Matt Cassel re-signed, will be #2 QB

YoloinOhio

Can you elaborate on the flaws that you saw. Other than the bad pass on the Carolina game it looked like he actually made a substantial improvement in his game.

That being said, I think he is just fine sitting at #3 to develop more.

EJ's feet often seem out of sync with his upper body. I've elaborated on this before. Swinging his front foot out too wide, which throws off his follow-through. He gets props from me for better pocket movement. I think he's getting good coaching now. At least twice this preseason, I noticed communication issues too, which I pointed out. One play, against the Browns I think, summed it all up: a bad read lead to a wrong assignment, with miscommunication, a free blitzer up the middle, and missing the hot read. That was only against the base Pettine D. I think Roman's system and coaching will really help EJ now.

I didn't see Tyrod or Cassel make those mistakes. Even if Tyrod does, he can make up for it with his legs. But, Tyrod's gotten good coaching so far in his career. Cassel still has issues in the pocket where he doesn't anticipate throwing lanes, which led to too many tipped balls.

Not trying to be argumentative because, like most Bills fans, I've had enough of this QB competition and am just glad that we have a winner, but I don't think EJ will develop as a number 3 QB. If he was 2nd string he would get some reps with the offense. As a third stringer he will run the scout team and will have to mimic the throwing styles of the QBs the Bills will play - I think that is disastrous for his development.

Some people were saying it would be good for his development. I'm not sure.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To the guys saying this is good for EJ's development. Going from first year starter to thrid season 3rd string is not good for ones development. Lets not kid ourselves and quit trying to paint this as a rosey picture for EJ. Hes stuck in an organization that does not value him. 3rd string QB is alot closer to out of the NFL than it is to starter.

How is this good for his development? If Tyrod gets us 7-9 this year then there will be a brand new competition next training camp? What would he have to do then to win the job? Throw 9 touchdowns? Give Rex foot rubs? Seriously, EJ has one foot out the door here at this point, lets quit pretending this move, resingning Cassel is anything but that. An effort to move on from EJ Manuel.

Hell, he couldnt beat out those two scrubs, i sure as **** am moving on from him.

He will get all the reps with the scout team. As the #2 he would get about 20% of the reps with the starters.

To the guys saying this is good for EJ's development. Going from first year starter to thrid season 3rd string is not good for ones development. Lets not kid ourselves and quit trying to paint this as a rosey picture for EJ. Hes stuck in an organization that does not value him. 3rd string QB is alot closer to out of the NFL than it is to starter.

How is this good for his development? If Tyrod gets us 7-9 this year then there will be a brand new competition next training camp? What would he have to do then to win the job? Throw 9 touchdowns? Give Rex foot rubs? Seriously, EJ has one foot out the door here at this point, lets quit pretending this move, resingning Cassel is anything but that. An effort to move on from EJ Manuel.

Hell, he couldnt beat out those two scrubs, i sure as **** am moving on from him.

Depends on how much you trust the coaches to pick the right QB.

EJ's feet often seem out of sync with his upper body. I've elaborated on this before. Swinging his front foot out too wide, which throws off his follow-through. He gets props from me for better pocket movement. I think he's getting good coaching now. At least twice this preseason, I noticed communication issues too, which I pointed out. One play, against the Browns I think, summed it all up: a bad read lead to a wrong assignment, with miscommunication, a free blitzer up the middle, and missing the hot read. That was only against the base Pettine D. I think Roman's system and coaching will really help EJ now.

I didn't see Tyrod or Cassel make those mistakes. Even if Tyrod does, he can make up for it with his legs. But, Tyrod's gotten good coaching so far in his career. Cassel still has issues in the pocket where he doesn't anticipate throwing lanes, which led to too many tipped balls.

Some people were saying it would be good for his development. I'm not sure.

And EJ was running with the 3rd string OLine in that game. I'm sure the difference between the Pitt game and CLE game were very apparent to you.

I think his footwork has gotten a lot better honestly. He's still bad when he run to his left.

Everyone pointed out that the game was a blitzfest between Pettine and Ryan. I don't think that game really encompasses his ability. He did audible for the game winner though.

I'm sure I'm missing something but it is what it is. Like I said, I think he will learn and be fine as the #3 and develop more.

Edited by The Wiz

I wouldn't rule out Rogue trying to deal EJ for a pick.

I wouldn't trust the guy to watch fleas at this point. The kid was the top rated passer in the pre season...in the entire NFL! All Cassel really earned was a ticket out of town, and now returns for a lot less money.

If I'm EJ I'd be upset, and be looking for a change of scenery after this season. But that's me...

I hope (if Tyrod gets injured) that Cassel starts, so we can all see him crap the bed. Then EJM will look like a hero.

qrd59.gif

The only way EJM becomes the starter next season in Buffalo, is if Tyrod either sucks, or is injured, and then EJM comes in and leads them into the playoffs. Otherwise, they will do their best to raise his trade value, and he will be moved before next season.

Edited by HoF Watkins

He will get all the reps with the scout team. As the #2 he would get about 20% of the reps with the starters.

Man, he is done here, how motivated could he be in any capacity at all with this group of coaches, and head office in general. What did he say today? I love Buffalo? Thats a load of crap he must hate it here. Id be MF'in these guys up and down if i were him.

Quarterbacking is alot about confidence, thia is a massive blow to anyones confidence. EJ is no different than Tannehil, just that the 'Phins just put him in and let him play. We, here in Buffalo, gotta try and get fancy with him.Gotta play gamea with him, screw that, its no way to treat the only first round pick QB the organization has ever picked. This is on management. This failed experiment.

