Eagles OT signs extension - Glenn could be similar

jahbonas

Big Ben is 6'5" and 245 lbs. He can see to hit those throws over the middle even if there are linemen in front of him.

He's also been hurt quite a bit. If the Steelers want to go to a 4th Superbowl with Ben it would behoove them to keep him cleaner.

finally someone who sees other QBs even 'franchise' QBs that are much bigger then TT get hurt.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@corryjoel

Lane Johnson has $20,862,242 fully guaranteed at signing. It's in Tyron Smith's ballpark ($22,118,013 fully guaranteed at signing).

The base value of Lane Johnson's extension is $56.26M over 5 years. The new money max value is $60.01M through Pro Bowl escalators.

How much is the franchise tag for OT?

The Bills should offer Cordy a reasonable deal at around 10mil per , let's say 6-60 that's with incentives. If he doesn't agree franchise tag him and draft a guy in the first 2 rds of this yrs draft Decker or Conks or Shon Coleman in the 2nd develop your pk at RT for one yr and move him to LT next yr. Say goodbye to Cordy especially if he wants 13+ per season he's not elite and that type of deal will hinder us in the future especially if Tyrod ends up playing like a franchise QB.

see, this is the kind of thinking i loathe, Not personally NNS. But we drafted him. Raised him from a duckling, suffered with him and praised his success.

He has done nothing but put his head down and work. To me that epitomizes what a Bill should be, or even any honest to goodness lineman.

Pay him. he has earned it.

The health clauses need to be in there but dont use those and try then to bargain.

Glenn should be a Bill and thats a lesson we should have already learned.

Is that you Dick Jauron?

I'm just kidding, but I could not disagree with you more.

One of the primary reasons, (imo the biggest reason other than quarterback) that the Bills have sucked and don't make the playoffs is the historic utter neglect of the OL. And when they DID decide to sign blockers, they usually wound up with bad players such as Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery. I could name countless others.

Jonas Jennings was pretty good; Jason Peters was great. We know the rest of those stories.

Remember the draft when we skipped over the likes of Ryan Clady and Brandon Albert? We drafted Leotis McKelvin instead. Ya think if we would have drafted either one of these guys we would have won just a few more games? Made the playoffs once?

And btw, if I sound like a wiseass I am sorry. I truly do appreciate the dialogue. I must however admit that you did strike a nerve. ;)

The list of Buffalo Bills errors are sooo much longer than your snippets. Even recently, pre Whaley. Just horrid.

Its certainly should strike a nerve.

Your stating the obvious and using hindsight to do so. Clady and Albert would have been nice additions, no doubt about that. Your rebuttal is off base though. If Cordy is looking to be paid as an elite LT that should not force our hand just because he is currently our best option. How about instead of overpaying Clay we had signed Lupati who got an almost identical contract?

The problem with the Oline starts with the GM being able to draft capable starters and depth players. Whaley is yet to draft one bonafide starter. The jury is out on John Miller lets see what he does this year. The book on Henderson and Cyrus is all but written and it comes as no surprise. Drafting a guard should be one of the easier positions, look at the recent history we have failed.

Wasting a 2nd on Cyrus was a huge mistake he had red flags galore. The Henderson pick was low risk high reward no one can complain about that. We need to improve the oline and do so without wasting more picks. I think that is a far more successful long term approach than overpaying for a mediocre talent.

I do not think Cordy is mediocre talent.

Your point is certainly valid in theory

??

He takes a long time to throw

I haven't seen him sit any durn time in the pocket. He rolls out and races all over the backfield like a squirrel with a Bluetick after it. Maybe my memory is just selective?

Does that not equate to too long to throw Hopeful ?

Question: with TT's mobility, is LT as important on the Bills as it is on other teams with more traditional passers? The Steelers generally don't have fantastic OL's, but get great play from Big Ben. Glenn is great, and worth keeping, but might be better to keep Ritchie and Gilmore over Glenn if needed. A CB is harder to replace IMO than a LT.

LT is not any less important to the Bills than any other team and they can't afford to skimp at that position. Also, Tyrod hasn't yet proven that he is the Bills' long-term answer at QB. Cordy Glenn is very good but not great, IMO. That being said, they need to pony up and pay the man.

no but the Bills have his email address. He emailed all 32 teams to let them know about his successful surgery and recovery time. He doesn't have an agent and is representing himself. However if any of the teams reply to the email it could be considered tampering at this early stage.

