B/R Report: Rex wants to start Tyrod, other coaches split

johnwalter

The one weird thing on the 49ers offense that we probably overlook too much here is that their skill players were garbage. The rest of that team was really good except for the guys that Kaep had to get the ball to. I often wonder did their offense stall because the QB regressed, coaching worsened or weapons were too easy to defend? The reality is it's probably a combination of all of it.

I've thought that too but upon closer inspection I have to admit that Frank Gore, Vernon Davis and Anquan Boldin were really quality players.

Two years ago, for a Roman offense, I take them over Shady, Clay and Woods of today.

As much as I love watching Kaepernick throw those frozen ropes, his talent giveth and his unrefined game as a passer taketh away.

What they have lacked is a #1 and #3 WR like the Bills currently have in Watkins and Harvin.

One of the surprising things about Tyrod in the little bit of game time I've seen is is touch on short throws.

Kaep...and EJ....struggle with that part of the game and they leave a lot of first downs on the field because of it.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it was just made up by someone.

Yeah, I'm not getting into the whole "I don't believe you" thing. If he wants to share info, that's fine. I can decide for myself if it's believable. I just was curious at what point Roman allegedly said this.

No it was just made up by someone.

Haha. Good one. Yeah it was made up by the same guy who shared with this website that Mario Williams was visiting the Bills first before anyone else had that story. I've never shared anything that wasn't true. But I'm going out of my way to "make up" that Greg Roman favors Matt Cassel in the QB competition. Let me ask you this: if I was going to make something up, don't you think I'd come up with something a little more exciting than that?

I don't want to go back and read this entire thread but my question about Roman wanting Cassel is when did he reveal this? Was it pre-camp or in the last week?

someone head from a guy who heard from a guy who heard it from an undisclosed source.

Sorry. My bad please excuse my taunting

Haha. Good one. Yeah it was made up by the same guy who shared with this website that Mario Williams was visiting the Bills first before anyone else had that story. I've never shared anything that wasn't true. But I'm going out of my way to "make up" that Greg Roman favors Matt Cassel in the QB competition. Let me ask you this: if I was going to make something up, don't you think I'd come up with something a little more exciting than that?

I wouldn't take it personally. It's odd that people chase away people with inside info by trying to discredit them. All that happens is people stop sharing it. We should appreciate it and people will establish credibility when what they share comes to fruition. There are about a dozen or so people here that have been proven credible. Some people just can't wrap their head around how that information gets shared. It's really not that complicated; they aren't nuclear codes that are protecting. Edited by Kirby Jackson

someone head from a guy who heard from a guy who heard it from an undisclosed source.

Sorry. My bad please excuse my taunting

Good morning from the Rocky Mountains! Did you get into anything good last night? This has now become kind of amusing to me, I must admit. The funny thing is, if I told you who told me this, you wouldn't believe me anyway and then that would start a whole new debate. It's a good thing I don't care if you believe me or not.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

had it not been for the angst against EJ I might give it some thought

why, yes it has.

Ehh f*** it, I got 15 minutes to kill here.

I have no angst against EJ. I am 100% objective when it comes to the guy. He is EXACTLY what he is. He has improved from last preseason (I would hope so) and I would strongly favor they keep him as (subject to change but as of now) their third string QB. I think this Bills team is REALLY good and I think they can win this year with any of the three guys.

I would argue, and I'd be shocked if anyone disagreed with me on this, that YOU, my friend, and your legion of Tim Tebow-like EJ fanatics, have much angst against Matt Cassel. You can't even say his name, you make excuses for any success he has had and then you make excuses for any failures of EJ Manuel. I am the one who can look at both guys and tell you exactly what they are. Ya know what? Cassel is "Meh," I agree (it's just so dorky when you say it, I'm sorry). But EJ has yet to achieve even "Meh" status in the league and it's quite possible that he never will. My issue is with you ragging on Cassel so hard when the guy you are so gaga over aint done s**t.

I have no angst against EJ. I am 100% objective when it comes to the guy. He is EXACTLY what he is. He has improved from last preseason (I would hope so) and I would strongly favor they keep him as (subject to change but as of now) their third string QB. I think this Bills team is REALLY good and I think they can win this year with any of the three guys.

I would argue, and I'd be shocked if anyone disagreed with me on this, that YOU, my friend, and your legion of Tim Tebow-like EJ fanatics have much angst against Matt Cassel. You can't even say his name, you make excuses for any success he has had and then you make excuses for any failures of EJ Manuel. I am the one who can look at both guys and tell you exactly what they are. Ya know what? Cassel is "Meh," I agree (it's just so dorky when you say it, I'm sorry). But EJ has yet to achieve even "Meh" status in the league and it's quite possible that he never will. My issue is with you ragging on Cassel so hard when the guy you are so gaga over aint done s**t.

Cassel's past 4 seasons were worse than EJ's career has been. And Cassel can't blame inexperience and bad coaching.