Thats all i got, sorry if its too negative for ya'll

I wouldn't trust the guy to watch fleas at this point. The kid was the top rated passer in the pre season...in the entire NFL! All Cassel really earned was a ticket out of town, and now returns for a lot less money.

If I'm EJ I'd be upset, and be looking for a change of scenery after this season. But that's me...

Yeah, when youre a former #1 in your 3rd season, who lit up and had the best QBR by far on the roster in pre-season, and youre buried behind a 6th round pick going into his 5th season whose never started a game, and a journeyman earning somewhere around league minimum.... yeah, id say that's a problem Edited by JTSP

not to be argumentative Dean, but relieving Taylor with Cassel allows the D to open up their blitz packages because Cassel isn't a threat to out run anyone to the edge.. and with those packages come coverages that will compress the field - the idea being that the ball will come out before deeper routes can complete. everything is coordinated to defend what the offense can threaten you with. is there some major flaw in Manuel's game that makes him a risk? because all i've seen makes him the more difficult QB to defend.

Doesn't sound argumentative at all. There is no one perfect way for this situation.

But I don't think this is about any particular flaw in EJ's game. I think it has more to do with which QB, operating with very very little prep during the week, is going to be more effective. I believe the coaches are more comfortable going with a guy who has been in that situation a number of times, in his career---and with different teams, under different coordinators, against different styles of defenses, etc. And, since he's a "safe" style, quick release, short pass kind of guy, perhaps a ton of prep isn't needed. Execution will be key, if Cassel has to step in. OTOH, I think EJ offers more as a starter, if he gets the necessary prep the week before, has a game plan worked to his strengths, etc. I'm not saying he CAN'T come in and run the team, should TT go down, but it might not be as safe of an option.

But Chevy Van, makes an excellent point. Playing scout QB might actually result in some regression for EJ. But if they still have Trick Shot Tanney, they might be covered there.

But hey, WTF do I know?

And EJ was running with the 3rd string OLine in that game. I'm sure the difference between the Pitt game and CLE game were very apparent to you.

I think his footwork has gotten a lot better honestly. He's still bad when he run to his left.

Everyone pointed out that the game was a blitzfest between Pettine and Ryan. I don't think that game really encompasses his ability. He did audible for the game winner though.

I'm sure I'm missing something but it is what it is. Like I said, I think he will learn and be fine as the #3 and develop more.

He had issues in the Pitt game with the delay of game penalty, but then came back with the TD to Clay. Like you said, it is what it is. I think he'd still be an inconsistent starter, probably making more mistakes than the other two guys, but I have a lot of faith in the coaches. I said after the third game that it's a wash between Cassel and EJ because EJ was at least taking chances. I always wanted Cassel to stay, though. Him being labeled 2nd string makes no difference to me.

He had issues in the Pitt game with the delay of game penalty, but then came back with the TD to Clay. Like you said, it is what it is. I think he'd still be an inconsistent starter, probably making more mistakes than the other two guys, but I have a lot of faith in the coaches. I said after the third game that it's a wash between Cassel and EJ because EJ was at least taking chances. I always wanted Cassel to stay, though. Him being labeled 2nd string makes no difference to me.

The delay of game was a clock reset thing, assuming we are talking about the same delay, but agree with the rest.

Man, he is done here, how motivated could he be in any capacity at all with this group of coaches, and head office in general. What did he say today? I love Buffalo? Thats a load of crap he must hate it here. Id be MF'in these guys up and down if i were him.

Quarterbacking is alot about confidence, thia is a massive blow to anyones confidence. EJ is no different than Tannehil, just that the 'Phins just put him in and let him play. We, here in Buffalo, gotta try and get fancy with him.Gotta play gamea with him, screw that, its no way to treat the only first round pick QB the organization has ever picked. This is on management. This failed experiment.

Thats all i got, sorry if its too negative for ya'll

Not that I think you're wrong, but I think you're wrong. :nana:

Seriously though, EJ seems like the kind of guy that thrives on overcoming adversity. Kind of like when A. Davis said they were going to score in Cleveland at the end of the game. He might not be the type of guy that calls people out but he sure knows how to instill confidence in others.

Edited by The Wiz

The delay of game was a clock reset thing, assuming we are talking about the same delay, but agree with the rest.

Seriously though, EJ seems like the kind of guy that thrives on overcoming adversity.

Maybe I missed that.

Just goes to show that even the best of us fans can make mistakes! B-)

I'm still right.

Do you disagree with that statement?

Crickets :lol:

The EJ partisanship has gone to the point of insanity. Now you're not permitted to make objective statements about what has transpired in his career.

No matter what they try to tell ya it's perfectly fine to both get excited about EJ's progress and potential, and also acknowledge the reality that he played poorly the last time he got a chance. Preferrable, even.

I don't know why this is so difficult

Seriously though, EJ seems like the kind of guy that thrives on overcoming adversity.

Your a reasonable poster that has supported EJ so ill take the critisism from ya. Rex is an idiot though. If Tyrod dosent LIGHT UP THE SCOREBOARD... man, its open season....

I hope (if Tyrod gets injured) that Cassel starts, so we can all see him crap the bed. Then EJM will look like a hero.

qrd59.gif

The only way EJM becomes the starter next season in Buffalo, is if Tyrod either sucks, or is injured, and then EJM comes in and leads them into the playoffs. Otherwise, they will do their best to raise his trade value, and he will be moved before next season.

I hope that Cassel dominates if Tyrod gets hurt. Are we the Buffalo Manuel's?