How Do We Convince Roman To Stay?

You can't stop Roman from leaving if there is a great job offered, but that's a big if. Dolphins, Browns and Colts jobs will likely be open but would he want those considering the dysfunctional ownership in each case? (BTW, how cool is it NOT being one of those teams people avoid anymore?) I can see the Pegulas making it worth his while financially to stick around. As much as a coach wants to be the boss, there is something to be said for staying with a solid winning organization, which I hope we will become soon.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't stop Roman from leaving if there is a great job offered, but that's a big if. Dolphins, Browns and Colts jobs will likely be open but would he want those considering the dysfunctional ownership in each case? (BTW, how cool is it NOT being one of those teams people avoid anymore?) I can see the Pegulas making it worth his while financially to stick around. As much as a coach wants to be the boss, there is something to be said for staying with a solid winning organization, which I hope we will become soon.

It'd be great if we could just match their offer and run with roman as assistant head coach. However, I understand he wants the main gig and if he can negotiate control he can get the great job and his money.

If the dude wants to be an HC, as we presume he does, he will leave. Their is nothing that will keep him here if he is offered the right HC job.

I think it would have to be the right job, unlike Pettine who was just on a track to be a head coach anywhere I think Roman is more measured than that.

Edited by CardinalScotts

I always had the impression that it was a rare OC or DC who would turn down a head coach position, and I suspect our guy has the interest. Money is probably not going to make him give up the opportunity. If he keeps doing a great job and takes the head coaching job good for him. Will we miss him? Yup...but life goes on. Great coaches and great players sometimes demand more than a team can give and they have to move on for professional and/or financial reasons.

Let's hope he has Anthony Lynn and Sanjay Lal incorporated into his game planning meetings and discussions - and let's hope they have the same type of offensive philosophy and the ability to take over the OC job if it becomes available. GR will be a the top of many teams list after this season.

There's a lot of season left and it's probably too early to have this conversation, but if the offense keeps plugging away the way it has, Greg Roman's going to be a top candidate for just about every head coaching job around after this season. After so many years of watching terrible OCs, I'd really hate to see him to go.

However, I remember seeing an article from the offseason where Roman said he interviewed for HC gigs when he was with SF, but that teams got tired of waiting as the 49ers went deep into the playoffs. It sounds like he would definitely like to be a HC and I think Rex and the Bills FO would respect that...but for the sake of this conversation, what could the Bills do to convince him to stay?

The Pegulas could definitely give him head coach type money and an assistant head coach title...what else? T.O.'s key to the city? A guarantee that we spend all draft picks next year on the offense? Get crazy with it, let's make him an offer he can't refuse!

Yeah, I think it's early to have this conversation.

The Bills looked really good against the Colts and Miami. Once NE started stacking the box against us, Roman did not appear to have an answer until they loosened up again in the 4th quarter.

I think we'd better see how Roman does against a wider mix of teams and coordinators before we anoint him HC Candidate of the Year and start stressing about how to keep him.

I can remember similar threads, pre-season, about both Wannstache and Schwartz (though I do wonder why Schwartz got no interest - some history there from his time in Detroit?)

Pay him a lot of money.

If the man wants to be a HC, there are only 32 of those jobs in the world, and money won't keep him.

I think it worked out well for us, but I do wonder if Pettine might second-guess his decision to take the Browns HC job. He did step into a muck-yard of a situation. It is possible that Roman might want to be more selective, and might want to wait for the "right" job instead of jumping at the first offer.

I have no link to support this, but I seem to recall some comments from Rex at the time of his hiring that the Pegulas DID open the bank a bit to help attract an All-star coaching staff to Bflo.

I'm thinking that Roman already was paid some type of premium to take this OC job, maybe in recognition of the fact that he interviewed for the HC job himself.

Ask Doogie Moron being a HC may not be all that it is cracked up to be. (Even with a 4 million dollar parachute). I think DM's reputation has taken a huge hit in the eyes of players and management. Maybe Roman's aspirations following a strong year with the Bills will be to return, honor his contract and bring us a championship.

Ask Doogie Moron being a HC may not be all that it is cracked up to be. (Even with a 4 million dollar parachute). I think DM's reputation has taken a huge hit in the eyes of players and management. Maybe Roman's aspirations following a strong year with the Bills will be to return, honor his contract and bring us a championship.

I'm sure Roman can take a HC job and still "honor his contract", as I'm fairly certain his contract has an out for a HC job. And while it isn't obvious to many, Marrone also "honored his contract" as his contract allowed him to opt out.

Show him the numbers- coordinators that become head coaches usually wind up back where they started.

And some make it, right? So what does he have to lose by trying to be a HC, if failure gets him right back to being an OC?

There really isn't much you can do besides give him as much autonomy as possible over the offense and more money. Beyond that it's just really up to him how much he wants to be a head coach. The good news is we finally have an owner that I feel confident would spend the money necessary to keep a top level coordinator if it came to that.

Edited by Dr. Fong

And some make it, right? So what does he have to lose by trying to be a HC, if failure gets him right back to being an OC?

