Eagles OT signs extension - Glenn could be similar

jahbonas

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The #Eagles and OT Lane Johnson have agreed on a 5-year extension that could pay him up to $63M with $35.5M in guarantees, sources say.

Wow...well, the price tag for Cordy Glenn just went up considerably.

Johnson is a RT getting upwards of $12M per year; Glenn should want $13M per with $40M guaranteed.

Thanks Philly.

That would be extreme comparables! I say ink it, it can only go higher. LT is not a want it is a need. And, Cordy is great. The only knock is no Pro Bowls or All Pros. But, his play is similar to those who are. In Buffalo we have needed a QB and LT for the century. We have one and may have two. Let's lock up the LT.

Edited by Manther

Yep, I was hoping for something like 4 years $40M with $20M guaranteed.

Yeah, I thought the Colts screwed us when they gave Castonzo that contract before opening day, but this is even worse.

I'm sure that the sell would be that they're paying Johnson as though he's going to take over at LT when Peters retires, but still, Glenn's agent will have no compunction about asking for Trent Williams numbers now.

Only item we know for sure is the 7 million/year guaranteed

Hope so see how likely the incentives are to get to the 63 figure (12.5/year)

True, though the AAV went way up for a LT now.

Wow...well, the price tag for Cordy Glenn just went up considerably.

Johnson is a RT getting upwards of $12M per year; Glenn should want $13M per with $40M guaranteed.

Thanks Philly.

I signed Lane Johnson in Madden, and the game encouraged me to put him at LT and Glenn at RT. Glenn was rated the same on both sides while Johnson improved slightly on the left. Irrelevant but it gets a fella to thinking

I don't know much about Johnson although I remember his tremendous athleticism from the draft. Do you think he's capable of playing left tackle at a high level?

I'm wondering if the Bills could make the case that Philly decided to have two left tackles, and paid accordingly, and if that could help in negotiations with Glenn in any significant way.

edit- I see you answered this already, lol

Edited by Aaron

I signed Lane Johnson in Madden, and the game encouraged me to put him at LT and Glenn at RT. Glenn was rated the same on both sides while Johnson improved slightly on the left. Irrelevant but it gets a fella to thinking

I don't know much about Johnson although I remember his tremendous athleticism from the draft. Do you think he's capable of playing left tackle at a high level?

I'm wondering if the Bills could make the case that Philly decided to have two left tackles, and paid accordingly, and if that could help in negotiations with Glenn in any significant way.

edit- I see you answered this already, lol

Yeah, I'm sure the Bills will try to sell that angle, but even then, the starting point for Glenn has moved to $13M, since he's already done the job that Philly is guessing that Johnson can do.

Paying a Tackle 40 million guaranteed is insane. Value isn't there.

Whether it's there or not, someone's going to do it now that this deal is signed.

Paying a Tackle 40 million guaranteed is insane. Value isn't there.

Not trying to put words in your mouth, but are you saying "don't sign him for that amount"? I don't see how we let him go and bring in a LT on top of a RT to boot. IMO, we have to sign him long term, not the franchise tag. Take the $ savings from Mario and get it done. Incognito should be next in line to re-sign.

Yeah, I'm sure the Bills will try to sell that angle, but even then, the starting point for Glenn has moved to $13M, since he's already done the job that Philly is guessing that Johnson can do.

Whether it's there or not, someone's going to do it now that this deal is signed.

A GM's biggest folly, but you are right. There is never the return on investment in paying a single O-line position so much. Many have failed in this way.

The Eagles are spending a lot of money on "Potential" this offseason. Thats a crazy contract and they just gave a big one to Ertz too that

Lane Johnson is a very good player. If you buy in on the PFF stuff - he grade out very highly. I'd put him right there with Glenn.

And, I should note, in todays NFL the value of an RT is approaching that of an RT.

Ertz is also a fantastic player - his stats over the last month of the season are insanity.

Edited by johnwalter