Failed Expectations, Rex Ryan is not a leader of men

He hasn't done anything to make me feel the way I do about why the team has performed the way it has.

If we had to make a list of reasons we lost, Rex aint on it.

We lost because of the dropoffs (in order):

From TT to EJ

From Aaron Williams to Duke

From Sammy to Woods

From Karlos to Boom

From Harvin to Hogan

Why anyone wants to blame the coach is beyond me.

Aside from the fact that he's supposed to be a defensive guru, and we look like crap on D compared to last year, I just generally dislike loud-mouth blow hards. I'll be the first to admit that the injuries are a huge factor, but the guy seems to work too hard to be likeable and he loves the camera. He's one hell of a salesman, but his team has a lot of talent (regardless of injuries), and they have a losing record and just lost to a team that came in with a 1-5 record. Yeah, there's that pesky bottom line.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex enters the scene and says "Get ready Buffalo, you're going to the Playoffs". Sounds good. Can anybody imagine being promoted to a high level position in a company and declaring within 7-8 months you will achieve something the company hasn't achieved in 15 years? Setting those expectations out of the gate, it just doesn't seem like a very mature talking point. What if you fail to reach this unlikely goal? What out do you have? We already know how this will play with Rex, just see the Jets Super Bowl guarantees . "I expect my team to _____ every year and I'm not afraid to say it". Ok Rex, sounds good. Thanks for the conditional statement after the emphatic declaration. Personally, I don't think I would do so well if I set my bosses expectations at the moon, barely got off the ground, and then conditioned it with "well, I like to aim high, my bad".

Then we hear this consistent phrase "Players coach". Players can say whatever they want, "I'm not going to put a muzzle on my players". Reports from last year had Jets players discussing Ryan not holding the team accountable. Multiple players backed these reports up. At the time the Bills fan base was still in Rex Ryan dreamland so we didn't even consider the possibility of those comments having merit. Say what you want, not holding people accountable.... In the corporate world that is what you call a friend boss. It's a guy that does more to be liked than he does to bring the best out of his team. In my career I have had one person who maximized my ability that I also liked, but I assure you that person did not care one bit if I in fact liked them, it was just a by product of the respect I had for them. It's a coaches/bosses job to bring accountability, leadership, and the best out of people. Do you think coaches saying anything, players saying anything, and your main leader behaving more like a player than a coach is a functional leadership model?

I think players coaches can be successful. Sometimes when people buy in emotionally it can lead to incredible things both in business and in football, but a line needs to be drawn. Dick Vermeil was a players coach, Pete Carroll is a players coach. They both didn't run micromanaged top down military style teams, but they both also represented a consistent image of what leadership is. The players they had bought in emotionally. The emotion they put out was real. Rex and his words, they just don't feel like they're sincere. It reminds me of a guy that wouldn't stop talking about how he loves Sabres hockey and wants to buy a snow plow 5 minutes after moving so he can fit in and make people feel like he is one of them. Oh ya, that's right, Rex also wants to be our friend.

What I know of Rex Ryan. He could be a great coordinator, he could be a great TV analyst, but he should not be in a leadership position. Grandiose expectations go undelivered, accountability problems, need to be liked by all, no ability to learn from mistakes in behavior, and a scheme he is married to more than the players who play in it. I feel as strongly about knowing Ryan is not NFL HC material as any HC we have had since the playoff drought. He has been living off his coordinator days with extreme talent and the two AFC Championship runs.

that covers it !!!!!

Yes. He had the flu, and it was a fluke. We won on a punt return.

Haha!! Okay, I got it now Mrs. Ryan, I'm sorry I hurt you and your husbands feelings.

Never mind that the D shut down Rodgers that game and Mario finished it off with a strip sack of Rodgers which led to a safety.

Starting:

Quarterback

Wide Receiver 1

Wide Receiver 2

Strong Safety

DTackle (Captain)

Backup:

Running back

Even with all these players hurt, the Bills did enough to win today, in spite of two consecutive plays by the backup QB that dug them into a hole they'd have to claw their way out of.

I'm pissed that we gave up the go ahead touchdown and I'm pissed that we let them hold the ball for 9.5 minutes to start the third quarter, and that falls directly on Rex's D.

But Jesus.

Today had nothing to do with coaching.

Let me also add that Duke Williams is a !@#$ing liability and Corey Graham aint much better. We are suffering big time from Aaron Williams being out. If Bills fans should be concerned about one thing, it's that he recovers enough to rejoin this team. Because they need him badly.

