Bills Release Mulligan and Promote O'Leary

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I know Mulligan has struggled with some things, but it seemed like the coaches liked him. Hope that means O'Leary has been showing improvement over time.

Hmm, wonder if another team may have shown interest in O'Leary and the Bills made the move before he could be signed.

can O'leary go to the the Bills and say X team wants to sign me to the 53, if you do i will stay? And by can he, i mean is that acceptable practice ...honor amongst thieves and all that.

also, does he have PS eligibility left?

Funny timing as Mulligan had a pretty good day against the Texans blocking, and drew the double on Clays TD

Edited by plenzmd1

can O'leary go to the the Bills and say X team wants to sign me to the 53, if you do i will stay? And by can he, i mean is that acceptable practice ...honor amongst thieves and all that.

Funny timing as Mulligan had a pretty good day against the Texans blocking, and drew the double on Clays TD

Yeah Mulligan draws double teams. :lol: Leave Clay wide open...No mistake there.

Another head scratcher. O'Leary showed NOTHING in the pre-season. While I was not a Mulligan fan, I don't get activating O'Leary over him for the biggest game of the year.

Why would you, or any of us for that matter, with no access to closed practices?

Another head scratcher. O'Leary showed NOTHING in the pre-season. While I was not a Mulligan fan, I don't get activating O'Leary over him for the biggest game of the year.

Mulligan's future is capped, and there's ample upside to O'Leary. You don't want to lose him to another team if he was being poached. Bills don't have another Watt on the schedule. Mulligan is expendable now, especially after Mills looked decent..

did he or did he not draw a double team :thumbsup: I mean, after all the big splash plays he has produced this year, be nuts to not double him.

Well now Belichick can IR Gronk and pickup their new Star at TE. :lol:

@mikerodak

Matthew Mulligan had played in 26 percent of snaps this season for the Bills and was in the locker room Tuesday morning. Surprise cut.

@JoeBuscaglia

Joe Buscaglia Retweeted Joe Tauriello

I wonder if some team came sniffing around O'Leary and the #Bills didn't want to lose him.

i did not watch all 22 or the game again but i did see Mulligan get abused once and it caused the Bills to lose a big chunk of yards.

Mulligan's future is capped, and there's ample upside to O'Leary. You don't want to lose him to another team if he was being poached. Bills don't have another Watt on the schedule. Mulligan is expendable now, especially after Mills looked decent..

it could be that Henderson is healthy so they will use him or Mills as extra blocker instead of mulligan when needed and they must have no faith in mulligan to catch passes.

it could be that Henderson is healthy so they will use him or Mills as extra blocker instead of mulligan when needed and they must have no faith in mulligan to catch passes.

That's my guess too. I didn't see Mulligan more than an extra OL, so why not just put in the real tackle eligible OL instead of Mulligan? Roman wasn't afraid to line up Glenn on the right side either.

did he or did he not draw a double team :thumbsup: I mean, after all the big splash plays he has produced this year, be nuts to not double him.

the Texans were just stupid on that play. Apparently they fell asleep in film study and didn't realize mulligan isn't the go-to guy on a crucial game winning TD. But anyone could have run that route.

I will miss Mulligan trying to block Clowney 1-on-1.

At least that nightmare will always be etched in my memory.

Gragg was abused by Clowney on a block. It couldn't have been any worse than that.

Mulligan must've dug himself a hole he (and his steam shovel) couldn't get out of with this coaching staff.

Possibly. But who has a better Ping Pong game?

This has to be a move to improve special teams

I think that was Gragg...

Gragg was abused by Clowney on a block. It couldn't have been any worse than that.

Possibly. But who has a better Ping Pong game?

I am thinking of Mulligan, who was so overmatched that he held every part of Clowney's body, before then holding his neck and pulling him to the ground. That was the play where TT completed a great pass over the middle to Sammy, but it was called back for a hold.

But to be fair to both Mulligan and Gragg, putting a TE to block Clowney is a tough assignment.

I can speculate. I'm a fan, that's my job.

Well done! clap.gif

Well now Belichick can IR Gronk and pickup their new Star at TE. :lol:

@mikerodak

Matthew Mulligan had played in 26 percent of snaps this season for the Bills and was in the locker room Tuesday morning. Surprise cut.

@JoeBuscaglia

Joe Buscaglia Retweeted Joe Tauriello

I wonder if some team came sniffing around O'Leary and the #Bills didn't want to lose him.

@mikerodak

Mike Rodak Retweeted Joe Buscaglia

Indeed, there were some teams fishing around O’Leary, I’m told.

Serious question: who is the backup long snapper now?

It was Mulligan.

It appears that Ryan Groy did some long snapping at the 2014 Shrine game and showed well; he must be the new emergency LS.

Not much to worry about since teams can no longer line up over and obliterate Long Snappers.

For those unfamiliar with the process, when a player is on a team's practice squad and another team is interested in signing him and putting him on their active 53 man roster, which they would have to do, they notify the player's agent and make him a contract offer as if a FA.

The agent then tells the player as well as the team he is on. Like in this case they would notify Whaley about the contract. If the player wants to stay on the Bills if the money is similar, the Bills can then do what they did with O'Leary, sign him to the active 53. It would always be the player's choice which team he wants to play for. They may even have to up the ante a little depending on how much the player likes it there and how much chance there is on the new team to play.

Teams will often "sniff" around on a player and talk to his agent about what are the chances. Since they are practice squad this would not be tampering of any kind. It's possible that the Bills knew of this sniffing around and didn't even want to get to the chance that a formal offer and contract had been made so they activated OLeary to the 53 as a preemptive strike.

And in this scenario it wouldn't be the player's choice unless he didn't want to risk being on any team. It's a substantial raise in pay.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Not much to worry about since teams can no longer line up over and obliterate Long Snappers.

True that it's a remote possibility, but since they cover punts, there's always the chance, and I really don't want to be in a situation where XPs, FGs, and punts aren't an option.

As long as there's someone that can snap for a FG if necessary (and it appears that there is), we're good to go.

This makes a lot of sense - especially if teams were interested in signing O'Leary off our practice squad.