2016 Draft D-line thread

Beerball

Defensive Front 7 fitting our system that I think might be there at #19 (My order of preference FOR THIS DEFENSE):

• Shaq Lawson (won't be there, but a fellow can dream)
  • Jarran Reed as a DT34 - Statistically the best run-stopper 2 years running.
  • Andrew Billings as a DT34 and DT43 - Slides Dareus out to 5-tech, needs to platoon with TJ Barnes and maybe a Day3 pick
  • Sheldon Rankins as a DT43 --I like him less as a DE34 than DT43, but he's amazing as a runstopper, which was awful in 2015.
  • Leonard Floyd Georgia OLB34 -- great player ranked here mainly because I don't see him at DE, size issue
  • Robert Nkemdiche as DE34 but also DT43 - interviews didn't go well. Bills want less risk, but this is high reward. Speed's a concern, but not if falling out a window.
  • Noah Spence as an OLB34/DE43 - Dropped a bit after Combine interviews; Shaq Lawson essentially switched places with him.
  • Kevin Dodd Clemson as a OLB34 -He's 6'5" 280, also plays DE43
  • Jonathan Bullard as a DE43, but little dropoff as a DE34. I see him being drafted by 4-3 team earlier

Not a fan of Ogbah as a DE?

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we def take a LB in the 1st, its a position of need and since theres a lot of good prospects at LB and Dline this season chances are 1 of the top 5 BPA at pick 19 is gonna be a LB . So I could see LB and DE/DT being the 1st two picks.

First 3 even.

C'mon trade down !

Why use another first round pick on a stay at home lineman. The run d was fine last year. All we really need on the line is a nose tackle. At one end is dareus and the other we have Wynn, Charles and Bryant. what do you expect to change with another two gapper?

Linebackers are the playmakers of this defense and are sorely lacking.

BPA is great but needs to be kept in context. If their highest grade is on a punter or fullback that won't be the pick. BPA really means BPA at a position of priority.

yep. reasonable insight all around Aaron . But especially the bolded

Defensive Front 7 fitting our system that I think might be there at #19 (My order of preference FOR THIS DEFENSE):

• Shaq Lawson (won't be there, but a fellow can dream)
  • Jarran Reed as a DT34 - Statistically the best run-stopper 2 years running.
  • Andrew Billings as a DT34 and DT43 - Slides Dareus out to 5-tech, needs to platoon with TJ Barnes and maybe a Day3 pick
  • Sheldon Rankins as a DT43 --I like him less as a DE34 than DT43, but he's amazing as a runstopper, which was awful in 2015.
  • Leonard Floyd Georgia OLB34 -- great player ranked here mainly because I don't see him at DE, size issue
  • Robert Nkemdiche as DE34 but also DT43 - interviews didn't go well. Bills want less risk, but this is high reward. Speed's a concern, but not if falling out a window.
  • Noah Spence as an OLB34/DE43 - Dropped a bit after Combine interviews; Shaq Lawson essentially switched places with him.
  • Kevin Dodd Clemson as a OLB34 -He's 6'5" 280, also plays DE43
  • Jonathan Bullard as a DE43, but little dropoff as a DE34. I see him being drafted by 4-3 team earlier

The list is starting to tidy up i think.

Thanks Bot!

why not? He blew up at the combine and has 35 tackles for loss and 24 sacks the past two seasons.

He just looks average when I watch him play. Slow to react and not a versatile pass rusher.

Good run defender. I don't think he's worth the 19th pick.

He just looks average when I watch him play. Slow to react and not a versatile pass rusher.

Good run defender. I don't think he's worth the 19th pick.

Don't know about you but Ogbah looked really lazy to me. Looked like he took plenty of plays off.

Think he's a 4-3 base end only. Don't like him playing OLB, 3-cone was still pretty average for the position despite the 40. Kinda weird that Mockdraftable has his closest comparison athletically as Aldon Smith (90.6% similarity).

Edited by Blokestradamus

Don't know about you but Ogbah looked really lazy to me. Looked like he took plenty of plays off.

Think he's a 4-3 base end only. Don't like him playing OLB, 3-cone was still pretty average for the position despite the 40. Kinda weird that Mockdraftable has his closest comparison athletically as Aldon Smith (90.6% similarity).

Aldon Smith? Odd. To me he looks more like a Charles Johnson or Antonio Smith.

I don't know that it's as much laziness (though he does take some plays off) as it is lack of suddenness. To me, he just looks like a power-based player only.

I don't know that it's as much laziness (though he does take some plays off) as it is lack of suddenness. To me, he just looks like a power-based player only.

Yep, caught me out too. Pretty sure anything above 80% is a viable athletic comp (from the guy that put the site together),

Whatever it is, I'm not a big fan. He can be a productive player but I wouldn't take him if I was Whaley.

This is well worth a read from my Twitter pal @SundayFiasco on Robert Nkemdiche. Give Charles a follow too, he's a smart dude.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2016/2/25/11103216/robert-nkemdiche-triangles-athleticism-and-gap-discipline?utm_campaign=sundayfiasco&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

I see him in this light as well; a 43 end who doesnt have the natural quick twitch ability to win running the arc or to counter consistently, maybe the elephant in a 34. He does have good length and developmental potential, when he uses his hands and leverage correctly he can power anyone into the QB. He's a good athlete, but not JPP or Aldon Smith like athletic.

I think he's a 2nd round player in need of development, taking him in the 1st round will lead to failed expectations in the first 2 years at least IMO. I would be disappointed taking him in the 1st, I do think he'd be a solid value in the 2nd round potentially for the Bills, he seems to have the desire and attitude to want to get better.

