Most under/over rated Buffalo Bill on the roster right now?

How many teams in the NFL have two starting-quality RTs?

Is Henderson one of the 64 best OTs in pro football? Debatable, with his streaky pass pro, poor run blocking and shortness on physicality. I would've hedged my bet.

edit- and let's be wary of that decisions in a vacuum thing. Roman's success came with the best O-line in football and perhaps the best RT in football, we have questions at quarterback and will run the ball about as much as anyone in the league even though this is Hendy's weakness, and our roster is built to win now. And our 3rd OT is a giant question mark, and we have no 4th OT. In my opinion all these things made it a good idea to stengthen RT, one of the two worst starting positions on the team.

Edited by Aaron

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Henderson one of the 64 best OTs in pro football? Debatable, with his streaky pass pro, poor run blocking and shortness on physicality. I would've hedged my bet.

edit- and let's be wary of that decisions in a vacuum thing. Roman's success came with the best O-line in football and perhaps the best RT in football, we have questions at quarterback and will run the ball about as much as anyone in the league even though this is Hendy's weakness, and our roster is built to win now. And our 3rd OT is a giant question mark, and we have no 4th OT. In my opinion all these things made it a good idea to stengthen RT, one of the two worst starting positions on the team.

All of what you state could be true and it still doesn't mean Henderson is "overrated."

Jerry Hughes is still criminally underrated among Bills fans. Last years numbers were not a fluke, and for those watching, Hughes played excellent against the run, as well. So glad we got him locked up. I think we are going to continue to see huge numbers and impact plays from 55 for years to come. It's hard with the big names on that D-line to stand out, but he beats his blocks as good or better than anyone we have. He's one of the few Bills players I can remember that fans of other teams commend more than our own fans do. I think we just have an embarrassment of riches on the D-line, so it can be easy to forget... but I think he's about to emerge as one of consistent best pass rushers in the league.

He's overrated because Erik Pears was arguably a better OT and was ragged on constantly, yet Henderson skates on by.

Only if you're particularly argumentative.

Seriously, Pears only had experience on Henderson, and Henderson's measurables are off the charts. I'd rather give the freak athlete some good coaching.

Edited by eball

Only if you're particularly argumentative.

Seriously, Pears only had experience on Henderson, and Henderson's measurables are off the charts. I'd rather give the freak athlete some good coaching.

Pears was a far better run blocker, Henderson a better pass blocker. They're comparable.

You keep setting bars for Henderson, he's a quality starter, he's better than Pears, but you take offense when someone calls him overrated? I don't see your logic. If you disagree that's fine but I see no reason why Henderson should be disqualified from the thread, yet a UDFA like Robey and a guy like Taylor who's never played are eligible.

I'm not understanding the claims McCoy is overrated before he ever hits the field for the Bills. His "down" season last year was still better than most of the leagues RB's. He's still got a few years before the running back cliff.

For me I totally agree with Bill that Mario is underrated nationally.

Over: gotta go with Henderson. I'm hoping Wood gets back to form another year removed from injury and with better guard play.

Edited by todzilla

Under: Incognito - He has looked great in the preseason game, pulling many plays.

He might not be the most underrated, but he is going to really help the team this year. I wasn't expecting much, but have been very pleasantly surprised so far.

Under: Robert Woods/Chris Hogan well underrated with regards to the lack of media attention. This could be attributed to the attention given to Watkins however. I just thought they would be getting a lot more catches this year.

Over: Bryce Brown it's laughable positively laughable that he'll make the team over Anthony Dixon!! There are several Bill's beat reporters who actually believe this and thus so does the rest of the national media who only parrot the news without bothering to visit TC or actually watch game tape. BB has done nothing to prove he belongs on this team. Dixon on the other hand has done what is asked of him without making many mistakes, plus he's a beast on special teams. And what I've heard and read a fan favorite.

Jerry Hughes is still criminally underrated among Bills fans. Last years numbers were not a fluke, and for those watching, Hughes played excellent against the run, as well. So glad we got him locked up. I think we are going to continue to see huge numbers and impact plays from 55 for years to come. It's hard with the big names on that D-line to stand out, but he beats his blocks as good or better than anyone we have. He's one of the few Bills players I can remember that fans of other teams commend more than our own fans do. I think we just have an embarrassment of riches on the D-line, so it can be easy to forget... but I think he's about to emerge as one of consistent best pass rushers in the league.

Not to me! I've seen what he's done when he's 1 on 1 against LT's and TE's in rushing situations. He's a lot stronger than he looks. He makes some of them look foolish. I watch and think this shouldn't be possible, moving a LT around like that. For doubters go watch that Lions game again. JH; should've made it to the PB, not Kyle Williams as hereterical as that sounds.

Pears was a far better run blocker, Henderson a better pass blocker. They're comparable.

You keep setting bars for Henderson, he's a quality starter, he's better than Pears, but you take offense when someone calls him overrated? I don't see your logic. If you disagree that's fine but I see no reason why Henderson should be disqualified from the thread, yet a UDFA like Robey and a guy like Taylor who's never played are eligible.

