, I tried my deal and it wasn't working so I tried another coaches' approach and that didn't work so...". We had our best chance in 30 yrs to make the playoffs and he screwed it up. We are not going this year either,now 31 yrs and counting.

Dominant defense are superior at all three levels. We were superior in one, our DL. We had our moments, but at no time did I ever have the sense we could stop a team whenever we had to. They were good, not dominant.

GO BILLS!!!

Superior in one? OK the dline accounted for a lot of sacks, curious though, who had all those int's for us. The dline!? Weren't we top 5 in int's?

GO BILLS!!!

We need to pin this. The revisionism on the 2014 defense is astonishing at times. It nearly rivals how we remember the 2013 defense that couldn't stop anything when it mattered.

The 2013 defense slipped in its 10th ranking thanks in large part to the statistical anomaly they posted at home against Miami in week 16 (only allowed 100 yards of total offense, posted a shut out, sacked Tanny 7 times). Then the Patriots ran for more than 260 yards the following week.

Since he was only here one season, probably he shouldn't have used the word historically, but 23 out of 32 is the bottom 25%. That would be like calling a "D" student a good student.

I think a number of responses here called it right, Rex felt he could teach his scheme to the current players and make things better. That didn't work. It's been stated many places that one of the biggest detractors to this was Mario, I'd be very surprised if he didn't cause many more issues in the locker room over this than has even leaked out. What's been stated publicly may only be the tip of the iceberg. Why do i think that? The fact that the #1 overall pick who had some good years in Houston (maybe not warranting the #1 overall pick but still good) was let go to become a FA is telling. In hind sight we should have ran for the hills. And that could be a lesson, when someone who's an amazing talent is a FA, unless the former team had incredibly bad salary cap issues, there's a reason for it.

They gave up 4.4ypc (23rd in the league that season)

Stellar? No. Historically bad? Come on....

We need to pin this. The revisionism on the 2014 defense is astonishing at times. It nearly rivals how we remember the 2013 defense that couldn't stop anything when it mattered.

The 2013 defense slipped in its 10th ranking thanks in large part to the statistical anomaly they posted at home against Miami in week 16 (only allowed 100 yards of total offense, posted a shut out, sacked Tanny 7 times). Then the Patriots ran for more than 260 yards the following week.

Is it any more astonishing than the other revisionism on the '14 defense?

Superior in one? OK the dline accounted for a lot of sacks, curious though, who had all those int's for us. The dline!? Weren't we top 5 in int's?

If you want to make it all about stats, be my guest. I don't believe for a minute we had a great back seven because we garnered a bunch of INTs. I would attribute most of those INTs to the great pressure our superior front four generated. Our back seven was not so dominant so much as they were the beneficiaries of great play up front. I'm not saying they sucked, but they weren't superior at all three levels. I need that level of superiority before I can say they were dominant. Never had the sense that we could stop a team whenever we wanted to.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I always get that sense watching the Bills.

However, they did it on the first play of the Packets potential game winning drive in week 15 of the 2014 season. Mario "the whipping boy" Williams sacked Rodgers for a Safety with just under two minutes left to play to essentially seal the game.

The defense wasn't dominant. It was very good and a lot better then the one we fielded last season.

I'm not sure what the argument is here...

My argument is with Bradham's characterization of the defense as dominant as he said in the linked article. Not sure what anyone else is arguing. I say the use of the word dominant is totally misplaced when describing our defense.

People can cite single plays here and there as a testament to dominance all they want. Show me entire games where our defense was dominant and then show me the amount of entire games in the season they delivered that same dominance.

No matter how you slice, we haven't had a play in, play out; game in, game out dominant defense in years.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

At this point, the only issue that matters is whether Whaley and the Pegulas were promised by Rex that he could run his defense with the existing personnel, nor not. If Rex (or Whaley) lied to Terry and Kim (or simply got it wrong), they're in serious trouble. Alternatively, it's possible that Rex explained that there would need to be a year or two of transition and that new defensive personnel would be needed. Somehow I doubt that, but it's a possibility.

My speculation is that Rex believed he could run his defense with the existing personnel and specifically promised as much during the interview process. I highly doubt the Pegulas would've signed up for a 2-3 year rebuild of a unit that was already a strength.

And if I'm right, Rex is on a VERY short leash, although Whaley's may be shorter.

The reality is that like 90%+ of coaches in the NFL are "scheme guys." They have their pet scheme and they are going to run it.

That's the way it is with Rex, as it was with Schwartz, as it was with Pettine, as it was with Jauron, etc.

Either you hire a guy to run a scheme that largely fits your personnel, or you change your personnel.

I love the idea behind being multiple and molding your scheme to your players-- but that doesn't seem to ever work in practice. I hope that Whaley and the Pegulas appreciate that now, if they didn't when they hired Rex.

