Aaron Rogers is a bum

Turbosrrgood

Don't be fooled by his 5 TD, no int, 300 + yard night against a good defense... It was apparently a miserable performance.

PFF has graded him a -.8 for that game. The facts have spoken.

Gotta love the amateurish effort to grade a great QB performance by an Anal-ytics head.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

"Context is crucial with everything in football, and if you believe we are saying that Rodgers had a poor game last night because his grade has a minus in front of it, then let me set your mind at ease; I do not think Rodgers played a poor, subpar game last night and neither does anybody else at Pro Football Focus. Rodgers did his job last night, but his job was executing simple throws, putting the ball quickly in the hands of receivers like Randall Cobb in favorable matchups on short throws, and allowing others to do the heavy lifting.

But for a couple of poor plays, his overall grade would have matched the sort of grade that you would be expecting to see from him, but those poor plays, coupled with the relative ease of some of his scores mean his performance last night was far closer to average than it was to the fantastic performance the box score suggests. The context surrounding his grade is crucial.

The greatness of Rodgers’ performance last night was in the intangibles. Recognizing the blitz, drawing the defense offsides, catching the Chiefs in bad situations and exploiting those scenarios with simple passes to open receivers. But you cannot — and we do not try to — quantify intangibles, or what comes pre-snap. Our system grades what can be graded — the execution of the play post-snap — and in that regard Rodgers did not stand out in the same way that his statistics did."

"Context is crucial with everything in football, and if you believe we are saying that Rodgers had a poor game last night because his grade has a minus in front of it, then let me set your mind at ease; I do not think Rodgers played a poor, subpar game last night and neither does anybody else at Pro Football Focus. Rodgers did his job last night, but his job was executing simple throws, putting the ball quickly in the hands of receivers like Randall Cobb in favorable matchups on short throws, and allowing others to do the heavy lifting.

But for a couple of poor plays, his overall grade would have matched the sort of grade that you would be expecting to see from him, but those poor plays, coupled with the relative ease of some of his scores mean his performance last night was far closer to average than it was to the fantastic performance the box score suggests. The context surrounding his grade is crucial.

The greatness of Rodgers’ performance last night was in the intangibles. Recognizing the blitz, drawing the defense offsides, catching the Chiefs in bad situations and exploiting those scenarios with simple passes to open receivers. But you cannot — and we do not try to — quantify intangibles, or what comes pre-snap. Our system grades what can be graded — the execution of the play post-snap — and in that regard Rodgers did not stand out in the same way that his statistics did."

To cut to the chase, they should just say "Our grading system sucks!"

To cut to the chase, they should just say "Our grading system sucks!"

Right? If your grading system produces a negative result for a 5 TD, 0 INT, 300-yard performance in a convincing win, and requires that you issue a boatload of disclaimers to both (a) justify the grade, and (b) point out that the negative grade doesn't mean he played poorly, then your grading system is faulty at its core.

Haha they point to the fumble, which was overturned by a penalty, as a negative play. They have no idea what they are doing, that play doesn't even show up on the official stats because it never happened.

They brought Collinsworth in as part owner to lend some credibility to their brand...this type of stuff is going to make that task that much harder.

They should stick to collecting raw data; they're actually good at that.

I agree with the pff grading method in theory. I didn't watch most of the game yesterday so I can't speak to the grade on rodgers but it is technically feasible to play average or even bad and have a big day stats-wise.

Rodgers was masterful with execution and improvisation in carving up KC. The grade is pure nonsense!

I agree with the pff grading method in theory. I didn't watch most of the game yesterday so I can't speak to the grade on rodgers but it is technically feasible to play average or even bad and have a big day stats-wise.

It's possible to play poorly and put up good numbers, yes.

It's not, however, possible to have a dominant statistical day, on which a player accounts for all 5 of his team's TDs, does not turn the ball over, and eclipses 300 yards, all in a comfortable win against a top-5 pass defense (over the last 3 years) and play even average football.

Rodgers played to his usual fantastic standard yesterday. This grade is nonsense.

It's possible to play poorly and put up good numbers, yes.

It's not, however, possible to have a dominant statistical day, on which a player accounts for all 5 of his team's TDs, does not turn the ball over, and eclipses 300 yards, all in a comfortable win against a top-5 pass defense (over the last 3 years) and play even average football.

