Who should return punts if Thigpen is cut/with Leo out?

YoloinOhio

Punt Returns  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Who should return punts?

• Robert Woods
    • Percy Harvin
    • Fred Jackson
    • Sammy Watkins
    • Other
    • Karlos Williams

I thought McKelvin should give up PR anyway but it looks like he's not an option anyway at least early in the season. Thigpen was signed to replace him there but is certainly on the roster bubble this year. If he is cut, who should return punts?

Also I can't remember if anyone else has been taking reps here in TC so if there is anyone I should add let me know. I don't know if Percy has been at PR or just KR.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hogan. I hear he's Wes Welker-like.

well, in welkers prime he was hogan-like.

isnt woods next on the chart? not saying hes my choice, but hes actually next up on the depth chart, right? id be fine with that.

Edited by NoSaint

they act like using Harvin as much as possible is a bad thing and i really don't understand why. they keep saying they want to show people he's a WR and not a gimmick player. well, he's good at the gimmick stuff too and he's a great returner. so why not use him as much as possible? it's like they are saving him for WR and that's it. we have him on a 1 yr lease so why not use him as much as we can and get our money's worth?

they act like using Harvin as much as possible is a bad thing and i really don't understand why. they keep saying they want to show people he's a WR and not a gimmick player. well, he's good at the gimmick stuff too and he's a great returner. so why not use him as much as possible? it's like they are saving him for WR and that's it. we have him on a 1 yr lease so why not use him as much as we can and get our money's worth?

maybe they will. I wouldn't read too much into what they say.

And we likely will use him several ways but he's also a head case that you have to baby a bit. Punt returner he has not been though.

I thought McKelvin should give up PR anyway but it looks like he's not an option anyway at least early in the season. Thigpen was signed to replace him there but is certainly on the roster bubble this year. If he is cut, who should return punts?

Also I can't remember if anyone else has been taking reps here in TC so if there is anyone I should add let me know. I don't know if Percy has been at PR or just KR.

Thigpen is very good imho, but we have a tough cut down.

Not Woods, not Jackson, nor Watkins

Bryce Brown, if he makes the team.

He has been on ST finally !

Sammy.

Didn't see the poll at the top. I was being sarcastic.

Better have been :death:

Hogan. I hear he's Wes Welker-like.

So Other? why cant you play by the rules?

and i thought he was Edelman like, minus the drugs

You can't have it both ways - if he's cut, he can't return punts.

:worthy:

Thigpen is very good imho, but we have a tough cut down.

Not Woods, not Jackson, nor Watkins

He has been on ST finally !

Better have been :death:

So Other? why cant you play by the rules?

and i thought he was Edelman like, minus the drugs

Thigpen was on 4 teams last year alone. Even if we cut him, we may be able to call him back in case of injury.

And we likely will use him several ways but he's also a head case that you have to baby a bit. Punt returner he has not been though.

and thats is a fact

Thigpen was on 4 teams last year alone. Even if we cut him, we may be able to call him back in case of injury.

Well we hope so right N S ?

He does have some return skills for sure

This is probably a very stupid question. But why do you not normally see players return both kickoffs and punts? It is usually one or the other, even in college. Is it that different of a skill set that is required?

Maybe its because they don't want to risk a mental mistake by a player who lets a kickoff go over his head into the endzone and doesn't down the football. Easy touchdown for other team. LOL

I really don't know.

It would be a FUBAR among FUBARs if someone did that though.

Edited by PolishDave

This is probably a very stupid question. But why do you not normally see players return both kickoffs and punts? It is usually one or the other, even in college. Is it that different of a skill set that is required?

I'd assume different timing, following different blocking, and then differences in short area quickness/agility vs top end speed.

Plus maybe a bit of hedging the injury risk across a few guys

Harvin must have problems catching punts or judging the fair catch call.

He is one of the most elusive players in the league, a kick return ninja, there must be some reason he doesnt field punts.

Im in disbelief when we trot out Robert Woods to return punts instead of Percy or Thigpen.

A lot depends on who is kept ! If Leo is put on IR & Harvin having a bigger role than just a gadget player (if thats the fact) then Goodwin i think would be a possibility & that is if he even makes it on the 53 ?

But then there is Thigpen with so we won't know till cuts are made .

I'd assume different timing, following different blocking, and then differences in short area quickness/agility vs top end speed.

Plus maybe a bit of hedging the injury risk across a few guys

this makes some sense. So harvin is leading this poll by leaps and bounds. Yet he is an experienced and accomplished KR and will be handling those. So... Is everyone saying they want him to do both?

HArvin is a returner first and foremost

But for some reason he's never been a punt returner on 3 previous teams. Not sure why.

Punt returning seems to take a few more brain cells than kick returning; have to decide when to fair catch, return it or let it go; have to understand where you are on the field, and most importantly, can't drop the ball. So I'd vote for whichever backup WR/CB/RB has the best combo of hands and brains. Speed is a secondary concern.

Edited by KD in CT

But for some reason he's never been a punt returner on 3 previous teams. Not sure why.

Punt returning seems to take a few more brain cells than kick returning; have to decide when to fair catch, return it or let it go; have to understand where you are on the field, and most importantly, can't drop the ball. So I'd vote for whichever backup WR/CB/RB has the best combo of hands and brains. Speed is a secondary concern.

now I see why they had Fred doing it at times.

Though, even he muffed some. I agree it's a very tough job.

now I see why they had Fred doing it at times.

Though, even he muffed some. I agree it's a very tough job.

I think fielding punts is one of the more difficult jobs in football. Ball is way up there, blowing around in the wind, and the guy knows there are opponents lining him up for 30 yards for a big hit. So it also take a lot of nerve.

The best halftime entertainment I ever saw was at Giants Stadium during a very cold Bills-Jets game when they pulled a guy out of the crowd to field punts from the machine. He did reasonably well, managed to catch about half of them -- of course everyone booed when he missed. Not sure I would have wanted to try it in front of 60,000 people.