Rex was awful- AGAIN

billsfan_34

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RR has been a big disappointment. I guess I put too much stock in the Jets occasionally beating NE when he was NY's HC.

I couldn't make it through all ten previous pages of this thread, but I noticed that many posters pointed out the complete organizational breakdown WRT replay challenges, total lack of pass rush and general disorganization/lack of discipline (#1 in NFL in penalties by a wide margin). All of those things infuriated me but another aspect of the game that really bothered me was the gutlessness and lack of strategic understanding of the modern NFL game that lead to punting twice in Chiefs territory; on both occasions the Chiefs made it back to the Bills' last line of scrimmage within a couple of plays and scored on that possession.

Can we all just agree that Rex Ryan was a bad hire!

His big mouth usually only manages to fire up the opposing team and give them bulletin board material to motivate them to shut him up.

The Penalties! The team did manage to get better the previous three games only screw up the most important game of the season 9 for 91 yards

The cover over pressure scheme Ryan has been running with his defense has stunk all year, save one game when he changed it for the second Patriots game.

Ryan has trouble managing a game, and making the right flag calls.

I highly doubt this team will ever see the playoffs with Rex Ryan as the head coach!

Rex Ryan might be the worst head coach I've seen at practicing good situational football. He's regularly on the losing end of opportunities to put his team in a place to win, his team continues to regress in all phases, and he resides over a defense that was among the tops in the NFL last year ready to take a next step.

It'd be hard to to fire him if this continues, this roster is to talented to perform Ike they do.

Too many people are positing that someone in "the booth" must tell Rex to challenge the call. That is bullsh!t. Sometimes you won't have time to see a replay, so your criteria cannot be simply "WILL THEY OVERTURN IT?" You must create criteria to throw the challenge flag that will not be a waste of a timeout otherwise, because you may need to throw the flag when the outcome is in doubt. Good coaches know this, and do it, Rex does not.

In real time, I said the pass to Maclin was not a catch. You don't need to wait for a replay there to throw the flag. It's a HUGE play, and you need to kill the KC momentum anyway, so use the TO to get the crowd to cool off a bit, take the mo away from the Chefs, and get your defense set.

The challenge flag on Woods was so $%^&ing stupid it defies logic. But it was the same as the Jets 9-yard pass on 2nd and 10 that Ryan challenged last week. It was upheld, but if the Jets convert the third down, it was a wasted challenge. Ryan did a similar play earlier in the year. In both cases the defense held, but I took a lot of heat in the game day thread because most people think it's a good challenge if you win the challenge.

The Hogan challenge was another no brainer. You needed that first down and should have called a TO there anyway, so throw the flag. But Ryan and Roman seem incapable of thinking beyond the immediate play. That's why we always lose. We play coaches who are thinking plays ahead, while we have coaches who can barely handle the immediate play.

We had 2nd and 9 twice in Chefs territory after 1 yard runs on 1st down. We call pass plays on 2nd and 3rd, both times, and all 4 fall incomplete. We then punt on 4th and 9 in Chefs territory, failing to have set ourselves up for possibly manageable 4th down. Ryan and Roman were terrible today, and Thurman? Don't get me started.

A good HC has someone upstairs to let him know if he should review. You delegate that. It shouldn't just be up to him That's on Rex. Poor organizational skills on his part.

This guy has an excuse for everything- I am sick of it the quicker hes gone the better

Rex Ryan might be the worst head coach I've seen at practicing good situational football. He's regularly on the losing end of opportunities to put his team in a place to win, his team continues to regress in all phases, and he resides over a defense that was among the tops in the NFL last year ready to take a next step.

It'd be hard to to fire him if this continues, this roster is to talented to perform Ike they do.

Whaley has to be pissed because he didnt hire the bafoon, that was the pegula lovefest for him

If what you are watching is Hogan's back, and not his front (I have no idea what angle he had) you would not have seen whether he had it as a catch or not live. On TV is a completely different viewpoint. And again, there are a million things HC do on the sidelines besides watching the plays. I don't know if he was watching live or not. It seems very hard for me to believe that he was watching and had a good angle on the play live and still didn't challenge it. If that is what happened he blew the defensive game and the offensive game.

