Buffalo Rising

billsfan_34

I'd love to be able to spend half the year in Buffalo. Even though I only lived there my first 8-1/2 years I still have relatives living there and feel a strong bond to the city. Anyone remember Jet Doughnuts?

Yes. Used to get a bag of glazed doughnut holes from them as a kid, before the Dunkin' Munchkin was invented, I think.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work at the Buffalo VA and also go to school on the West Side. The turn around is great to see. Ive had the opportunity to work in the Medical Corridor as well. People tend to leave out the wonderful services that you can receive in the area. Some should check out high point for a reality check. Roswell is truly amazing as well. Women and Childrens, when complete will be the icing on the cake. Oh and another terrible thing to note- the growth of UB that is the hub of the SUNY system. How terrible that a college is now 30k students and will end up being 50k in 4 more years or so. Also, im with you-I will take some snowstorms over the numerous hurricanes I went through when I lived in NC and Florida.

You are always going to have skeptics who reflexively respond as if the present time is the same time as it was when the steel and smoke stack industries perished (forty years ago). The mantra is always the same: taxes are too high. That isn't close to what is happening now. You don't need outsiders to validate the revitalizing and restructuring of the local economy that is clearly happening. But the critical mass of progress is now apparent to many people outside of the region. It's ironic that outsiders (investors) sometimes are more impressed with and see the positive dynamics that are occurring than the entrenched skeptics who are living in the community.

The Katie Couric and Yahoo entourage are specifically going to small and medium town communities that have struggled but are now showing signs of progress. Buffalo is on that list. That isn't something to dismiss. Steve Case, a founder of AOL, now involved with a hedge fund that invests in promising start-ups put Buffalo on his itinerary because he believes it is worth promoting and investing in.

No community big or small is without its problems. But if you take an overall view and a historical view of Buffalo I don't know how anyone could be negative about what is happening there.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/venture-capitalist-steve-case-invests-time-and-money-in-buffalo-visit-20150930

I don't know about all that government stuff but I'd move back just for Wegmans.

I'm with Yolo - I rave to people here in ATL about Wegmans and they sadly have no idea what I am talking about.

I find it petty that there are naysayers on this thread slamming this is a propaganda piece and that its great if you're a "white conspicuous consumer".....racist much?

I am thrilled to see the resurgence of Buffalo and it is long overdue. Yes the state has insane taxes and the political class in Buffalo has self-immolated time after time with gridlock that helps no one, but things are changing for the better. If the waterfront could be fully leveraged like Cleveland's, and the impoverished inner-city pockets get gentrified, things could continue to improve. I like what I hear in the Yahoo piece about Cuomo saying he wants Bflo to be the comeback story; that is great.

I've often said that if my job would allow me to move back to Buffalo, I would. Happy to see things improving. To all the naysayers, go find something else to complain about.

I'm with Yolo - I rave to people here in ATL about Wegmans and they sadly have no idea what I am talking about.

I find it petty that there are naysayers on this thread slamming this is a propaganda piece and that its great if you're a "white conspicuous consumer".....racist much?

I am thrilled to see the resurgence of Buffalo and it is long overdue. Yes the state has insane taxes and the political class in Buffalo has self-immolated time after time with gridlock that helps no one, but things are changing for the better. If the waterfront could be fully leveraged like Cleveland's, and the impoverished inner-city pockets get gentrified, things could continue to improve. I like what I hear in the Yahoo piece about Cuomo saying he wants Bflo to be the comeback story; that is great.

I've often said that if my job would allow me to move back to Buffalo, I would. Happy to see things improving. To all the naysayers, go find something else to complain about.

I did the same about Wegmans when I lived down south and no one understood how awful their grocery stores really were.

I did the same about Wegmans when I lived down south and no one understood how awful their grocery stores really were.

Wegman's has a growing presence in MD/VA area around DC. The below link describes their outstanding level of quality and good service.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/05/13/why-wegmans-really-is-the-best-supermarket-in-the-u-s/

Wegman's has a growing presence in MD/VA area around DC. The below link describes their outstanding level of quality and good service.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/05/13/why-wegmans-really-is-the-best-supermarket-in-the-u-s/

Unfortunately thats as far as they have gone except one in Charlotte, I think? Thank you for the link- great read. I dont think Wegmans could make it in the deeper south, primarily due to bad work ethic and poor customer service, but that is my opinion only. Edited by billsfan_34

While I may resemble that remark, it isnt really racist, or an invalid point. Buffalo is horribly segregated, and the wealth distribution is very segmented. The lines between the black and white neighborhoods, and the rich and poor neighborhoods are much clearer than even Atlanta, where there is a large black middle class, upper-middle class, and even upper class. Those dont exist here, and there are plenty of neighborhoods that would have no idea Buffalo is in a resurgence.

We do need to keep an eye on which areas are seeing improvements, and make sure that some areas dont get even worse while the others are coming up.

