Matt Cassel re-signed, will be #2 QB

YoloinOhio

Your a reasonable poster that has supported EJ so ill take the critisism from ya. Rex is an idiot though. If Tyrod dosent LIGHT UP THE SCOREBOARD... man, its open season....

I've supported EJ for what I expected from him. He's ready to be a mid level QB at this point(Tannehill-esque). He can be more IMO. I think his time with the scout team will help him and add to the coaching staffs conviction that they were right in not trading him/cutting him.

Again JMO.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they don't like him I think it's due to too often poor decision making. I will grant you he looked very good in the pre-season, stronger than Cassell. But not sure that isn't because he facing very limited blitzing and game planning. So in that situation he can look good. Meanwhile maybe in practices they did blitz all three QB's and really scramble things up and in those situations EJ looked totally lost. That may be why the insiders are saying what they are and why the coaches don't have much faith in him.

As far as EJ's pre-season stats go, TT looked just as good, and again both looked great against limited game planning. So yes if the Bills offense flounders I will think of EJ's pre-season and come to the immediate conclusion that would be much better off as everything from the preseason equates 100% to the regular season. And I'm not an EJ hater BTW, just someone who's objective

I'm starting to think the insiders here are correct in what they hear in regards to EJ, and that is there are people in the Bill FO that really don't like him at all. And that is after he had a stellar pre season play, and that is at both backup and starter. All the kid did was find the end zone with TD passes.

Now after re watching his play in that Pittsburgh game in which the coaches kept putting EJ back in the game again, and again to see him finally have a bad pass / series on 4th down. To Rex's credit he didn't end EJ's play with that bad pass and put him in again to at least complete another pass before they put in Simms. Rex slapped EJ's hand on the sideline after pulling him thus giving me the impression that probably the only reason EJ is still with the team is because of Ryan.

This pre season EJ went 20 of 30 for 358 yards. 4 TD's no INT's with a percentage of 66.7%, and a passer rating of 146.9. This puts him in the company of Brees, Stafford, Bradford, and Matt Ryan. Be sure to think of this should the Bills offense falter, and fail to keep up with the Colts (Luck), Patriots (Brady) in those first two games.

I've supported EJ for what I expected from him. He's ready to be a mid level QB at this point(Tannehill-esque). He can be more IMO. I think his time with the scout team will help him and add to the coaching staffs conviction that they were right in not trading him/cutting him.

Again JMO.

I like your thought process!! I also think naming Cassel #2 helped in re-signing him, hence his contract. In Houston he would've been #3.

If they don't like him I think it's due to too often poor decision making. I will grant you he looked very good in the pre-season, stronger than Cassell. But not sure that isn't because he facing very limited blitzing and game planning. So in that situation he can look good. Meanwhile maybe in practices they did blitz all three QB's and really scramble things up and in those situations EJ looked totally lost. That may be why the insiders are saying what they are and why the coaches don't have much faith in him.

As far as EJ's pre-season stats go, TT looked just as good, and again both looked great against limited game planning. So yes if the Bills offense flounders I will think of EJ's pre-season and come to the immediate conclusion that would be much better off as everything from the preseason equates 100% to the regular season. And I'm not an EJ hater BTW, just someone who's objective

It could very well be that EJ looks bad in practice, and is making more mistakes then the other two QB's. There are some things that the fans just don't see, and the coaches do see. But then again the media and insiders here have had it in for EJ long before the pre season started. From what recall EJ looked good at training camp from the fans, and posters here. While the media and insiders were blasting him.

From what I saw in those pre season games EJ was setting protections properly, and finding the open receiver after more then one read. AND moving the ball downfield in big chunks.

The young man has far more upside then the 11 year vet Cassel at this point, and has all the tools to be that prototypical pocket passer that 95% of the other NFL teams are looking for or want. At this point he is simply lacking playing experience and confidence. Benching, and demoting tends to ruin confidence that in a young QB.

You are 100% correct tho as all three QB's looked good in pre season against mostly vanilla defenses with no real game planning behind them. My concern is TT has never even started an NFL game, so its really up in the air as to what we can expect when under extreme duress. Particularly should the run game falter at any point. We all hope for the best, and wins. I'm just not convinced Cassel is the right move as 2nd string.

I for one hope the Bills' brass exercises patience with Tyrod. I think the coaching staff is smart enough to do that.

As they were smart enough to tell EJ your the number 2 then bring journeyman junk back. Im not bashin ya but im slowly losing respect for rex especially after he calls Carpenter out publicly. EJ should be totally pissed. Freakin Cassel over EJ--with Cassel you know what you got. Its the sissy safe call. With EJ either hes going to bust out or not but his upside is still there with minimal starts. This organization still comtinues to baffle me as if their are indians making voodoo dolls and controlling them---were cursed I swear.