I feel the same - pissed the D allowed the go ahead TD and allowed them to hold the ball most of the 3rd quarter. I have high expectations for the defense, especially after seeing them perform the last two years. I expect the QB's to play crappy at times because they aren't top notch in this league. Defense is supposed to carry this team, not our backup QB.

Edited by Azucho98

He hasn't done anything to make me feel the way I do about why the team has performed the way it has.

If we had to make a list of reasons we lost, Rex aint on it.

We lost because of the dropoffs (in order):

From TT to EJ

From Aaron Williams to Duke

From Sammy to Woods

From Karlos to Boom

From Harvin to Hogan

Why anyone wants to blame the coach is beyond me.

Stud post!

Coaching didn't lose jack today.......EJ did. You can't always force a college level QB to play good NFL football. Sometimes college boy just plain sucks, a lot like EJ.

IF the whole team was healthy today, we easily steamroll that piece of crap Jags team. It would have been a blowout.

Edited by PolishDave

Just like he did on the Jets sidelines last year. My favorite quote from last year was his "we will 1000% better in the second game against Buffalo" only to be beaten 38-3.

After finishing last year 4-12 I still don't get how he managed to get hired in Buffalo

He's one hell of a salesman...

the injuries to our O have crippled what Roman can do, but i'm concerned with his play calling this game, that put our O at a disadvantage prior to the snap.

and as far as the D goes, i'm concerned that we seem to do more reacting to an attack, rather than dictating where the opponent must go with the ball

i was very optimistic about this staff, and i think they're more surprised than anyone about what hasn't been accomplished. not very different than Marrone's far less experienced staff.

here's hoping they can avoid fighting with their neighbors over the bye week, and devote themselves to analyzing what needs fixing

I don't think the players respect Rex. To them, after Marrone, it probably looked pretty cool to have Rex coming to Buffalo. Then he was the fun guy at training camp. Now that they are struggling, they see nothing. They see a guy who can't change course. They see the Jets looking far better with less talent overall. They remember the circumstances of Rex's firing in Jersey.

I'm sure they like him, but I doubt they respect him as a great coach. They don't respect him as a leader like the pats see BB or the Cards see Arians. Or even Coughlin. Or Carroll.

I don't think the players respect Rex. To them, after Marrone, it probably looked pretty cool to have Rex coming to Buffalo. Then he was the fun guy at training camp. Now that they are struggling, they see nothing. They see a guy who can't change course. They see the Jets looking far better with less talent overall. They remember the circumstances of Rex's firing in Jersey.

I'm sure they like him, but I doubt they respect him as a great coach. They don't respect him as a leader like the pats see BB or the Cards see Arians. Or even Coughlin. Or Carroll.

Or this is just you projecting.

Say this is what you think of Rex but to pretend your opinion is what other's likely think is a bit much.

Ok let's take away the following players from the Pats.

Brady QB

Edelman wr

Amendola wr

Dion Lewis rb

Blount RB playing hurt like shady is

2 starting offensive linemen

One of there best run stuffers Like are Kyle Williams

The best starting safety Like are Williams

And one of the best corners, we don't have mckellvn

Let's see how any team would do.

I don't think are season is over by a long shot

Let's get are players back and then judge this team.

All this bring back Schwartz talk......yes, he should have been kept.......but Rex ego wouldn't allow that. The Bills are paying Schwartz $3 mil this year and next....to do nothing btw. Rex fired him. Wanted his buds from the Jets staff.....so Rex could call his own D plays.

Or this is just you projecting.

Say this is what you think of Rex but to pretend your opinion is what other's likely think is a bit much.

I was clearly presenting my opinion. My opinion is that is what they think.

This is what an opinion is.

Rex enters the scene and says "Get ready Buffalo, you're going to the Playoffs". Sounds good. Can anybody imagine being promoted to a high level position in a company and declaring within 7-8 months you will achieve something the company hasn't achieved in 15 years? Setting those expectations out of the gate, it just doesn't seem like a very mature talking point. What if you fail to reach this unlikely goal? What out do you have? We already know how this will play with Rex, just see the Jets Super Bowl guarantees . "I expect my team to _____ every year and I'm not afraid to say it". Ok Rex, sounds good. Thanks for the conditional statement after the emphatic declaration. Personally, I don't think I would do so well if I set my bosses expectations at the moon, barely got off the ground, and then conditioned it with "well, I like to aim high, my bad".

