Percy Harvin Out vs. Miami; Placed on Injured Reserve

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@AlbertBreer: Percy Harvin's temper problems created higher-profile issues. But the hip was always part of the package too. His talent overrode the risk.

@AlbertBreer: Harvin's hip was flagged by teams at the '09 combine, to give you an idea of how far back this goes. Easy to see why he'd consider retiring.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/tell-your-grandkids-about-the-2015-buffalo-bills/

So how's that "let's get a bunch of small quick guys and make them try to cover all of them" theory going?

Tyrod, McCoy, Sammy, Percy ... all missing significant time. This is often spun by Bills fans as "why to bad things always happen to the Bills? Look at our injury list." The truth is: build your offense around small, quick guys who are higher than average injury risks, don't act shocked when they get injured. (I know, McCoy has been sturdy, put he's an aging back who depends on quickness)

Totally agree -- small, quick guys like Karlos Williams, Kyle Williams, Sentrael Henderson, Tony Romo, Dez Bryant, Marshawn Lynch, Antwon Boldin, Eric Ebron, Ben Rothlisberger . . . Shall I go on?

it was a 1 year deal.

its not a very dramatic situation, really. hes fine to carry while we see what happens. we certainly arent cutting him til the offseason, but if it turns out hes done they will be fine IRing him.

Hes injured you cant cut him---season ending IR yes

if sammy gets healthy, it buys a whole lot of leeway for carrying him as the 53rd spot a couple of weeks.

Why keep him??? Outside of a TD catch in the opener, what has he done for $6 million? If Sammy gets healthy? When Sammy comes back and in the first game back he pulls, strains, tweaks, sprains something, we are again left with no healthy receivers.

Why keep him??? Outside of a TD catch in the opener, what has he done for $6 million? If Sammy gets healthy? When Sammy comes back and in the first game back he pulls, strains, tweaks, sprains something, we are again left with no healthy receivers.

He missed a game and still has the 2nd most receptions on the team...

because what is a 53rd guy thats not dressing on sunday and signed mid october going to do to help short term anyway? the gap between percy and a street WR is HUGE.

We are paying him the $6m either way, so its not even worth mentioning.

Edited by NoSaint

i'd retire too if i had to play with EJ. heyoooooo

i think a couple of weeks off will be good for Harvin and once we are in the thick of the playoff race he will want to play

Its the same type of injury Bo Jackson had - horrible for guys build with a lot of muscle and speed.... Love his heart, but what made him special isn't available to him and that is frustrating for sure...

because what is a 53rd guy thats not dressing on sunday and signed mid october going to do to help short term anyway? the gap between percy and a street WR is HUGE.

We are paying him the $6m either way, so its not even worth mentioning.

Because a 53rd guy might actually have the drive and desire to play and to play hard. And what they may do in the short term is help our sorry special teams. If its not worth mentioning than why did you bring it up?

Well...Figures...Does it not?

Just our luck...Have to say I was really encouraged with the Watkins, Woods, Harvin top 3...Now it's Woods, Hogan, and maybe Easley this weekend? Or Denarious Moore? :huh:

Good grief this Franchise is so snake-bit...It would actually be funny if it was not so sad...We obviously angered the Football Gods at some point years ago...And they don't seen to be the forgiving type... B-)

Because a 53rd guy might actually have the drive and desire to play and to play hard. And what they may do in the short term is help our sorry special teams. If its not worth mentioning than why did you bring it up?

i mentioned the money because you were touting it as something we are wasting keeping him around. hes getting $6m either way- its a sunk cost. it has no place in the debate of what to do with him now, beyond showing that the bills think hes an explosive player if healthy.

Its the same type of injury Bo Jackson had - horrible for guys build with a lot of muscle and speed.... Love his heart, but what made him special isn't available to him and that is frustrating for sure...