All of the recent development in Buffalo is great. It gives the college students, doctors, and lawyers somewhere to play. My point is that many of the issues that plagued the area and caused people to leave still exist. Ever since industry left the area there is a major lack of decent paying non professional middle class jobs. Look at auto manufacturers such as Toyota, Nissan, and Kia that have located their American factories mostly in the South. Sure, those places don't pay anywhere close to what GM used to, but still pay much better than a person without a college education is going to get in Buffalo. New York State and Buffalo have slowly degenerated into being upper middle class/upper class and the poor who recieve public assistance etc. The disappearing American middle class became apparent in WNY long before the rest of the US imo. This is why people seek opportunity other places, and the government still hasn't really addressed it. We are being sold a bill of goods thay everything looks great because a few wealthy investors have put money into the waterfront.

That being said, the city of Buffalo does look better than it has in a long time. This should help things a great deal. Hopefully things will continue to look up. I'm not saying that things aren't better now than they have been in the past. I'm also not trying to put down Buffalo. It's a cool city with a lot to do. I'm just making the point that there is a reason many people are gone. I don't think the problem has been solved, and until our local and state government get it together it won't be. Sadly I don't see that happening.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

There are great things everywhere. There are serious problems everywhere.

90% of life is focus. Do you focus on the negative or the positive? Either way, you're "right" but happy, successful people focus on the positive.

That said, Buffalo has changed a lot for the better in the past decade. It's easily noticeable.

I am a little surprised (but happy) to see so many of these stories, especially from people with no vested interest.

90% of life is focus. Do you focus on the negative or the positive? Either way, you're "right" but happy, successful people focus on the positive.

That said, Buffalo has changed a lot for the better in the past decade. It's easily noticeable.

I am a little surprised (but happy) to see so many of these stories, especially from people with no vested interest.

When you hit bottom there is only one place to go!

Well said! I try to look at the positives and I see alot of it around me.

While I may resemble that remark, it isnt really racist, or an invalid point. Buffalo is horribly segregated, and the wealth distribution is very segmented. The lines between the black and white neighborhoods, and the rich and poor neighborhoods are much clearer than even Atlanta, where there is a large black middle class, upper-middle class, and even upper class. Those dont exist here, and there are plenty of neighborhoods that would have no idea Buffalo is in a resurgence.

We do need to keep an eye on which areas are seeing improvements, and make sure that some areas dont get even worse while the others are coming up.

I remember reading an article long ago that Buffalo was the number 1 segregated city in the country. The article went on to inform the readers that the segregation wasnt black/white. The segregation was across the board and it was chosen, not forced. For instance much of the irish settled South Buffalo, Italians on the west side (small pocket on the east side), Black/Polish on the east side. I dont recall anyone being forcibly segregated and you cant look at affordability as a force out either- the city has been affordable to live in each of the sides, of course some areas within the area are pricier than others but thats everywhere.

Im proud to be from Buffalo and personally I am glad I moved back. My future is bright here. Lets also remember something- the days of getting a high paying job without a college education/skill set or military experience are just about over in many parts of the country, not just Buffalo. Its kinda why College etc.. Is preached now.

The past is a baked cake. You can't unbake a cake.

Focus on the future. The future is more exciting and positive for Buffalo than the recent past. That is a good thing!

Haha baked cake- nice analagy

WNY was long the stepchild of Albany. I include Rochester.

It does seem the tide has turned and NYC is no longer the only thing that mattered to New York State.

I can see it here too.

The thing that is a shame is how many folks got chased off by high taxes and lack of business development.

Folks lobbying Albany finally seem to have leveraged enough resources and a long term development plan for Buffalo.

Glad to hear its being felt at ground level finally.

Nice video. As a nyc kid, I really feel like Buffalo is like a 2nd home. I really enjoy being up there on gameday weekends not just for the games but for the city itself. I'm always talking up Buffalo, and any of my buddies that come up w me usually feel the same. I'm looking forward to investing in a home up there soon.

Nice video. As a nyc kid, I really feel like Buffalo is like a 2nd home. I really enjoy being up there on gameday weekends not just for the games but for the city itself. I'm always talking up Buffalo, and any of my buddies that come up w me usually feel the same. I'm looking forward to investing in a home up there soon.

Glad you liked it and enjoy your time here- we are very hospitipal and love people enjoying what we have to offer. If you get a second home and spend some more time here you will most likely really enjoy. The summer has free concerts in a few loactions and just loads of festivals, great parks, world class fresh water fishing, hiking, and anything else you may enjoy. If you can think of something your looking for and dont know where shoot me a message.

I got a choice piece of property Stadium view. Of course NYC pricing.

Mama always told me there would be one in the bunch! Guess you havent been in the city lately? Or had employment opportunities at the new medical corridor? You sound completely retarded to compare this to 20 years ago- move along and get a life.

Super nice- canalside is beautiful and riverworks is very cool.

BF34- Thanks for the response before I did. What a tool? I moved to Tampa the week before the Bills/Giants SB, and have enjoyed my home in Tampa, but my heart will always be with Buffalo.

It's funny my wife laughs as she puts it, whenever I see a person from buffalo, we almost always hit it off and have things to talk about. She tells me she has never seen people so proud of where they are from and what Buffalo means to them than persons from any other city. I loved the piece, and althoguh I probably will never move back, I'm so happy it is on the upswing. I can see it every year when we come back for a game.