Then we hear this consistent phrase "Players coach". Players can say whatever they want, "I'm not going to put a muzzle on my players". Reports from last year had Jets players discussing Ryan not holding the team accountable. Multiple players backed these reports up. At the time the Bills fan base was still in Rex Ryan dreamland so we didn't even consider the possibility of those comments having merit. Say what you want, not holding people accountable.... In the corporate world that is what you call a friend boss. It's a guy that does more to be liked than he does to bring the best out of his team. In my career I have had one person who maximized my ability that I also liked, but I assure you that person did not care one bit if I in fact liked them, it was just a by product of the respect I had for them. It's a coaches/bosses job to bring accountability, leadership, and the best out of people. Do you think coaches saying anything, players saying anything, and your main leader behaving more like a player than a coach is a functional leadership model?

I think players coaches can be successful. Sometimes when people buy in emotionally it can lead to incredible things both in business and in football, but a line needs to be drawn. Dick Vermeil was a players coach, Pete Carroll is a players coach. They both didn't run micromanaged top down military style teams, but they both also represented a consistent image of what leadership is. The players they had bought in emotionally. The emotion they put out was real. Rex and his words, they just don't feel like they're sincere. It reminds me of a guy that wouldn't stop talking about how he loves Sabres hockey and wants to buy a snow plow 5 minutes after moving so he can fit in and make people feel like he is one of them. Oh ya, that's right, Rex also wants to be our friend.

What I know of Rex Ryan. He could be a great coordinator, he could be a great TV analyst, but he should not be in a leadership position. Grandiose expectations go undelivered, accountability problems, need to be liked by all, no ability to learn from mistakes in behavior, and a scheme he is married to more than the players who play in it. I feel as strongly about knowing Ryan is not NFL HC material as any HC we have had since the playoff drought. He has been living off his coordinator days with extreme talent and the two AFC Championship runs.

This was very well thought out and really is nothing but the truth. If people cant see all this so be it. Maybe I am partial because I never liked the Rex hire in the first place. I knew what he was. We are all so shell shocked from the past 15 years that some grab onto any glimmer of hope--not that there is anything wrong with that but its where we are. Buffalo right now is sports town hell and we cannot get a break or poor decisions are constantly made.

This was very well thought out and really is nothing but the truth. If people cant see all this so be it. Maybe I am partial because I never liked the Rex hire in the first place. I knew what he was. We are all so shell shocked from the past 15 years that some grab onto any glimmer of hope--not that there is anything wrong with that but its where we are. Buffalo right now is sports town hell and we cannot get a break or poor decisions are constantly made.

It's a lot of deep thought for a game decided by three points wherein our QB gave the opposition 14 points...in CONSECUTIVE PLAYS.

It's a lot of deep thought for a game decided by three points wherein our QB gave the opposition 14 points...in CONSECUTIVE PLAYS.

There is that element to it for sure. 4 turnovers total, penalties, and some really poor coaching all the way around can cause these kinds of posts. For some it makes them feel a little better. It sucks for all of us to lose like we did today and many other games. Its like groundhog day.

are his plans poorly conceived, poorly executed, or both?

i think it's been a bit of both.

Ryan's worst trait may be that he believes this also - and candidly shares that opinion with his players.

a strong coach shouldn't allow doubts about his ability to succeed to creep into his players minds.

the gameplan must be the gospel.

players must have faith in the gospel and the men who deliver it.

they must be transformed into zealots who believe that if they communicate and execute as told - they will achieve their greatest goal.

falling short is the result of their lack of faith - never the gospel!

i can't think of a successful football coach who didn't approach his players in this way.. that individually they are worthless, and their only shot at greatness is as a team.

as fans, we have the luxury of discussing the merits of the 'gospel' as it's being preached, but as the leader of the team - from which all things flow - Rex doesn't have that luxury.

he needs to stop handing out participation awards, and start seriously questioning his players desire to win.

behind closed doors, he and his staff can question the 'gospel'

Ok let's take away the following players from the Pats.

Brady QB

Edelman wr

Amendola wr

Dion Lewis rb

Blount RB playing hurt like shady is

2 starting offensive linemen

One of there best run stuffers Like are Kyle Williams

The best starting safety Like are Williams

And one of the best corners, we don't have mckellvn

Let's see how any team would do.