IIRC, rex was watching his front.

Edited by dave mcbride

The inability to grasp the proper use of the replay challenge system, like the well-demonstrated inability to manage the game clock, speaks volumes about the general inadequacy of Rex and his staff. In a league which is designed, through the salary cap and the draft, to tend toward personnel parity, it's essential to maximize non-personnel-related opportunities. Those are the margins on which most games are won and lost.

By and large, Rex and his staff have failed in this regard. While initial game plans on offense and defense have generally seemed sound, any advantages that the Bills have won through early game tactics have dissipated later on; there's no arguing that they routinely find themselves outmanoeuvred by opposing coaches' in-game's adjustments. And the below-average performance in clock management and taking advantage of replay further compounds the problem.

In short, we're usually outcoached in most aspects of gameday management. And while I think that the player personnel is pretty good - probably above-average - it's not so superlative as to overcome Rex's staff's inability to win along the margins.

The worst part is that Rex has been doing this long enough that there's no reason to believe that he's going to learn and evolve. He is what he is. And I sincerely doubt that what he is can lead a team to a Super Bowl in today's game, or even to sustained winning seasons.

The REAL worst part is there's no way the Pegulas move on from him until the end of next season, at the earliest.

The inability to grasp the proper use of the replay challenge system, like the well-demonstrated inability to manage the game clock, speaks volumes about the general inadequacy of Rex and his staff. In a league which is designed, through the salary cap and the draft, to tend toward personnel parity, it's essential to maximize non-personnel-related opportunities. Those are the margins on which most games are won and lost.

By and large, Rex and his staff have failed in this regard. While initial game plans on offense and defense have generally seemed sound, any advantages that the Bills have won through early game tactics have dissipated later on; there's no arguing that they routinely find themselves outmanoeuvred by opposing coaches' in-game's adjustments. And the below-average performance in clock management and taking advantage of replay further compounds the problem.

In short, we're usually outcoached in most aspects of gameday management. And while I think that the player personnel is pretty good - probably above-average - it's not so superlative as to overcome Rex's staff's inability to win along the margins.

The worst part is that Rex has been doing this long enough that there's no reason to believe that he's going to learn and evolve. He is what he is. And I sincerely doubt that what he is can lead a team to a Super Bowl in today's game, or even to sustained winning seasons.

The REAL worst part is there's no way the Pegulas move on from him until the end of next season, at the earliest.

The BEST part is we all get to suffer 16 together - cheers! In all seriousness, The Pegulas wont hesitate to can him at then end of the season. Russ Brandon was the other one that consulted and had a love fest for the guy. Its time for him to go as well. For a person who was delegated back to the financial side he still has his hands in the cookie jar. I feel bad for Whaley, this isnt on him at all.

The BEST part is we all get to suffer 16 together - cheers! In all seriousness, The Pegulas wont hesitate to can him at then end of the season. Russ Brandon was the other one that consulted and had a love fest for the guy. Its time for him to go as well. For a person who was delegated back to the financial side he still has his hands in the cookie jar. I feel bad for Whaley, this isnt on him at all.

There is no way the Pegulas will fire Rex at the end of the season.

As for Whaley, this is on him as much as anyone else.

In his own words:

“I knew when he started talking about how he wanted to build a team and I could complete his sentences and he could complete mine in how we want the Buffalo Bills to look we were on the same page.”

“It was funny because at the start of the process Kim and Terry asked me who my favorite was and I said, ‘You can’t go in with any preconceived notions of what you want and what you like. You’ve got to go in with an open mind so you don’t have any biases,’” said Whaley. “And at that point Kim said, ‘Well then how do you know?’ I said, ‘Unfortunately it’s like when I asked people who were married and I was single. How do you know? You just know.’ And when we got to that point we all looked at each other and knew that Rex was the guy who we wanted to be our next head coach.”

Whaley fell in love with Rex immediately while interviewing him. If Rex goes, Whaley should follow him out the door.

There is no way the Pegulas will fire Rex at the end of the season.

