B/R Report: Rex wants to start Tyrod, other coaches split

johnwalter

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to get my popcorn out for the battle of the insiders. :lol:

Its kinda scaring me to hear that Cassel is Greg Romans starter.

My reasoning is that looking at his overall record the Chiefs gave up a #2 pick, and gave Cassel a 67.2 mil contract, and went he 4-11 before suffering a season ending injury.

Cassel improved to 10-5 in 2010 but that might have been because he was in ex Patriots OC Charlie Weis offense for a season. The next year he goes 4-5 under Bill Muir as OC. Then in 2012 went 1-7 under Brian Deboll as OC,and was benched in favor of Brady Quinn. If the supposed insiders think that EJ's game against Houston was a disaster... then they really didn't look at some of the stinkers ole Matt has played in. 6 TD's, 12 INT's while going 1-7 in 2012

What does it say that Andy Reid didn't want the guy, and released him in favor of obtaining Alex Smith from the Niners?

With Tyrod Taylor the Ravens drafted him in the 6th round pick in 2011, and when the rest of the NFL scouts wanted him as a WR the Ravens thought to develop him as a QB. Was this Ozzie's way of flirting with a running QB which was popular back then, or did Ozzie actually see a decent starter in the rough? The guy really hasn't had enough legit NFL playing time for anyone to really know. http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/tyrod-taylor?id=2495240

Taylor played well enough in pre season for the Ravens to keep him around. http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/3/14/8216575/nfl-free-agency-quarterback-tyrod-taylor-turns-a-down-deal-from

Rex Ryan likes athletic QB's and was thinking about signing Mike Vick in Buffalo. Taylor has to be intriguing to Ryan as he loves the guys speed, and ability to scramble. Shades of Mike Vick in his heyday, and yet Vick in his 12 years in the league has only played an entire 16 games but once.

With all this controversy over who the starting QB will be once the season starts I happen to think that even the coaching staff isn't entirely certain at this point. They clearly brought in Cassel to be the starter while thinking about giving EJ more time to develop despite what the current insiders say.IMO...

While EJ may have been on a short leash and regulated to third string in the first two pre season games. The guy was impressive enough in both games to keep things interesting.

The Bills still have two more pre season games to go before Rex Ryan / Greg Roman are forced with facing the decision as to which QB to start. Who that might be at this point I don't think anyone knows just yet.

Now that's funny.

Me too. I suspect it would be Manuel. Cassel can not be a difference maker. Taylor could be, but he has never started a real game in the NFL and there will be a big learning curve. Manuel, despite the fact that this is not popular, is the best combination for Roman's offense.

I agree on both :thumbsup:

I need to get my popcorn out for the battle of the insiders. :lol:

Its kinda scaring me to hear that Cassel is Greg Romans starter.

My reasoning is that looking at his overall record the Chiefs gave up a #2 pick, and gave Cassel a 67.2 mil contract, and went he 4-11 before suffering a season ending injury.

Cassel improved to 10-5 in 2010 but that might have been because he was in ex Patriots OC Charlie Weis offense for a season. The next year he goes 4-5 under Bill Muir as OC. Then in 2012 went 1-7 under Brian Deboll as OC,and was benched in favor of Brady Quinn. If the supposed insiders think that EJ's game against Houston was a disaster... then they really didn't look at some of the stinkers ole Matt has played in. 6 TD's, 12 INT's while going 1-7 in 2012

What does it say that Andy Reid didn't want the guy, and released him in favor of obtaining Alex Smith from the Niners?

With Tyrod Taylor the Ravens drafted him in the 6th round pick in 2011, and when the rest of the NFL scouts wanted him as a WR the Ravens thought to develop him as a QB. Was this Ozzie's way of flirting with a running QB which was popular back then, or did Ozzie actually see a decent starter in the rough? The guy really hasn't had enough legit NFL playing time for anyone to really know. http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/tyrod-taylor?id=2495240

Taylor played well enough in pre season for the Ravens to keep him around. http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/3/14/8216575/nfl-free-agency-quarterback-tyrod-taylor-turns-a-down-deal-from

Rex Ryan likes athletic QB's and was thinking about signing Mike Vick in Buffalo. Taylor has to be intriguing to Ryan as he loves the guys speed, and ability to scramble. Shades of Mike Vick in his heyday, and yet Vick in his 12 years in the league has only played an entire 16 games but once.