Good info.... thanks!

Your stating the obvious and using hindsight to do so. Clady and Albert would have been nice additions, no doubt about that. Your rebuttal is off base though. If Cordy is looking to be paid as an elite LT that should not force our hand just because he is currently our best option. How about instead of overpaying Clay we had signed Lupati who got an almost identical contract?

The problem with the Oline starts with the GM being able to draft capable starters and depth players. Whaley is yet to draft one bonafide starter. The jury is out on John Miller lets see what he does this year. The book on Henderson and Cyrus is all but written and it comes as no surprise. Drafting a guard should be one of the easier positions, look at the recent history we have failed.

Wasting a 2nd on Cyrus was a huge mistake he had red flags galore. The Henderson pick was low risk high reward no one can complain about that. We need to improve the oline and do so without wasting more picks. I think that is a far more successful long term approach than overpaying for a mediocre talent.

You can blame Whaley. But, hitting on Oline picks or,any pick is not a science, so, when you do hit on one like Glenn....resign him!!

see, this is the kind of thinking i loathe, Not personally NNS. But we drafted him. Raised him from a duckling, suffered with him and praised his success.

He has done nothing but put his head down and work. To me that epitomizes what a Bill should be, or even any honest to goodness lineman.

Pay him. he has earned it.

The health clauses need to be in there but dont use those and try then to bargain.

Glenn should be a Bill and thats a lesson we should have already learned.

Yep!!!

LT is not any less important to the Bills than any other team and they can't afford to skimp at that position. Also, Tyrod hasn't yet proven that he is the Bills' long-term answer at QB. Cordy Glenn is very good but not great, IMO. That being said, they need to pony up and pay the man.

People keep saying this every year....mobile so why have a good O line

If people want to see TT progress as a QB.....give him the things a QB needs in order to do that......protection.....targets....running game

People keep saying this every year....mobile so why have a good O line

If people want to see TT progress as a QB.....give him the things a QB needs in order to do that......protection.....targets....running game

And a good D. Can't afford all that.

Good info.... thanks!

You can blame Whaley. But, hitting on Oline picks or,any pick is not a science, so, when you do hit on one like Glenn....resign him!!

Yep!!!

I usually loathe this type of thinking myself but in this case I think we need to draw a line in the sand and stand by it. Keeping those 13mil in our cap space will allow us to add a couple good players via free agency in 2017 now if Cordy performs at a high level again this yr under the 12.9 franchise tag the Bills can resign him. U realize we can get Alshon Jeffery with that money or Mo Wilk/Von Miller.

Do you not realize that you are preaching to the choir? No matter who is in charge, the Bills pay little attention to the ol by way of the draft. When the DO draft blockers, this historically is a disaster.

You don't need to tell me about Cyrus. I'm a huge Crimson Tide Fan and saw all of his games in college. I was on this board saying that he was the 4th or 5th best starter on that line, and a bad pick. He also has btw a chronic injury. Henderson started out good and fizzled which is about what one would expect from a 7th round pick.

Guards? The last good guard they drafted was Andy Levitre. I know that he didn't play well when he left. Many here point to this as genius by Bills management. I am of the opinion that it is due to injury. When he was in Buffalo he was excellent and we let him walk. I'm with you wrt Miller. He too started out good but he's a bit small imo and was outplayed by Urbik.

As far as Glenn, if he goes he will probably have to be replaced by a first round draft choice, or close to it. As you probably know, LTs don't last in the draft. Losing him would create yet another huge hole. The Bills tend to use their early draft choices on defensive backs and running backs.

But, they can always see if they can talk Greg Jerman out of retirement!

Edited by Bill from NYC

Do you not realize that you are preaching to the choir? No matter who is in charge, the Bills pay little attention to the ol by way of the draft. When the DO draft blockers, this historically is a disaster.

You don't need to tell me about Cyrus. I'm a huge Crimson Tide Fan and saw all of his games in college. I was on this board saying that he was the 4th or 5th best starter on that line, and a bad pick. He also has btw a chronic injury. Henderson started out good and fizzled which is about wht one would expect from a 7th round pick.