As good as our defense was under Schwartz, I would hardly classify it as "dominant." We haven't had a dominant defense in years. Not since the days of Phat Pat.

We were good in a couple nice statistical areas, but let's reserve the term "dominant" for defenses that really merit the title.

GO BILLS!!!

I half agree but they were pretty damn dominant in a handful of games that year. And they were good in virtually all of the key statistical areas. They were 4th in scoring, 4th overall (yards), 1st in sacks and I believe 1st in turnovers. I hear what you're saying but man, the regression to this past season was startling. This is really just a matter of semantics. If your point is that they weren't the 2015 Broncos, then yes, of course. Edited by metzelaars_lives

At this point, the only issue that matters is whether Whaley and the Pegulas were promised by Rex that he could run his defense with the existing personnel, nor not. If Rex (or Whaley) lied to Terry and Kim (or simply got it wrong), they're in serious trouble. Alternatively, it's possible that Rex explained that there would need to be a year or two of transition and that new defensive personnel would be needed. Somehow I doubt that, but it's a possibility.

My speculation is that Rex believed he could run his defense with the existing personnel and specifically promised as much during the interview process. I highly doubt the Pegulas would've signed up for a 2-3 year rebuild of a unit that was already a strength.

And if I'm right, Rex is on a VERY short leash, although Whaley's may be shorter.

i'm guessing Rex's time with the excited and impressionable new owners was spent effectively pitching his successes and excusing his failures - same as any presser he's ever given after his teams under-achieve... and i can understand the Pegula's excitement in signing him up. what i don't understand - and what concerns me - is that they seem to be agreeable to Ryan's plans of rebuilding a team, that many thought was very close to playoff caliber. the fact that the Pegulas are ok with Rex bringing his failed brother onto this staff, leads me to believe that the Pegulas need to hear a voice - stronger than Rex's.

here's why..

because for whatever reasons - the coaches failed the team.

regardless of the money involved in the pros, football will always be a team game that demands each players' commitment to excel in whatever's being asked of him. when players try and fail to commit to what's being taught - coaches can either recognize and adjust to them, or keep pushing them. in fairness to Rex's staff - both decisions will lead to uncertain outcomes - but in hindsight, we're able to clearly see where this staff led the team in 2015.. and how that direction now impacts the upcoming season.

i'd like to agree with the you about your 'short leash' speculation, but i think Rex has a tight hold of the keys - and will leave Whaley on the side of the road (as he did Tannenbaum in NYC) before crashing.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not sure how often that exists in the NFL these days. We were by far among the best of the year even if not the generational type.... I think better than just good

If Rex's defense is so complicated that it takes multiple years to understand and excel in it, and he is too dumb too realize this, than he should be fired sooner rather than later. In this era of the salary cap and f/a where there is constantly player turnover, guys need to be able to step into a defense and play well right away, not sign and then wait three years to see if you can pass Rex's Rhodes Scholar Exam.

IMO Rex is the Bill's HC because PT Barnum I mean PT Brandon and the Pegula's were hypnotized by Rex's personality. Will never know, but I wish I knew exactly how much say Whaley had in the hiring of this buffoon?

If Rex's defense is so complicated that it takes multiple years to understand and excel in it, and he is too dumb too realize this, than he should be fired sooner rather than later. In this era of the salary cap and f/a where there is constantly player turnover, guys need to be able to step into a defense and play well right away, not sign and then wait three years to see if you can pass Rex's Rhodes Scholar Exam.

IMO Rex is the Bill's HC because PT Barnum I mean PT Brandon and the Pegula's were hypnotized by Rex's personality. Will never know, but I wish I knew exactly how much say Whaley had in the hiring of this buffoon?

Very well put

Plus how many years to draft the right players to fit Rex's system.

Scheme change and personnel change always happen when there's anew regime. Nobody expected this when DouG Marrone opted out. Sucks but it's an unfortunate process that needs to play itself out. The d will get better.

Brandon and the Pegulas were hoodwinked by a charlatan. This is probably already recognized in the halls at One Bills Drive. They had to retain Rex in order to save face. And in a stroke of genius, they lashed Whaley to Rex with an extension. If 2016 is as disappointing as 2015 was, Rex no longer has the life-preserver that he had with the NYJ, i.e. throwing an executive (Tannenbaum, Idzik) under the bus as the "problem". His first year here, a fall guy was easily identified and sacrificed (M.Williams); next year it will not be so easy for Huckster Rex. If things go awry, and Whaley is jettisoned, me thinks it won't just be the executive that takes the fall- blowhard Rex is going right out the door with him.

