Matt Cassel re-signed, will be #2 QB

YoloinOhio

If you didn't attend SJF, you've seen EJ throw 30 passes this preseason, only 2 of which were against starters. Also, aside from his first three series against Cleveland, all were against vanilla non-blitzing defenses. Contrast that to the hundreds of passes he's thrown in OTA's and TC this summer. The coaches know what they have.

Excuse me, but your argument against Vanilla defenses go across the board. I'm just saying that it applies to TT and Cassel as well.

Preseason games are pretty much meaningless.

EJ Manuel won't seek trade from Buffalo Bills

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000524502/article/ej-manuel-wont-seek-trade-from-buffalo-bills

The re-signing of Matt Cassel has shoved EJ Manuel down the depth chart, but Buffalo's third-string quarterback isn't looking for a trade.

"I'm good where I'm at right now with the Bills," Manuel said Tuesday, per ESPN.com's Mike Rodak.

I am curious ...... Why? Is there something we fans are not privy to?

-----------------

my one argument with the writer

Actually, what Manuel was supposed to do was win this job years ago.

Actually Marc Sessler, Manuel was supposed to be developed by the coaches so that he could win this job.

[You are currently ignoring VABills]

Please fellas and ladies Please IGNORE THE TROLL

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The definition of improve is to make or become better. Better is a derivative of good. Improved is the past participle.

Yes, improve does mean to get better. It doesn't mean and never has meant good. If a kid is failing school, and improves to a D- means he's improved. Doesn't mean I want him building airplanes that I am flying on.

Which doesn't bode well if he at his best can only get to 3rd string. Not sure why people say he has so much upside, if this is all there is.

unfortunately for Manuel, this may be the perspective of potential GMs seeking QB depth in the future.

i believe Manuel earned a shot as the backup, but this doesn't bode well for his career. hoping i'm wrong, because the kid could have cashed 'em in and moped. even now, he's staying positive. just an easy guy to root for.

that said.. who's the last 3rd stringer with 3 years in the league who eventually became a starter?

unfortunately for Manuel, this may be the perspective of potential GMs seeking QB depth in the future.

i believe Manuel earned a shot as the backup, but this doesn't bode well for his career. hoping i'm wrong, because the kid could have cashed 'em in and moped. even now, he's staying positive. just an easy guy to root for.

that said.. who's the last 3rd stringer with 3 years in the league who eventually became a starter?

I truly believe EJ will get another shot to start somewhere in this league. I doubt it is Buffalo but don't completely rule it out.

Yes, improve does mean to get better. It doesn't mean and never has meant good. If a kid is failing school, and improves to a D- means he's improved. Doesn't mean I want him building airplanes that I am flying on.

This is what many are saying about Manuel, yet you fail to understand. This "D" student you reference has IMPROVED from a "F". With consistent work he CAN become an "A" student and leader of the aircraft mechanics union. Remember, Einstein was ONCE thought to be an idiot!!

This is what many are saying about Manuel, yet you fail to understand. This "D" student you reference has IMPROVED from a "F". With consistent work he CAN become an "A" student and leader of the aircraft mechanics union. Remember, Einstein was ONCE thought to be an idiot!!

So you are saying that EJ is on his way to being the next Rodgers/ P Manning/ Brees/ Brady?

The 3rd season hasn't started yet, let alone ended. And the "3rd String" designation might not be what it seems in this case. EJM will get on the field this season, if only to try to raise his trade value. We will see how he does. Regardless, it's unlikely that he will be with the Bills next season, but I could see him developing enough that a team will give him a shot to start.

I still can't figure out any reason why so many seem to want EJM to fail? It can only be because they have ripped into him, and want to be proved "right".

Romo. He was 2nd string his 3rd year after being 3rd string his prior two.

Um, the throw he made to Chris Gragg was to his left side and "dropped in a coin slot". The TD pass to Charles Clay was right down the middle. Lee did say he was inaccurate to those areas BEFORE he got there, but with proper footwork he improved.

The throw to Gragg was to his right side

Edited by billsfan_34

The 3rd season hasn't started yet, let alone ended. And the "3rd String" designation might not be what it seems in this case. EJM will get on the field this season, if only to try to raise his trade value. We will see how he does. Regardless, it's unlikely that he will be with the Bills next season, but I could see him developing enough that a team will give him a shot to start.

I still can't figure out any reason why so many seem to want EJM to fail? It can only be because they have ripped into him, and want to be proved "right".

So many?

Because why? He throws a nice deep ball? Did you see the interview with Coach Lee. Basically said EJ couldn't throw accurately to the middle and left side of field. Makes him easy to defend when you roll the safety to his right all day. Something teams don't scheme for in preseason. When teams have time to prep against a QB they will plan for and take away what a QB does well and make him beat you on stuff he doesn't. So EJ showed in preseason he can throw the long ball. How many sustained drives did he have where he had to use the whole field. Maybe the coaches know more than we do? If he showed so great and should be a starter where are the #1 draft pick trades from other teams? He's got 2 more years plus an option year. If he was playing so great, other teams would look at that and at least offer a 2nd as that is basically the length of a 2nd round picks contract.

What EJ started to do well was show pocket awareness and slide around the pocket. His footwork looks so much better than it ever has. theres more to it than we will ever know. Sometimes its just hard being a Bills fan

The throw to Gragg was to his right side

The one he's talking about was to his left.

If your assumption is that EJ is done improving, well, you're making as ass of u and mption. And I seriously hope you're not a Cassel fan if you're ragging on EJ's passing abilities. Cassel is a career 59% and 6.6 YPA passer with 101 TDs and 89 turnovers.

Great move by Whaley. We brought him back at $900,000 and played the hand well. Good for him. Just hope the extra $7 mil (Fredex) will land us Dareus at a price we can handle.

If TT plays aweseome, we could save on a QB for three years and have an amazing defense.

Actually it came out today. It is 2 million + 2.15 million in incentives so he can get his whole base salary back.

Great move by Whaley. We brought him back at $900,000 and played the hand well. Good for him. Just hope the extra $7 mil (Fredex) will land us Dareus at a price we can handle.

If TT plays aweseome, we could save on a QB for three years and have an amazing defense.

@FieldYates

Source: Matt Cassel now has a base salary of $2M, with chance to earn up to $4.15M thru incentives. His old deal had $4.15M base salary.

It was reported as a base of $2M with incentives.