As for Whaley, this is on him as much as anyone else.

In his own words:

I knew when he started talking about how he wanted to build a team and I could complete his sentences and he could complete mine in how we want the Buffalo Bills to look we were on the same page.

It was funny because at the start of the process Kim and Terry asked me who my favorite was and I said, You cant go in with any preconceived notions of what you want and what you like. Youve got to go in with an open mind so you dont have any biases, said Whaley. And at that point Kim said, Well then how do you know? I said, Unfortunately its like when I asked people who were married and I was single. How do you know? You just know. And when we got to that point we all looked at each other and knew that Rex was the guy who we wanted to be our next head coach.

Whaley fell in love with Rex immediately while interviewing him. If Rex goes, Whaley should follow him out the door.

I dont remember all that so thank you- I only remembered the Pegulas stroking this guy. I agree and retract my statement- Whaley should definitely go as well.

I'm now officially off the Rex Bandwagon.

The lack of challenges on calls that were obviously bad was maddening.

The D has been a disappointment all year (sans 2nd Pats game).

I have to imagine a Schwartz-Roman or H.Jackson-Roman combo would have produced more wins to this point than a Ryan-Roman combo has.

Edited by hondo in seattle

If I am Terry Pugula I am not putting up with this nonsense anymore. I would suspend Rex for 1 week he would have to stay home away from the stadium. Roman would run the team. This is a Billion dollar franchise. If there is not a HD TV in the Bills both with the CBS feed then this is a problem. I don't care if you got to send a equipment manager down to the local Walmart in Kanas City and buy a TV for use in the booth. Don't depend on or count on the local team to put replays up. This is not that hard and it's should be a priority. These games are too important to be working in the blind. If there was someone in the booth and they did have the CBS feed and did not tell Rex then this guy should be fired. There needs to be someone in the booth or someone, some where with direct communication to Rex to let him know what is going on and when to challenge. If I can sit at home and see this and know what the right thing to do is. Then it is really inexcusable that the Bills can't do this. The person who is watching the local CBS feed like we are at home will have a important job and this should be his only job. Do you think the patriots leave it to chance that the local team will give them the replays. So if I'm Terry Pugula I want a investigation on what really happened.

We are losing games because of game mismanagement that can easily be corrected.

Rex should be suspended to make him learn a lesson on his total cluster he is running. Maybe a suspension will make him realize that he needs to do a better job. Other things that bother me concerning game preparation are not practicing in practice each week how to hurry to the line of scrimmage to get a play off that was close and it might get a red flag by the other coach. This is about attention to detail also Why Tyrod has to get plays from the sidelines and wait for them while there in a 2 minute drill. Again WTF are we doing all week during practice. Is Tyrod incapable

of calling his own plays and running the offense with out getting plays from the side lines. Again this is called game preparation. I see so much that is wrong and it all starts with Rex. Maybe a 1 game suspension with pay and Rex takes a step back from it all will make him realize he can do a better job. These things I just mentioned need to be brought up and discussed with Rex and to make him realize he can do a better job. Some times being called out and suspended can have a positive effect. I like Rex the man, but what I don't like is what he is allowing to happen. If I'm Terry Pugula that's what I would be doing on this Monday morning.

If I am Terry Pugula I am not putting up with this nonsense anymore. I would suspend Rex for 1 week he would have to stay home away from the stadium. Roman would run the team. This is a Billion dollar franchise. If there is not a HD TV in the Bills both with the CBS feed then this is a problem. I don't care if you got to send a equipment manager down to the local Walmart in Kanas City and buy a TV for use in the booth. Don't depend on or count on the local team to put replays up. This is not that hard and it's should be a priority. These games are too important to be working in the blind. If there was someone in the booth and they did have the CBS feed and did not tell Rex then this guy should be fired. There needs to be someone in the booth or someone, some where with direct communication to Rex to let him know what is going on and when to challenge. If I can sit at home and see this and know what the right thing to do is. Then it is really inexcusable that the Bills can't do this. The person who is watching the local CBS feed like we are at home will have a important job and this should be his only job. Do you think the patriots leave it to chance that the local team will give them the replays. So if I'm Terry Pugula I want a investigation on what really happened.