Brandon and the Pegulas were hoodwinked by a charlatan. This is probably already recognized in the halls at One Bills Drive. They had to retain Rex in order to save face. And in a stroke of genius, they lashed Whaley to Rex with an extension. If 2016 is as disappointing as 2015 was, Rex no longer has the life-preserver that he had with the NYJ, i.e. throwing an executive (Tannenbaum, Idzik) under the bus as the "problem". His first year here, a fall guy was easily identified and sacrificed (M.Williams); next year it will not be so easy for Huckster Rex. If things go awry, and Whaley is jettisoned, me thinks it won't just be the executive that takes the fall- blowhard Rex is going right out the door with him.

Dumbass Rex! I'll bet all of the players hate him and know he's a total fraud. :rolleyes:

@buffalobills

"Rex had a lot to do with it. I love playing for him." How Rex influenced Incognito's deal: http://bufbills.co/IOuVc2

CdJEvlKUsAEv48v.jpg

As good as our defense was under Schwartz, I would hardly classify it as "dominant." We haven't had a dominant defense in years. Not since the days of Phat Pat.

We were good in a couple nice statistical areas, but let's reserve the term "dominant" for defenses that really merit the title.

GO BILLS!!!

Oh, I dunno. I'd say #1 in the entire NFL in sacks, and hurries is pretty dominate.

I voiced that concern when we hired Schwartz and in the discussions comparing Rex, Schwartz, pettine... Here's the problem though: we had that extra talent and locked them up for a multi-year window

Schematically we could've ride what was on the roster while transitioning towards a system less reliant on 4 rushers

And that said, Rex had had plenty of premium star players when his defense has succeeded. It's not just a couple of star corners and 9 guys

I apologize if I sounded like you only need 2 corners in Rex's D. I understand you need good talent in any scheme at as many positions possible. I also agree with the talent that was on the roster being suited for the 4-3. Rex even said he was trying to do what you suggested and he didn't get the job done. Now Rex wants to implement his scheme 100%. I am hopeful that the Bills will have the right amount of playmakers on each level to accomplish this come opening day. I also hope they will all have bought into it and prepared for it.

I apologize if I sounded like you only need 2 corners in Rex's D. I understand you need good talent in any scheme at as many positions possible. I also agree with the talent that was on the roster being suited for the 4-3. Rex even said he was trying to do what you suggested and he didn't get the job done. Now Rex wants to implement his scheme 100%. I am hopeful that the Bills will have the right amount of playmakers on each level to accomplish this come opening day. I also hope they will all have bought into it and prepared for it.

No worries- just think it's worth noting that he's had Ray Lewis/Ed reed in his best stretch for instance (two all time greats at their positions (in addition to excellent players in Suggs and Scott and....) and at the jets stop he still had premium lineman and David Harris and brought Scott in addition to corners --- I'm guilty of falling into the "Rex's scheme hides lack of talent" trap at times too I think.

Dumbass Rex! I'll bet all of the players hate him and know he's a total fraud. :rolleyes:

@buffalobills

"Rex had a lot to do with it. I love playing for him." How Rex influenced Incognito's deal: http://bufbills.co/IOuVc2

CdJEvlKUsAEv48v.jpg

The players loved Jauron too. It's winning games and the playoffs that count.

On another note, something tells me Mario wasn't entirely pleased and either was Marcell.

The reality is that like 90%+ of coaches in the NFL are "scheme guys." They have their pet scheme and they are going to run it.

That's the way it is with Rex, as it was with Schwartz, as it was with Pettine, as it was with Jauron, etc.

Either you hire a guy to run a scheme that largely fits your personnel, or you change your personnel.

I love the idea behind being multiple and molding your scheme to your players-- but that doesn't seem to ever work in practice. I hope that Whaley and the Pegulas appreciate that now, if they didn't when they hired Rex.

I would like to mention, when a Coach has a system and his Coaching staff have been working that system together for quite awhile, is it really all that smart to change up for "some" of the players?

Some of you folks keep saying "thats what good coaches do" and that is a fallacy.

They tweak. Rex was never going to run a Pettine system. Different philosophies.

Both have advantages and weaknesses.

does not Rex cannot understand Jim Schwartz or a wide nine. Ifhe believes in his system then that is what he should have employed. and that was his mistake.

he tried to cater to the players too much. Thats my guess at least.

And Bradham also said Mario put all the effort in.

so I discount every word he spoke. Don't wish him ill but i do not think he was a good fit here.

Because he is probably stoned still instead of in the playbook /sarcasm

Look....if Rex defense still looks bad this upcoming year......Im with ya

but not after one year in a complicated scheme guys....not one year. I realize that its been years of futility......but you have to have more patience then that

I would like to mention, when a Coach has a system and his Coaching staff have been working that system together for quite awhile, is it really all that smart to change up for "some" of the players?

Some of you folks keep saying "thats what good coaches do" and that is a fallacy.

They tweak. Rex was never going to run a Pettine system. Different philosophies.