Again JMO.

I like this post. lets hope the Coaches keep him motivated.

I am a big TT EJM fan. Great combo to develop.

cassel is in the right place of course as the 2. just sucks for EJ. If the Kid still has the character of self, he can overcome this too.

As they were smart enough to tell EJ your the number 2 then bring journeyman junk back. Im not bashin ya but im slowly losing respect for rex especially after he calls Carpenter out publicly. EJ should be totally pissed. Freakin Cassel over EJ--with Cassel you know what you got. Its the sissy safe call. With EJ either hes going to bust out or not but his upside is still there with minimal starts. This organization still comtinues to baffle me as if their are indians making voodoo dolls and controlling them---were cursed I swear.

I going to trust Roman, Lee, and Palmer when it comes to the QBs. Let's see what happens over the course of time.

Cassel only signed with the Bills if he was named #2 QB. Rex said sure, whatever.

That's what I opined earlier. That the condition for him taking a massive pay cut was to be named the backup so he had a chance to recoup his money if TT couldn't cut it.

Cassel only signed with the Bills if he was named #2 QB. Rex said sure, whatever.

I hope so.

i was all happy as piss with TT and EJM.

That's rogue thinking.

insurance is for candied asses.

but financially it was fairly intelligent. and thats not whaleys job. someone else gets the credit for this too. and they well should

Edited by 3rdand12

I going to trust Roman, Lee, and Palmer when it comes to the QBs. Let's see what happens over the course of time.

I dont think its about trusting the coaches you mentioned, its about the final decisions that are made. And this one smells rotten to me. Hopefully TT plays awesome because if Cassel comes in once the weather changes were in trouble. My seasons are on the 50, dead on ten rows up behind the Bills bench. Pre season game number 3 , EJ and Cassel playing catch on sidelines. My son who is 12 says to me "dad, why is EJ throwing so hard and Cassel has nothing on his"? Well buddy thats easy, EJ has a very strong arm and is actually taking alot off of it and Cassel has a weak arm and is probably even putting a little into it. Anyways im not being doom and gloom but there is a reason why this guy has been bounced around like a skank at a frat party.

Again JMO.

EJ is going to get really limited reps during the regular season as the scout team QB. I don't see how this is going to help his development in the slightest.

EJ is going to get really limited reps during the regular season as the scout team QB. I don't see how this is going to help his development in the slightest.

100% of the reps with scout team vs 20% of the reps with the 1s is my point. That's why he will develop. That and a staff that knows what they are doing when it comes down to breaking down practice film.

Ah yes, because Cassel has so much leverage. This is just another bonehead move.

I wouldn't say "so much leverage," but agreeing to take the minimum, which is less than what EJ is taking, is enough leverage to bring him back and make him the backup. And even if they told him he'd be the backup, that doesn't preclude them from starting EJ if TT can't do it, because he'd still technically be the backup. ;)

Heard the David Lee interview on the John Murphy show today.

Some points:

Tyrod was quizzed by Lee on a difficult installation and Tyrod knew every new formation. Lee joked that Tyrod had a photographic memory. Regardless, that's important as we have a large playbook.

EJ- Lee mentioned that EJ has improved in accuracy since start Lee has been there. Said EJ would miss throwing to the left and middle of the field (throwing behind receivers) and that this has been corrected by working on correcting EJ's footwork.

Cassel- Sounds like Lee loves him some Cassel and calls him the glue who helps the other QB's improve.

Very well handled by the Bills FO for what they want to contractually! However, all this fan knows is what I see on the field and what I saw was:

1. Showed great stuff and really surprised at how he always looked for pass while avoiding the rush. Clearly an explosive talent who is tough to defend against and prepare for. Not a big guy though and needs a solid back-up.

2. EJ- disappointing 1st 2 years but says more about stupid expectations from this project and poor teaching by Marrone. Very nice job on field this pre-season where even with a few clear miscues, he threw the best in-game bomb for a TD this preseason against NC. Had 2 scoring TD passes to win against the Browns in crunch time, and put up maximum possible QB rating against Pitts.

TT still beat him out but impressive

3. Cassel earned his tag of Meh with his complete inability to lead the team to a TD. Hit a great percentage of his dump-off passes, but given his history of injury in the past seems completely unreasonable to expect much from him.

I really hope I am wrong, but I am counting on:

1. Our D to lead this team

2. Bummed our skill guys were hurt in pre-season but if they carry our young #1 QB and our pedestrian at best re-signed #2 we can have a good year.

3. The ST which showed great improvement last year continues on a positive track.