We are losing games because of game mismanagement that can easily be corrected.

Rex should be suspended to make him learn a lesson on his total cluster he is running. Maybe a suspension will make him realize that he needs to do a better job. Other things that bother me concerning game preparation are not practicing in practice each week how to hurry to the line of scrimmage to get a play off that was close and it might get a red flag by the other coach. This is about attention to detail also Why Tyrod has to get plays from the sidelines and wait for them while there in a 2 minute drill. Again WTF are we doing all week during practice. Is Tyrod incapable

of calling his own plays and running the offense with out getting plays from the side lines. Again this is called game preparation. I see so much that is wrong and it all starts with Rex. Maybe a 1 game suspension with pay and Rex takes a step back from it all will make him realize he can do a better job. These things I just mentioned need to be brought up and discussed with Rex and to make him realize he can do a better job. Some times being called out and suspended can have a positive effect. I like Rex the man, but what I don't like is what he is allowing to happen. If I'm Terry Pugula that's what I would be doing on this Monday morning.

I agree with everything except suspending Rex. Once you do that then the whole team is lost. Furthermore, no coach will want to come here knowing that they can get suspended. Its probably in his contract you cant anyways.

I'm now officially off the Rex Bandwagon.

The lack of challenges on calls that were obviously bad was maddening.

The D has been a disappointment all year (sans 2nd Pats game).

I have to imagine a Schwartz-Roman or H.Jackson-Roman combo would have produced more wins to this point than a Ryan-Roman combo has.

We live in sports town hell

I was VERY hopeful concerning Ryan...

I'm not-so-much any longer...

I think there have been obstacles for Rex...Injuries and such...What NFL team does not have to deal with some adversity though? Anyway...Over-all, I do think this team has underachieved...It's the inconsistencies in performances, especially on Defense, that are disappointing me...The Offensive inconsistencies were expected...But this Defense was supposed to be the team's strength...And it's been really up and down...Hold Brady to 20 points in NE then go on the road and get steamrolled by Alex Smith...Play decent on Defense vs Jacksonville but give-up a nine minute drive to start the 2nd half...then allow the game deciding score when you finally get the lead back and you have to stop them...Miss a key tackle vs the Giants that results in the game defining TD...Play terrible at home vs.Cincy and NE...Again...AT HOME...We were told Cincy was basically unstoppable...And no question they are very good...But Houston figured out a way to slow them WAY down...in Cincy!...Rex comes up with nothing at home...Just nothing...And it's not really about being a top 5 Defense again...It's a stop here and a stop there that would have made a HUGE difference in the season...Rex's promise to us was a top NFL defense...He has really fallen WAY short in that area...

I certainly give him a pass on a lot of the Offensive woes...The Bills do not have a top QB...Taylor is still learning, and he missed two games...I think overall the hiring of Roman is the best thing Rex could have done for this Offense...The problems come when they are not gashing the opponents on the ground and are forced to rely too much on TT...But again, to an extent, that was expected...

The problems with penalties and game management have been another mark against Rex...I don't expect him to be an Offensive expert...I do expect him to see the Bills have terrible problems when urgency is necessary on Offense...

So...In summary...Not happy at all with Rex...If I was Pagula I would fire him after the season unless he wins out and makes the Playoffs...But I do recognize the problems that will cause...So I'm not calling for him to be fired...I know that's not going to happen...I'm just saying that's what I would do...I thought Rex could be the kind of HC that inspires big wins...That quite simply has not happened...Where exactly are the Bills going if they can't beat even decent teams at Home? The Bills went into this season with many "experts" saying that they have one of the most talented rosters in the league from 1-53...Rex has done little to nothing with that talent on the field...And quite honestly he's gotten better QB play than most of us expected...Big thumbs down for Rex to this point...BIG thumbs down... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Too many people are positing that someone in "the booth" must tell Rex to challenge the call. That is bullsh!t. Sometimes you won't have time to see a replay, so your criteria cannot be simply "WILL THEY OVERTURN IT?" You must create criteria to throw the challenge flag that will not be a waste of a timeout otherwise, because you may need to throw the flag when the outcome is in doubt. Good coaches know this, and do it, Rex does not.

