QB Tyrod Taylor to start Week 1

Very interesting, Yolo. I trust Whaley, but I also don't believe he made Rex start Tyrod. Whaley may have done his part in helping Rex choose, but I can't imagine a scenario where in Rex chooses Cassel and Whaley says no, let alone Rex choosing Cassel in the first place.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't say TT has genos characters flaws, only that I see similar in game melt downs. And don't kid yourself Rex is calling the shots here. The e pattern is a jets repeat. Roman is here because he won't challenge Rex. And btw kaep got worse under roman so its not like he's a savior. Although I will concede I like him.more than marrone's approach.

That avatar is obscene, please modes, make him take it down, or do one of those blurred out things over it, please!

I just found it interesting because that old thread about who should make the decision on QB and most of the debate was between Rex and Roman. I brought up Whaley out of curiosity as to his role, and many said he has little to no say. That made sense to me.. so found this odd

I just found it interesting because that old thread about who should make the decision on QB and most of the debate was between Rex and Roman. I brought up Whaley out of curiosity as to his role, and many said he has little to no say. That made sense to me.. so found this odd

Quite odd. I do truly hope there aren't tensions between the FO and the staff.

Edited by Big C

Very interesting, Yolo. I trust Whaley, but I also don't believe he made Rex start Tyrod. Whaley may have done his part in helping Rex choose, but I can't imagine a scenario where in Rex chooses Cassel and Whaley says no, let alone Rex choosing Cassel in the first place.

the way in which Rex has spoken about TT from the beginning makes me think this too. But, the smoke about Roman wanting Cassel appears to have added merit if that's the case. And maybe Whaley intervened thinking if he's not the starter he can cut him and save cap space. Edited by YoloinOhio

The most interesting part to me is if it was Whaley who forced TT on them, he was the one who traded for Cassel and drafted EJ. So it wasn't ego. Maybe just - it was close enough of a competition that there isn't a need to pay a 2nd or 3rd QB 5 mill and he had roster spots to save and guys he can sign with that money.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The most interesting part to me is if it was Whaley who forced TT on them, he was the one who traded for Cassel and drafted EJ. So it wasn't ego. Maybe just - it was close enough of a competition that there isn't a need to pay a 2nd or 3rd QB 5 mill and he had roster spots to save and guys he can sign with that money.

Or a backup 5m. Again, I don't think there is a chance that Whaley forced Rex Ryan to start a QB that Rex didn't want to start when Rex was the guy who always loved TT and always brings him up. No way.

Or a backup 5m. Again, I don't think there is a chance that Whaley forced Rex Ryan to start a QB that Rex didn't want to start when Rex was the guy who always loved TT and always brings him up. No way.

Sounds to me like Whaley and Rex were pushing for Tyrod in the meeting. I bet Roman hardly cared either way, because he's been successful with all types of QB. The media is making it out to be more than it is.

I think there is no chance that Rex wanted Cassel to start and his GM told him it had to be TT. It's possible that Roman wanted Cassel to start but I even doubt that at this point.

There is no chance that Whaley is choosing the starting lineup, IMO--except, of course, by cutting/trading a player.

There is no chance that Whaley is choosing the starting lineup, IMO--except, of course, by cutting/trading a player.

i will amend that to say that there is no chance that Rex wants to start a player and Whaley then cuts him to get a new player to start. ;) Not to mention that they already announced who was starting, which was the only choice as well as popular choice and the other player is still on the team as of now. I expect perhaps Cassel will be released, probably to save money to sign someone we want to keep. But I sincerely doubt that Rex wanted Cassel to start and he isn't starting because of Whaley.

I also think perhaps there were a couple people on the Bills staff who were miffed by Whaley deciding to release Fred the way it happened, and are now trying to make him look bad.

i will amend that to say that there is no chance that Rex wants to start a player and Whaley then cuts him to get a new player to start. ;) Not to mention that they already announced who was starting, which was the only choice as well as popular choice and the other player is still on the team as of now. I expect perhaps Cassel will be released, probably to save money to sign someone we want to keep. But I sincerely doubt that Rex wanted Cassel to start and he isn't starting because of Whaley.

I also think perhaps there were a couple people on the Bills staff who were miffed by Whaley deciding to release Fred the way it happened, and are now trying to make him look bad.

Agreed 100%.

I don't know, 2 AFC Championships with more weapons and a better defense than that Jets team. I will take that. I think this roster with TT as the QB comes out ahead in one of them, and we see the Super Bowl again.

I mean come on, the guy took the Sanchez led Jets to the AFC championship.

he better do something here, because at end of year just saying he has a top defense that generates a lot of sacks isnt good enough. With our talent on that side of the ball, defense is a given, and he will have already inherited that. This squad has to prove its mettle on the offensive side.

Lets also think about which QB's have rings in last decade:

Brady 4 (statue)

Flacco 1 (statue)

Eli 2 (statue)

Peyton 1 (statue)

Brees 1 (pure pocket passer, left his scrambling behind in San Diego)

Big Ben 1 (not a speed burner, can extend plays with his strength and size, but definitely a pocket passer first and foremost)

Russell 1 (this is closest comparable to TT. However Russell uses running ability to complement passing game ... he's not a run-first QB. He can definitely make whole field reads and hit on deep strikes. This presence of mind was evident from the very beginning, and no I'm not seeing anything near that kind of awareness from TT).

he better do something here, because at end of year just saying he has a top defense that generates a lot of sacks isnt good enough. With our talent on that side of the ball, defense is a given, and he will have already inherited that. This squad has to prove its mettle on the offensive side.

