Eagles OT signs extension - Glenn could be similar

jahbonas

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: with TT's mobility, is LT as important on the Bills as it is on other teams with more traditional passers? The Steelers generally don't have fantastic OL's, but get great play from Big Ben. Glenn is great, and worth keeping, but might be better to keep Ritchie and Gilmore over Glenn if needed. A CB is harder to replace IMO than a LT.

Question: with TT's mobility, is LT as important on the Bills as it is on other teams with more traditional passers? The Steelers generally don't have fantastic OL's, but get great play from Big Ben. Glenn is great, and worth keeping, but might be better to keep Ritchie and Gilmore over Glenn if needed. A CB is harder to replace IMO than a LT.

It's not just about protecting the QB. The Bills run to the left a lot under Roman's scheme.

Anyone have Russel Okung's phone number?

no but the Bills have his email address. He emailed all 32 teams to let them know about his successful surgery and recovery time. He doesn't have an agent and is representing himself. However if any of the teams reply to the email it could be considered tampering at this early stage.

It's not just about protecting the QB. The Bills run to the left a lot under Roman's scheme.

This. And if I'm not mistaken, they were most successful (by a good chunk) running to the L

Also, one improvement Whaley (and others) have mentioned wanting to see from Taylor is for him to step up into the pocket to find his throwing lanes and hit those throws over the middle. That's hard to ask if we don't give him a line (and an LT) he can trust.

Big Ben is 6'5" and 245 lbs. He can see to hit those throws over the middle even if there are linemen in front of him.

He's also been hurt quite a bit. If the Steelers want to go to a 4th Superbowl with Ben it would behoove them to keep him cleaner.

Anyone have Russel Okung's phone number?

Ha ha, No, but all 32 teams have his email addy!

Edited by Hopeful

That would be extreme comparables! I say ink it, it can only go higher. LT is not a want it is a need. And, Cordy is great. The only knock is no Pro Bowls or All Pros. But, his play is similar to those who are. In Buffalo we have needed a QB and LT for the century. We have one and may have two. Let's lock up the LT.

Glenn has been mostly stellar for the Bills and pretty durable other than his condition he had which I believe affected his play 2 years ago...

I can only remember a few times where I've seen Glenn get beat cleanly...most times a sack his guy gets is because the QB holds the ball too long or starts trying to scramble

That has a lot to do with the left side of the line being much stronger then the right side tbh tho.

So the way to become the team we all envision is thus strengthen the right side of the line to be more comparable to the left, not gut the left side.

True or could and should have an out clause for kidney failure.

I agree, this should be written in - some refund of guaranteed $$ if he can't play due to NFI or retires due to kidney problem (even if football induced). Dunno if he and his agent would agree though - would probably require juicier bonus/guarantee to get it in there.

There's been no doubt in my mind that we need to pay Glenn something averaging $13M/yr, 4 yrs and half of it guaranteed. The only question is how we can structure that to fit under our cap and yet not kill us with dead money if Mr. One Kidney can't go in a year or two.

Someone asked a few posts back what the franchise tag was for an OL. 2015, it was $12.9M. Probably higher this year, but that's actually probably good news for the Bills because it's not that much more than a reasonable average salary, so the Bills have not much disincentive to use it and Glenn has an incentive to avoid it in favor of long-term security.

Edited by Hopeful

I just can't get on board with paying him that much. I like Glenn, but he's not a mauller. I get how his stats work out, but scheme has a lot to do with it. TT running has a lot to do with it. This is the same like that was atrocious the year before.

With our cap situation and needs at LB, I'm okay with letting him go and either drafting a guy or getting a B range guy in FA.

If we can make it work and still accomplish our other goals, then great.

The Bills should offer Cordy a reasonable deal at around 10mil per , let's say 6-60 that's with incentives. If he doesn't agree franchise tag him and draft a guy in the first 2 rds of this yrs draft Decker or Conks or Shon Coleman in the 2nd develop your pk at RT for one yr and move him to LT next yr. Say goodbye to Cordy especially if he wants 13+ per season he's not elite and that type of deal will hinder us in the future especially if Tyrod ends up playing like a franchise QB.

Paying a Tackle 40 million guaranteed is insane. Value isn't there.

Is that you Dick Jauron?

I'm just kidding, but I could not disagree with you more.

One of the primary reasons, (imo the biggest reason other than quarterback) that the Bills have sucked and don't make the playoffs is the historic utter neglect of the OL. And when they DID decide to sign blockers, they usually wound up with bad players such as Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery. I could name countless others.

Jonas Jennings was pretty good; Jason Peters was great. We know the rest of those stories.

Remember the draft when we skipped over the likes of Ryan Clady and Brandon Albert? We drafted Leotis McKelvin instead. Ya think if we would have drafted either one of these guys we would have won just a few more games? Made the playoffs once?

And btw, if I sound like a wiseass I am sorry. I truly do appreciate the dialogue. I must however admit that you did strike a nerve. ;)

Is that you Dick Jauron?

I'm just kidding, but I could not disagree with you more.

One of the primary reasons, (imo the biggest reason other than quarterback) that the Bills have sucked and don't make the playoffs is the historic utter neglect of the OL. And when they DID decide to sign blockers, they usually wound up with bad players such as Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery. I could name countless others.

Jonas Jennings was pretty good; Jason Peters was great. We know the rest of those stories.

Remember the draft when we skipped over the likes of Ryan Clady and Brandon Albert? We drafted Leotis McKelvin instead. Ya think if we would have drafted either one of these guys we would have won just a few more games? Made the playoffs once?

And btw, if I sound like a wiseass I am sorry. I truly do appreciate the dialogue. I must however admit that you did strike a nerve. ;)

Your stating the obvious and using hindsight to do so. Clady and Albert would have been nice additions, no doubt about that. Your rebuttal is off base though. If Cordy is looking to be paid as an elite LT that should not force our hand just because he is currently our best option. How about instead of overpaying Clay we had signed Lupati who got an almost identical contract?

The problem with the Oline starts with the GM being able to draft capable starters and depth players. Whaley is yet to draft one bonafide starter. The jury is out on John Miller lets see what he does this year. The book on Henderson and Cyrus is all but written and it comes as no surprise. Drafting a guard should be one of the easier positions, look at the recent history we have failed.

Wasting a 2nd on Cyrus was a huge mistake he had red flags galore. The Henderson pick was low risk high reward no one can complain about that. We need to improve the oline and do so without wasting more picks. I think that is a far more successful long term approach than overpaying for a mediocre talent.

So the way to become the team we all envision is thus strengthen the right side of the line to be more comparable to the left, not gut the left side.

Offensively its def a step in the right direction. Gutting the left side of the line would be a HUGE mistake im 'hopeful' we dont make. Anyone who thinks gutting the left side of the line over $ needs to remember all the years we had a swiss cheese o-line and how bad it was and how bad it will be for Tyrods development and the offense as a whole. Plus Rex might be gone next year if he doesnt prove last years decline in his defense was an out of norm season, so we might as well keep the 1st decent offense we have had in years together and upgrade RT & WR2 as well filling all the holes on defense thanks to the scheme change. its gonna take a really good draft to pull that off with no $$ for FA signings.

Edited by Marty McFly

Not only that, Tyrod has a tendency to sit in the pocket for quite a long time.