Watkins: "I need 10 targets... You're making me look bad."

johnwalter

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why go public with the comments though? I understand his frustration, but nothing good comes from expressing his anger to media. What he said was fine IMO but not who he said it to. Express it to Rex, Roman, Whaley, Tyrod/EJ, etc. behind closed doors. There is no point in letting the national media know.

He may have already done it behind closed doors. He talked to the local media (Dunne) not the national media - Rodak ran his own story using the quotes he plucked from Dunne - but I guess it doesn't matter anyway since there isn't a difference anymore. The agent got involved too (very common with things like this as well as playing time). Like I said, confrontation often leads to change.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Is Tyler Dunne crazy? Printing anything negative about Sammy Watkins is a huge insecurity trigger for this fanbase. He may may have just passed Gleason on the Most Hated list. If he isn't careful, he'll catch Rodak real quick.

He may have already done it behind closed doors. He talked to the local media (Dunne) not the national media - Rodak ran his own story using the quotes he plucked from Dunne - but I guess it doesn't matter anyway since there isn't a difference anymore. The agent got involved too (very common with things like this as well as playing time). Like I said, confrontation often leads to change.

So if he doesn't get his way behind closed doors, it's ok to unleash your frustration to the media and set specific expected targets for yourself putting pressure on your QBs? What if Sammy doesn't get his way moving forward? What's the next step? Childish antics and unexpected from someone who was personified as a "softspoken hardworker"

Edited by jmc12290

So if he doesn't get his way behind closed doors, it's ok to unleash your frustration to the media and set specific expected targets for yourself putting pressure on your QBs? What if Sammy doesn't get his way moving forward? What's the next step? Childish antics and unexpected from someone who was personified as a "softspoken hardworker"

again - the article indicates that this is about much more than "getting his way." It is clearly about winning, and how effectively targeting a #1 WR contributes to that goal. I don't see any "childish antics" anywhere. Sorry. He didn't take out a newspaper ad. He was asked questions by a reporter. He answered the questions honestly and competitively. Make sure to read the actual article, not Rodak's blog. Edited by YoloinOhio

again - the article indicates that this is about much more than "getting his way." It is clearly about winning, and how effectively targeting a #1 WR contributes to that goal. I don't see any "childish antics" anywhere. Sorry. He didn't take out a newspaper ad. He was asked questions by a reporter. He answered the questions honestly and competitively.

I disagree. You don't drop names of other receivers in the league and compare targets if it's just about winning.

My opinion, if Robert Woods. Percy, or Clay expressed these same feelings, this board would have a complete different tone. Golden boy Sammy can do no wrong.

And again- What happens if targets/production don't increase? Everyone knows his demands now. If i'm a betting man, Sammy isn't going to put up OBJ numbers any time soon based on our QB situation.

Edited by jmc12290

I disagree. You don't drop names of other receivers in the league and compare targets if it's just about winning.

Those comparisons illustrate his point perfectly. He seems like a smart guy. Plus, he's simply repeating the comparisons that the fans/media use all the time.

Especially when the numbers are way off. He's either saying he needs about 40% all of our passes to go to him, or he's saying Roman needs to call 35+ passes per game instead of running so much. He's quoted saying OBJ gets 20 targets, OBJ has 52 targets on the year (just over 10 per game). And in order for OBJ to see that many targets Eli has already thrown 60 more passes on the year than Tyrod has. Clay and Harvin lead the team in targets and targets per game, but that's also including 2 games where Sammy was unavailable and Clay and Harvin were the main receiving weapons.

Would interesting to see what Fitz would do with sammy Watkins. For all his faults and limitations Fitz is great at feeding his #1 and if he doesn't have a #1 he will make one. He turned Stevie into a 1 who then slipped into obscurity when Fitz keft. then goes to Tennessee and makes Kendall wright a number 1 who slips back into obscurity when Fitz leaves. Then he makes Deondre Hopkins a 1 in Houston. Now he's resurrecting Brandon Marshalls # 1 stature. Fitz would be feeding sammy 10 plus times without sammy saying a word.

Wrong. While Sammy may have missed a catch here or there, he has generally been nothing short of first round quality. He saved our butts in multiple games last year. It's not fair to him if he's not getting targets because we're handing the ball off to Boobie Dixon 10 times.

no he saved us and burned us in 2-3 games last year. re watch houston. he completely sucked and cost us that one. also almost cost us detroit by going down like a girl on prom night w his last catch. 53 yard fg because he couldnt get 1 yard of rac. softy sammy is a little girl when hes hurt. so maybe one day he will play like a man...one day.

the agent said that to the Bills, about himself.

Nope. Here's the full quote from Watkins:

“Everybody looks at you getting zero catches, zero yards but when you look on film 90 percent of the time you’re open,” said Watkins, who is represented by Eugene Parker. “I understand that these guys are young and they need some time to trust me. Once we get that trust, it’ll be different. But for me, I need the ball at least 10 times — I need 10 targets — and I’ll be fine with however many yards I get. And that’s what I addressed in talking with my agent. We reached out to a couple people and tried to pull some strings like, ‘Hey, I need my targets. You came up to draft me and I’m not getting targets — that’s a problem. You’re making me look bad and you’re making yourself look bad. Why not make both of us look good?’”

Especially when the numbers are way off. He's either saying he needs about 40% all of our passes to go to him, or he's saying Roman needs to call 35+ passes per game instead of running so much. He's quoted saying OBJ gets 20 targets, OBJ has 52 targets on the year (just over 10 per game). And in order for OBJ to see that many targets Eli has already thrown 60 more passes on the year than Tyrod has. Clay and Harvin lead the team in targets and targets per game, but that's also including 2 games where Sammy was unavailable and Clay and Harvin were the main receiving weapons.

By my calculations, it'd be 36.5%. Is that unreasonable for your top WR who they traded up for?

Or if he gets 8 targets per game like Boldin did in Roman's system, that's just 29%.

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

By my calculations, it'd be 36.5%. Is that unreasonable for your top WR who they traded up for?

Or if he gets 8 targets per game like Boldin did in Roman's system, that's just 29%.

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

i don't even know if it needs to be a per game goal but rather a season goal of 100 or more. Every game is different so one week he might get 5 and one week 12. Roman has never had at least one WR that didn't get >100 in a season. He has 13 so far and has 11 games left - 87 over the next 11 games seems reasonable.

Great trade by Whalley. This kid really pisses me off. How about you make a play for your QB instead of getting alligator arms. How about you don't throw you hands up and disrespect your QB when you're a rookie. How about try to play through your boo-boo and help your team.

What the heck are you talking about? And Sammy has never ever once had alligator arms.