Osweiler or Tyrod: Who Would You Sign Long-Term?

I think the league already figured him out, to be honest.

Two weeks in a row of no 2nd half points. Then Cincinnati starts off totally shutting him down until their entire D got gassed once the Bengals offense remembered they were playing a prime time game.

I'm not impressed with Denver's "magical OZ" and I look forward to him completely falling apart in the playoffs.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy. TT.

Tyrod is nothing but a back up QB and we have seen all the tricks in his bag.This is Doug Flutie all over again.It took teams about 10 games to totally figure him out and he will never be a difference maker in this league.Sorry to be a wet blanket but if anyone here sees Tyrod as an effective playoff game winning QB then your a poor judge of talent.

Tyrod is nothing but a back up QB and we have seen all the tricks in his bag.This is Doug Flutie all over again.It took teams about 10 games to totally figure him out and he will never be a difference maker in this league.

You compare Tyrod to the last QB who took us to the playoffs and quietly led us to an 11-5 record in so doing. Then you say he "will never be a difference maker in this league." :doh:

Edited by Felonious Monk

Osweiler is a gigantic QB. He's already taken a beating in the short period of time he's been starting. He's not statuesque, but he is a humongous target for defenders when he's in the pocket. Taylor may be short, but he can move due to his overall agility and athleticism. Running QBs carry their own risks when they escape the pocket. But how long can Osweiler withstand the battering before he suffers a serious injury? I'd rather pay the small but mobile guy than the giant who will be taking a thumping every week. It's almost a revisitation to Flutie vs Johnson.

For our team - TT. For Denver BO. Same offensive coordinator - another year gelling with your receivers etc. This kind of stuff goes a long way.

Denver could use upgrades at RB, we could use some upgrades at WR.

You compare Tyrod to the last QB who took us to the playoffs and quietly led us to an 11-5 record in so doing. Then you say he "will never be a difference maker in this league." :doh:

Had a perfect QB rating in his last start before we got rid of him too....

Tm Cmp Att Yds TD Int Lng Att Yds TD Lng Doug Flutie BUF 20 25 366 3 0 48 8 31 0 16

Tyrod.

I like Osweiler. I think he is good. But Tyrod has the ability to make big plays with his arm and legs. He doesn't take sacks, he doesn't turn the ball over. Whats not to like? I think he is extremely close to being Russel Wilson

Against oakland this year when Brock was sacked 5 times, I'm willing to be Tyrod wins that game because he can escape those sacks more often than not

I agree with Tyrod as the choice at this point with a limited number of games in hand to evaluate either player. As you point out Tyrod can do special things with his arms and legs, hebprotects the ball well and is very accurate.

However you cannot say that his legs always get him out of trouble. He has been sacked 34 times in 13 games or 2.6 sacks/gm. He was sacked 3 or more times in 6 of his games. Most notable 1st NE game 8 sacks, TEN 4 sacks, NYJ 4 sacks, WAS 5 sacks.

This is not a rip Tyrod thread. Nor is it a "Brock is the next Flacco" thread. I'm not professional scout (and if anyone here is, please let me know since I'd love to hear your opinion), but I've watched Tyrod's 13 NFL starts and Brock's 6 NFL starts. I like what Tyrod's shown, but I'm with Whaley on this one -- it's too soon to commit big money/years to him. Fortunately there's another year to decide. But there isn't with Osweiler. He's a free agent after this season, and the Broncos don't know what to do. (Thinking here in Colorado is that they'll franchise Vonn Miller and see what they can do after that.)

So my question is this: would you go after Brock in the offseason, maybe signing him to a long-term Kaep-type deal? Or would you stick with Tyrod, maybe bringing in a 3rd round pick as insurance? My opinion: I like what I've seen from Osweiler more than what I've seen from Tyrod. Yes, part of it is the half foot of height (a big part). Osweiler has the arm and can make all the throws to all parts of the field. I understand Tyrod has a higher QB rating. I don't really care about that (I do think it's a useful stat, but it has it's limitations.). I see Tyrod as an exciting QB who does several important things really well: avoiding bad decisions, making the long throws to the outside, using his legs to make things happen. But I see more upside with Brock. He really has had an impressive debut, and it's telling that an apparently healthy Peyton is nowhere near seeing the field again in a Broncos uniform.

So objectively ... which would you prefer to hitch the Bills wagon too for the next 4 or 5 years?

Neither. A three year contract is the max I would give either guy to prove that they are truly a franchise QB.

Tyrod is nothing but a back up QB and we have seen all the tricks in his bag.This is Doug Flutie all over again.It took teams about 10 games to totally figure him out and he will never be a difference maker in this league.Sorry to be a wet blanket but if anyone here sees Tyrod as an effective playoff game winning QB then your a poor judge of talent.

He's tough, throws an accurate long ball is extremely mobile and has low mileage. Get him a more imaginative OC and who knows what he can do.

Osweiler is tall.

My main concern with signing Osweiler to a long term deal is that he's already under contract with another team. I think that can be considered tampering and come with hefty fines and league punishment similar to crippling punishments levied on the Patriots in years past. For that reason and because I'm generally leery of Caucasian quarterbacks I'd extend this Tyrod guy that everybody is talking about so much this season.

Wasn't Denver effectively trying to answer this very question this past offseason when they, at Kubiak's urging, reportedly tried to sign Taylor to a better offer than what he ultimately got with the Bills?

Edited by transient

There is no way Elway is going to let him go ! Especially with a aging Peyton Manning .

Manning may have one more year left & no one even knows that . Elway may just let him go & continue into the future with Oswieler at the helm & no one could blame him .

But seeing him in a Bills uni with Rex at the helm & having his guy in Tyrod is nothing but a pipe dream !!!