With all this controversy over who the starting QB will be once the season starts I happen to think that even the coaching staff isn't entirely certain at this point. They clearly brought in Cassel to be the starter while thinking about giving EJ more time to develop despite what the current insiders say.IMO...

While EJ may have been on a short leash and regulated to third string in the first two pre season games. The guy was impressive enough in both games to keep things interesting.

The Bills still have two more pre season games to go before Rex Ryan / Greg Roman are forced with facing the decision as to which QB to start. Who that might be at this point I don't think anyone knows just yet.

Nihilarian, this is a far too reasoned and sensible perspective for TBD. Your points are logical, well stated, and are grounded in actual facts rather than speculations. Please learn, you'll have to start bringing your emotional biases into the process to truly survive here.

Anyhow, thanks for some sanity. I'm with you, "who knows?' at this point? The next few weeks are going to bring a lot of craziness to this board. Sit back and enjoy the show.

And heaven forbid, if whomever is named the started for week one goes out and throws a clunker, watch how this place lights up!

There's a dark side of me that would like to see that just for the amusement it will provide here. But, being a lifelong (50+ years) Bills fan, I just want to see them win, no matter whom is the QB. Oh, what Fun this is.

Edited by CSBill

Again, I can tell you as a fact that Roman wants Cassel to be his starter. If last night changed his mind somehow, that could be. But prior to last night, Roman was firmly in Cassel's corner and Roman will have a huge say in who the starter is. Translation: Cassel will probably be the starter.

If that is the case, then I certainly hope Rex gets his way.

Being happy with EJ's progression is one thing, but when people start bashing tyrod's performances this preseason, it becomes amusing. He's throwing well.

Everyone's just getting warmed up for when he makes a bad play in a game that matters. :flirt:

You know this crowd, they'll go from whistling rainbows out their ass to grabbing the pitchforks and torches for him wearing a visor in a loss.

Edited by The Wiz

Being happy with EJ's progression is one thing, but when people start bashing tyrod's performances this preseason, it becomes amusing. He's throwing well.

who is bashing TT? He's done well and had a few mistakes and led the them to 16 points??, the other young guy done well and had a few mistakes and led the them to IIRC 18 points, and Meh ???

PS game QBR's

QB1 - 123.4, and 112.5,

QB2 - 79.7 and 87.5

QB3 - ??? and DNP

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

You know, they're probably all going to suck this year. If we start Cassel, everyone's gonna be calling for Tyrod or Manuel by week 4. If we start Tyrod, everyone's gonna be calling for Manuel, and if we start Manuel.... Well, you can only imagine.

Greg Roman wants to be a head coach.

His best bet to get the attention he needs to get that shot is to win with Matt Cassel.

First....because Cassel will run the plays the way he asks and the results will be predictable and allow Roman to execute his methodical attack.

Second....and mainly IMO......because he has seen that OC's get zero credit when a QB tucks the ball on a designed pass play and runs the ball 60 yards for a TD.

That is seen as a product of the player.....not the coaches design.

Should we just trust Roman?

I know there is ever growing support here for Tyrod. I am one of those people.

But let's not forget what he did with Alex Smith.

He and Roman laid the biggest offensive beatdown in Bills history on the team when it traveled to SF three years ago.

Cassel is a slightly more broken down version of Smith......if Roman gets HIM to light it up he becomes probably the hottest HC commodity on the market by the end of the season.

If Tyrod comes in and does the Kaepernick thing......or even if he plays better.......Roman is going to get a whole lot less credit.

Personally.......from what I have seen this preseason......I don't think that Cassel will be able to survive the blocking of Wood and Incognito.

They were atrocious with Tyrod out there the other night.