I see him in this light as well; a 43 end who doesnt have the natural quick twitch ability to win running the arc or to counter consistently, maybe the elephant in a 34. He does have good length and developmental potential, when he uses his hands and leverage correctly he can power anyone into the QB. He's a good athlete, but not JPP or Aldon Smith like athletic.

I think he's a 2nd round player in need of development, taking him in the 1st round will lead to failed expectations in the first 2 years at least IMO. I would be disappointed taking him in the 1st, I do think he'd be a solid value in the 2nd round potentially for the Bills, he seems to have the desire and attitude to want to get better.

Mostly agree--I will say that I was blown away by his 1.59s 10-yard split at the combine. I didn't know he had that kind of get-off.

I've been watching a lot of highlight videos of the DL coming thru the draft and I have to say that I am really becoming a huge fan of this Carl Nassib kid. I know he's a one year wonder but this kid looks like a beast. Size, speed and relentlessness. I would love to see him in a Bills uni, where is he projected?

First 3 even.

C'mon trade down !

I could see that and wouldnt be mad at that as long as the incognito deal gets done. that ***** already giving me headaches for next season remembering our O line from 2014

I am still trying to come up to speed on this year's prospects, but I am not seeing a lot at LB right now that would lead me to pick one over one of the DL. I don't think you can take Jaylon Smith in round one due to his serious injury, Myles Jack will be long-gone, not sold on Darren Lee with his undersized frame in this D and Reggie Ragland is good but has his limitations in pass coverage.

Of those, I think Ragland may be the beast fit for this D, but I am not sure that he is a real impact guy. I am just not sure where Darren Lee would play in our defense and I worry that he would be exploited in the run game - something that will already be suffering without Mario Williams.

I think Ragland would be the best choice, I gotta update my sig but taking Jaylon Smith somewhere in the draft could be a steal if he can be as good as he was wen he gets healthy. Also Ragland could get his coverage game up hes a rookie most of them improve and seeing as coverage might be his weak spot I wouldnt be surprised if whoever signs him makes that a focus point of his 1st offseason in the NFL. Whoever OBD signs its gotta be someone whos smart enuff to understand Rexs Defense, study and buy in...

Edited by Marty McFly

Right now, I'm terrified that Whaley is going to trade next year's #1 to go get Miles Jack.

That wouldn't bother me in the slightest--Jack is an elite prospect that can do more on the field than any defender I've seen in at least a half-decade.

That wouldn't bother me in the slightest--Jack is an elite prospect that can do more on the field than any defender I've seen in at least a half-decade.

It wouldn't bother me either, Jack is the guy you make a move for. I don't think Whaley could make that move though even if he wanted. I'm guessing the ship is regulated and the organization is not going to allow anymore moves that could be seen as short term self preservation.

I have floated the idea that if the Bills were open to moving the 2017 1st they should do so to obtain two more picks in the top 70 or so in this draft. Package the 1st with this years 6th and get a nice 2nd and 3rd or something to that extent. That would give us 5 picks out of the top 80 players and we could revamp our defense and upgrade at needed positions on offense.

Again.... I don't think Whaley and company have the green light to invest future picks but if they did that's a creative way to have a franchise altering draft in a deep field.

If we go DL in the 1st I hope it is for Jarran Reed. He's not flashy, he's not going to put up huge numbers, but he WILL clog up the middle and play the run very well. That would allow us to kick Dareus to the 5 Tech. where he could be more disruptive. It would also allow Kyle to do the same, though I don't know whether Kyle would excel at this or not. Dareus played the 5 @ Alabama a lot so it would be perfect for him.

If we go DL in the 1st I hope it is for Jarran Reed. He's not flashy, he's not going to put up huge numbers, but he WILL clog up the middle and play the run very well. That would allow us to kick Dareus to the 5 Tech. where he could be more disruptive. It would also allow Kyle to do the same, though I don't know whether Kyle would excel at this or not. Dareus played the 5 @ Alabama a lot so it would be perfect for him.

he would be a tremendous fit on our DL. Would #freeDareus. #TwinTide

@PFF_Steve

Of all of run stopping interior DLinemen, Jarran Reed may be the best. Best combo of playmaker/disruptor. Handles doubles better than most

Nkemdiche is someone I would gamble on, as opposed to Spence.

Nkemdiche is a natural. He can beat anyone at any time. Maybe Rex and this D can get him going at the pro level. Dareus and Nkemdiche on the line together, with Hughes on the edge. Scary thought.

Nkemdiche is a natural. He can beat anyone at any time. Maybe Rex and this D can get him going at the pro level. Dareus and Nkemdiche on the line together, with Hughes on the edge. Scary thought.

The big concern is that he doesn't care enough about the game to excel at the next level.

Any edge you gain by being 2-3 tenths of a second faster in the 40......or quicker.....or stronger......is lost and then some without full effort.

That's what makes it such a tough position to project.

A lot of people don't remember but Pat Williams wasn't even a full time starter at Texas A&M because of questions about his effort.

He got a big slice of humble pie on draft day and eventually had a great career and earned a ton of bucks.

Jason Peters was projected anywhere from late round 1 to round 3 and ended up going undrafted and he earned his greatness.

There are tons of stories of monster athlete DL who get picked early and who just put in on cruise control..........at least until their first walk year. :thumbsup:

I want us to grab a LB in the 1st a jaran reed in the 2nd and with Nkemdiches off field issues we could grab him in the 3rd or 4th and I wouldnt be mad at that. also need a FS in the draft.