Say what? Bo Jackson completely dislocated his hip. That didn't happen to Harvin, he just has tight hips. Edited by VanCity

I think this is one of those cases, that in inside the organization, know more about what is going on with Percy then the outside world, when the signed D Moore, he can return punts, but has experience as a receiver. I don't think Robert Woods was happy to losing playing time to Percy, time for him to step it up and show he is worth his value (or what he thinks he is worth). I can't say how Percy has been inside the locker room, however I don't think he has been a big problem for the organization, hip injuries happen in this league every week.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/tell-your-grandkids-about-the-2015-buffalo-bills/

So how's that "let's get a bunch of small quick guys and make them try to cover all of them" theory going?

Tyrod, McCoy, Sammy, Percy ... all missing significant time. This is often spun by Bills fans as "why to bad things always happen to the Bills? Look at our injury list." The truth is: build your offense around small, quick guys who are higher than average injury risks, don't act shocked when they get injured. (I know, McCoy has been sturdy, put he's an aging back who depends on quickness)

Watkins isn't small. He's 2 inches taller and almost THIRTY pounds heavier than Antonio Brown.

Kelvin Benjamin is huge. And out for the season.

Football players get hurt. There isn't a QB in the league who takes the horse collar Taylor took and doesn't get hurt.

So, if Harvin retires, Woods is a FA. Do we draft a WR in RD 1 or 2 next year. Any studs in the college ranks along the lines of Amari Cooper, etc.?

I think this is one of those cases, that in inside the organization, know more about what is going on with Percy then the outside world, when the signed D Moore, he can return punts, but has experience as a receiver. I don't think Robert Woods was happy to losing playing time to Percy, time for him to step it up and show he is worth his value (or what he thinks he is worth). I can't say how Percy has been inside the locker room, however I don't think he has been a big problem for the organization, hip injuries happen in this league every week.

this definitely puts the Moore signing into greater perspective. And you are correct, time for Woods to step up. If not, he should be less expensive to resign.

Yikes

Well.....we wont be needing to worry about finding cap room to sign Percy.

I still dont feel like we lost anyone in free agency due to to signing Harvin BUT we sure did pay a hefty price for a player for 5 games

we did pay, but it didn't hurt us. It was a high risk/high reward signing. Who knows, perhaps if he gets healthy he comes back at the end of the season and tears it up for a couple of weeks en route to a SB! (very wishful thinking, I know)

Time to trade for Steve Smith Sr.

That's the worst idea ever. Waste a draft pick and trade for a WR that would contribute for half a season?

Yikes

Well.....we wont be needing to worry about finding cap room to sign Percy.

I still dont feel like we lost anyone in free agency due to to signing Harvin BUT we sure did pay a hefty price for a player for 5 games

We got rid of some great young talent at the WR spot that we could've groomed and developed. This was such a waste IMO.

So, if Harvin retires, Woods is a FA. Do we draft a WR in RD 1 or 2 next year. Any studs in the college ranks along the lines of Amari Cooper, etc.?

this definitely puts the Moore signing into greater perspective. And you are correct, time for Woods to step up. If not, he should be less expensive to resign.

we did pay, but it didn't hurt us. It was a high risk/high reward signing. Who knows, perhaps if he gets healthy he comes back at the end of the season and tears it up for a couple of weeks en route to a SB! (very wishful thinking, I know)

Corey Coleman from Baylor

That's the worst idea ever. Waste a draft pick and trade for a WR that would contribute for half a season?

We got rid of some great young talent at the WR spot that we could've groomed and developed. This was such a waste IMO.

Versus wasting a season? Absolutely.

No offense but if they trade him it will be to a SB contender

CBF

i didnt realize the ravens had that agenda! I would think they want to trade him to the highest bidder (which would be anyone that thinks hed help their shot at the playoffs right now)

i didnt realize the ravens had that agenda! I would think they want to trade him to the highest bidder (which would be anyone that thinks hed help their shot at the playoffs right now)

I know but maybe out of respect for him they would trade him to a contender since this is his last year

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/21/if-steve-smith-is-still-retiring-ravens-should-trade-him-to-a-contender/

CBF