I would argue, and I'd be shocked if anyone disagreed with me on this, that YOU, my friend, and your legion of Tim Tebow-like EJ fanatics, have much angst against Matt Cassel. You can't even say his name, you make excuses for any success he has had and then you make excuses for any failures of EJ Manuel. I am the one who can look at both guys and tell you exactly what they are. Ya know what? Cassel is "Meh," I agree (it's just so dorky when you say it, I'm sorry). But EJ has yet to achieve even "Meh" status in the league and it's quite possible that he never will. My issue is with you ragging on Cassel so hard when the guy you are so gaga over aint done s**t.

I guessed I missed the 15 minute window.

Please good sir go back and read all the posts you made and tell me you have not been critical of EJ and more critical of those who think he's "improved" and could still be a viable starter for the Bills

My assumed angst agains Cassel is that I would PREFER one of the younger guys to step up and not deal with another Orton type season, Hell I'll raise that & go back to Fitz paying well before the $ came then fell FLAT.

For the long term investment Mr Cassel makes little sense.

T-bow fanatics claimed Tim WAS GOOD and a proven NFL starter.

I never said EJ was a lock. So again thank you for spreading lies and twisting my words.

Cassel's past 4 seasons were worse than EJ's career has been. And Cassel can't blame inexperience and bad coaching.

See, there's an excuse right there. How the hell do you know what kind of coaching Matt Cassel had in KC and Minnesota? When EJ was airmailing balls in 7-on-7 drills all last summer, was that the coaches' fault? No more excuses. If you're better than Matt Cassel, then beat him! It's his third year now, time to let go of the pacifier.

I guessed I missed the 15 minute window.

Please good sir go back and read all the posts you made and tell me you have not been critical of EJ and more critical of those who think he's "improved" and could still be a viable starter for the Bills

My assumed angst agains Cassel is that I would PREFER one of the younger guys to step up and not deal with another Orton type season, Hell I'll raise that & go back to Fitz paying well before the $ came then fell FLAT.

For the long term investment Mr Cassel makes little sense.

T-bow fanatics claimed Tim WAS GOOD and a proven NFL starter.

I never said EJ was a lock. So again thank you for spreading lies and twisting my words.

I never said you have ever compared Tebow and Manuel. Manuel is better than Tebow. I said that the level of baseless fanaticism surrounding him, particularly on this website, has reached levels eerily similar to when people were gushing over Tebow a few years back. And it looks like we can have a real football conversation here (first time ever?) I would agree with you that starting Matt Cassel makes little sense from a long term perspective. But I think that this team's goal is to make the playoffs this season and they are going to start whoever they think gives them the best chance to win this season. Evidently Roman thinks that's Cassel. There are too many seasoned vets on this team in their prime and past their prime, who are way too hungry to snap this playoff drought, to worry about developing a kid who, quite frankly, has not shown enough to be given that opportunity. You think Fred Jackson and Kyle Williams are worried about a "long term perspective?" And find me a post where I don't acknowledge that EJ Manuel is better this offseason than last offseason. Of course he's improved. Not enough to unseat Cassel or Taylor however.

I think / believe that the Bills can make the playoffs with TT or EJ, which also secures a future w/o the endless need for a QB.

If they choose Matt, so be it. I'd hope that when things stagnate in mid Oct they go to one of the younger guys.

Again, When they announce the selection I will believe it. I have learned to not give too much credit to "I called the move before anyone else" posts . See Leroi wrt Rex then EJ getting cut, and remind me ... who said Fred was going to be cut?

less than 2 weeks to go so both / either or neither could come to fruition

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

See, there's an excuse right there. How the hell do you know what kind of coaching Matt Cassel had in KC and Minnesota? When EJ was airmailing balls in 7-on-7 drills all last summer, was that the coaches' fault? No more excuses. If you're better than Matt Cassel, then beat him! It's his third year now, time to let go of the pacifier.

How the hell do I know what kind of coaching Cassel got in KC and Minny? It's called "the internet." Meanwhile the guys coaching EJ are now a line coach and QB coach on a bad team.

As for beating Cassel, he's been in the league for 10 years, on his 4th team, and his numbers are no better than the guy who you say should "let go of the pacifier" after just 2 seasons. Never mind that he can't distinguish himself from a guy who has been in the league for 4 years and barely played during that timespan.

Hell Cassel wasn't even the Bills' first choice for a veteran QB. The guy they wanted actually looks worse and that, the indecision over the starting QB, and them actually considering going with just 2 QB's, one who hasn't been able to stay healthy and the other who is an unknown and plays a style that lends itself to getting injured, now have me concerned. The starter should have been named by now since the "dress rehearsal" 3rd pre-season game is almost upon us. Going with Cassel is just spinning wheels like going with Orton was last year.

I think / believe that the Bills can make the playoffs with TT or EJ, which also secures a future w/o the endless need for a QB.

If they choose Matt, so be it. I'd hope that when things stagnate in mid Oct they go to one of the younger guys.