And again to the tool, you obviously do not have a memory of what it was like in the 70's and 80's. I grew up in Hamburg, but went to school in Blasdell at the Catholic school, and all of my friends dads were out of work at one time when the plant laid off 18,000 employees. That was depressing. Buffalo is nothing like that time. Nothing.

BF34- Thanks for the response before I did. What a tool? I moved to Tampa the week before the Bills/Giants SB, and have enjoyed my home in Tampa, but my heart will always be with Buffalo.

It's funny my wife laughs as she puts it, whenever I see a person from buffalo, we almost always hit it off and have things to talk about. She tells me she has never seen people so proud of where they are from and what Buffalo means to them than persons from any other city. I loved the piece, and althoguh I probably will never move back, I'm so happy it is on the upswing. I can see it every year when we come back for a game.

And again to the tool, you obviously do not have a memory of what it was like in the 70's and 80's. I grew up in Hamburg, but went to school in Blasdell at the Catholic school, and all of my friends dads were out of work at one time when the plant laid off 18,000 employees. That was depressing. Buffalo is nothing like that time. Nothing.

Some people just dont have anything positive to say at all. I grew up in Tonawanda so we didnt feel the pain as bad as the southtown folk felt from the steel mill closing- tough times for sure. My dads in tampa also- hes in the brandon Bills Backers. When I was gone for 21 years I too would love to run into people from Buffalo- so much pride for sure- great post go Bills.

PS the "tool" runs a business in Buffalo yet talks trash about the place and the people. Wonder if he has the balls to state what his business is?

Edited by billsfan_34

I got a choice piece of property Stadium view. Of course NYC pricing.

Nice lol...I'll buy that then they move downtown

Glad you liked it and enjoy your time here- we are very hospitipal and love people enjoying what we have to offer. If you get a second home and spend some more time here you will most likely really enjoy. The summer has free concerts in a few loactions and just loads of festivals, great parks, world class fresh water fishing, hiking, and anything else you may enjoy. If you can think of something your looking for and dont know where shoot me a message.

Much appreciated, I will do that when the time comes...I really like the area around Hertel, or elmwood.

Loved Jet doughnuts I grew up 4 blocks from there. I could ride my bike there, the original Andersons, and Teds- oh and get my skates sharped at Sorrentinos too!

I work at the Buffalo VA and also go to school on the West Side. The turn around is great to see. Ive had the opportunity to work in the Medical Corridor as well. People tend to leave out the wonderful services that you can receive in the area. Some should check out high point for a reality check. Roswell is truly amazing as well. Women and Childrens, when complete will be the icing on the cake. Oh and another terrible thing to note- the growth of UB that is the hub of the SUNY system. How terrible that a college is now 30k students and will end up being 50k in 4 more years or so. Also, im with you-I will take some snowstorms over the numerous hurricanes I went through when I lived in NC and Florida.

You left off one critical establishment from your list of fine establishments on Sheridan.

RED BARN.

Remember that one?

Two things Buffalo has that will propel it in the 21st century are hydro power and vast reserves of fresh water. Hydroelectric power is a green resource that companies looking to reduce their carbon footprint will seek out. And the South and West are running out of water. They won't be able to sustain large populations going forward.

Depending on your definition of "South." We could go without anymore rain in Atlanta for awhile.

Good on Buffalo...still not moving back till they solve that whole winter issue.

Edited by Kevbeau

You left off one critical establishment from your list of fine establishments on Sheridan.

RED BARN.

Remember that one?

There is still one of those open in Bradford, PA. Its called the Farm Family Restaurant, but its the original Red Barn fried chicken recipe. I think its closing this year for good. Isnt the franchise out of Erie or somewhere out that way?

Now what to do with a giant building shaped like a barn....

Edit: looks like one in Wisconsin, too. At its peak there were 300-400 of them??

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Barn_(restaurant)

Edited by Captain_Quint

Made me homesick.

By the way, Brennans has great wings

Brennans wings are fantastic and an overall fun place to go!

There is still one of those open in Bradford, PA. Its called the Farm Family Restaurant, but its the original Red Barn fried chicken recipe. I think its closing this year for good. Isnt the franchise out of Erie or somewhere out that way?

Now what to do with a giant building shaped like a barn....

Edit: looks like one in Wisconsin, too. At its peak there were 300-400 of them??

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Barn_(restaurant)

Sorentinos Sports moved into the Red Barn building on Sheridan, originally they were on the other side next to Jet Doughnuts.

Well that was pissing into the cornflakes....

When was this web article released? I agree that article was just hoping something would land amongst high winds. I dont even see a date stamp on it. All it really ends up being is a writers opinion with a few facts sprinkled in. We all know Philadelphia is a tough city with high crime but im not sure how that catapults it to the list. And is 18 to 1 student to teacher ratio that bad? The steel mill in Butfalo closed ions ago, old hat for sure. How about saying Charlestown, SC is a bad place to live because there is hurricanes, torrential downpours, wicked hot summers with the accompanying sand fleas eating you alive? Grabbing at straws for an article, IMO.

Edited by billsfan_34

• 6 months later...