B/R Report: Rex wants to start Tyrod, other coaches split

johnwalter

Nihilarian, this is a far too reasoned and sensible perspective for TBD. Your points are logical, well stated, and are grounded in actual facts rather than speculations. Please learn, you'll have to start bringing your emotional biases into the process to truly survive here.

Anyhow, thanks for some sanity. I'm with you, "who knows?' at this point? The next few weeks are going to bring a lot of craziness to this board. Sit back and enjoy the show.

And heaven forbid, if whomever is named the started for week one goes out and throws a clunker, watch how this place lights up!

There's a dark side of me that would like to see that just for the amusement it will provide here. But, being a lifelong (50+ years) Bills fan, I just want to see them win, no matter whom is the QB. Oh, what Fun this is.

I don't really know why but I can't help myself but root for EJ in all this.

I dunno, perhaps its because he is Bruce Smiths godson. It might be its because he is man who is has a clean background and has no skeletons in his closet. (didn't steal a lap top or cheat on tests, and get thrown out of school.) Maybe its because I read about how smart he is, and how hard he works at his craft from other players. Maybe because i watched him smile, and be happy after he learned he was drafted by the Buffalo Bills! That he actually wanted to come to Buffalo.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap2000000163754/Bills-draft-EJ-Manuel-No-16

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great. So we already have dissention within the coaching staff? Rex wants TT and Roman wants Cassel? This team...

There is ALWAYS dissention in coaching staffs. No matter where you are, its how it's handled that matters. Typically the 53 man cut down day is a no holds barred tug of war between everyone trying to keep "their guys". Every has their say but once the final decisions are made all that's over with and they coach the players they have to the best of their ability.

Don't know this but I imagine at that point in his career that Harbaugh made the call and not Roman. Maybe Roman agreed with it, who knows. But I would bet anything, as a former QB and power hungry guy, Harbaugh decided who played.

If I'm not mistaken I can recall reading that after drafting kaepernick 49ers HC Harbaugh stated he got the best player in the draft. So i would have to agree with this thought.

How many QBs who've been coveted as backups after four years in the league have gone on to be great starters?

We signed one of those. Brian Brohm. These guys are career backups for a reason.

Dunno but I think it says a lot his former Ravens OC now coaching Denver wanted him and he decided to come here instead

Selecting a QB will be one of the easiest positions for the coaches to make. It is safe to say the call has already been made just not announced. Casel and Taylor are average QBs. EJ is getting better and will become an average QB with a little more experience.

The coaches just have to decide which type of mediocrity will get the most wins.

Taylor will be a lot of fun to watch. Cassel will play a steady boring game.. EJ will struggle then shine, struggle then shine.

WRs will be the most difficult cuts. A lot of talent in #4 through 9. Easley, Hogan, Goodwin, Thigpen, Davis and Deonte whatever his last name is.

EJ is the guy who has had a horrible game up until the 4th quarter stats wise, but then you look at the score and it's 20-17 either way and we have the ball to either take or extend the lead...it's very frustrating but he seemingly makes more plays when the chips are down, and that's something that shouldn't be discounted. He is very scrappy and resilient and shakes off a poor 3 quarters to finish strong, for the most part...

And all of them had Joe Flacco to beat out, right? Or, I don't know, Montana and Favre. And Favre was traded from Atlanta because Jerry Glanville is an idiot.

Everyone you mention was widely known as an imminent starter, just waiting in the wings. Tyrod Taylor was never that. He was backing up a horrible QB.

wow......wow!

Not sure what you do for a living, but I'm confident it's not an NFL scout.

And the waiting in the wings thingy......hindsight is a wonderful thing, aint it?

To the objective, educated observer its not close....EJ has separated himself as the starter

Lenscrafters

You are assuming it was Roman's choice in San Francisco. People should be smart enough to realize that just because Jim Harbaugh had a guy on his roster who he drafted himself, had a cannon for an arm, ran like a gazelle and decided to start, that has absolutely zero correlation whatsoever with Roman preferring a mobile QB.

