RIP Paul Costa

vorpma

Paul Costa, Tight End during the 1960's glory years passed away recently. I often post about the "old days of the "AFL" and growing a Bills fan; I had family members that were plank holders regarding season tickets from 1960 well into the 1990's. As stated in previous posts, the players during the 1960's were blue collar guys that played football professionally during the fall. The Bills of the 1960's were a close knit group hanging out in Taverns and bars across western New York. Paul Costa had huge arms and arm strength and would arm wrestle bar patrons for a beer, all in good fun, really great guy.

Paul Costa lost his young son to illness in the early 1970's soon leaving the Bills, although he had a short stint in the WFL.

Us "old farts" lose another of our guys from the 1960's; my prayers and thoughts to the family.

Paul Costa, Tight End during the 1960's glory years passed away recently. I often post about the "old days of the "AFL" and growing a Bills fan; I had family members that were plank holders regarding season tickets from 1960 well into the 1990's.

Plank holder? Were there just plank benches for seating at the Rockpile?

Yes, those guys had day jobs back in the 1960s. Sestak and Maguire owned a restaurant/pizzeria at my corner in Kenmore.

Butch Byrd (star cornerback) was an auto mechanic at the Chrysler dealer (Delaware at Hertel) where my neighbor worked.

RIP Paul Costa, and condolences to his family.

Paul Costa, Tight End during the 1960's glory years passed away recently. I often post about the "old days of the "AFL" and growing a Bills fan; I had family members that were plank holders regarding season tickets from 1960 well into the 1990's. As stated in previous posts, the players during the 1960's were blue collar guys that played football professionally during the fall. The Bills of the 1960's were a close knit group hanging out in Taverns and bars across western New York. Paul Costa had huge arms and arm strength and would arm wrestle bar patrons for a beer, all in good fun, really great guy.

Paul Costa lost his young son to illness in the early 1970's soon leaving the Bills, although he had a short stint in the WFL.

Us "old farts" lose another of our guys from the 1960's; my prayers and thoughts to the family.

:thumbsup:

Whenever I think of Costa I remember this photo from his rookie season.

CostaCatch700w.jpg

Known in the day as "The Catch!"

Yes, those guys had day jobs back in the 1960s. Sestak and Maguire owned a restaurant/pizzeria at my corner in Kenmore.

Butch Byrd (star cornerback) was an auto mechanic at the Chrysler dealer (Delaware at Hertel) where my neighbor worked.

As Plank holder I meant they were one of the first to purchase season tickets; on the side of the end zone across from the Dodge Street tunnel. There was always a twenty piece band that played during timeouts right below.

Known in the day as "The Catch!"

As Plank holder I meant they were one of the first to purchase season tickets; on the side of the end zone across from the Dodge Street tunnel. There was always a twenty piece band that played during timeouts right below.

RIP Paul.

I loved that band. I was just a kid, but that live band was cool. They used to play during timeouts and before and after the game. So much better than the crap they blare over the loudspeakers today.

They used play Christmas songs in December.

Those were the days. Speaking of them working during the offseason, Ron McDole and Al Bemiller used to build spec houses and Al had a restaurant and bar on Clark Street. Boy, what a different Era that was back then.

Edited by BuffaloBob

RIP Paul.

I loved that band. I was just a kid, but that live band was cool. They used to play during timeouts and before and after the game. So much better than the crap they blare over the loudspeakers today.

Those were the days. Speaking of them working during the offseason, Ron McDole and Al Bemiller used to build spec houses and Al had a restaurant and bar on Clark Street. Boy, what a different Era that was back then.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

In the 1968 opener, Costa scored the only Bills' TD on a tight end-around.

In terms of the young American Football League, Costa was the prototype tight end; big, physical, fast, great blocker, good hands and could run after he caught the ball.

RIP Paul.

that band lives in the memories of all of us who experienced them. over the years talking to old friends, or people you would come across and talk old bills at WMS, the subject of the band always came up. all i know is that band playing in the right field corner was very much a part of the distinct culture of a bills game at WMS. there are many books about the brooklyn dodgers and the romance they had with that borough, the tradition, the band at the rockpile, the sights, the smells of those days is very close.

The part of WMS I remember most is walking through the streets and parking lot, into that depressing, drab gray concrete hulk, and then getting that first glimpse of the bright green field and red Bills logo.

It was like watching the Wizard of Oz when it went from B&W to color.

Didn't they convert him to tackle? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Costa was a starting tackle at my first visit to War Memorial ... 1970, Miami Dolphins. Yes, a loss, although OJ did have one big run (maybe Costa threw a block for him?) Love these stories about the old AFL Bills and their off-season jobs. I'm just a little too young to remember that. What a different time it was. Please keep the stories coming!

The part of WMS I remember most is walking through the streets and parking lot, into that depressing, drab gray concrete hulk, and then getting that first glimpse of the bright green field and red Bills logo.

Get your peanuts here, Buffalo's best!

that band lives in the memories of all of us who experienced them. over the years talking to old friends, or people you would come across and talk old bills at WMS, the subject of the band always came up. all i know is that band playing in the right field corner was very much a part of the distinct culture of a bills game at WMS. there are many books about the brooklyn dodgers and the romance they had with that borough, the tradition, the band at the rockpile, the sights, the smells of those days is very close.