I'm not offended, I just disagree that you can call a 2nd-year, 7th round tackle "overrated" when nobody is propping him up as some superstar. He won the battle put in front of him -- to be the starter at RT. Until somebody says he's great and then he disappoints, how can he be overrated?

Edited by eball

I'm not offended, I just disagree that you can call a 2nd-year, 7th round tackle "overrated" when nobody is propping him up as some superstar. He won the battle put in front of him -- to be the starter at RT. Until somebody says he's great and then he disappoints, how can he be overrated?

The battle was a joke, eb. Kouandjio was never a real option to start. I think Henderson's a lousy starter and it gets overlooked, it's not complicated. Edited by Aaron

Not trying to hijack the thread but how can the most overrated be anyone but Wood? I believe that he is the highest paid OL and at this point is probably the worst of the 5. He has been a bad player for the last 2 years yet we still view him as a good OL. Maybe it is because of the injuries but he cant anchor anymore and the interior of the OL last year was atrocious. Everyone blames the guards but somehow absolves Wood? He was a part of the problem not a part of the solution.

The only counter is that several listed him which might mean many agree with your rating. Whoever gets this "right" in theory should be out in an island in their own a little

Most over-rated: Tyrod Taylor - he is the new unknown quantity at this level, therefor he is "the next great undiscovered QB"

Few people are projecting TT to be great. What most proponents want is an upgrade at the position. Believing that he is our best qb option is far projecting him into the elite status for qbs. The way this team is structured with a very good defense competent qb play will allow this team to be a serious team.

Our GM was very candid when describing the team's qb situation. He basically stated that all he can reasonable expect is for our starting qb to play adequately, smartly and not hurt us. Most sensible fans have few illusions where our qbs rank compared to their positional colleagues in the game.

I'm not understanding the claims McCoy is overrated before he ever hits the field for the Bills. His "down" season last year was still better than most of the leagues RB's. He's still got a few years before the running back cliff.

Over: gotta go with Henderson. I'm hoping Wood gets back to form another year removed from injury and with better guard play.

In his 'down' season McCoy rushed for more yards than any Bills RB since Travis Henry. A 1300 yard 'down' season. :rolleyes:

Not trying to hijack the thread but how can the most overrated be anyone but Wood? I believe that he is the highest paid OL and at this point is probably the worst of the 5. He has been a bad player for the last 2 years yet we still view him as a good OL. Maybe it is because of the injuries but he cant anchor anymore and the interior of the OL last year was atrocious. Everyone blames the guards but somehow absolves Wood? He was a part of the problem not a part of the solution.

I guess it depends on who is doing the 'ratings'. From this board's standpoint Wood has been run down pretty hard for the past year so I don't consider him overrated any longer. Meanwhile, everyone is jumping on board with a QB who was inconsistent in college and held Flacco's clipboard for a few years and now suddenly is going to take the Bills to the playoffs. That's what I don't get.

I originally stated Nikell Robey as my underrated player. After a little thought I want to add Stefan Charles to the list. He is unsung but quietly does a good job as a reserve.

I'm also going to add Kujo to my list as overrated. He is too slow and sluggish to develop into a quality OT. Henderson struggled last year. He is still a better option than the more highly drafted player from Alabama. Even the Alabama aficianado, NYC Bill, had qualms about him when he was drafted. And that is a very condemning comment coming from someone so unblushingly tilted toward the Crimson Tide.

Meanwhile, everyone is jumping on board with a QB who was inconsistent in college and held Flacco's clipboard for a few years and now suddenly is going to take the Bills to the playoffs. That's what I don't get.

Few people have unrealistic expectations regarding TT. As you indicated based on his limited playing time he is an unknown prospect. But that isn't the issue when rating him. The fundamental issue is does he give the team a better chance to succeed. In my view from what I have seen of him (admittedly limited) he give this team a better chance to succeed over the less than sterling qbs he is competing against.

The battle was a joke, eb. Kouandjio was never a real option to start. I think Henderson's a lousy starter and it gets overlooked, it's not complicated.

I think I'm having difficulty with your apparent lack of understanding of what the term "overrated" means. First, one needs to be highly rated -- and I've yet to see anyone assign such a rating to Henderson. I don't know how many more ways I can say this.

Lulz

I will give you credit, when I told you that SJ13 and CJ Spiller weren't anywhere near the players that fans of their hype/fame thought they were........you got downright furious.

You're wrong yet again......but it's less laughably memorable when you don't take it so personal. :lol:

I hope the multi-threat of Tyrod raises Shady back to an above average per-carry producing runner.

With Cassel in there he will be very hard pressed just to even repeat his pedestrian 4.2ypc.

Why does it matter if he has stepped on the field for the Bills?

He was available because he passes on those ground-and-pound 4 yard gains in an attempt to get bigger plays outside but what he thinks he can do no longer meshes with what he can actually do.

He's a stop and start back and with rare exception does that ability play for long.