Brady 4 (statue)

Flacco 1 (statue)

Eli 2 (statue)

Peyton 1 (statue)

Big Ben 1 (not a speed burner, can extend plays with his strength and size, but definitely a pocket passer first and foremost)

Russell 1 (this is closest comparable to TT. However Russell uses running ability to complement passing game ... he's not a run-first QB. He can definitely make whole field reads and hit on deep strikes. This presence of mind was evident from the very beginning, and no I'm not seeing anything near that kind of awareness from TT).

Nice job leaving out Aaron Rodgers

Brady 4 (statue)

Flacco 1 (statue)

Eli 2 (statue)

Peyton 1 (statue)

Apparently your math skills aren't that good. You listed 11 Super Bowl winners and you didn't even list the correct QBs that have won in the past decade. In the past decade:

Tom Brady 2

Big Ben 2 (And Ben is certainly a scrambler, had a nice 10 yard run in one of his SB victories, he isn't a statue)

Aaron Rodgers 1(you conveniently left out this QB who is also a good runner and ran for 350 yards that year he won the SB)

Peyton 1

Eli 2

Brees 1

Flacco 1

Wilson 1

And you also switch between "pocket passer" and "statue", which are 2 different traits. You aren't seeing anything from TT because you aren't looking. Two preseason games in a row TT stood in the pocket and threw from the pocket. In the last game against Pittsburgh he ran 1 time. He also converted a bunch of 3rd downs with his arm. All of this isn't proof that TT can do it during the regular season but we will find out soon enough.

His preseason stats tell the story:

0 TD passes

Per my count, 0 passes completed in the air for more than 21 yards

That's not a guy who stands in the pocket and makes full field reads. EJ consistently showed with all units he could get the ball deep and put it in the end zone

Edited by JTSP

0 TD passes

That's not a guy who stands in the pocket and makes full field reads. EJ consistently showed with all units he could get the ball deep and put it in the end zone

Hahaha, you are hilarious.

You're right. The story is written on TT. I'm not even sure why I engaged in discussion with you.

0 TD passes

Dude....seriously, you banged this same drum in the Shoutbox yesterday and got pummeled with stats that "real" QB's produced in the preseason. You must have either ignored that or are just crusading.

Hahaha, you are hilarious.

You're right. The story is written on TT. I'm not even sure why I engaged in discussion with you.

I'm not saying it is, and I sure hope he proves the doubters like me wrong.

But how about all the rah rah yahoos are already sold on the guy being the Messiah based on his running around in preseason and completing a bunch of 10 yard passes?

But how about all the rah rah yahoos are already sold on the guy being the Messiah based on his running around in preseason and completing a bunch of 10 yard passes?

Who are these yahoos?

I'm sure you could dig up one or two if you try hard enough. But most people seem to be excited about the potential they see in TT (and most of them are using a MUCH more sophisticated and nuanced lens on the different things he has done than you are), and totally willing to admit that nothing is proven yet at all.

Very few people are sure TT is going to be great or even good. Most of us acknowledge the huge gap between preseason games and the real thing, especially once opposing coaches have film. Most of us are very unsure as to how things will develop with TT. Nothing would surprise me really, good or bad. But we are excited and do see potential. That's all.

YOU'RE the one who is acting so sure about his future based on a handful of preseason plays.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

"sold on on the guy being the Messiah"? Haven't seen that. Excited about what he might be able to do? Yes - why not? I'm certainly not going to take the other approach and assume he will suck simply because he's a QB in a Bills uni. Edited by YoloinOhio

0 TD passes

3rd and 6 at BUF 28

(2:25) (Shotgun) T.Taylor pass deep right to D.Thompson ran ob at 50 for 22 yards.

https://youtu.be/iZ4Lnt9-C4A?t=35s

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

"There's more ... the piece is also equipped with a magnetic strip inside the guard so it will stick to Tyrod's helmet...."

Wow, metal helmet. I knew the players would go rogue after deflategate, but that's really pushing it...

I'm not the smartest person in the world but diamonds in your mouth while playing a contract sport seems pretty stupid to me.

Also isn't it bad to have magnets in your mouth?

0 TD passes

This is my new favorite "dumbest argument on the board." He threw 0 TD passes but led them to scoring territory like 9 of 11 drives or whatever it was. Someone posted it earlier. I didn't realize that passing TDs counted more than rushing? That is the stupidest thing that has been argued on here (and many have tried to make that argument). It is dumb. All TDs count the same. It is a QBs job to lead the team to points. Tyrod did that consistently all preseason. Will it translate? Who knows, but to try to disparage what he did on the preseason just weakens the rest of the argument. If you don't like what he accomplished over the last 4 weeks your opinion isn't objective. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I think there is no chance that Rex wanted Cassel to start and his GM told him it had to be TT. It's possible that Roman wanted Cassel to start but I even doubt that at this point.

Agreed Kelly

posts indicating the above should be ignored. If peoples favorites were always the choice Tim Tebow would be a starter. IMO

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

what little I see of Buffalo Rumbling I now just see Buffalo Grumbling. And TMZ??

If this is true.... I don't want the starting QB being so ..... bold?, flashy? nah I'll go with what The Wiz said stupid.

I read that and think RGIII and Johnny Manziel arrogance.

You would be wrong. It is awesome on so many levels. I now officially love Taylor!

When he wins a number of games I'll rethink this "flashyness"

what little I see of Buffalo Rumbling I now just see Buffalo Grumbling. And TMZ??

If this is true.... I don't want the starting QB being so ..... bold?, flashy? nah I'll go with what The Wiz said stupid.

I read that and think RGIII and Johnny Manziel arrogance.

When he wins a number of games I'll rethink this "flashyness"

You gotta be confident to win. I like it.