Rodgers played to his usual fantastic standard yesterday. This grade is nonsense.

technically, you're wrong...it is possible, but i'm assuming that wasn't the case yesterday

obviously a crazy hypothetical scenario, but say a guy goes 5/9, and all 5 completions are screen passes that go 70 yards each for touchdowns, and he throws another 4 horrible balls that are dropped by the defenders...would you say he had a great game?

again, an absurd example of course, but the reasoning PFF gives for their grading system makes sense

from seeing some highlights, it was his timing and accuracy that was incredible last night, not necessarily the degree of difficulty of the throws and him dropping them into tight windows, which i believe is what PFF measures

technically, you're wrong...it is possible, but i'm assuming that wasn't the case yesterday

obviously a crazy hypothetical scenario, but say a guy goes 5/9, and all 5 completions are screen passes that go 70 yards each for touchdowns, and he throws another 4 horrible balls that are dropped by the defenders...would you say he had a great game?

again, an absurd example of course, but the reasoning PFF gives for their grading system makes sense

from seeing some highlights, it was his timing and accuracy that was incredible last night, not necessarily the degree of difficulty of the throws and him dropping them into tight windows, which i believe is what PFF measures

Uh, they also gave him a negative mark for a play that technically didn't happen. The play was negated by a penalty but they graded him on it anyways. That's ridiculous.

So it's like style points and the degree of difficulty that's important to them. They should take up judging Olympic diving and gymnastics then. You know - sports that don't have actual scores but just opinions of the judges that determine the winners. The NFL already has a group that fulfills that role. They're called the game officials. They have to wear stripes because they should be in jail.

IMO

Degree of difficulty? How the hell would they know? Isn't being able to find "easy throws" a good thing? I believe that's called, reading defenses.

Degree of difficulty? How the hell would they know? Isn't being able to find "easy throws" a good thing? I believe that's called, reading defenses.

That's kind of the point. They don't assume to grade pre-snap adjustments as that is just about impossible to quantify. And for a good QB, the better he is at that part of the game, the easier the throw should be after the snap. Which is exactly what they state in clear print above.

I'd love to hear the analytics lovers over at WGR discussing this today

you are conflating two disassociated entities. this doesn't mean there is an problem with football analytics as a field (and thereby, "the analytics lovers over at WGR") - it just mean's there's an issue with PFF's analytics.

That's kind of the point. They don't assume to grade pre-snap adjustments as that is just about impossible to quantify. And for a good QB, the better he is at that part of the game, the easier the throw should be after the snap. Which is exactly what they state in clear print above.

Right, so a good QB in their model gets zero points for making good reads that allow him to make "easy throws" because he's just expected to do that? And again, they say they don't measure intangibles like pre-snap reads but are assigning a degree difficulty to a throw none of these "analysts" have ever made. It's a bunch of "yea that looked like a simple, easy throw", so that's zero points. Yet a bad QB making that same throw receives a positive grade? What sense does that make? Surely the fact that not every QB can make the "easy throws" should result in a positive for all QBs but I guess that would make it too easy.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

you are conflating two disassociated entities. this doesn't mean there is an problem with football analytics as a field (and thereby, "the analytics lovers over at WGR") - it just mean's there's an issue with PFF's analytics.

There isn't a problem with football analytics as a field. There is a problem with some people, WGR included IMO, that think they are the be all end all. Like they said in their response, there are things (many in my opinion) that are nearly impossible to quantify. Analytics are a piece of the puzzle, not the whole thing

PFF makes some valid points in defense of their grade.

But still...

By their own admission, Rodgers made two beautiful throws for TDs. But somehow, two bad plays (one of which, never officially happened) offset those two good TD passes. Their weighting system seems broken.

And while they rated many of Rodgers' completions as easy, there's something to be said for a QB who can read coverages, correctly identify mismatches, and get the ball to playmakers while making it look easy. Hasn't Brady's recent career been about just this?

Rodgers did his job very well. If PFF thinks his performance warrants a negative score, PFF needs to rework its scoring system. I don't think GB's coaching staff is going to tell Aaron he had a subpar day.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Don't be fooled by his 5 TD, no int, 300 + yard night against a good defense... It was apparently a miserable performance.

PFF has graded him a -.8 for that game. The facts have spoken.

Yes, I spelled his name wrong.

Its could only have been a -.8 on the Aaron Rodgers scale. In other words slightly below average FOR HIM. Peyton came in at a -25 and Colin kaep was -2,446,544 in this point system. Edited by over 20 years of fanhood