The guys who can stay successful late in their career usually excel in tight quarters with subtle moves.

Not saying he isn't capable of it but he didn't do it last year and he sure didn't show that in the first preseason game either so based on the past 320 carries or so that's who he is.

Henderson was a rookie last year lets pump the breaks on him. Lets atleast let him play next to a guy who belongs in the nfl before we form an opinion.

Over - Mario -- not that he isnt a great player but he's not game changing great

Under- Bradham - expanded role watch this guy take off

I dont have an opinion here.

Know i dont care for and who i do. Whats nice is that most of the current Bills roster ( and i mean the 53) are pretty darned good ).

maybe the best as a whole team in quite a few years ?

I see strengths and weaknesses.

But i think most of us are pretty close to agreeing with my opinions so no need to affirm that.

Go Bills.

Oh wait? there it is!!

Its the whole damned team that is underrated isn't it ?

GO BILLS!

Henderson was a rookie last year lets pump the breaks on him. Lets atleast let him play next to a guy who belongs in the nfl before we form an opinion.

Over - Mario -- not that he isnt a great player but he's not game changing great

Under- Bradham - expanded role watch this guy take off

The thread has far more overrated votes for a player yet to start a single NFL game than it does Henderson. Why is this guy singled out as the one player we're not allowed to talk about, I wonder.

It's okay to form an opinion and adjust it as more information comes available, scientists do this all the time. The examples offered of his fake hustle were under this coaching staff, with John Miller playing next to him. He unfortunately doesn't seem to have reversed a trend that goes back to his college days.

I think I'm having difficulty with your apparent lack of understanding of what the term "overrated" means. First, one needs to be highly rated -- and I've yet to see anyone assign such a rating to Henderson. I don't know how many more ways I can say this.

Here I was thinking overrated means rated too high, regardless of how high it is.

If I tell you Billy Joe Hobert wasn't THAT bad for us, he wasn't good persay but an okay quarterback for the Bills, would it not be valid for someone to say, "Hey I think you're overrating this guy's performance."

You told me Henderson's a starting quality player and better than Erik Pears, I'm doubtful on one and disagree the other. You're telling me you don't have him rated higher than I do?

Edited by Aaron

The thread has far more overrated votes for a player yet to start a single NFL game than it does Henderson. Why is this guy singled out as the one player we're not allowed to talk about, I wonder.

It's okay to form an opinion and adjust it as more information comes available, scientists do this all the time. The examples offered of his fake hustle were under this coaching staff, with John Miller playing next to him. He unfortunately doesn't seem to have reversed a trend that goes back to his college days.

Here I was thinking overrated means rated too high, regardless of how high it is.

If I tell you Billy Joe Hobert wasn't THAT bad for us, he wasn't good persay but an okay quarterback for the Bills, would it not be valid for someone to say, "Hey I think you're overrating this guy's performance."

You told me Henderson's a starting quality player and better than Erik Pears, I'm doubtful on one and disagree the other. You're telling me you don't have him rated higher than I do?

Aaron, you seem to be missing the point. Who has rated Henderson highly? Not the media, not statistical sites like PFF, not the fans. Pears was a free agent who played miserably last year that the Bills did not re-sign. Henderson played poorly last year in his rookie season. The Bills came into camp with open competition for all OL spots outside of C and LT. Henderson won the competition at RT so he will be starting. He has great physical tools and we're all hoping he succeeds.

Again -- HOW is he overrated? Are you really this stubborn?

Aaron, you seem to be missing the point. Who has rated Henderson highly? Not the media, not statistical sites like PFF, not the fans. Pears was a free agent who played miserably last year that the Bills did not re-sign. Henderson played poorly last year in his rookie season. The Bills came into camp with open competition for all OL spots outside of C and LT. Henderson won the competition at RT so he will be starting. He has great physical tools and we're all hoping he succeeds.

Again -- HOW is he overrated? Are you really this stubborn?

I don't know where you got this notion that only All-Pros can be overrated. Its like you didn't read my last post. You just told me he's a starting quality player who's better than Erik Pears (who obviously was out of position last year). I disagree with you, so clearly you have him rated higher than I do. It's really that simple.

I'm far, very very far from sold on Tyrod. I didn't even say the "M" word, you did.

As far as Darby, for the short time he's been here there's been a lot of knee jerk about him, I think he's gonna be real good.

It was legit. You answered the question. You had a right to that.

over: EJ, TT, Cassel

under: Simms ... B-)

you are so wrong, Kyle is the man and deserves all the credit he gets.

Simms, I honestly believe has the second best arm strength on the team. He is definitely being overlooked here.

I don't know where you got this notion that only All-Pros can be overrated. Its like you didn't read my last post. You just told me he's a starting quality player who's better than Erik Pears (who obviously was out of position last year). I disagree with you, so clearly you have him rated higher than I do. It's really that simple.

I get your point. But, do you really think he is the most overrated on the team? What you are describing seems to be subtly overrated. You don't think the hype outshines the reality more for any other player?