Not really assuming that, I would think he had some input as OC. I also understand the dynamics of a HC wanting the player he drafted to play at some point. Don't assume because we don't always post all of our thoughts at one time, that we aren't as 'smart' as you are.

The reason I mentioned Roman is because some posters here are using the starting QB discussion as a vehicle for Roman to use to help get a head coaching gig.

All posts here don't require an insult in return if you can't understand everything that is being discussed. It's ok not to be as smart as you think you are, nobody really cares.

Not really assuming that, I would think he had some input as OC. I also understand the dynamics of a HC wanting the player he drafted to play at some point. Don't assume because we don't always post all of our thoughts at one time, that we aren't as 'smart' as you are.

The reason I mentioned Roman is because some posters here are using the starting QB discussion as a vehicle for Roman to use to help get a head coaching gig.

All posts here don't require an insult in return if you can't understand everything that is being discussed. It's ok not to be as smart as you think you are, nobody really cares.

Sorry if I came off as condescending, I apologize. It's just that there is this constant narrative on here that Roman wants/needs a mobile a QB to fit his scheme and it's almost completely baseless.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Sorry if I came off as condescending, I apologize. It's just that there is this constant narrative on here that Roman wants/needs a mobile a QB to fit his scheme and it's almost completely baseless.

People need to listen to his WGR interview. He will fit an offense to any QB as long as they are consistent.

You are assuming it was Roman's choice in San Francisco. People should be smart enough to realize that just because Jim Harbaugh had a guy on his roster who he drafted himself, had a cannon for an arm, ran like a gazelle and decided to start, that has absolutely zero correlation whatsoever with Roman preferring a mobile QB.

Good article about the switch . http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/0ap1000000132169/article/colin-kaepernick-over-alex-smith-the-truth-about-a-bold-move

Fair enough. Thanks!

It isn't baseless. A running QB makes your run game more dynamic. If they really want to run 50 times a game, they will need a guy like Tyrod.

Also, I am watching the game again right now and I have to say, big difference between Tyrod and EJ when it comes to ball placement and ability to change velocity. I still can't see them starting anyone but Tyrod at this point.

Edited by Luka

It isn't baseless. A running QB makes your run game more dynamic. If they really want to run 50 times a game, they will need a guy like Tyrod.

Also, I am watching the game again right now and I have to say, big difference between Tyrod and EJ when it comes to ball placement and ability to change velocity. I still can't see them starting anyone but Tyrod at this point.

You are telling me what you think makes sense, not what Roman thinks makes sense. I'm not guaranteeing that Cassel starts but again, I can tell you that Roman wants Cassel as his guy for this offense. I think Taylor is starting to make a very compelling case and if reports are true that Rex wants Taylor, then I gotta imagine it's a toss up at this point. EJ Manuel is not part of this equation. I'm sorry.

wow......wow!

Not sure what you do for a living, but I'm confident it's not an NFL scout.

And the waiting in the wings thingy......hindsight is a wonderful thing, aint it?

Lenscrafters

Yeah that was one of those posts that I will now associate with the poster every time I see them post anything.

Dunno but I think it says a lot his former Ravens OC now coaching Denver wanted him and he decided to come here instead

EJ is the guy who has had a horrible game up until the 4th quarter stats wise, but then you look at the score and it's 20-17 either way and we have the ball to either take or extend the lead...it's very frustrating but he seemingly makes more plays when the chips are down, and that's something that shouldn't be discounted. He is very scrappy and resilient and shakes off a poor 3 quarters to finish strong, for the most part...

TT had a very good drive that ended with a doink off of the goal posts.

Then what exactly happened? He had a bunch of mediocre drives and he scrambled a bunch.

Do you think TT or Cassel would have fared any better the way the line was allowing blitzers through like water over Niagara?

and yet my friend you will condescending again soon enough. You just can't help yourself. Remind me how many times has it been now where you said you were going to stop arguing about the QB's???