But where would he land? He has a good thing now, potentially great. He could wind up on a dysfunctional team if he fails as a head coach. Think Rick Pettine is happy?

But where would he land? He has a good thing now, potentially great. He could wind up on a dysfunctional team if he fails as a head coach. Think Rick Pettine is happy? If he fails, he will not have his pick of the NFL teams.

There's a lot of season left and it's probably too early to have this conversation, but if the offense keeps plugging away the way it has, Greg Roman's going to be a top candidate for just about every head coaching job around after this season. After so many years of watching terrible OCs, I'd really hate to see him to go.

However, I remember seeing an article from the offseason where Roman said he interviewed for HC gigs when he was with SF, but that teams got tired of waiting as the 49ers went deep into the playoffs. It sounds like he would definitely like to be a HC and I think Rex and the Bills FO would respect that...but for the sake of this conversation, what could the Bills do to convince him to stay?

The Pegulas could definitely give him head coach type money and an assistant head coach title...what else? T.O.'s key to the city? A guarantee that we spend all draft picks next year on the offense? Get crazy with it, let's make him an offer he can't refuse!

Go Bills!

Still new and getting used to the vibe around here. I posted this with a bit of humor (see the TO key to the city reference etc.) but maybe that didn't come across all the way, my bad. It's definitely too early as I said at the start and there's a ton of season left, but it's just something to wonder about while still enjoying the season. I really like Roman so far and I hope he's here for the long-term. The Pegulas could definitely pay him HC type money and there are a couple perks they could probably throw in, but if he wants an HC gig, I'd wish him well.

We'll see how the rest of the season plays out. Fingers crossed that we do so well that this becomes a legitimate concern down the line.

I'm sure Roman can take a HC job and still "honor his contract", as I'm fairly certain his contract has an out for a HC job. And while it isn't obvious to many, Marrone also "honored his contract" as his contract allowed him to opt out.

All I'm saying is a head coaching job may not be worth it as it can lessen your value in the league. Although DM technically honored his contract the way he left spoke volumes to the league. If it wasn't for his buddy giving him a job he would be coaching outside of the NFL.

Show him the numbers- coordinators that become head coaches usually wind up back where they started.

Yeah like Billycheat, Rex, Tomlin, etc

doesn't mean we tell the league he is the next coach. Bring some other coaches for interviews and then hire Roman

That is cheating and could lead to draft pick losses; I do not think the Pegs will play it that way.

Seriously, though, are people really going to be stressing out about Roman's job status for the next 14 weeks??

Of course. We're Bills fans. We also can't enjoy weekends, because they end with having to go back to work on Monday.

is it cruelty, generosity, or merely indifference that compels gods to transform yesterday's villain into today's hero, and today's hero into tomorrow's fool?

i'm enjoying watching Roman work, but reactions such as this topic, remind me of this Warren Buffett quote ~ "Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked."

of course the flip side to this, is that when the tide's in - no one cares.. see K. Gilbride. ;)

Promote him to assistant head coach / OC and show up at his house with a brinks truck?

Exactly. You also have to scare him away from dumpster fires like Cleveland. He has to make the move at the right time, to the right organization, with a QB or #1 pick. Otherwise, he's just shooting himself in the foot. (At least, that's what I'd be telling him!).

He won't need to "honor his contract and bring us a championship." He will need to "honor his contract and defend the championship by repeating!"

Yeah like Billycheat, Rex, Tomlin, etc

That is cheating and could lead to draft pick losses; I do not think the Pegs will play it that way.

No. Like JIm Schwartz, Josh McDaniels, Chan Gailey, Marc Trestman, Todd Haley, Pat Shurmer, Mike Shula, Norv Turner, Romeo Crenell, Wade Phillips, Mike Mularkey, Dick Jauron, Gregg Williams and Dave Wannsteadt.

Edited by jethro_tull

Change the jumbotron at the Ralph so that it only shows Roman Numerals :w00t:

But in all seriousness, while Roman's impact has been incredible and it would hurt to lose him next year I might suggest that we can still have a successful offense even if he leaves. To be honest if TT really is as good as what he's shown so far and if Karlos Williams can keep running the way he has I really think the offense shouldn't miss too much of a beat if Roman leaves.

That is a problem I will love to have at the end of the season- if teams are beating down the door to interview him for HC, it means we probably finish top 10 and make the playoffs. If that is how it goes down, I really don't think he will want to leave. He took a lot of crap from 49'ers fans and critics about his performance in SF so I can see him sticking around here and being successful. He will be rated as one of the best OC's in the league if he is able to take a Tyrod Taylor led offense deep into the playoffs.

The Bills also have an ace up their sleeve: Terry Pagula. He has proved that money is no issue when acquiring & retaining talent. I'm sure he will have no problem matching & adding 10% to whatever offer Roman might receive.

you can't

why would any coordinator turn down a potential to be the head coach? Come on, that's the goal for these guys. To be the guy in charge.

If Roman leaves, you say thank you and promote whoever was his top assistant and then hope for some consistency.