Bills activating IK to 53

YoloinOhio

i really don't get it

Oh it sounds like his roster spot doesn't count while he is suspended

Winner, winner.

Dareus's roster spot doesnt count this week. Neither does IK's while he's suspended. If we can activate him without it taking up a spot, then it is the smart thing to do.

Whaley goin rouge again!

Lol people r so dumb

I honestly thought this right away suspended players don't count but I wasn't sure of rule with practice squad or he might have to clear waivers in 4-6 weeks and could lose him then (but if injuries happen in those week) we cover our selfs

My fantasy league has two ir spots and I have two guys who will be back in 4 weeks sitting there it's what smart gms do ;)

That's honestly a great move to make. The guy is going to be suspended for 4 games and won't count against the active roster. This holds a spot on the active 53 for a guy that they may not want to let go into waivers/or let go at all at this point for when Dareus returns next week.

That's honestly a great move to make. The guy is going to be suspended for 4 games and won't count against the active roster. This holds a spot on the active 53 for a guy that they may not want to let go into waivers/or let go at all at this point for when Dareus returns next week.

Does this also free up an extra practice squad spot?

Lol people r so dumb

I honestly thought this right away suspended players don't count but I wasn't sure of rule with practice squad or he might have to clear waivers in 4-6 weeks and could lose him then (but if injuries happen in those week) we cover our selfs

My fantasy league has two ir spots and I have two guys who will be back in 4 weeks sitting there it's what smart gms do ;)

Whaley is batting about 1.000 lately. Go bills. we finally have this thing right. we'll see if it translates to the field, but the management of the team is in good hands

Does this also free up an extra practice squad spot?

Do the 4 games on the active/suspended list count long term against practice squad eligibility?

If he's on the active roster then I believe it does. I don't think you can designate a player to the active roster even while he is under the suspension and have that suspension count in both placed. Granted I don't think the suspension would count unless he was on the active roster. Similar to what Spikes is facing right now. If a team signs him he needs to be on the active roster to serve the suspension and not on the PS. At least from my understanding.

@viccarucci: With Enemkpali's expected 4-game suspension, #Bills will look to add a player to 53-man roster so today's cut could be re-signed soon.

@ChrisTrapasso: Didnt think #Bills would have to cut anyone with IK being on suspended list. Guess they did. Now they wait to see if Thompson clears waivers

@ChrisTrapasso: Got it. IK suspension isn't "official" yet. When it is, he won't count toward 53man roster altho he's on it. Then Fluellen likely re-signed.

@mikerodak: Enemkpali will be eligible to return to the Bills active roster on Monday, October 5, per NFL spokesperson.

Whaley is batting about 1.000 lately. Go bills. we finally have this thing right. we'll see if it translates to the field, but the management of the team is in good hands

Its really amazing to see all of these little strategy moves that us fans would never think of, and that we havent seen from this team in decades. Whaley gets it. We have a FO that knows how to approach roster building strategy AND contract strategy. There's so much more that goes into building a winning team than just hitting on draft picks.

In Doug I trust

Its really amazing to see all of these little strategy moves that us fans would never think of, and that we havent seen from this team in decades. Whaley gets it. We have a FO that knows how to approach roster building strategy AND contract strategy. There's so much more that goes into building a winning team than just hitting on draft picks.

In Doug I trust

I know. In the past whenever the Bills signed a practice squad caliber player who was facing suspension for breaking someone's jaw, they didn't properly perform a series of administrative steps that are brilliance.

I think people are missing the point. If they ever want to use him, he needs to spend 4 weeks on the active roster to serve the suspension. He can't do that on the practice squad. Literally every GM in the history of the league would make this move if they were not planning to cut the guy.

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/09/buffalo_bills_de_ik_enemkpali_added_to_active_roster_suspended_four_games.html#incart_river

According to this article, "To make room for Enemkpali on the active roster, the Bills released defensive lineman Andre Fluellen"

yep. Apparently, they can re-sign him tomorrow. Something about they had to wait until the IK suspension was official so the roster spot was officially open. Edited by YoloinOhio

Fluellen release makes some sense. As a vested vet, his salary would have been guaranteed had he been on the active roster after Saturday.

GUARANTEED SALARY FOR VESTED VETERANS

Any vested veteran (at least 4 years of service time) who is on the team’s 53-man roster for the first game of the season is entitled to termination pay (if he’s never received termination pay before), which means that his base salary is essentially guaranteed for the year. This is why you will see teams releasing marginal veteran players prior to week 1 and then immediately re-signing them early the following week. There is also an in-season termination pay that applies to vested veterans signed during the season, which essentially guarantees the player 25% of the salary they would have received if not for being released (again, if they haven’t already received termination pay).

http://russellstreetreport.com/2015/08/17/baltimore-ravens-salary-cap/ramificaitons-cutdown-days-rule-51/

yep. Apparently, they can re-sign him tomorrow. Something about they had to wait until the IK suspension was official so the roster spot was officially open.

Fluellen release makes some sense. As a vested vet, his salary would have been guaranteed had he been on the active roster after Saturday.

