An idea to slow down the Patriots offense next time

It eats at my core to watch the Patriots execute their offense with such precision against the Bills. Despite the hate, I have to give them their props. The last two games that mattered, “the not aging fast enough” Brady, got rid of the ball in under 2 seconds on passing plays and just carved us up for 7 to 10 yards each play. My thought on a strategy is to have set plays where the guys in the back end of the D just tackle/hold every WR, TE and RB that goes out for a pass and then the D line sacks Brady. Bills would give up 5 yards for the ‘holding’ and an automatic first down but you smack Tommy boy a bunch of times and get their receivers wondering what is going on. The idea is to disrupt their timing and get them off their game. They would employ this scheme for the first couple Patriots drives of the game, before they cross the 50 yard line and would do this every pass play. Patriots are going to get their yards anyway so why not give them the yards and smack him around!! After that they could sprinkle this strategy in randomly to keep them guessing and hopefully off on the timing patterns all game. You could disguise it so the D-call is either the mugging strategy, the fake mugging strategy or a blitz with legal coverage. Thoughts?

That Pats** offense relies on timing as Brady is throwing to a spot more than throwing to a receiver. It assumes the DBs are always chasing the receivers. What you do is "flip the script" and ignore the receivers and cover the spots instead. Brady either throws picks or hesitates his throws, giving our D-line a little more time to sack him.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

This is a crazy idea, but have to give you props for being creative. The clever part is the only 5 yd penalty for holding vs 15 for unsportsmanlike contact if you try to take shots at the QB close to the whistle or after

I'm OK with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and a cart coming out to take Brady away. I've been hoping for that every time they run the score up on the Bills. If only someone had the pride to send him screaming to the locker room...

But yeah, the holding WRs thing is kinda cool, too, I guess.

I still think the best way is to lure him into throws that you are prepared to jump on. If he consistently finds and throws to the mismatch, that means the defense should generally know who he will be throwing to. They also know (if the Pats continue the quick throw approach) that he will throw it quickly. Having guys cheat after the snap to the areas that the mismatched receiver could get to, might help to slow down the Pats, and would at least make Brady hesitate to throw quickly to the mismatch.

There was no need to worry about the run in the last game, so having some safeties out there instead of LB's might help too.

Does anyone know if Brady has more success against 3-4 fronts, or 4-3?

Edited by HoF Watkins

Esp on a first down from their own 20 or 30... its not all that crazy. Giving up five yards for a potential sack that shakes up brady... kinda worth it... I feel like its something bellicheck would think of. Give up a 5 yard first down on first down and get a QB hit out of it... not a bad trade...

It eats at my core to watch the Patriots execute their offense with such precision against the Bills. Despite the hate, I have to give them their props. The last two games that mattered, “the not aging fast enough” Brady, got rid of the ball in under 2 seconds on passing plays and just carved us up for 7 to 10 yards each play. My thought on a strategy is to have set plays where the guys in the back end of the D just tackle/hold every WR, TE and RB that goes out for a pass and then the D line sacks Brady. Bills would give up 5 yards for the ‘holding’ and an automatic first down but you smack Tommy boy a bunch of times and get their receivers wondering what is going on. The idea is to disrupt their timing and get them off their game. They would employ this scheme for the first couple Patriots drives of the game, before they cross the 50 yard line and would do this every pass play. Patriots are going to get their yards anyway so why not give them the yards and smack him around!! After that they could sprinkle this strategy in randomly to keep them guessing and hopefully off on the timing patterns all game. You could disguise it so the D-call is either the mugging strategy, the fake mugging strategy or a blitz with legal coverage. Thoughts?

I like this idea! It will work at least once.

Belichick will probably love it, too. He will adopt it, and perfect it's use.

I don't think it would result in many more penalties than we had against them the last time.

And less penalty yardage...

They won't call holding every play

If all 11 of our guys are holding (or slamming Brady), they might run out of flags and hats to throw. What's next? Shoes? Now, if the Pats* tried this scheme, we'd call that.... just another play.

Edited by Augie

That Pats** offense relies on timing as Brady is throwing to a spot more than throwing to a receiver. It assumes the DBs are always chasing the receivers. What you do is "flip the script" and ignore the receivers and cover the spots instead. Brady either throws picks or hesitates his throws, giving our D-line a little more time to sack him.

I actually agree with this a lot

Study the timing routes and try and cross DB's in front of the spot Brady is going to

I would also go dime package from the onset and just basically dare them to run

Yeah, what a brilliant idea, what "spots" would those be, on every play?

I can't believe that no coaches have thought of that. :rolleyes:

Seriously?

Edited by TaskersGhost

You have to disrupt the routes and timing only way to do that is put your defenders right in the faces of the receivers at the snap. tO disrupt his reads ya might play folks off and have them rich to the receiver and chuck them. Having all 11 guys near the LOS and bringing different folks might disrupt his pre snap reads along with a lot of movement just like ya would with your receivers to disrupt the defense.

This is a crazy idea, but have to give you props for being creative. The clever part is the only 5 yd penalty for holding vs 15 for unsportsmanlike contact if you try to take shots at the QB close to the whistle or after

Reminds me of "Hack a Shaq" that a lot of NBA teams employed

The whole week before the next game we should have anyone on D that could cover a WR practicing pass blocking with the OL, working on playing the pass on D like you are an OT. Hand placement, footwork, hip rotation should be at the top of the list. Even the occasional "our legs got tangled and we fell down" drill, lol. Let Gilmore and AW learn how slow Mario down, and it may show them how to disrupt Gronk's routes.

I think Chan Gailey had 1 answer. Have the Bill's Offensive Line get their hands up. Tom Brady is 6'4", Edelman is 5'10" and Amandola is 5'11" which may be on the high side. With Brady's throwing motion, he has to throw down, through the Off. Line. I don't know how Manny Lawson would stack up against Gronk in coverage, but I would mix the coverage up a lot. Keep them guessing.

I think Chan Gailey had 1 answer. Have the Bill's Offensive Line get their hands up. Tom Brady is 6'4", Edelman is 5'10" and Amandola is 5'11" which may be on the high side. With Brady's throwing motion, he has to throw down, through the Off. Line. I don't know how Manny Lawson would stack up against Gronk in coverage, but I would mix the coverage up a lot. Keep them guessing.

I like this. It's not as if Brady is a real threat to take off and run. If they're split 4 or 5 wide with no RB, unless one of our DT's bursts through the line untouched, get a bead on Brady and everyone get your hands up. At the worst it will obscure his field vision some and possibly force him to adjust his trajectories and throwing lanes.

just beat the Giants. worry about the Pats in December

Since we play them in November that makes lots of sense ....

Chan Gailey did not coach defense; I think you meant to say Chan Gailey's DC.

I would have Robey rush him on every pass

Robey and Rambo from opposite sides.