Guards? The last good guard they drafted was Andy Levitre. I know that he didn't play well when he left. Many here point to this as genius by Bills management. I am of the opinion that it is due to injury. When he was in Buffalo he was excellent and we let him walk. I'm with you wrt Miller. He too started out good but he's a bit small imo and was outplayed by Urbik.

As far as Glenn, if he goes he will probably have to be replaced by a first round draft choice, or close to it. As you probably know, LTs don't last in the draft. Losing him would create yet another huge hole. The Bills tend to use their early draft choices on defensive backs and running backs.

Whaley's second round selection of Kujo was a set back for the OL. Washington picked Morgan Moses in the third round. It took him a little time to adjust but now he is anchored as the RT. As a draft prospect he was much more athletic than Kujo was. Moses is progressing so well that the Skins moved their high first round selection G/T Brandon Scherff to the inside. The best way to get TT to get better as a qb is to put a high grade OL in front of him. And since the organization gave McCoy such a rich contract the best way to get a return on him is to have him play in front of a top tier line.

You don't need to tell me about Cyrus. I'm a huge Crimson Tide Fan and saw all of his games in college. I was on this board saying that he was the 4th or 5th best starter on that line, and a bad pick. He also has btw a chronic injury. Henderson started out good and fizzled which is about what one would expect from a 7th round pick.

To be fair, Bill, Whaley has drafted an OLmen with his 2nd pick in each of his drafts since taking the full time GM gig.

The Kouandjio pick was a miss from the start--both you and I called that.

Miller looks like he'll develop into a consistent starter, so I'm okay there.

I think they'll attempt to grab a RT in rounds 2-3 this year as well.

Overall, the line play was pretty solid last year; here's hoping that continues

Whaley's second round selection of Kujo was a set back for the OL. Washington picked Morgan Moses in the third round. It took him a little time to adjust but now he is anchored as the RT. As a draft prospect he was much more athletic than Kujo was. Moses is progressing so well that the Skins moved their high first round selection G/T Brandon Scherff to the inside. The best way to get TT to get better as a qb is to put a high grade OL in front of him. And since the organization gave McCoy such a rich contract the best way to get a return on him is to have him play in front of a top tier line.

They specifically drafted Scherff to play guard until he adjusted to the speed of the game--at least that's what they said on draft day.

I usually loathe this type of thinking myself but in this case I think we need to draw a line in the sand and stand by it. Keeping those 13mil in our cap space will allow us to add a couple good players via free agency in 2017 now if Cordy performs at a high level again this yr under the 12.9 franchise tag the Bills can resign him. U realize we can get Alshon Jeffery with that money or Mo Wilk/Von Miller.

Let me ask you this then. how do we replace him with any confidence in the next man up ? he is not on the team in My opinion as Seantrel is a risk at this point.

BTW Lane Johnson was quoted as saying he was drafted to play LT and in over the course of his new contract he expects to. all this while saying Peters is one of the very best in the league.

They specifically drafted Scherff to play guard until he adjusted to the speed of the game--at least that's what they said on draft day.

The intention was to play him at RT realizing that there was going to be an adjustment period for him (as you stated). But since Moses has played so well there it has worked out even better because those two big boys make up a formidable right side. With an all-pro at LT, Trent Williams, they are building a powerful OL. The stated strategy is to build a muscular OL and have a good running game so that they can put Kirk Cousins in a good position to succeed.

I like their GM, Scot McClellan. He has a plan (focusing on building both lines and working out) and he is implementing it. The owner is not interfering and allowing him to do his job. The much vilified owner is less visible and is more than happy with the positive direction the team is moving in.

I always felt Glenn was going to be somewherw between $11.5m and $13m a year. I never thought the $9-10m range was realistic.

If you are willing to allow him the excuse of the kidney removal for a down year in 2014 then he has been a top 8-10 left tackle in his time with the Bills.

Right and that is the perilous situation Whaley faces. If Glenn insists on being paid as a top 5-8 LT that is a big commitment to a guy whom has not been at that level on a consistent basis. Our failure to draft even guards almost forces Whaley's hand to lock up Glenn. If you spend a first round pick on a LT and miss it will further set back this roster as we all know.

Glenn has the team by the balls. To me it's similar to players like Tannehill and Dalton getting paid...the GM's are in a tough spot. I hate when a less than stellar player gets the upper hand in negotiations.