The Bills didn't do much winning by the time I was attending games with my Dad in '68 and beyond, so for me, it was the ambiance that I remember. I remember a t least one December game when it was snowglobing and the band was playing Christmas songs. The bills were no doubt losing, but it was Christmas time and Santa was coming!

I remember in '68 and '69 how i would come home from a game happy if the Bills scored a touchdown. I remember a game against San Diego when John Hadl was QB. It was one of those awful weather games and the field was so muddy that most of the players' jerseys had their numbers obscured my mud. It was late in the fourth and we were losing soundly, when the crowd notice there was one player out there whose number 21 jersey was virtually free of any dirt or mud.

The chant started remotely and began to grow in volume. GET HADL DIRTY! GET HADL DIRTY! It when on for about 5 to 10 plays, until finally Hadl went back to pass, and the Bills sacked him and got him all muddy. The crowd of Bills faithful, still there in the 4th, suffering through miserable weather and an even more miserable game, went nuts like we had just won another AFL Championship. We went home that afternoon with a good feeling, despite yet another L.

Get your peanuts here, Buffalo's best!

for sure! in the brown paper bags, another great memory that you took for granted.. i think the same black gentleman sold them for years at both the rockpile and the aud.

The Bills didn't do much winning by the time I was attending games with my Dad in '68 and beyond, so for me, it was the ambiance that I remember. I remember a t least one December game when it was snowglobing and the band was playing Christmas songs. The bills were no doubt losing, but it was Christmas time and Santa was coming!

I remember in '68 and '69 how i would come home from a game happy if the Bills scored a touchdown. I remember a game against San Diego when John Hadl was QB. It was one of those awful weather games and the field was so muddy that most of the players' jerseys had their numbers obscured my mud. It was late in the fourth and we were losing soundly, when the crowd notice there was one player out there whose number 21 jersey was virtually free of any dirt or mud.

The chant started remotely and began to grow in volume. GET HADL DIRTY! GET HADL DIRTY! It when on for about 5 to 10 plays, until finally Hadl went back to pass, and the Bills sacked him and got him all muddy. The crowd of Bills faithful, still there in the 4th, suffering through miserable weather and an even more miserable game, went nuts like we had just won another AFL Championship. We went home that afternoon with a good feeling, despite yet another L.

i do believe that is why guys like us just keep coming back .. but the feeling of being a punching bag does cross my mind lo these many years.

Edited by dwight in philly

I was young but remember him. i got his autograph. RIP

Sestak and Mcguire had a bar/restaurant on Cleveland near Harlem too. went there for fish fry's. i never knew about the Kenmore location.

for sure! in the brown paper bags, another great memory that you took for granted.. i think the same black gentleman sold them for years at both the rockpile and the aud.

i do believe that is why guys like us just keep coming back .. but the feeling of being a punching bag does cross my mind lo these many years.

That is why the Bills are in our DNA. And why it was so hard to not see us win a Superbowl in the early 90s. Football is so different now, and so is my emotional attachment to it.

I'm glad the players are so well compensated now. They deserve every penny.

But that has also changed the game in ways that has profoundly altered what was at that time my great love of the game. I will root for the Bills to my last breath, but long gone are the days I used to watch every game I could, read every book I could on football. Maybe that is just an inevitable part of growing up. But the NFL is not a passion for me like it was back then.

That is why the Bills are in our DNA. And why it was so hard to not see us win a Superbowl in the early 90s. Football is so different now, and so is my emotional attachment to it.

I'm glad the players are so well compensated now. They deserve every penny.

But that has also changed the game in ways that has profoundly altered what was at that time my great love of the game. I will root for the Bills to my last breath, but long gone are the days I used to watch every game I could, read every book I could on football. Maybe that is just an inevitable part of growing up. But the NFL is not a passion for me like it was back then.

i agree with a great deal of your thinking about the present state of the game . i must admit my emotional attachment to the bills hasnt wavered, but they way i feel about watching a game has changed much like you stated. i remember just watching a game, see a great play unfold and not totally be consumed worrying about a flag. .. now that is all i think about. between the "pop culture" image the NFL is keying into and the officials taking over the sport, not the same.

Edited by dwight in philly

Didn't they convert him to tackle? Or am I thinking of someone else?

You may be mixing him up with Paul seymour who played OT and TE during the OJ era. Lou Saban converted the all-american tackle to a blocking TE to bolster the line for OJ. He also was decent at catching the short and intermediate passes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Company_(football)

I was at that game; George Saimes did a safety blitz right up the middle and sacked Hadl.

Joe Namath called WMS "The Gray Monster of the North."

You may be mixing him up with Paul seymour who played OT and TE during the OJ era. Lou Saban converted the all-american tackle to a blocking TE to bolster the line for OJ. He also was decent at catching the short and intermediate passes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Company_(football)

no, they did convert costa to tackle,

no, they did convert costa to tackle,

It's my understanding that he was converted to TE (mostly blocking) in the pros. Check my wikepedia link in post #37. In college he played TE his first year of so but was converted to OT where he became an all-American. He was a blocking TE.

He may have switched positions back and forth but he gained prominence for being a blocking TE for OJ and being part of the electirc co. OL. I'm not saying you are wrong because he did play both OT and TE for the Bills.

Whenever I think of Costa I remember this photo from his rookie season.

CostaCatch700w.jpg

Thanks for posting this pic, it was the first thing that came to mind. If I remember correctly it was on the front of the sports section on the Courier the day after the game.

RIP, Paul.