In real time, I said the pass to Maclin was not a catch. You don't need to wait for a replay there to throw the flag. It's a HUGE play, and you need to kill the KC momentum anyway, so use the TO to get the crowd to cool off a bit, take the mo away from the Chefs, and get your defense set.

The challenge flag on Woods was so $%^&ing stupid it defies logic. But it was the same as the Jets 9-yard pass on 2nd and 10 that Ryan challenged last week. It was upheld, but if the Jets convert the third down, it was a wasted challenge. Ryan did a similar play earlier in the year. In both cases the defense held, but I took a lot of heat in the game day thread because most people think it's a good challenge if you win the challenge.

The Hogan challenge was another no brainer. You needed that first down and should have called a TO there anyway, so throw the flag. But Ryan and Roman seem incapable of thinking beyond the immediate play. That's why we always lose. We play coaches who are thinking plays ahead, while we have coaches who can barely handle the immediate play.

We had 2nd and 9 twice in Chefs territory after 1 yard runs on 1st down. We call pass plays on 2nd and 3rd, both times, and all 4 fall incomplete. We then punt on 4th and 9 in Chefs territory, failing to have set ourselves up for possibly manageable 4th down. Ryan and Roman were terrible today, and Thurman? Don't get me started.

See the other thread - that Hogan "catch" wasn't a catch after all. The officials made the right call, and it wouldn't have been overturned.

Here you go: https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/671162838434598913/pu/vid/1280x720/_p3qiq3a2Ej8QgvE.mp4. Ball is clearly coming out as his second foot is coming down. No way does that get overturned.

Hogan makes a catch, puts two feet on the ground (a football move) and doesn't lose control until the ball hits the turf. So why is that not a catch? The ball did not come loose on the second step. I think you are seeing the KC defenders helmet and you think it's the football coming loose. But it is true that you never know what a ref thinks.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Hogan makes a catch, puts two feet on the ground (a football move) and doesn't lose control until the ball hits the turf. So why is that not a catch? The ball did not come loose on the second step. I think you are seeing the KC defenders helmet and you think it's the football coming loose. But it is true that you never know what a ref thinks.

It's not about 2 feet down - it's about maintaining control long enough to become a runner and make a move that's not a continuation of the catch process (i.e., a football move). I don't love the rule, but it is what it is. Since it's iffy - and only a homer would think it wasn't - it's simply not going to be overturned. If it had been ruled a catch, it would have probably held up that way. But it wasn't.

The bottom line - Hogan let it get knocked loose. The DB got his helmet on the ball.

Here you go: https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/671162838434598913/pu/vid/1280x720/_p3qiq3a2Ej8QgvE.mp4. Ball is clearly coming out as his second foot is coming down. No way does that get overturned.

That's a legit catch all day long and every time.

The ball comes out as his 3rd step occurs, not his 4th, and right at that moment.

Two steps make it a football move.

That's a legit catch all day long and every time.

Two steps make it a football move.

As I said elsewhere, two steps doesn't make it a football move. Otherwise Dez Bryant would have caught that ball. It's not about the number of steps, it's about whether the receiver is perceived to be coming out of the catch process and moving to the next stage of the play. That didn't happen here, or more precisely it was iffy enough that it wasn't going to be overturned. And it was iffy - only a homer would think otherwise. In any event, the ground didn't cause the fumble because it was already coming out. I don't like the rule that much, but it is what it is. If he hangs onto it, we're not having this discussion.

I think the complications arise from the "have 2 feet down plus make a football move" requirement. Would it not be less complicated if they removed the make a football part and just require to have 2 feet down?

I'm down with that. The problem is that massive increase in the number of WR fumbles that'll occur, and since the league wants offense, they won't do it.

Rex is already a goner. We know the type of coach he is, and it's not a good one. Whether he's gone in one year or three is the big question.

hopefully after this season. Roman as HC. Bring in Schwartz as DC. Terrible waste of defensive talent. Get Stafford in FA.