Matt Cassel re-signed, will be #2 QB

YoloinOhio

That sounds fair to all parties. At a guess, The Texans offered him about the same amount but without the incentives (or the #2 spot which makes it seem plausible he might earn them)

Since it's guaranteed $$ as is next years salary, it's on our books whether he's here or not (unless we trade him). Cheaper to keep him.

That has been explained multiple times in multiple threads, he doesn't get that what matters is cap money.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can not imagine someone who calls himself a fan expressing this hope. As you imply, people will only turn on Tyrod if he plays badly and we lose because of his playing.

Why would a fan express eagerness for this to happen?

It's the "I can't lose" mentality that is prevalent on the this board. The Bills have disappointed us so much that some "fans" have built walls to protect them. Basically, if Tyrod plays well and "shuts him up", he will be happy because the Bills are winning. If he plays poorly and the Bills are losing, he will be happy because he told all of us it wasn't going to work...win, win....at least in the mind of some of the beaten down fans around here...

It's the "I can't lose" mentality that is prevalent on the this board. The Bills have disappointed us so much that some "fans" have built walls to protect them. Basically, if Tyrod plays well and "shuts him up", he will be happy because the Bills are winning. If he plays poorly and the Bills are losing, he will be happy because he told all of us it wasn't going to work...win, win....at least in the mind of some of the beaten down fans around here...

It goes further with many of them. I've long held that the worst thing that can happen to some people on this board is the Bills win the Superbowl.

It goes further with many of them. I've long held that the worst thing that can happen to some people on this board is the Bills win the Superbowl.

That really is the truth...the sad, sad truth.

I've said it before: as long as the players aren't horrific human beings, I don't care who it is in the uniform as long as they win.

I kept it short and sweet, but I could go on and on about some of the posters here and have made several references in the past regarding the bitching and moaning shortly following a Bills SB wiin...The "we won the SB, but" people...

I've said it before: as long as the players aren't horrific human beings, I don't care who it is in the uniform as long as they win.

:thumbsup:

Edited by ricojes

I'm not surprised TT won the starting job. Based on what I saw in preseason, though, I am surprised MC beat out EJ for #2.

EJ produced more big plays and more point-scoring drives. All I saw from Cassell is the dink-and-dunk that has thus far characterized his mediocre career.

I really thought EJ won the #2 spot easily.

I wonder what the coaching staff saw on the practice field that might not have been evident on the playing field.

I'm not surprised TT won the starting job. Based on what I saw in preseason, though, I am surprised MC beat out EJ for #2.

EJ produced more big plays and more point-scoring drives. All I saw from Cassell is the dink-and-dunk that has thus far characterized his mediocre career.

I wonder what the coaching staff saw on the practice field that might not have been evident on the playing field.

I have to believe that Cassel is the game day #2, but EJ is the #2 if we need a replacement for an extended period of time.

years? How long is his rookie contract? 10 years? When the time comes if the situation remains like it is what is a chance of a Bills extension? i say zero.

Year 3 is when you expect the leap to occur and it appeared that was happening. EJ is gone as soon as he can be the kid has been crapped on too many times.

My EJ fan theory is that MC is the #2 game time mentor. If TT does down then EJ steps up the following week and MC is the #2 game time mentor

I hate that Cassel will be the 2. EJ gets screwed

Because why? He throws a nice deep ball? Did you see the interview with Coach Lee. Basically said EJ couldn't throw accurately to the middle and left side of field. Makes him easy to defend when you roll the safety to his right all day. Something teams don't scheme for in preseason. When teams have time to prep against a QB they will plan for and take away what a QB does well and make him beat you on stuff he doesn't. So EJ showed in preseason he can throw the long ball. How many sustained drives did he have where he had to use the whole field. Maybe the coaches know more than we do? If he showed so great and should be a starter where are the #1 draft pick trades from other teams? He's got 2 more years plus an option year. If he was playing so great, other teams would look at that and at least offer a 2nd as that is basically the length of a 2nd round picks contract.

If you didn't attend SJF, you've seen EJ throw 30 passes this preseason, only 2 of which were against starters. Also, aside from his first three series against Cleveland, all were against vanilla non-blitzing defenses. Contrast that to the hundreds of passes he's thrown in OTA's and TC this summer. The coaches know what they have.

Because why? He throws a nice deep ball? Did you see the interview with Coach Lee. Basically said EJ couldn't throw accurately to the middle and left side of field. Makes him easy to defend when you roll the safety to his right all day. Something teams don't scheme for in preseason. When teams have time to prep against a QB they will plan for and take away what a QB does well and make him beat you on stuff he doesn't. So EJ showed in preseason he can throw the long ball. How many sustained drives did he have where he had to use the whole field. Maybe the coaches know more than we do? If he showed so great and should be a starter where are the #1 draft pick trades from other teams? He's got 2 more years plus an option year. If he was playing so great, other teams would look at that and at least offer a 2nd as that is basically the length of a 2nd round picks contract.

Um, the throw he made to Chris Gragg was to his left side and "dropped in a coin slot". The TD pass to Charles Clay was right down the middle. Lee did say he was inaccurate to those areas BEFORE he got there, but with proper footwork he improved.

I think we can thanks his wife for getting pregant as sounds like that was a big factor in re-signing.

Reading the good piece on Cassel today in the News, I couldn't help but think that a possible factor in his decision to stay was desire to one day become a coach. I get the sense that he thinks that Roman is really smart.

Everything I've read says the #2 QB gets about six snaps a week with the first team offense. I'm sure #3 gets less, but if we're starting at six and going down, not really much to lose there. So can't see it truely hurting him.

ChevyVan, can you expand a little more on this?

I thought the point of the scout team was to mimic the "look" of the offense they're about to face - the formations they use, the snap counts, the timing.

I never heard of the scout team QB trying to "mimic the throwing styles of the QB (their team) will play". I would think that would be very difficult and counter-productive, because the opposing QB in question may be very good indeed and changing the actual throwing style week by week would, it seems to me, degrade even a great QB's performance much less the scout team guy.

Anyway, I never heard of this mimic the throwing styles thing, but then, there's a lot I've never heard of.

Why becasue the coaches who've seeen just a bit more than you, feel Cassell is better.

I hate that Cassel will be the 2. EJ gets screwed

Um, the throw he made to Chris Gragg was to his left side and "dropped in a coin slot". The TD pass to Charles Clay was right down the middle. Lee did say he was inaccurate to those areas BEFORE he got there, but with proper footwork he improved.

Improved, doesn't mean good.

That's like little Jimmy has gotten better at not licking the school bus windows. He only does it 50 times on way to school instead of the hundred he used to. When Jimmy stops licking the windows then we can say he is good, but for now he has improved.

Edited by VABills