2016 Draft D-line thread

Beerball

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RD1. Defensive end is almost my #1 because Mario is our most-expensive, 9th-oldest, cap drain. Yes, he's good, but you are paying $19M for it next year, so a million bucks per this year's tackle. Bills would be spending $43,575,000 cap on D-Line next year if something isn't done. Lavar Edwards has been signed as a 3-4DE. In RD1, there are several who fit.

DE EMMANUEL OGBAH OKLAHOMA STATE (may not be there when we pick, but he's raw--like Ansah was)

DE DEFOREST BUCKNER OREGON

DE SHILIQUE CALHOUN MICHIGAN STATE

Buckner would be the best fit for Rex's system, and Shilique Calhoun would be the most versatile (a Manny Lawson swiss army knife).

http://thedraftwire.usatoday.com/2016/01/03/top-candidates-for-the-buffalo-bills-in-the-first-round/

DE Carl Lawson, Junior, Auburn Tigers

Back-to-back Tigers look like promising fits in Buffalo, as Lawson can play with his hand down or from a two-point stance.495126932.jpg?w=150&h=94 Should Williams depart as expected, Lawson’s well-rounded pass rushing traits could be a nice addition off the edge for Buffalo.

RELATED:

I actually want the Bills to draft a NT. He hasn't declared yet and he might not be available when the Bills pick but I really would like them to take A'Shawn Robinson DT from Alabama. This would allow Dareus to move to the 5 Tech position and would increase our ability to stop the run. A lot of the Alabama players make a ton of sense for the Bills this year. ILB Reggie Ragland, DT A' Shawn Robinson, DE Jarron Reed, DE Johnathan Allen

I actually want the Bills to draft a NT. He hasn't declared yet and he might not be available when the Bills pick but I really would like them to take A'Shawn Robinson DT from Alabama. This would allow Dareus to move to the 5 Tech position and would increase our ability to stop the run. A lot of the Alabama players make a ton of sense for the Bills this year. ILB Reggie Ragland, DT A' Shawn Robinson, DE Jarron Reed, DE Johnathan Allen

My hope for NT is using some of the savings from cutting Mario to pay Damon Harrison.

I really like Buckner as Mario's replacement but realize he may not make it to the low teens.

Edited by JM57

RD1. Defensive end is almost my #1 because Mario is our most-expensive, 9th-oldest, cap drain. Yes, he's good, but you are paying $19M for it next year, so a million bucks per this year's tackle. Bills would be spending $43,575,000 cap on D-Line next year if something isn't done. Lavar Edwards has been signed as a 3-4DE. In RD1, there are several who fit.

DE EMMANUEL OGBAH OKLAHOMA STATE (may not be there when we pick, but he's raw--like Ansah was)

DE DEFOREST BUCKNER OREGON

DE SHILIQUE CALHOUN MICHIGAN STATE

Buckner would be the best fit for Rex's system, and Shilique Calhoun would be the most versatile (a Manny Lawson swiss army knife).

Calhoun?

I'd be all over this. A'Shawn is a real possibility and one of "My Five". I wouldn't be surprised to see two Alabama players in this Bills draft class.

Calhoun?

Calhoun?

Derrick Henry is RD1 and 242 lbs, future Pro Bowler.

Shilique Calhoun is RD2 replacement for Bradham. The knock on him is that, while he possessess elite awareness, he hasn't finished plays. Great example of that, but Calhoun will

spoil read options and quick screen plays all day.

If you start with D-Line in your Bills draft, good things always happen. I had one trade-up and one trade-down to make this happen on the FanSpeak OTC:

20: R1P20
DE DEFOREST BUCKNER
OREGON
40: R2P9
DT ANDREW BILLINGS
BAYLOR
88: R3P25
OLB TYLER MATAKEVICH
TEMPLE
114: R4P19
TE O.J. HOWARD
ALABAMA
144: R5P17
QB BRANDON DOUGHTY
WESTERN KENTUCKY
147: R5P20
WR NELSON SPRUCE
COLORADO

I'm almost 100% certain at this point that Mario Williams will not be on the roster next year. As such, drafting a replacement in the first round makes the most sense to me. While I would love to see them have a shot at a DeForest Buckner or Shaq Lawson, I don't see either of those guys falling to where the Bills are picking. So that would mean drafting the 4th or 5th best DE on the board in Ogbah or Allen. Taking a Reggie Ragland instead would not hurt my feelings. He's been a beast all year for Alabama and the consensus #1 at his position in this years draft. He can rush the passer, but also defend TE's in pass coverage. The latter has been sorely missing from the Bills defenses for years.

If you start with D-Line in your Bills draft, good things always happen. I had one trade-up and one trade-down to make this happen on the FanSpeak OTC:

20: R1P20
DE DEFOREST BUCKNER
OREGON
40: R2P9
DT ANDREW BILLINGS
BAYLOR
88: R3P25
OLB TYLER MATAKEVICH
TEMPLE
114: R4P19
TE O.J. HOWARD
ALABAMA
144: R5P17
QB BRANDON DOUGHTY
WESTERN KENTUCKY
147: R5P20
WR NELSON SPRUCE
COLORADO

Which draft board do you use? I almost never see Buckner or Billings available at those picks in mock drafts. Big fan of the Matakevich pick, though, and I think we could get him there.

Shilique Calhoun is RD2 replacement for Bradham. The knock on him is that, while he possessess elite awareness, he hasn't finished plays. Great example of that, but Calhoun will

spoil read options and quick screen plays all day.

kid wasn't an aggressive player in HS, but has become a good speed rusher. I don't think he can hold the edge in the nfl, but may become a very useful lb/de hybrid like Lawson - but is that what Rex needs? he's a better fit for a team that doesn't have a Hughes to bring pressure.. but even then, I have to wonder how much he's changed from the kid who left practice cause his hands were cold.. great athlete, but not a natural baller.

kid wasn't an aggressive player in HS, but has become a good speed rusher. I don't think he can hold the edge in the nfl, but may become a very useful lb/de hybrid like Lawson - but is that what Rex needs? he's a better fit for a team that doesn't have a Hughes to bring pressure.. but even then, I have to wonder how much he's changed from the kid who left practice cause his hands were cold.. great athlete, but not a natural baller.

not a huge Calhoun fan. Would take him as a later value pick if he falls, but wouldn't touch him where he is projected.

not a huge Calhoun fan. Would take him as a later value pick if he falls, but wouldn't touch him where he is projected.

if his shuttle times confirm his agility to play the hybrid rush de/lb he'll go sooner . he is quick, and disruptive.. but he needs something to hang that hat on at the next level. he was a couple years behind my youngest son in HS... a nice kid.. maybe too nice. but from the success he's had at MSU, I'd say he's been working his butt off. he came a long way

I'm really surprised this thread is not up there in # of posts along with QB. We are pretty certain Mario is going to be history and Kyle, like Fred isn't getting any younger. Going to need some beef on the DLine this year. I'd like to see two quality players on the line somehow this off season.