I don't think are season is over by a long shot

Let's get are players back and then judge this team.

Another member who slept thru English class! It's OUR team sucks! OUR coach sucks! OUR QB sucks!

Dear god people. I'm not putting this loss on Rex. The defense performed well. I also expect an uptick in the 2nd half of the season. This thread isn't about why we lost to the Jaguars, it's about if our coach should be a coach. Can he inspire people? Is his style something that can last over a length of time? I don't see it. Again, not about today. Rex will be here next year, so get ready Buffalo, you're going to the playoffs! How will you respond the next time? That's just a small example of how I see this getting old fast unless he figures something out that is not obvious to me. His behavior says I want to be a trend setter but his performance since 2011 is 29-42. I liken the situation in a roundabout way to Chip Kelly. He's basically the polar opposite of Ryan, but like Ryan he wants to different. System offense, willing to cut or trade high value players, total control, bordering on difficult to play for, not proven to be effective. Ryan is system defense, very little control, bordering on being to easy to play for, and certainly for a long time now, not proven to be effective. At which point are the Gurus no longer Gurus and just coaches deviating from the norm and not succeeding in doing so?

Edited by KzooMike

Aside from the fact that he's supposed to be a defensive guru, and we look like crap on D compared to last year, I just generally dislike loud-mouth blow hards. I'll be the first to admit that the injuries are a huge factor, but the guy seems to work too hard to be likeable and he loves the camera. He's one hell of a salesman, but his team has a lot of talent (regardless of injuries), and they have a losing record and just lost to a team that came in with a 1-5 record. Yeah, there's that pesky bottom line.

:thumbsup: Coaching does make a difference when the HC makes the entire Bills O line captains while giving the middle finger to Doug Marrone. Stunts like this manage to fire up a bunch of average players to play above their heads. The Jags were the 6 worst team in sacks allowed, and 7th with QB hits, and the bills only managed two sacks on them today.

The lack of discipline with so many penalties have anything to do with coaching?

Fans need to stop making the injury excuse because all teams have those problems. The Patriots lose Brady in the opener one year, and get to 11-5 with a QB who hadn't made a start since high school. If you look at the Patriots that season only 5 offensive players played in all 16 games, and that includes Cassel.

Lots of blame all around to go for this one with losing to a bad Jags 1-5 team on the verge of firing their HC.

Anyone who says this years team has met their expectations so far is a bad liar. The defense was supposed to be so special this year with this HC who is a supposed defensive genius. and a guy who scoffed at last years #4 defense in the NFL with all this talent. This years defense is barely average. The Bills at 3-4, and currently last in the division.

There is that element to it for sure. 4 turnovers total, penalties, and some really poor coaching all the way around can cause these kinds of posts. For some it makes them feel a little better. It sucks for all of us to lose like we did today and many other games. Its like groundhog day.

What aspect of today's game was poorly coached??

What aspect of today's game was poorly coached??

Certainly the 4th down call on offense. But who knows who we put that on. It's interesting how we perceive the dynamic. I don't even think about Rex when that happened and I don't think many here do. I thought Roman as if the HC had no accountability. Sort of weird.

Again, don't disagree. I will ask you the same thing as Big Cat, what has Rex done to show you that he is a good leader? This thread isn't about why we lost today.

It is hard for me to dial in on Rex Ryan the leader of the Buffalo Bills because he is in his first season

This is what I keep falling back to

In my opinion Rex Ryan was not hired because he has been a long tenored HC of the jets I think he got the job for 2 reasons

He has taken a jets team without a franchise QB to TWO AFC Championship games....so one game away from the Super Bowl....it actually hard to find those head coaching candidates with that kind of thing on their resume

and

He has historically had very good defenses......and appears to have done more with less on those defenses.

So

I ask myself......what worked then that is not working now? I am really interesting in hearing opinions on this because I think this is why Terry Pegula hired him.

Certainly the 4th down call on offense. But who knows who we put that on. It's interesting how we perceive the dynamic. I don't even think about Rex when that happened and I don't think many here do. I thought Roman as if the HC had no accountability. Sort of weird.

Dude. Woods was WIDE open. EJ's effort on that play was just deplorable. A quick, decisive throw and the game is still alive.

Dude. Woods was WIDE open. EJ's effort on that play was just deplorable. A quick, decisive throw and the game is still alive.

I did not see who was open, just the weird reverse boot action, twice. Would have liked easier execution, but if he was open, hey....that's all you can do as a coach..