GUARANTEED SALARY FOR VESTED VETERANS

Any vested veteran (at least 4 years of service time) who is on the team’s 53-man roster for the first game of the season is entitled to termination pay (if he’s never received termination pay before), which means that his base salary is essentially guaranteed for the year. This is why you will see teams releasing marginal veteran players prior to week 1 and then immediately re-signing them early the following week. There is also an in-season termination pay that applies to vested veterans signed during the season, which essentially guarantees the player 25% of the salary they would have received if not for being released (again, if they haven’t already received termination pay).

http://russellstreetreport.com/2015/08/17/baltimore-ravens-salary-cap/ramificaitons-cutdown-days-rule-51/

Dang. Whaley is even more on the ball than I thought. Maybe this is SOP, but it seems pretty shrewd to me.

I know. In the past whenever the Bills signed a practice squad caliber player who was facing suspension for breaking someone's jaw, they didn't properly perform a series of administrative steps that are brilliance.

I think people are missing the point. If they ever want to use him, he needs to spend 4 weeks on the active roster to serve the suspension. He can't do that on the practice squad. Literally every GM in the history of the league would make this move if they were not planning to cut the guy.

So you are saying it's not pure genius??? :lol:

You are right on....a practice squad player that you can't activate until 4 weeks AFTER you need them is pretty much pointless.

It will be interesting to see if the league looks at this as a sham.......promoting a player to serve a suspension when he wasn't going to play anyway.....perhaps that is why they are trying to sell the idea that they promoted him to prevent them from losing him.

In Doug I trust

He's playing chess in a way

Sometimes moves people don't like but they could to lead to moves like dareus

This is using the system to there advantage an extra roster spot for 4 weeks I love it

In Doug I trust

The whole cash to cap thing was in the way for moves like this. Ralph didn't have the funds to do a lot of maneuvers like this and the large signing bonuses.

So you are saying it's not pure genius??? :lol:

You are right on....a practice squad player that you can't activate until 4 weeks AFTER you need them is pretty much pointless.

It will be interesting to see if the league looks at this as a sham.......promoting a player to serve a suspension when he wasn't going to play anyway.....perhaps that is why they are trying to sell the idea that they promoted him to prevent them from losing him.

The salary is up to at least league minimum, even though its going to charity, so there is that. He is not a vested Vet, so isn't guaranteed for the year, but they do have to include the money that he's technically earning towards cap dollars. Think that is the only negative outside of exposing player to wavers to move him up.

I believe the suspension is still served if he was on the PS or not, he would not be able to practice or be put on the active roster to play in a game for 4 weeks though. This move doesn't change anything except that it now allows them to protect him from getting picked up by another team off the practice squad and it won't cost them a roster spot or a practice squad spot because on the active roster he can be added to the suspended list.

The move has nothing to do with h8m serving the suspension (he would be doing that anyway on the practice squad) it's about protecting him from getting picked up and freeing up a practice squad spot while he sits out

The NFL just hadn't made his suspension official until today which is what they needed to do for the Bills to add him to the suspended list

Edited by apuszczalowski

Dang. Whaley is even more on the ball than I thought. Maybe this is SOP, but it seems pretty shrewd to me.

It is practical, not shrewd. Shrewd is when Whaely finagles a trade for something more than what he gives up. So far Doug has not shown that he is shrewd.

Is there ANY way that we can keep Rex from naming IK his captain for the Jets game, and I'm serious... I get that it's his team, he can't be told every step of the way by the fans, of what to do, but it comes across a such a classless way to go about naming captains, to only name people who can needle the opponent, instead of rewarding an in-house legit leader. Perhaps could be part of the reason why his Jets teams fell apart towards the end, because instead of naming a real captain, they would name Aaron Maybin as captain twice in one year.

It is practical, not shrewd. Shrewd is when Whaely finagles a trade for something more than what he gives up. So far Doug has not shown that he is shrewd.

Jerry Hughes says hi, and, to a lesser extent, Thad Lewis (roster cutdown trade for a 3rd string MLB we were about to cut, and we got several starts and about .500 ball out of him, if I remember correctly). McCoy reserves judgment. Edited by BuffalothruMyVeins

From what I' know of the rules if they reached an injury settlement which is says they did, the Bills can not resign him regardless of what else happens. Even if no other team wants him and he's basically a FA no team is allowed to sign anyone that they give an injury settlement too.

@ChrisTrapasso: Didnt think #Bills would have to cut anyone with IK being on suspended list. Guess they did. Now they wait to see if Thompson clears waivers

Yeah think they took a play out of the NE Patriot playbook here . I doubt the league will look into this all that much as it's kind of a unique situation that likely doesn't happen very often with all the limitations around who can and can't be on the practice squad to begin with. Have to have less than 4 years, can't have been active for more than a certain number of games, in addition unlikely you were ever a very high draft pick as if you were and met the first three conditions, likely some other team would sign the player as soon as he was cut, so would never make it to the practice squad.

Sounds like Whaley is being real cute again here!! Don't you just hate it when he does that!

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch