2016 Draft D-line thread

Beerball

Just watched a bunch of Nkemdiche games on DraftBreakdown and I still don't see this phenom 1st round player. He's like a plus version of Rakeem Nunez-Roches who was a 6th rounder last year.

Undersized 1-gap 3-Tech with a great first step and hit/miss after that. Inconsistent motor, has power in his hands but can't use it enough to be dominant, lateral movement is laboured. Little in the way of counter moves. Before you include the off-field stuff, the dude is still just recruiting hype.

good reminder as NSD approaches. He was the #1 overall recruit in the country.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good reminder as NSD approaches. He was the #1 overall recruit in the country.

I've never paid much attention to the college recruiting stuff, probably because I don't have a team.

I need to have a look at any correlation between high recruits and 1st round picks. Satisfy my curiousity.

I've never paid much attention to the college recruiting stuff, probably because I don't have a team.

I need to have a look at any correlation between high recruits and 1st round picks. Satisfy my curiousity.

that would be very interesting. I'll look around, I'm sure the data on that is somewhere. Of course, there are so many variables such as guys who change position, coaching changes, off-field issues etc. Darron Lee was a 2 star recruit as a HS QB and then earned an offer by going to multiple OSU camps and showing he could play another position. Could end up a 1st rounder. Karlos Williams was a 5 star recruit as a safety but switched to RB and went in the 5th. Edited by YoloinOhio

Only one game in but I really quite like Carl Nassib. The one year of production thing bothers me but he seems like a guy the Bills might take a look at long term to put some weight on and play 5-Tech.

For a dude who's nearly 6' 7", his pad level is very good. Frankly, I already like him more than DeForest Buckner!

Only one game in but I really quite like Carl Nassib. The one year of production thing bothers me but he seems like a guy the Bills might take a look at long term to put some weight on and play 5-Tech.

For a dude who's nearly 6' 7", his pad level is very good. Frankly, I already like him more than DeForest Buckner!

Keep in mind that Austin Johnson and Zettel were making it much easier for Nassib. The dude has talent, yes, and he'd be getting similar help on the Bills, but I still like Nassib's help better than Nassib himself.

Keep in mind that Austin Johnson and Zettel were making it much easier for Nassib. The dude has talent, yes, and he'd be getting similar help on the Bills, but I still like Nassib's help better than Nassib himself.

I couldn't take him before the 4th given his lack of game experience and the fact that I'd want him to change body shape and position but he's an intriguing guy. Needs a lot of coaching to get him out of some bad habits but he's firmly on my radar. I think he's too stiff to play either 4-3 DE or 3-4 SLB as an every down type of guy.

I don't really penalise a guy for having good teammates. It's obviously something to take note of but it's out of his control. I wouldn't take Robinson, Ragland, Reed or Allen off my wish list because of the other 3. The NFL is supposed to be the cream of the crop so everyone *could* play with elite talent at the next level.

Link to a really good piece on Joey Bosa - https://twitter.com/JuMosq/status/695578469195915264

Not entirely sure why I can't link direct to Bleacher Report.

i read that this morning - that's the Force Player guy, right? Good breakdown - not a huge fan of comparing college players to current pros but from a general perspective it's safer to project someone as a solid pro than an all-pro. On Bosa I keep coming back to Chris Spielman's assessment - "he's as dominant as he wants to be." Spielman watches a ton of film and played at both levels and says he's the best defensive player he's watched in college in a decade. I find that very extreme but he's a guy who does not hold back and isn't a OSU homer when evaluating players (he actually tends to go the other way). Then the fact that his brother is the GM for the Vikings and I'm sure they've talked. I think the best comparison though I've heard about where he is coming out of college is Mario Williams. If you're going to compare to a current pro. Except bosa may play inside and outside and can fit into any scheme.

Bosa will surprise teams with how coachable he is. Sometimes pass rushers want to freelance. He was as a sophomore, he had really evolved this year. Leaps and bounds. Also - he is a "team guy" (more about the jersey than the name) and makes big time plays in big time games. Not racking up numbers vs the cupcakes and then disappearing against the big boys. Always shows up when a play is needed.

Edited by YoloinOhio

i read that this morning - that's the Force Player guy, right? Good breakdown - not a huge fan of comparing college players to current pros but from a general perspective it's safer to project someone as a solid pro than an all-pro. On Bosa I keep coming back to Chris Spielman's assessment - "he's as dominant as he wants to be." Spielman watches a ton of film and played at both levels and says he's the best defensive player he's watched in college in a decade. I find that very extreme but he's a guy who does not hold back and isn't a OSU homer when evaluating players (he actually tends to go the other way). Then the fact that his brother is the GM for the Vikings and I'm sure they've talked. I think the best comparison though I've heard about where he is coming out of college is Mario Williams. If you're going to compare to a current pro. Except bosa may play inside and outside and can fit into any scheme.

