Failed Expectations, Rex Ryan is not a leader of men

We Bills fans are an impatient bunch and deservedly so but another coaching change after only 7 games is the last thing this teams needs.

It needs a QB that knows what he's doing more than anything else.

If the Patriots hadn't laid down in last year's final game, Jim Schwartz' defense was a disappointing 4 and 8 vs. the AFC last season. It had spectacular moments but wasn't really that great.

I guess the performance the D did against Aaron Rodgers last year was a fluke to you?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Schwartz as DC and Roman as OC, I can be HC. Just fire Crossman and get a good ST coach. There, my hat is in the ring!

And I'll do it for slightly less than $25 million.

I forgot the play, but during the broadcast someone on ST committed a bonehead penalty (shocker, I know) and one of the announcers said, "Danny Crossman is going to have a chat with that young man." Problem is... No, he won't. That's why they suck so badly, genius.

It's astounding to me how this guy gets paid every Friday without wearing a ski mask and brandishing an AR at the bank. Never thought another ST coach would suck hard enough to make me long for Ronnie Jones.

Edited by Felonious Monk

Rex enters the scene and says "Get ready Buffalo, you're going to the Playoffs". Sounds good. Can anybody imagine being promoted to a high level position in a company and declaring within 7-8 months you will achieve something the company hasn't achieved in 15 years? Setting those expectations out of the gate, it just doesn't seem like a very mature talking point. What if you fail to reach this unlikely goal? What out do you have? We already know how this will play with Rex, just see the Jets Super Bowl guarantees . "I expect my team to _____ every year and I'm not afraid to say it". Ok Rex, sounds good. Thanks for the conditional statement after the emphatic declaration. Personally, I don't think I would do so well if I set my bosses expectations at the moon, barely got off the ground, and then conditioned it with "well, I like to aim high, my bad".

Then we hear this consistent phrase "Players coach". Players can say whatever they want, "I'm not going to put a muzzle on my players". Reports from last year had Jets players discussing Ryan not holding the team accountable. Multiple players backed these reports up. At the time the Bills fan base was still in Rex Ryan dreamland so we didn't even consider the possibility of those comments having merit. Say what you want, not holding people accountable.... In the corporate world that is what you call a friend boss. It's a guy that does more to be liked than he does to bring the best out of his team. In my career I have had one person who maximized my ability that I also liked, but I assure you that person did not care one bit if I in fact liked them, it was just a by product of the respect I had for them. It's a coaches/bosses job to bring accountability, leadership, and the best out of people. Do you think coaches saying anything, players saying anything, and your main leader behaving more like a player than a coach is a functional leadership model?

I think players coaches can be successful. Sometimes when people buy in emotionally it can lead to incredible things both in business and in football, but a line needs to be drawn. Dick Vermeil was a players coach, Pete Carroll is a players coach. They both didn't run micromanaged top down military style teams, but they both also represented a consistent image of what leadership is. The players they had bought in emotionally. The emotion they put out was real. Rex and his words, they just don't feel like they're sincere. It reminds me of a guy that wouldn't stop talking about how he loves Sabres hockey and wants to buy a snow plow 5 minutes after moving so he can fit in and make people feel like he is one of them. Oh ya, that's right, Rex also wants to be our friend.

What I know of Rex Ryan. He could be a great coordinator, he could be a great TV analyst, but he should not be in a leadership position. Grandiose expectations go undelivered, accountability problems, need to be liked by all, no ability to learn from mistakes in behavior, and a scheme he is married to more than the players who play in it. I feel as strongly about knowing Ryan is not NFL HC material as any HC we have had since the playoff drought. He has been living off his coordinator days with extreme talent and the two AFC Championship runs.

Edited by KzooMike

You can quit on the season after 7 games, but I'm not with the AFC as it is this season.

At 3-4 the Bills are at the bottom of the division again after 7 games!

After the bye week the Bills play the Dolphins at home where they haven't won a game yet. Then The 4-2 Jets, and the undefeated Patriots.