I'm sorry did I miss the LINK where Roman said he wants Meh as his starter?

Rex's input should be be describing to the offensive coaches what the opposing team's defenses will throw at each quarterback the Bills are considering keeping on the roster. Then let the offensive minds make the decision on QB roster order. That's it.

If Rex has more of a say so, he'd better be right this time. If he's wrong, again, adios Coach Ryan and Mrs. Coach Ryan. "Cannot play with them [him], cannot win with them [him], cannot coach with them [him]. Can't do it. I want winners."

You are telling me what you think makes sense, not what Roman thinks makes sense. I'm not guaranteeing that Cassel starts but again, I can tell you that Roman wants Cassel as his guy for this offense. I think Taylor is starting to make a very compelling case and if reports are true that Rex wants Taylor, then I gotta imagine it's a toss up at this point. EJ Manuel is not part of this equation. I'm sorry.

Yeah that was one of those posts that I will now associate with the poster every time I see them post anything.

You should probably check the poster's history then ask yourself if you think he was serious.

Nor the numerous times many others here use it.

Its not an insult. It's an expression of not being impressed with another 10 year pro with 4 teams in his CV

i know what it is. It's one of those 'words' that just annoys the crap out of me.

At this point, just pick the quarterback that will cost you the least amount of games. None of these guys are going to magically turn into pro bowlers who decide the fate of the season. It's not even mediocrity. It's arguably, the worst group of position players on the entire team. That's exactly how bad the Buffalo Bills QB situation is. At least the Jets had a #1 and #2. They may both suck, but they knew who was who in their minds. How many starting QB battles are unfolding in the NFL right now? How many times in the history of the league has the head football coach not declared a starter until the last possible minute before week 1 of the REGULAR SEASON??? And he talks about it like it's an advantage haha. Believe me, no opposing defense is wasting their time over-preparing for any of the Bills quarterbacks. That would be foolish of them considering all the talent elsewhere on the field.

Concerning ourselves with this mess of a situation is useless. The organization needs to make sure that the rest of the squad is prepared to compensate for what will be the least productive position on the roster.

At this point, just pick the quarterback that will cost you the least amount of games. None of these guys are going to magically turn into pro bowlers who decide the fate of the season. It's not even mediocrity. It's arguably, the worst group of position players on the entire team. That's exactly how bad the Buffalo Bills QB situation is. At least the Jets had a #1 and #2. They may both suck, but they knew who was who in their minds. How many starting QB battles are unfolding in the NFL right now? How many times in the history of the league has the head football coach not declared a starter until the last possible minute before week 1 of the REGULAR SEASON??? And he talks about it like it's an advantage haha. Believe me, no opposing defense is wasting their time over-preparing for any of the Bills quarterbacks. That would be foolish of them considering all the talent elsewhere on the field.

Concerning ourselves with this mess of a situation is useless. The organization needs to make sure that the rest of the squad is prepared to compensate for what will be the least productive position on the roster.

I don't agree with the bolded. The difference between preparing for TT and Cassel is very big. If they've prepared for an immobile QB that just stands in the pocket, they'll find it harder to deal with what TT brings, in addition to all the other weapons.

Totally ridiculous statement.

Just because the situation ended last year as a big problem doesn't mean it can't be fixed. Just because someone wasn't great before doesn't mean they can't get better and continually improve. Taylor was on a very good team for 4 years. Ozzie Newsome doesn't make many mistakes in judging talent. Taylor learned for four years, that used to be what many QB's needed to do before they got a chance to play. Cassel has had success when surrounded by talent, he is surrounded by a lot of talent now. EJ looks to be improving. All these QB's have a great OC to work with. I'm optimistic, no reason not to be. If the QB's looked awful this preseason I would be worried, but they have looked good, and this is with most of the talent not playing. Things change, sometimes for the better. It's not that unusual.

Edited by klos63