Bosa will surprise teams with how coachable he is. Sometimes pass rushers want to freelance. He was as a sophomore, he had really evolved this year. Leaps and bounds. Also - he is a "team guy" (more about the jersey than the name) and makes big time plays in big time games. Not racking up numbers vs the cupcakes and then disappearing against the big boys. Always shows up when a play is needed.

When Justis talks pass rushers, I tend to listen. On this occasion, I'm not so sure I agree with him. It doesn't sound like he's really accounting for technical/physical growth at all. The recurring theme I've seen with people I follow responding to this is a guy like JJ Watt. Watt was a really good prospect that got kinda lost in the sea of ridiculous talent in that draft but it was his work ethic that made him become what he is today.

I think the Mario comparison is pretty good (the 2012-14 version). Even when he's not racking up sacks himself, he's capable of drawing attention and helping to facilitate for teammates. After all, it's a team game.

I think me and Justis have a philosophical difference on edge players. I prefer guys that are more balanced (Bosa/Lawson/Fowler) over the speed guys like Vic Beasley. I respect the Force Players work he does but I'm content with a 8-10 sack kind of guy that puts in a shift against the run. If the NFL sees Bosa like he does, I'll take him at 19!

Edited by Blokestradamus

When Justis talks pass rushers, I tend to listen. On this occasion, I'm not so sure I agree with him. It doesn't sound like he's really accounting for technical/physical growth at all. The recurring theme I've seen with people I follow responding to this is a guy like JJ Watt. Watt was a really good prospect that got kinda lost in the sea of ridiculous talent in that draft but it was his work ethic that made him become what he is today.

I think the Mario comparison is pretty good (the 2012-14 version). Even when he's not racking up sacks himself, he's capable of drawing attention and helping to facilitate for teammates. After all, it's a team game.

I think me and Justis have a philosophical difference on edge players. I prefer guys that are more balanced (Bosa/Lawson/Fowler) over the speed guys like Vic Beasley. I respect the Force Players work he does but I'm content with a 8-10 sack kind of guy that puts in a shift against the run. If the NFL sees Bosa like he does, I'll take him at 19!

i remember reading last year that NFL scouts would use any film they could get of OT prospects vs Bosa to grade them, because they considered him to be the closest thing to an nfl DE in the college game. And that included his film as a true freshman. He was a full grown man the day he walked into campus. I used to compare him to Watt because he had so much impact on a game, but then I thought I was being lazy and using race as a factor when in reality Watt is a beast I can't compare to anyone. I don't think Bosa has the motor of Watt, and he won't ultimately add as much to his frame as Watt did, but I think Mario is good comparison. Bosa said he models his game after Tamba Hali fwiw. I don't know if he will go #1 but I think top 5 is a safe bet. He could be this year's Leonard Williams, though.

Has anyone watched anything of Alex McCalister from Florida yet? Early declaration, got kicked off the team late last year.

Looks like he could be a late round pick, long term guy. 6' 5", 239lbs, long arms. All finesse, not much power. Only has one pass rush move. Could bulk up and play SLB, could back up Jerry at JLB, could feasibly learn to drop in coverage as a nickel LB.

EDIT: Certainly wouldn't draft him, even before the off-field stuff. Priority free agent, stick him on the PS for a while. One of those guys that I'd like to believe could develop but I'm not sure the NFL has the patience to see it come to fruition. You'd be taking a punt on his physical ability and hoping a football player emerges one day.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Has anyone watched anything of Alex McCalister from Florida yet? Early declaration, got kicked off the team late last year.

Looks like he could be a late round pick, long term guy. 6' 5", 239lbs, long arms. All finesse, not much power. Only has one pass rush move. Could bulk up and play SLB, could back up Jerry at JLB, could feasibly learn to drop in coverage as a nickel LB.

EDIT: Certainly wouldn't draft him, even before the off-field stuff. Priority free agent, stick him on the PS for a while. One of those guys that I'd like to believe could develop but I'm not sure the NFL has the patience to see it come to fruition. You'd be taking a punt on his physical ability and hoping a football player emerges one day.

I have him at RD7#260, and right now we don't have a 7th-rounder. But compensatories are forthcoming.

I have him at RD7#260, and right now we don't have a 7th-rounder. But compensatories are forthcoming.

I would love a compensatory pick. I'd feel a little more secure about drafting a kicker with more picks.

I think this is a draft where I'd probably give up a 1st rounder for another 3 picks in the 40-75 range.