Again, When they announce the selection I will believe it. I have learned to not give too much credit to "I called the move before anyone else" posts . See Leroi wrt Rex then EJ getting cut, and remind me ... who said Fred was going to be cut?

less than 2 weeks to go so both / either or neither could come to fruition

To be clear, I am not predicting that Cassel will be the starter. All I have said was that Cassel was Roman's guy before the last preseason game. Again, not that bold of a claim. For all I know he's in Taylor's camp now. I can also tell you that before the Cleveland game, Manuel was not part of the equation. Has that changed? I don't know. My guess is that it hasn't. For what it's worth, the guy I talked to predicted Cassel would be the starter but that Taylor would end up taking over the job within the first month of the season. The guy I talked to thinks Cassel sucks. He just said for whatever reason, Roman is, or at least was, pushing pretty hard for Cassel.

How the hell do I know what kind of coaching Cassel got in KC and Minny? It's called "the internet." Meanwhile the guys coaching EJ are now a line coach and QB coach on a bad team.

As for beating Cassel, he's been in the league for 10 years, on his 4th team, and his numbers are no better than the guy who you say should "let go of the pacifier" after just 2 seasons. Never mind that he can't distinguish himself from a guy who has been in the league for 4 years and barely played during that timespan.

Hell Cassel wasn't even the Bills' first choice for a veteran QB. The guy they wanted actually looks worse and that, the indecision over the starting QB, and them actually considering going with just 2 QB's, one who hasn't been able to stay healthy and the other who is an unknown and plays a style that lends itself to getting injured, now have me concerned. The starter should have been named by now since the "dress rehearsal" 3rd pre-season game is almost upon us. Going with Cassel is just spinning wheels like going with Orton was last year.

Cassel has been trusted as his team's starter many times throughout his career. He has twice led his team to 10 in seasons and made a Pro Bowl. I don't necessarily disagree with you but would you be willing to bet that ten years from now, EJ Manuel is being brought in to compete for a starting position? And as far as numbers, Manuel has not thrown for 27 TD's and 7 INT's in a season. Have Cassel's numbers regressed since then? Yes. But let's see if Manuel EVER has a season like that. And also, the "internet" was able to tell you the type of coaching Cassel got from his coordinators and QB coaches in practice every day on his last two teams? And the internet said it was good, I'm assuming?

Cassel has been trusted as his team's starter many times throughout his career. He has twice led his team to 10 in seasons and made a Pro Bowl. I don't necessarily disagree with you but would you be willing to bet that ten years from now, EJ Manuel is being brought in to compete for a starting position? And as far as numbers, Manuel has not thrown for 27 TD's and 7 INT's in a season. Have Cassel's numbers regressed since then? Yes. But let's see if Manuel EVER has a season like that. And also, the "internet" was able to tell you the type of coaching Cassel got from his coordinators and QB coaches in practice every day on his last two teams? And the internet said it was good, I'm assuming?

The quality of coaching Cassel and Taylor initially got (5 years with the Pats and 4 years with the Ravens, respectively) compared to EJ's isn't even debatable. And Cassel's OC's after leaving the Pats are all still OC'ing in the NFL while EJ's will be lucky to still be in the NFL in a year's time. The internet doesn't have to tell me it was good, or at least, far better than what EJ had.

And yes, Cassel had a good season 5 years ago, his 6th season in the NFL. What does it mean today? Not much, based on his past 4 years, 3 of which were shortened by injury. I guess when EJ gets to his 6th season and hasn't had a 27 TD 7 INT season, we can talk.

The quality of coaching Cassel and Taylor initially got (5 years with the Pats and 4 years with the Ravens, respectively) compared to EJ's isn't even debatable. And Cassel's OC's after leaving the Pats are all still OC'ing in the NFL while EJ's will be lucky to still be in the NFL in a year's time. The internet doesn't have to tell me it was good, or at least, far better than what EJ had.

And yes, Cassel had a good season 5 years ago, his 6th season in the NFL. What does it mean today? Not much, based on his past 4 years, 3 of which were shortened by injury. I guess when EJ gets to his 6th season and hasn't had a 27 TD 7 INT season, we can talk.

If EJ has the career Cassel has had, I'll eat my hat. That's the point. Edited by FireChan

Fair enough. But would you agree that despite all the great coaching that Cassel has had from every coach at every stop in his ten year career, that it's not too much to ask EJ Manuel to go out and beat Matt Cassel for a starting job in his third year as a pro? I think you'd agree that there have not been a lot of NFL QB's that couldn't beat out a guy like Matt Cassel in their third season and then went on to have a great career after that. There's been a lot of backpeddling on EJ around here. Back in the Spring, even the EJ supporters were like, "hey if EJ can't beat out Matt Cassel then I think that might be all she wrote" and now the narrative seems to be "well if EJ doesn't beat out Matt Cassel it's because his development was stunted by poor coaching." What's it gonna be next year?