Fans need to stop making the injury excuse because all teams have those problems. The Patriots lose Brady in the opener one year, and get to 11-5 with a QB who hadn't made a start since high school.

Wow, who was that?? We should totally go after THAT guy!

I don't disagree... But it's the rollout to that side that kills EJ... It's just too much for him to do consistently... He's inaccurate as it is... Now you're rolling him to the left asking him to roll,set his feet, and make a good throw on a pretty quick route... At the very least Roman should have known it's too much to ask of EJ...

The coach and players need time to bond together. You cannot replace a head coach every year or two. At the very least he deserves 3 years. This team is riddled with injuries and he came in here without a viable starting QB. I have a feeling this team will be very good very soon. Remember Tyrod would have never have been here if it wasn't for Ryan -- and yes it's not certain if Tyrod will work out -- but out of all of the options available he seems to have been the best QB we could have had.

Rex will have a top defense again very soon. Just be a little patient. The coach hasn't even been with this team a half of a season yet and everyone is panicking and calling for his resignation. If they fired Rex we would be set back 5 years at the very least. He has a plan and direction but it's going to take some time for it all to come together.

It is hard for me to dial in on Rex Ryan the leader of the Buffalo Bills because he is in his first season

This is what I keep falling back to

In my opinion Rex Ryan was not hired because he has been a long tenored HC of the jets I think he got the job for 2 reasons

He has taken a jets team without a franchise QB to TWO AFC Championship games....so one game away from the Super Bowl....it actually hard to find those head coaching candidates with that kind of thing on their resume

and

He has historically had very good defenses......and appears to have done more with less on those defenses.

So

I ask myself......what worked then that is not working now? I am really interesting in hearing opinions on this because I think this is why Terry Pegula hired him.

I think every Bills fan out there wants to believe in Rex Ryan, and even the fans that didn't buy into the "we are going to build a bully in Buffalo" shtick still want him to succeed. The owner of the NY Jets Woody Johnson hated to fire the guy because he liked him so much. Lots of Jets fans weren't up in arms over his last season with the Jets even at 4-12 because they liked his charisma, his bluster and bravado.

I honestly don't think it was Rex Ryan's past record of his first two years being good out of six seasons that got him the job as HC of the Buffalo Bills. I think someone at the top looked at Jim Schwartz and thought that the Bills won't play the NFC North every year, and they wanted someone with a past history of building top defenses. Someone who could come in and make even better use then what they saw with Pettine in 2013, and Schwartz in 2014. After all didn't Ryan train Pettine to run "his" defense, and wasn't it his defense that had been in the top 5 with the Jets all those six years?

What worked then, and is not working now?

My thought is the current players on this years Buffalo Bills team are better schemed in a wide nine 4-3 defense, and although Ryan says 3-4 or 4-3 no matter. It does matter, and it matters a lot because the Bills have the front four to run that wide nine 4-3, and don't have the LBers to run that zone blitz 3-4. Even HoF Bills QB Jim Kelly said that if he saw Mario, Kyle,or Jerry Hughes dropping into pass coverage instead of rushing him he'd have a big smile on his face (as the starting QB).

Considering the talent of the Bills front four I was anticipating another 85 Bears Buddy Ryan defense in Buffalo this year, and instead we got a version of the 85 Bills defense.

Let's face some facts here. The past two years the Buffalo Bills had the #2, #1 defense in sacks, and this year they are currently 20th. The defense is lacking is so many areas and doesn't have nearly as many injuries as the offense. Tackling stinks at times, soft coverage schemes that don't work. Plus this years team just doesn't seem to be getting the turnovers like the two previous seasons, and a lot of that is probably due to lack of pressure on the QB.

The entire team is severely lacking in discipline, on offense, on defense, on special teams. That's coaching!

This years special teams stinks, and its not the kickers fault, as the punter has been the MVP some games. Field position is so important and this years team seems to always have bad field position due to bad coverage units. Whats really puzzling is these are basically the same players, and coach from last year.

NFN, but Rex Ryan keeps putting his foot in his mouth by giving the opposing teams bulletin board material while continuing to motivate them. Which is probably why he can't seem to remove his head from his posterior with the defense because his feet are always in the way. At this point this is not looking like a good hire for Buffalo and the Bills are on pace for an 8-8 season...maybe. I gotta wonder if the team will be better after the bye week, or will Ryan lose the team.