Both have advantages and weaknesses.

does not Rex cannot understand Jim Schwartz or a wide nine. Ifhe believes in his system then that is what he should have employed. and that was his mistake.

he tried to cater to the players too much. Thats my guess at least.

And Bradham also said Mario put all the effort in.

so I discount every word he spoke. Don't wish him ill but i do not think he was a good fit here.

Because he is probably stoned still instead of in the playbook /sarcasm

I think that is what really hurts Bradham's statements....that "Mario put in all the effort"

He clearly did not and you can see that on the all 22....Mario did NOT put in alll the effort...when you are a player of Mario Williams physical attributes and your getting blocked by a TIGHT END.....you should sit yourself in the corner

It has been noted by some rather qualified people here, its not all that complicated. Just different. and it demands leaders on the field

:beer:

I agree with John too. Rex will get another chance. But after that the ice thins as the heat rises

I always find it a little curious that Rex is labeled a clown yet a self-obsessed tool who had his defense carry him off the field after the Detroit game like he won some stinking championship is a better option.

My belief is a lot of the anti-Rex fervor is because he came from a hated division rival. If he wasn't a long time Jets HC I don't think there would be this much hostility.

Here is the thing, Schwartzs D was good for the Bills personnel 2 yeas ago. That D needs a dominant front 4. It relies more on talent and less on scheme. This is good. The front 4 have the autonomy to usually just control their had with either a rush of clog for the run. Problem with this is cost. In Scwartzs D you have to pay 4 maybe 4 guys premium dollars. Of course you still have to have good corner play, which will come at a price as well.

Now Rex's D is more scheme based less individual talent based. Rex's D is based off the unit working together as 1. Rex's D relies on outstanding corner play, leaving them on an island so the other 9 guys can attack.

2 vs 4 premium paid .

My thought at least.

You also need intelligent and motivated horses to run Rexs scheme. If players dont study the playbook or arent smart enough to get it, we'll get the mess we got last year no matter how physically talented they are. This is what bothers me about next season, we have a good amount of picks to have a good defensive draft but were throwing those rookies into the arguably most complicated defense in the league rite off the bat and we need at least a starting LB, DT/NT, and Saftey through the draft on Defense.

I agree with John too. Rex will get another chance. But after that the ice thins as the heat rises

As it should. I went into last season underestimating the time it would take to transition to Rex's scheme, I totally fumbled that aspect of the analysis. Rex will get, and should get, another year to implement his scheme and style before he's run out of town -- but if they finish 8-8 or worse I wouldn't expect Rex to survive to year three baring major outside influences.

As it should. I went into last season underestimating the time it would take to transition to Rex's scheme, I totally fumbled that aspect of the analysis. Rex will get, and should get, another year to implement his scheme and style before he's run out of town -- but if they finish 8-8 or worse I wouldn't expect Rex to survive to year three baring major outside influences.

8-8 is an interesting line in the sand.

I expect to see major progress on both sides of the ball.

And that should equate to playoffs.

But if the injury bug hits us hard, say TT and SW, i cannot in good conscious say 8-8 defines his stay in Buffalo.

But this season surely will define his future in Buffalo.

any slipping will not go well for him.

Next HC will be Roman btw

8-8 is an interesting line in the sand.

I expect to see major progress on both sides of the ball.

And that should equate to playoffs.

But if the injury bug hits us hard, say TT and SW, i cannot in good conscious say 8-8 defines his stay in Buffalo.

But this season surely will define his future in Buffalo.

any slipping will not go well for him.

Next HC will be Roman btw

If the offense takes the step most expect it to, I could see that happening with GRo. Though, I wonder if his loyalty to Rex would prevent him from stepping into that particular gig should Rex get the boot. It might.

... He clearly did not and you can see that on the all 22....Mario did NOT put in alll the effort...when you are a player of Mario Williams physical attributes and your getting blocked by a TIGHT END.....you should sit yourself in the corner

Blocked by a tight end? How about getting blocked one on one by a little scatback? Sproles embarrassed Mario. Not that Mario is capable of feeling embarrassed.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

If the offense takes the step most expect it to, I could see that happening with GRo. Though, I wonder if his loyalty to Rex would prevent him from stepping into that particular gig should Rex get the boot. It might.

why do you think he is loyal to Rex?

and if rex is gone, why would he not step up. Just seems logical.

But i detract from the theme here.

Bills better draft his replacement and well before the 4th round IMO

why do you think he is loyal to Rex?

and if rex is gone, why would he not step up. Just seems logical.

He and Rex go back a long ways. There are only 32 head coaching jobs in the world though, so it might not be something Roman would be willing to pass up, but he might if Rex is shown the door in a contentious way.

He and Rex go back a long ways. There are only 32 head coaching jobs in the world though, so it might not be something Roman would be willing to pass up, but he might if Rex is shown the door in a contentious way.

Lets cross that bridge when we come upon it then.

And lordy hope we don't even need to !!