2016 Draft D-line thread

Beerball

We just went through a season where what was considered a strength of the team, was neutralized by quick passing games (and I just watched Brady neutralize the Chiefs vaunted D-line the same way). And the Wrex philosophy apparently uses big fat guys on the line, just holding ground (or covering receivers) so the LB's can make plays.

The defense was neutralized by Rex, and that word would be a compliment. Quick passing games are not brand new. Rex started the destruction of this defense. His brother will probably help complete the mission.

Going from 52 to what was it, 21 sacks is not idling in neutral. It's going in reverse or perhaps falling off a cliff.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The defense was neutralized by Rex, and that word would be a compliment. Quick passing games are not brand new. Rex started the destruction of this defense. His brother will probably help complete the mission.

Going from 52 to what was it, 21 sacks is not idling in neutral. It's going in reverse or perhaps falling off a cliff.

I think you mean neutered...

Anyone watch a lot of Lousville this year? Sheldon Rankins looks like a good prospect.

Chris Trapasso @ChrisTrapasso 4m4 minutes ago

LVille's Sheldon Rankins: best DT Ive watched so far. Athletic/super active/pass-rushing moves (great spin) & sheds v run. Complete prospect

Chris Trapasso @ChrisTrapasso 5m5 minutes ago

Rankins is pure DT. Nkemdiche, Buckner & A'Shawn could/should play (3-4) DE. But there's much more refinement in Rankins' game. Vital for DL

Edited by YoloinOhio

Anyone watch a lot of Lousville this year? Sheldon Rankins looks like a good prospect.

Chris Trapasso ‏@ChrisTrapasso 4m4 minutes ago

LVille's Sheldon Rankins: best DT Ive watched so far. Athletic/super active/pass-rushing moves (great spin) & sheds v run. Complete prospect

Chris Trapasso ‏@ChrisTrapasso 5m5 minutes ago

Rankins is pure DT. Nkemdiche, Buckner & A'Shawn could/should play (3-4) DE. But there's much more refinement in Rankins' game. Vital for DL

Lately, these Louisville guys seem like they're well-prepared for the pro game.

Chris Trapasso ‏@ChrisTrapasso 4m4 minutes ago

Chris Trapasso ‏@ChrisTrapasso 5m5 minutes ago

I like Buckner and Rankins a lot. Nkemdiche has great talent, but not that great production. And I am not sold on A'Shawn. We can't miss on round 1. We need a starter that we can count on. Buckner and Rankins could be that. I am not so sure about the later two

Rankins looks good in those clips - but round 1? His measurables aren't ideal, and he doesn't look to have the explosion or athleticism of Aaron Donald. I'm not sure...

Who does? Aaron Donald is the best defensive player in the league IMO

The more I watch of Kevin Dodd DE Clemson, the more I like him. He is a headsy player who has great play recognition. He does a pretty good job of setting the edge in the run game and he is pretty explosive getting after the passer. He also has incredibly long arms and has experience with his hand in the dirt and standing up. His downsides are he only has one year of PT at the college level and doesn't have much experience dropping into coverage. Kind of reminds me of Terrell Suggs

Right, so why spend the first pick on a position that Wrex is going to misuse?

No matter what, we can be assured of plenty DL talent in this draft. That's a good thing for us...maybe Doug should trade up! :wallbash:

A trade down would be better with all of the available defensive talent. Whaley is pretty good at getting value out of his picks, sometimes insanely productive players that we didn't even know existed.

Rankins looks good in those clips - but round 1? His measurables aren't ideal, and he doesn't look to have the explosion or athleticism of Aaron Donald. I'm not sure...

Sounds like what they said about Kyle Williams coming out of college.

The more I watch of Kevin Dodd DE Clemson, the more I like him. He is a headsy player who has great play recognition. He does a pretty good job of setting the edge in the run game and he is pretty explosive getting after the passer. He also has incredibly long arms and has experience with his hand in the dirt and standing up. His downsides are he only has one year of PT at the college level and doesn't have much experience dropping into coverage. Kind of reminds me of Terrell Suggs

We need smart players for Rex's complex schemes.

It'll likely be as bad as the misuse with Darby this season. :rolleyes:

We're talking D-lineman, you know, the unit of the defense that was expected to be a strength, but ended up ineffectual in Wrex's scheme. :death:

Why give him more, when he couldn't even use what he had? Why draft a guy in the 1st to rush the passer, when Wrex wants guys to occupy blockers, so LB's can make plays?

I think any mid-round fat guy will do just fine at NT, taking up space. And maybe bring in another veteran free agent at DE.

Edited by HoF Watkins