Hugh Jackson as head coach and keep Swartz as DC was what I felt they where going to do. I initially liked the Rex hire but he has turned out to be a blow hard car salesman. How does one with the lable of one of the greatest defensive minds in the game send Kyle Williams into pass coverage. Pettine ran rexs d better than Rex.

I'm starting to think it was Mike Pettine who made Rex Ryan look so good with the Jets instead of the other way around.

Rex doesn't run this team. You could see it when he didn't react to the Hughes personal fouls against NE. He didn't bench him. He didn't meet him at the sideline and read him the riot act. He defended his players.

Like most bullies, he's got no balls.

It sure is hard to defend Rex right now. He took a team with more talent than most and neutered it, then looks flabbergasted at the result.

This would never, ever happen, but if this continues Rex should resign at the end of the year. This is theft. Everyone knows it, including the thief.

Hugh Jackson as head coach and keep Swartz as DC was what I felt they where going to do. I initially liked the Rex hire but he has turned out to be a blow hard car salesman. How does one with the lable of one of the greatest defensive minds in the game send Kyle Williams into pass coverage. Pettine ran rexs d better than Rex.

agree with all that. Hue and Schwartz was my first choice. I understand from my only "source" in the NFL who works for the Bengals that Jackson had indicated he was minded to keep Schwartz when he was interviewed. Cincy had also started looking for a new offensive coordinator. They believed Jackson was going to get the job.

At 3-4 the Bills are at the bottom of the division again after 7 games!

After the bye week the Bills play the Dolphins at home where they haven't won a game yet. Then The 4-2 Jets, and the undefeated Patriots.

I'm starting to think it was Mike Pettine who made Rex Ryan look so good with the Jets instead of the other way around.

Don't disagree too much but a point of correction - we did win at home opening day. Just turns out the Colts are terrible.

I know this probably sounds like another bitter Rex Ryan thread following a loss, but I had these thoughts conflicting with a half full attitude from the start. Is leadership in football that different than leadership in other walks of life? As fans why can't we draw on our own experiences to evaluate leadership? We watch this leadership style and it just seems so outside the norm. Jets fans watched it for years thinking the same thing. Now ask yourself what leaders have you ever known that got the best out of you? Did they let you say anything to anyone? Did they not hold you accountable? Did they say anything they wanted to anyone? Did they try and impose jobs on you that fit company verse your skills? Did they try and be your best friend? Looking at football, give me one other HC that Ryan reminds you of that is also successful? The only one I can think of is his father and Rex is pillow soft compared to Buddy. If Jerry Hughes told Ryan to "F off" in a game, I don't know what would happen. I have a problem with that. (sorry for using you as my hypothetical Jerry, I'm sure you would never swear)

Edited by KzooMike

Who's to say that Schwartz may not still be available to become defensive coordinator? But hiring him as head coach is likely not a good move based on his record in Detroit. But JS as DC will only occur if Ryan agrees to give up control of the defense. Who would want to come here and be a figurehead as Thurman apparently is? In any case, there would still be problems as long as Rex is head coach of this or any other team.

agree with all that. Hue and Schwartz was my first choice. I understand from my only "source" in the NFL who works for the Bengals that Jackson had indicated he was minded to keep Schwartz when he was interviewed. Cincy had also started looking for a new offensive coordinator. They believed Jackson was going to get the job.

Don't disagree too much but a point of correction - we did win at home opening day. Just turns out the Colts are terrible.

Good thing Rex stepped up and wowed them. Next time......

It sure is hard to defend Rex right now. He took a team with more talent than most and neutered it, then looks flabbergasted at the result.

Just like he did on the Jets sidelines last year. My favorite quote from last year was his "we will 1000% better in the second game against Buffalo" only to be beaten 38-3.

After finishing last year 4-12 I still don't get how he managed to get hired in Buffalo

We don't need anymore "players coaches". We need someone that can win and keep his players in the game. Enough of the "snake bit" comments about players getting hurt. That happens in every team in the NFL. Rex can't coach, can't make decisions and blames everyone else but himself for the failure of the team. When he took over he said being a number 4 defense wasn't good enough; he wanted #1. Well, now we are #18 and falling quickly. Whaley and the Pegula's are behind this mess and it doesn't look like it's going to get any better for another decade.